Sad Son Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lauren blushes, so cute, then explains, "I follow my cousin. He's adorable, in case you haven't noticed. Hal's ability impressed him more than anyone I've ever seen. He looked like a dork with the home haircut and hand me down clothes. I mean, what guy wears women's sweatpants and jeans? I knew instantly what his life was like. Now, Gail, she was dressed nice. She had a new blouse, skirt, lace bra that showed her beautiful girls, and long, toned legs that flowed into her new shoes.

"My heart broke for him. It was painfully obvious what his life was like. I did everything I could to help him out. I doubted your ability to care for your brother. I knew instantly he had talent as I heard his sad songs. Everything else I have heard before. Jeremy is about as good as it comes technically. However, he can't invoke the emotions Hal conjours up when he plays. Hal plays with sadness and love in his music.

"Now, to answer your question, I'm here to check you all out. I'm a lesbian. The porn stars are fun, but I need some new blood. Lots of hot women around Hal. I remember Kate, she's something special. All of you are as well. However, I have difficulty reconciling how you've treated your own brother. I'm not sure any of you are worthy."

Hot damn! That was NOT what I was expecting.

I look at Michelle, "You don't care about Hal; why are you here?"

Mitch flinches. That's good to see. He loves his daughter very much.

Michelle reluctantly explains her story, "I don't hate Hal. He's just not the type of guy that does anything for me. My dad was my role model growing up. He's a big strong man that defends his wife. I saw it twice when I was young. I like him; he's cute in a dweeb kind of way. But no way I am losing my alpha female position at school to defend Hal. I asked my dad to help him and spread the word, but personally, no, I couldn't do it."

Sara is back, and she shocks us all, "You're a real piece of shit, you know that? You're that type of woman that dates those four that hurt Hal. No morals, no ethics, just do what feels good to you. Well, let me tell you. I've seen thousands of guys like you're describing. They'll fuck you, give you a baby, marry you, and then leave you for their secretary."

"I'll take a guy like Hal any day of the week. He will be a considerate lover. With Hal, it's not all about him. He can look me in the eyes when we talk. Any idea how many of your boyfriends could do that with me? We begged him to suck our nipples. He never thought that earned him a shot at one of us. After hearing his music, none of us would have said no. He's going to make millions. You're going to end up being a single mother working two jobs to put your child through college.

"I've had enough of this. Andrea, Becky has signed all the papers; I will start our group on it tonight. I need some of his recordings. That will help a bunch. I really want anything sad. That will bring out the emotions. Good luck."

She turns around, walks away, stops after ten feet, turns around to make sure we're all watching, and we are. Then she walks away, swaying her hips even more.

Jeremy said it best, "I'm married, and even I want to fuck her."

Lauren hit him in the arm playfully. He mockingly looks devastated.

Michelle says to Mitch, "Come on, dad, we have school tomorrow."

Mitch stands up, "Sorry, my designated driver is running off on me. No, no, I'm not drunk. I get weak after a chemo treatment. It's safer for her to drive."

We all take a deep breath in understanding.

Mitch has a tear in his eye, "I asked Hal not to say anything. Dam, he's special."

They walk off with an arm around each other.

Donna looks sad, "Poor Hal. I thought she liked him but was scared. She really doesn't like him. He's going to be heartbroken."

Jeremy puts an arm around Donna and says, "Women lie to themselves when forced to confront their true feelings. I don't buy her story. I wouldn't close the book on her yet. You gave Sara some video files of Hal. I've only seen some of his stuff and nothing that you showed Lauren and Sara. Could I hear more of Hal? I have some projects coming up. If he recovers, I would like to see how he does in a studio.

"I also understand that one of you is working on a project for him. He explained what he wanted. I think that would be perfect for the stuff I want to do. Ever since he told me about it, thoughts have been running through my head with the possibilities."

Casey's turn to talk, "Sorry, it's a Christmas present. I am almost done. I need to make real circuit boards and then a case. I sure would like to know if it works as expected. It's hard to tell on small speakers and a phone. My scope says it's working, but I need a live test."

An excited Jeremy offers, "Here's my card. As soon as you finish, I'll have you stop by the studio, and I'll test it out on a real amplifier. I'll give you feedback and suggestions if it needs more adjusting. How did you know how long to bleed the sound?"

Casey answers with a huge smile, "He said it was a quarter note, so I measured one."

Jeremy smiles back and suggests, "There are all kinds of lengths in music; it's not all 4/4. How about adding a dial, making it adjustable?"

Casey screams, "Brilliant! I know it will be perfect that way, and he can adjust as needed. What do these things sell for? Can I make money from them?"

Jeremy is still smiling, "The cheap stuff is $50. They go up to $600 with more sounds or effects. First, DO NOT sell your idea and get it patented ASAP. With all the people who play guitar, oh yes, you can live off that. If a top ten song uses one, it will sell like crazy. Start looking for a manufacturing company. If Hal has more ideas, you MIGHT make more money than him. If you need money, I will find investors. In my opinion, I think it's going to be huge. Nothing's better than hearing your own music on the radio. I suspect it will be the same for you at hearing your sounds."

Becky joined the conversation, and it was an excellent way to blow two hours as we waited on the news of Hal. Most of us end up taking a nap during the six-hour procedure. We each get an hour or two of much-needed rest. Jeremy and at least two of us needed to stay awake the entire time.

I'm surprised at Jeremy. He's only met Hal twice, yet he seems to almost admire him. What else explains him being here? Jeremy talked a lot about getting Hal in the studio and recording stuff. They seem equal at the fast, technical playing. Jeremy admitted that he can't bring out the emotions that Hal can. I guess that gives him the ability to help anyone with recording, not just the hard-core groups.

Oh my, I see it now. Although technical and amazing, Jeremy's type of playing is a small percentage of the industry. I'm sure he can play other stuff, but the emotional, romantic songs are out of his league, where Hal eats that up. If Becky's gizmos are unique, that gives him a sound nobody else can produce. Well, up until she starts selling them by the thousands.

*****

Six hours later, Dr. Santana comes out, still in her scrubs. She's full of sweat and looks worn out. Jeremy is quick to wake everyone.

Dr. Santos explains, "Someone stepped on his fingers and shattered the bones. Let me assure you, that's NOT a good thing. Without me, no way he would ever play again. Even with me, I don't know if he will be able to play. He will be functional. He will be able to dress, feed, and clean himself. He will be able to write and do buttons. However, a musician needs strength to press strings and strum the strings. They need to move lightning quick and with a deft touch.

"Ideally, my procedure puts him back almost like new. Time will tell. Right now, everything is in place. I don't want him straining his hands or arms. He stays home and will need someone to watch over him. Bathe, feed, clean, dress, write, change channels.

"Christmas Eve, the casts can come off. Then no playing for another two weeks, or when physical therapy says you can. There are specialists for musicians; they will know how to get his flexibility, strength, and range of motion back.

"His sad songs reminded me of my father when I was young. I sure hope he has a future. It was amazing listening to the concerts with the crowds. Again, it reminded me of my father. It's 5:00 AM. My team is beat; we're going back to our rooms and getting some sleep. I will check up on him before I leave. He should be up in an hour or two. Only one is allowed back there. Soon he will be in a patient room, and then you can all see him. Any questions?"

I ask, "How many pieces were there? Were all the fingers badly damaged? What parts of the finger were damaged?"

She laughs, "I'm tired. Have them share his records with you. I documented everything in fine detail. I will need you to sign a non-disclosure agreement. My notes give away my secrets, and they're not published yet. Goodbye, everyone. 3:00 PM tomorrow at the earliest."

She looked tired. That was a long time to be doing that kind of work.

I ask my sisters, "We don't all need to be here. Who wants to go home?"

Gail asks, "Are you going home?"

Dumb question. I reply, "No, I want... I see your point. I'm going to check on the notes in his file. If I find Hal, there will be a nurse close by. I'll be back."

I find a nurse that points me to recovery rooms. I find Hal still sleeping. It's not long before his nurse checks up on him and points me at a computer. I am in the same system, just a different facility. I can log on as myself and read the surgeon's notes.

I go back to see Hal, and he's coming around. No nurse is about, and he's pulling on his arms. OH SHIT! That's bad.

I use a soft but forceful voice to shake him awake, "HAL! HAL! Stop moving." His eyes open. "Calm down. A specialist was here to operate on your fingers. You're restrained, so you don't move your hands. They're in a cast almost to your elbows. Because your recovery is at a dangerous point now, you've been restrained."

He makes me laugh when he says, "Well, there is a first for anything. Did you ever think you would use the words Hal and dangerous in the same sentence?"

I shake his hair and smile, "Never."

I have difficulty not smiling as I ask, "Have you ever heard of a Carlos Santana?"

He rolls his eyes, "Now I know you're messing with me. That dude is famous."

I laugh at him and then explain, "His daughter did your surgery. They tested a new procedure on you. I expect you will meet her before she goes home?"

He looks sad, "She came from out of town? How are we going to pay for that?"

I object strongly, "Hey there, finance is my job. You let me worry about that. We need you to play guitar, have fun, and make records!"

He looks sad, and with good reason, "Can you guarantee me that I will play again?"

I reply, "Jeremy said that you will play again. The question is: will you be playing songs with feeling or songs with feeling AND super hard technical songs like before. Dr. Santana holds out high hopes for you. She loved your music. She listened to it while she was operating on you. She said your sad stuff reminded her of her father, Carlos. That's some praise."

The little shit smiles at me, "You smiled when you mentioned Jeremy."

I blush, "Shush you, he's married with a family."

Even tied to the bed, he knocks me over by saying, "Why do cute, young women wear wedding rings?"

I'm stunned, "Jeremy isn't...."

He's chuckling at me, "You blushed and got tongue-tied. You're in love. You have lots of competition. All your sisters. Lauren."

I burst his bubble, "Sorry. She was telling us just tonight, she's a card-carrying lesbian."

He finishes my sentence, "... that likes her cousin. Just like every other woman does."

I try to distract him, "Michelle was here. We found out why she doesn't like you. She had problems with boys twice, and her big strong dad saved her. So now she needs a big strong boyfriend. You will never be that man."

Surprisingly, he's happy, saying, "Nope. That's not me. Not now, not ever."

He is way too smug. I was expecting him to make that a topic for a while.

I tease him, "That wasn't exactly the answer I expected out of you. What do you know that we don't?"

The little shit is playing with me, "Me? I have no idea what you're talking about."

Standing up with my fingers near his ribs, I threaten him, "You're restrained, and I can tickle you until you pee yourself. What do you know?"

He relents, "OK! OK! Stop. It's nothing she says; it's her actions. She made her dad give me a tryout. She was never mean to me. She didn't stand up for me either. I think she feels guilty that she didn't. She's no longer a cheerleader. She showed up to Wisconsin and showed up here tonight."

I shoot that down, "That was because Mitch had a chemo treatment tonight and won't drive."

He adds, "Yet he didn't look tired, and she was the one to say that, and not him. I think she's in denial. It's OK. I'm more than thrilled with my current girlfriend. She's amazing."

I can only smile; he's right. His girlfriend of course are his sisters,and they are amazing people.

Because he's awake and doing well, they un-bind him. He does get strict instructions on what not to do. Let me sum it up, don't move, and he may talk. He is to do nothing on his own. We will move him up the bed or to his side. Not following directions will be catastrophically bad for his progress toward recovery.

Within an hour, he is in a room by himself. They know there will be crowds.

Samantha, the first nurse, set expectations, "I know you're a big family. I saw the crowd for him. I have eighteen other patients that need sleep. I'm limiting you to six quiet family members and only four if nonfamily is here. We have visiting hours. I will allow one of you outside of those hours since he can't press the button.

"I have a bunch of patients; I want you or a family member watching him close. No sleeping while you're here, or I'll kick them out. I'm in charge here. We're shorthanded, so I'm allowing you to assist... unofficially."

I suggest, "He had an experimental surgery done. The care instructions are specific and not typical. You NEED to read all the notes to fully understand. There are things you need to be looking for. I'm two months from being an ER doc, I can't miss school. All his sisters are in college or graduate school like me. We will make sure one of us is here at all times."

I reach out and hold her arm, "My sisters need to see him. They haven't seen him for over eight hours. They're stressed. I will give them a rundown on his care, and we will make a schedule. I will try to get my friends to take turns on their days off. We will be quiet; you have my word."

She nods OK and takes off because her pager went off. I text my sisters Hal's room number and to be quiet coming up. We're after regular visiting hours.

*****

This begins two of the longest months of my life. Within a week, Hal is home. He has a cast on until Christmas Eve, and one of us is home at all times. Every day off I spent with Hal. To me, wiping an ass is no big deal. To my sisters, it was no fun. By the end of eight weeks, we are all tired and tired of Hal. It's not that we hate him or he did anything wrong. It's that he's helpless, and we do everything twice, once for ourselves and once for him. We are all wore down.

The porn stars raised a lot of money. I still had to remortgage our paid-off home and max out our line of credit. Our trust fund is about dead as well. On a positive note, Becky, Casey, and I all graduated early, and we have great jobs.

I work at the hospital I was training in. Becky's firm hired her on, and Casey is working for a small company that wants to make cheap devices for poor people worldwide. Things like water pump generators that run on wind or flowing water. She's also been working with Jeremy to make the gizmo that Hal wants to test out.

Because we all just started, it will be a few weeks before we see a paycheck. That will help big time. Not having to babysit Hal will improve everyone's mood.

The good news is Hal's fingers, they think, are healing better than expected. Today, we find out when his casts come off. Lauren and Michelle have been no-shows all along. The porn stars have made appearances to check up on Hal. He loves it when they come over. Sara is his most frequent visitor.

We haven't told Hal yet, but Kate left the school because she was too embarrassed to return. That's going to hurt him a lot. She went back to her parent's home. She is suing the four boys, but their families have no money. They were all charged as adults, and they were told to expect to spend some time in jail. With full prisons and their first-time offense, they will get out early.

*****

December 24th

Location: Local Orthopedic Surgery Offices

Point of view: Hal

On walking into the office with all my sisters, I am sent for an x-ray. Andrea said this would happen. Thirty minutes later, they called my name. I've been here several times now. They know my story and all my sisters. It's no surprise when we are all led to a conference room where Dr. Sharon Patel meets us. She knows Andrea is now an ER doctor, so the first thing she does is put the x-rays up on the overhead projector. It's cool; she did it from her laptop.

Sharon states, "From what I see here, everything looks great, just like it has all along. It appears that Hal has been good... so far. Unless Andrea can see something, I don't; I want to take off his casts."

Andrea looks close at the x-rays and then offers her opinions, "It's amazing. I don't see any screws, bars, bands, or cracks in the bones. I don't even see any evidence that he had broken fingers."

Sharon adds, "Using the dissolvable sutures was a fantastic idea. Nothing else would have left him like this. I have seen some nasty fingers after something as bad as Hal had. I would have thought two fingers on each hand were a lost cause for a musician. That woman and her team did a fantastic job. I saw the write-up in the journals. Her new procedure and Hal got a lot of attention.

"I will add my finding both now and in four weeks when you come back. By that time, the Physical Therapy should have results."

I comment, "I'm ready, take these off. Now?"

Sharon laughs, "You all stay here. I will take Hal and remove his clubs. Then I will bring him back here."

Gail is first to ask, "Will he ever play again like before?"

We all want to know that answer.

Sharon shrugged her shoulders and points her finger right in front of my face, "I wish I knew. I will warn you. NO PLAYING... until physical therapy says it's OK to start. I don't want you putting pressure on the ends of your fingertips or mashing things."

Andrea adds, "Your muscles have not moved in eight weeks. They're going to be stiff and weak. Let PT build up your muscles."

Sharon continues, "No heavy lifting either. Toilet paper, clothes, silverware are OK; all else, not yet. Until told, no writing. I bet you have someone that would not mind assisting. When PT says it's OK, then start doing what they suggest. My guess is that you will be allowed to do many things each week. It's essential to do your homework. Think of it like math; each week builds on what you improved or conditioned the previous week."

There were no more questions. Sharon stood up, took me by my hand, and removed my casts. As I walk back into the room, I get incredible hugs from my sisters. Little did I know, we are all happy for different reasons. I'm so glad because we can continue our relationship. They're happy because they've had enough of me. Staying up late, worrying about my healing, wiping my ass, feeding me. It's all taken a toll on them, and they want space from me.

As soon as we get home, everyone goes to their rooms. I am alone by the front door, standing by myself, as everyone else rushes for the solitude of their room. They don't want to be around me for a while. That is when I realize what a pain in the ass I've been to them.