Romancing the Sale

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When two more people are added to the team, the project really begins. Both are currently employed by the company and they work out of Bill and Dani's apartment. Lucky enough to get one two bedroom, furnished apartment in the complex, they are sharing it to make it easier on them.

The programmer is a male in his fifties and the tech writer is a younger female in her thirties. Each has an impressive record with the company, but they have little understanding of the project before them until they review the flow charts on the walls. That creates many discussions of things to come.

Rick has informed them that when they reach specific goals, they are to inform him and Jack. Those minimum goals are: when they are done with the majority of the research; when they complete the manual; when they complete the software; when the beta test begins; and finally when the software is ready for release. So as they reach those goals, either Dani or Bill calls to inform them.

The large flat screen TV arrives the same day the rest of the team arrives. They receive everything they requested and they work well as a team. The large flat screen TV is one of the perks and they use it to review progress with the manual and software as a group and when the job is done, the TV will be gifted to them.

The programmer reviews the algorithms and flow charts and decides to start from scratch with the software, but use some of the old code in the new software. They all put their heads together and add several more ideas to the software. The tech writer reads the first section of the manual and gives it back to Bill saying she can't use this in the new manual, that it will be rewritten. So overall, the new manual and the new software receives a face lift and new attire, giving it a totally new and improved look.

Bill and Dani's clients know what they are doing, but they do get interrupted with referrals and call-backs. Bill thought they can split the call-backs between them, but that doesn't happen. Dani still insists on doing her job. He's not surprised to see how important she is to their clients, being insistent on Dani coming on the call-backs. She has them trained so well.

Five weeks after they the rest of the team arrives, the flow charts outlining the direction of the software have overwhelmed the available wall space in the spare room and it has extended into the livingroom where most of the work is being done.

A week later, Rick arrives for an unannounced visit, to see how they are progressing. As he's invited in, he notices the living room is cluttered with flow charts and algorithms on the walls in both the livingroom and spare room along with four laptops earning a living.

Rick laughs. He knew they would give this project their all and he can see the proof. The team fills him in on the progress as he sits there in total awe at what they have accomplished so far. The ideas the team has come up with and the new ideas they introduce, impress Rick.

Rick treats the team to dinner, then leaves afterward, shaking his head at the innovations. He knows this is going to surprise the company and BOD, once they see the final product.

Ten weeks later, Jack pays them an unannounced visit, saw the same thing Rick did, had the same response, treats the team to dinner and leaves in awe of the progress after they give him an update. After that, they don't see anybody from management until they declare the project ready for the beta release.

On completion, the new manual is 186 pages, down from 504. They also make it a two volume set, each spiral bound to make it less obtrusive to work with. Volume I explains how to make the software do what it is intended to do, at 143 pages long.

Volume II is more or less a troubleshooting guide, explaining how to get out of a jam, or give users suggestions to the questions they have, at 43 pages long.

With the software and manual complete, the beta test version is ready for release so Dani informs both Jack and Rick of the progress. Included in the beta test and final release is a tutorial explaining the sequence of events required to make the software a success for the user, another added feature to make call-backs a thing of the past, hopefully.

The local customers, who they selected to review the beta version, love the new software and the new manual, but added they never even referred to the second volume, almost as if it isn't needed. The software was designed to be intuitive, to make it flow better, be easier to follow and the beta release confirmed it succeeds in doing so. The tutorial is also given lots of praise by local customers. That gave them more thank you's than they could ever expect.

When the beta test is called completed by Bill, the few errors that were found are corrected and the whole package was reviewed again. When the team declares it ready for release, Rick and Jack come to town, tackle the software and are unable to find any problems. They are very impressed with the ease of flow the new software has and Rick admits the company will be the first on the market with it and the BOD will approve it without hesitation. A huge smile shows on his face, so all is well.

With that approval, the software changes from an upgrade to a new release. It took them six weeks longer than they originally anticipated, but it's not bad for a wild ass guess, as Jack described it.

* * * * *

Soon after, the team breaks down the apartment, turns it back into a living space and they all return to their normal jobs. Then, at Rick's invitation, the team travels to corporate headquarters and, at a scheduled meeting, they present the new product to all seven BOD members. As a result, they receive tremendous congratulations and overwhelming support for the product. Jack and Rick are especially proud of the team's accomplishment and not surprised it was received so well.

The day after, at another company meeting, they get special recognition for the successful completion of the project. The BOD loves the new product, approves its release and as a result, each team member receives a $50,000 bonus check on the spot from the company.

They are floored. Dani cries and Bill has to hold her to prevent her from collapsing, she's so happy. When the applause came from the company, it starts all over again.

The team spends three days at headquarters with the top brass and the whole event gives them special recognition by the BOD. They are so happy, they can barely control their emotions. They are jubilant about their success, happy with each other and proud of their accomplishment as a team.

When most of the celebration is behind them, in a brief, quiet moment, when Bill and Dani realize they are at least five feet from everybody, she looks toward the sky and says, "Thank you, Mom, for leading me to Bill. It was worth all the pain I endured. Now, you can rest in peace, knowing I will be taken care of for the rest of my life. I love you, Mom."

Then, with tears in her eyes, she sobs, turns to Bill and gives him a tight embrace, one he will never forget. Bill responds in kind and neither will ever forget this moment.

The End

1...5678910