Rules are Made to be Broken Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Well, I hope you're not planning some stupid diet, because I brought your favourite for after pizza.' She smiles, opening a cake box to reveal two generous slices of red velvet cake with thick cream cheese frosting. She knows me so well.

I pour us each a large glass of white wine and join my friend on the sofa. She's looking just past me, distracted by something.

'You okay?' I ask. She nods before replying,

'Uh huh. Just thinking that's an awfully big bouquet of flowers for a girl who's definitely not dating anyone.' She looks at me pointedly. I glance over my shoulder at Sam's gift and say,

'What? I'm not allowed to treat myself?' I'm already blushing as she looks at me knowingly,

'You are the worst liar, Blake!'

'Okay, fine!' I relent, 'Yes, they are from the man I'm definitely not dating.' She raises a brow at me, 'He's just a friend.' I shrug innocently.

'Jess, men do not send flowers like that to their friends. I don't even get flowers like that from Tom on our anniversary!'

'Oh, come on, Tom is a total sweetheart -- he's always buying you flowers!'

'Pretty posies from Waitrose, sure -- not spectacular arrangements that wouldn't look out of place in reception at The Savoy!' she scoffs. 'And don't try to change the subject.' She adds, scowling at me. I'm suddenly very glad my new necklace is tucked safely in my bedroom.

'Alright, alright. Maybe he's a little more than a friend, and yes, I do like him. But it's all very new, and I don't really know what's going on yet. As soon as there's anything to tell, I promise you'll be the first to know, deal?'

'I better be.' She half pouts, half smiles, 'And, as your best friend, I'm just going to put it out there, if you like him -- at least give yourself permission to see where it goes.' She looks at me pointedly, with her serious face on, then softens, 'I know there hasn't really been anyone since -- you know -- and I totally understand why you're cautious, but you can't let the past hold you back forever, Jess. Try not to overthink it.' She smiles at me in a way that says she knows I absolutely will overthink it.

'I know. And I'll try.' I force a smile back,

'Jessica, if he makes you happy -- let him.' She says firmly, 'Goodness knows you deserve it.' She adds with a smile, squeezing my hand affectionately. I return her smile, but I'm suddenly very aware that the man I absolutely do like has made it very clear how he feels about dating, and the happy ending she wants for me, that I want for me too, is probably no more than a pipe dream with him anyway.

* * * * *

By the time the cab comes to take Anna home, we are both stuffed and merry. All that remains of our night of gossiping and giggling are two empty wine bottles, a few slices of pizza and some red crumbs in the bottom of the cake box. She gives me a tight hug goodbye

'Don't be a stranger beautiful!' she says, planting a kiss on my cheek, and I feel a blush rising at her choice of endearment, glad that it's too dark for her to notice.

I wave her off, close the door and flop down on the sofa. The last week has been a nonstop whirlwind and I'm exhausted.

My phone chimes. I pick it up and read a text from Sam

'Hey Beautiful, good night?'

I quickly tap out a reply,

'Very...pleasurable ;) Yours?'

I hit send and his response takes no time,

'Uneventful. Still time to change that though. Send Harvey to pick you up?'

I can't say I'm not tempted, but that could be the wine talking so I reply before I agree to anything I probably shouldn't,

'It's late Mr Byron. The only place I'm going is to bed. ALONE! Good night X'

I mentally pat myself on the back for my outstanding restraint as I read his reply,

'Seems like a waste, but your rest is important. Good night beautiful x'

I commend myself again for doing the sensible thing and head to bed... only slightly wishing that Sam Byron was in there waiting for me.

12