Rudy Ch. 04: Stacey

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Charl's hand started to shake nervously. "Yes, I grew up there, why?" He feared that Rudy's interest in him had something to do with Lisa.

"Then you should know Lisa. Lisa Bruwer! She's also from Hoedspruit, should have been in matric in the same year as you!"

Charl's throat went dry and he coughed nervously. His eyes scanned the area for inspiration while his brain was desperately trying to formulate a response. Finally, he took a deep breath. "Oh yeah, Lisa Bruwer. She's doing great, she got married to a local farmer this past December."

Rudy was shocked at the revelation, he was sure that Lisa would wait for him. His brain worked overtime to formulate an appropriate response. "Err... Well... send her my regards when you see her again."

"I will." Charl sensed Rudy's disappointment and tried to justify the news he broke to Lisa. "And how is Helen doing?"

Rudy immediately realized whom Charl was referring to. He chuckled before answering. "I think she and her wife are very happy." He saw the confusion on Charl's face. "Helen and I only pretended to have something going. She wanted to avoid the advances from other men, and I wanted to keep the women off my back, so I could focus on my studies, because there was someone else I loved."

Charl's eyes widened, realizing that 'someone else' was Lisa. "But you... your relationship with Helen seemed so real!"

Rudy bit his lip before he explained. "We needed to make it convincing, otherwise it wouldn't work." He looked at his watch. "I need to get going, the ceremony is about to start.

An emptiness overwhelmed Rudy, regretting that he believed the age-old wisdom. The wisdom which made him lose Lisa.

'If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it is yours. If it doesn't, then it was never yours.'

Rudy noticed a couple hugging each other before breaking up with a short, but loving kiss. The woman, in her toga and graduation cap, stepped into the graduate's area, while the man turned around to go to the spectator's entrance. He stopped and turn around, putting his fingers onto his lips and blew a kiss. Rudy looked at the woman, she too blew a kiss. An engagement ring glinted in the light when she waved him off.

Rudy picked up his head, took a deep breath, and walked confidently into the graduates' waiting hall. Lisa wasn't his, but he was sure that, somewhere, there would be someone who was his. And when they meet, he'll see to it that he doesn't lose her as well. He'll make sure that she would be his.

****

April - University of Pretoria

Rudy desperately wanted to sing in the choir the previous year, but the effort he had put into his studies was worth it. He re-joined the choir for his final year at university, because it was unlikely that he'd sing in another formal choir. His best prospects in Ellisras would be an impromptu church choir which was working on an Easter program or a Christmas program.

His mind was in turmoil during the Easter break. He had already resolved to pick up his head and forget about Lisa, it would be his only option if he wanted to move on. If he wanted to give another woman a fair chance with him. But it was difficult to forget Lisa, and he frequently lapsed in depression.

It was Rebecca, his sister-in-law, who straightened out his thoughts. She encouraged him to relax and not to be constantly on the lookout for a soulmate. To go to places where he'd meet lots of people. Not bars and nightclubs where the character of most people were questionable.

She encouraged him to go to one or more of the churches on campus; there, he'd meet suitable-wife material. And not to force anything, but to just let it happen. He still wasn't convinced, but decided to try it out in any case.

He deliberately returned in time to attend a church service at a congregation near campus, but was disappointed. Very few students had returned, and it was mostly the established elderly members of the congregation who were there. He was immediately spotted, and an elderly couple came over for a quick chat.

There were a handful of younger congregants, which gave him the opportunity to socialize with women in his target age. Although he didn't spot 'wife material', it nonetheless settled his nerves.

When choir practice approached, he realized that choir practice could serve a secondary purpose. There, too, he could be on the lookout for suitable 'candidates'. He knew that the typical choir member would have high moral standards due to their love of culture, exactly the type of soulmate he would be interested in. His mind first worked through the sopranos, and then through the altos. When done, he thought he had suitable options, but had to scratch a number of them off his list, who were in serious relationships. It left only a few, but he decided to be open-minded during the next practice, as he may have overlooked a few possibilities.

Rudy arrived early and watched as more members arrived. He scanned the room for potential candidates. A giggling circle of first-year sopranos drew his gaze in their direction. There was a mixture of sexy, slim eighteen-year-olds, a fair number of overweight ones, and even one who was seriously underweight.

He felt a light tuck in his groin when the thought crossed his mind, that some of them may still be virgins. Another burst of childish giggles convinced him to scan further.

A group of second-years, consisting of both sopranos and altos, caught his eyes next; he earlier considered one of them a suitable option.

They seemed to be more relaxed and serious. Light laughter could be heard from time to time. Most of them were slightly overweight, including the one he initially considered. He wondered where on his list of values, 'obesity' would be. He decided that, although it may influence him, the woman's personality and character would totally overrule her figure.

With this in mind, he watched the group for a while. Then he realized that if one of them turned out to be his soulmate, then she'd either have to leave varsity prematurely, or he'd be forced to put his life on hold for a year. And he had had firsthand experience of how that could turn out. Since none of them stood out as a hot candidate, he decided to move on.

His gaze scanned past a few couples chatting. A soprano, who had put on some weight since Rudy last saw her, chatting with a hulky bass drew his attention. She must be in her third year, or even been a postgraduate, since he remembered her from two years ago. He remembered her sparkling personality, and that he was drawn to her, himself. If he hadn't been foolishly clinging onto his love for Lisa, he might have been the lucky guy chatting with her. Thinking back, he realized that she was slightly obese at the time, and her full figure didn't bother him then.

He decided to be more open-minded in his search, as he focused on the few third-year students. Their body shapes had the same mix as the second-years. Their conversation seemed to be even more mature. He knew most of them from his earlier stint in the choir. None of them drew his attention then, and none of them did now.

An unfamiliar woman joined the group. She emerged from the nearby restrooms and stood with her back towards Rudy. She introduced herself to the group and with the formalities done, the spontaneity in the group immediately escalated. Her 35-26-32 figure drew his attention, which elevated the unknown newcomer to the top of Rudy's list.

He was still pondering how he would approach her, when Dr Steyn tapped his conductor baton on his music stand, to get everybody's attention. The mystery member turned around and stood unsure, a few steps behind the Maestro. Her pert, C-sized breasts, conservatively hidden under a collared blouse, increased Rudy's fascination with her.

Dr. Steyn spoke up. "Welcome back, everybody. I hope you all learned your notes and kept your voices in practice." He looked into a sea of guilty faces. Next, he called the senior female student to stand closer. "Please welcome, Stacey Myburgh, a new soprano. She just completed her B.Com and is now doing her HED."

Her background sealed the deal for Rudy. He must surely have a chat with her. He could just hope that she doesn't have a boyfriend - and he didn't see a ring!

****

Two hours later - Uncle Larry's lounge:

Stacy was overwhelmed with at least five 'admirers' who battled for her attention on her arrival. Two slipped in on the chairs next to her and the other three claimed the seats across the table.

Stacey wasn't impressed, they were all second-year students who got their courage from being in the group. She was hoping to get more mature attention, but most of the more senior members seemed to be already attached, sitting next to each other, almost at the other end of the table. A waiter arrived and she ordered a glass of red wine.

Rudy caught her eyes when he arrived, and arranged a seat between two unattached third-year altos. They seemed nervous in his presence, and she wondered why. More drink orders were taken and delivered.

Then she looked guiltily down, as Rudy looked in her direction. Her heart rate increased, as she liked the idea that he looked at her. One of the second-years across the table from her, saw an opportunity to chat with a sexy first-year, who had just arrived, and rushed to claim the empty seat next to her. A third-year tenor asked one of the remaining guys to move to the empty chair, so he and his girlfriend could sit next to each other.

Samantha, the new accompanist, tapped her wine glass with a teaspoon to get the group's attention. She started her speech when the murmur quieted down. "Please accept my apologies for not arranging this event after the first practice." A round of 'boos' ensued, mostly from the second-years. Sam wasn't perturbed, and looked at Stacey. "It is super to welcome Stacey in our midst in this way." The second-years around her responded with a cheer and clapped their hands in a welcoming gesture.

Sam continued, "Let us drink on making good music, and even better friends." She raised her glass and clinked the glasses in her vicinity, looking everyone in the eyes, while doing so.

Rudy smiled - it seemed as if the tradition he started, had continued.

When Stacey clinked her glass with the second-year right across her, she looked at the couple next to him, trying to get a word in with them.

"No, no, no. That's not the way to make a toast." Stacey's head swung towards the youngster who didn't wait to explain in a boisterous voice for all to hear. "You need to look the other person straight in the eyes. when you clink your glasses. Otherwise, you'll have bad sex for the rest of your life." He held his glass in Stacey's direction, waiting for her to look him into the eyes and tap his glass with hers. Then he got up and clinked everyone's glass, making sure that they looked him into the eyes.

The senior bass wanted to say something, but his girlfriend pushed him back. The girlfriend used the opportunity to address Stacey. "Do you want to ask me something? It seemed like it, just when Sam wanted to make her speech. By the way, I'm Lucy, and this is Matt, my boyfriend."

Stacey was thankful for the more mature conversation. She leaned over to shake the couple's hands. Then she looked towards Rudy. "Who's that older tenor at the other end of the table?"

Lucy and Matt answered in unison, "Rudy!". Lucy gave Matt a side glance and continued. "He was a member two years ago, but he didn't sing last year."

The two second years next to Stacey must have realized the significance of Stacey's question, and lost interest in her company. They scanned the area for alternative socialization, and left.

Stacey thought a bit at Lucy's response. "That explains why he's so familiar with those seniors. But why then, would they seem so... nervous?"

Matt barged in with an explanation. "Because he had a fling with Helen, the accompanist, probably banged her at every overnight stay, and they think his interest in them is to bang them as well, when we go on tour."

Lucy jabbed her elbow into Matt's rib cage. "Don't talk nonsense." Then in a softer, secretive whisper. "Helen was a lesbian, she used Rudy as protection. They never would have had sex. I think Rudy played along, because he had some disappointment and wanted to be left alone. So, their fake relationship worked for both of them. For the two girls next to Rudy, they're lesbians. I guess they're nervous because they think Rudy is trying to hit on one of them."

A smile grew on Stacey's face, who whispered to herself. 'Challenge accepted.' She realized that Rudy wanted to play it safe; he sounded like the reliable type of husband she hoped for, to get at choir, after Justin cheated on her. She carefully steered the conversation away from Rudy.

Another senior couple joined the conversation. It was the alto who introduced themselves. "Hi, I'm Maggy, and this is Graham. Would you mind if we join you?"

Stacey looked up and smiled. "Sure, you're welcome." She moved to the empty chair in front of Lucy, so Maggy and Graham could sit next to each other, next to her. She offered her hand to Graham. "I'm..."

Graham took her hand and silenced her. "We all know you're Stacey." Maggy leaned over to give Stacey a hug.

Some choir members, mostly students with imminent commitments, just popped in at this first social event of the year to show their interest. They had something light like tea, a milkshake or even just a glass of water. Soon, they started to leave and when a seat near Rudy opened up, Stacey excused herself to 'powder her nose', hoping the seat would still be available on her return.

Lucy leaned towards Maggy. "I think she's interested in Rudy. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd excuse herself on her return to chat with him."

The last of the second-years, who was still hoping to hit on Stacey, got the message and joined another conversation elsewhere. Another couple soon filled their vacated seats. They introduced themselves as Edward and Tasha when Stacey returned.

Stacey was still making plans to excuse herself, when Rudy stood up and walked over to the group. She hadn't noticed that the seat next to her was vacated. She blushed notably, when Rudy asked the group if he may join.

Graham took initiative to chat with Rudy about his studies. He, too, was interested in doing research at Onderstepoort after completion of his B.Sc in biology. Rudy and Stacey swapped places, so Rudy could sit next to Graham.

Mercifully, Lucy engaged with her, asking her about her future plans. Stacey told Lucy that she'd finish her HED, and then would look for an appointment at a school which was close to Cape Town, where her parents lived.

Lucy probed Stacey about her 'love life', to which Stacey simply stated 'Boring, nothing going on.'

Although Rudy focused on Graham, he kept his ears open to the conversation going on next to him. He managed to catch snippets and concluded that Stacey was potentially available for a relationship.

Stacey similarly tried to follow the chat between the two men next to her, and learned that Rudy had had no social life in the past year, and was just starting to settle down into a normal life again. She concluded that Rudy was unattached and 'available'.

Edward and Tasha had already excused themselves by the time that Graham and Rudy's conversation petered out. Graham and Maggy soon excused themselves.

Their departure left only Stacey, Rudy, Matt and Lucy in the group. Stacey got nervous. Although she would love to interact with Rudy, she also didn't want to seem too eager. She decided to mirror Lucy's interest and ask her about her future plans.

Rudy and Matt started to chat about their cars and the latest models which caught their eyes. Rudy secretly hoped that Stacey wouldn't leave mid-conversation, because he would love to chat with her privately.

Lucy soon noticed the secret glances exchanged between Rudy and Stacey and realized that the two needed a bit of privacy. She placed her hand on Matt's shoulder, and waited for a break in the men's conversation. "I didn't realize that it was so late. I still have to do some preparation for tomorrow's class." Then she looked at Rudy and Stacey. "Feel free to finish the wine off in this bottle," she offered, her eyes looking towards the two empty wine glasses in front of the two. The two waved at the last remaining couple at the other end of the table, and walked to the cashier to pay their bill.

Rudy didn't waste time to split the remaining wine between their glasses. He picked his glass up and held it in Stacey's direction and waited for her to do the same. "Welcome to the choir, I hope it will provide you what you are looking for."

"Thank you." Stacey smiled at the thought, that the choir might already have provided her with what she was looking for. She almost snorted when she remembered about the good sex, and visualized Rudy getting into bed with her.

Rudy and Stacey were almost done with their wine. The last couple came over to say their goodbyes and welcomed Stacey to the choir once again. Rudy picked his glass up and again held it in Stacey's direction. As Stacey clinked his glass, he gave a toast. "To the good evening that was." In the back of his mind, he, too, was already thinking about good sex. He finished off his glass and looked at Stacey doing the same.

"Would you be offended if I pay your bill, as well?" Rudy looked nervously at Stacey.

Stacy smiled sweetly at him. "I wouldn't be offended, but there's no way that I'll allow it." Her eyes started to sparkle. "We barely know each other."

Rudy took a deep breath, did she just give him the opportunity to ask her out on a date? He jumped at the opportunity. "Well, then we need to correct the situation. What are you doing Saturday night? Say seven at the 'Steak and Grill'? I'll pick you up at quarter-to-seven.

Stacey blushed, as she took her purse and looked Rudy into the eyes. "Deal!" There was a bounce in her step, when she got up and walked over to the cashier to pay her bill.

Rudy followed her, enjoying the way her bum swayed and her skirt bounced. He paid his bill and walked Stacey to her car. They gave each other a parting hug, nothing special, but with a lot of promise.

****

Winter Break choir tour to the Western Cape - Cape Town

Rudy was nervous, Stacey's parents would be in the audience, and she arranged that they meet up during the intermission. He wondered what they would think of him and if they would appreciate his interest in their daughter.

It was the choir's first performance of the tour. Rudy and Stacey immediately clicked, both believing that the other was the soulmate they were looking for. They became an item, even to the extent that Sam offered them accommodation in a double room to share, where she could arrange it. She said that it wasn't unusual - she does it for other unmarried couples.

But Rudy and Stacey declined. They already discussed the issue of sex and both agreed to delay it for as long as possible, so both could be sure that it was what they wanted to do. Her parents' approval of Rudy was a vital checkpoint before Stacey would consider more intimacy. It should have been no surprise that Stacey, too, was nervous about the planned introduction of Rudy to her parents.

Their fears were misplaced because both Stacey's mother and father were immediately impressed with Rudy's honest and open personality. And after the lovebirds' nerves calmed down, Stacey's parents could clearly see how happy Rudy made their daughter. They feared for her wellbeing after her first love, Justin, devastated her trust in men.

They started to think of Rudy as their future son-in law, which prompted Stacey's father, Jeff, to ask Rudy about his future plans.

Although Rudy had already considered his options, the question still caught Rudy off-guard. After clearing his throat to straighten his thoughts, he responded. "I've sent out feelers to a few universities, hopefully there's some academic vacancies. I'm also scanning the classifieds for opportunities as a farm manager, I've seen a few good ads and sent my CV out. It elicited a few responses, some very promising, but there's nothing concrete yet. But I'm keeping my eyes open and my ear to the ground in the meantime."