Saving the Doctor Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Everything you said yesterday was right, and it took guts, and I acted like an ungrateful idiot. Truth is, I'm extremely lucky to have someone like you as an assistant, and... in my life in general, even if I don't deserve it. So, thank you for giving me the cold hard truth, and again, I'm...really, really sorry."

A tear streamed down her face but she looked at him with a smile of relief, and what almost seemed like adoration.

"Thank you," she said in a hoarse whisper and wiped another tear away.

"I know I gotta start doing better with the clinic and... with everything, and hopefully that starts today."

He stood up with a smile and handed her a box of tissues. She took it from him but immediately threw it on the chair and then threw her arms around him in a tight affectionate hug. He wrapped his hands around the curve of her back. The smell of her hair and the feel of her body against him was incredible.

"Thank you. Thank you, that means so fucking much to me."

Jon couldn't help but chuckle.

"Sorry," she giggled back.

"I'm gonna take at least a week off, and try to reconnect with a counselor. I know I need help, and I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that," he said.

"You were hurting, and going through so much, and you just tried to be too strong, and go through it alone, but you don't have to. You don't have to go it alone, there's people who care about you, you just have to let us help."

His eyes almost welled up too. "Thanks Beth, I'll try to, from now on."

She looked up at him and smiled, running a hand through his hair. "I knew you were still in there."

He smiled back at her beautiful tear-stricken face.

"We'll get the old Jon back in no time, I just know it," she reassured him.

"How about 'new and improved' Jon instead?" he said with a smile.

She let out a beautiful genuine laugh and kissed him on the cheek, finally letting him go and turning to saunter out of the room with an excited smile over her shoulder.

He sat down and opened his first file and then went to greet first patient with a friendly hello.

Even with the lighter patient list, by the end of the morning he was already exhausted. He almost found himself slipping back into his indifferent flat-faced approach he had gotten used to, but despite his lack of sleep he still felt the motivation to fight off the apathy, and force himself to care. Which was more than he'd felt in a long time.

He had put it off, out of nervousness, but finally called Glen halfway through the morning to apologize for not ordering the CT and to offer his condolences. To his relief, he wasn't bitter or resentful, but was just glad that someone had caught it, only blaming himself for putting off his symptoms for so long, and he seemed to appreciate the call.

He was finishing off his notes at noon when Jeff walked in with a polite knock.

"Uh, hey Jon, Beth said you wanted to see me?"

"Oh yeah! Hey man. We haven't chatted in a while, and I was wondering if you wanted to do lunch."

"Oh umm, I was planning on working through lunch to catch up on my inbox actually, I was just gonna get Tracy to order me something from across the way."

"Okay fair enough. Look I... I wanted to say I'm sorry for how I was a few days ago with Grace there, and honestly how I've been the last few weeks."

Jeff looked at him thoughtfully for a few seconds and gave a tight smile. "Thanks man, it was just that Grace couldn't believe you'd smoked that much weed that quickly to be asking her for more that soon... She's your friend first, not your supplier right?"

"Yeah, yeah I know and I appreciate it now. It was the right thing to do, and I had no right to get belligerent like that. Last weekend was... rough to say the least."

"Yeah I get it. I can tell you've been in a bad place for a while. Look it's been affecting us too a little, but are you still kicking yourself over what happened with Brent, or did things finally sink in about Elaina?... You know what? Screw it, let's go for lunch, I can catch up on work later."

Jon gave an appreciative smile. "Sounds great."

They had a nice chat over lunch. Jeff said that Grace still hadn't heard from Carly and was still hurting over it every now and then, but they were otherwise back to normal. Jeff didn't press him too much on the specific reasons for his mood. Jon chalked it up to Elaina, saying that Tabitha was a desperate rebound and that he'd been in denial over Christmas and New Years. He admitted that Brent's suicide still ate at him, but that was all. It was all somewhat correct, but he hated concealing so much of the truth from him. Jon didn't know if he'd ever really have the guts to admit to him about what happened with Carly.

"I'm seeing Elaina tomorrow again," Jon said, looking distantly out the window of the restaurant.

"Is... that a good idea?" Jeff asked doubtfully.

Jon scoffed, "No, but we need to look over the house with the realtor and answer a bunch of questions and eventually agree on a list price."

"Right. All that. Christ, I don't envy you. Is this the first time since..."

"No. I saw her twice over the holidays and we've been texting, and calling occasionally."

"Are... you on okay terms now?" Jeff asked suspiciously.

"Better..." he said cautiously. "I didn't realize how manipulative she was until it got ridiculous near the end. It's still there, but knowing it doesn't make me immune to it unfortunately."

"Yeah. I could imagine that. Well just make sure you know what you want."

"Yeah isn't that the trick," Jon chuckled bitterly.

"Hey. Jon, you already know what my opinion of that woman is, and I dunno maybe she has the ability to change, but that kind of thing doesn't happen quick, and you deserve someone who treats you like the good man that you are, and-"

"Yeah yeah, I know. Thanks Jeff," Jon interrupted. "Look let's just, talk about something else for now."

"Sorry. Just lookin out for a friend, man."

"I know. Thanks."

"Call her a rebound if you want, but I thought you looked happy with Tabitha at the party there. What's she up to?"

"She's a great woman, but no. Besides the fact that she's my former neighbor going through a divorce with a violent douchebag, there's other fish in the sea. I'm pretty sure she left town anyway."

"Fair enough. You know Dara would probably buy me beer for a month if I-"

"Jeff just stop. Please, I don't need a matchmaker right now."

Jeff shrugged and chuckled. "Fine, just reminding you," he said with a wink.

Jon shook his head and smiled sipping his coffee.

"Hey by the way, the ski weekend's all booked, but we have an extra couple beds in the cabin if you want to reconsider coming along...?" Jeff ventured.

Jon cringed, "I dunno, it sounds really fun and I'd love to ski again, it's just that with the girls coming now I'd be the odd man out. I'm just not sure."

"K, well just know that we'd love to see you there, and like I said there's an extra bed or two so if you change your mind at any point just let me know."

"Thanks Jeff," he said, looking at his watch. "We'd better get back. Thanks for the chat though I appreciate it."

"Yeah no problem, I'm glad to see you starting to head in the right direction. We were getting worried."

He gave a grateful smile and they paid their bill and headed back.

The afternoon was a little easier than the morning, but Jon still had to force himself to put in the work and patience to deal with a couple more complicated and frustrating patients. Beth brought him another coffee, to his relief, but the fatigue was still wearing him down.

Her gazes and smiles between patients were completely changed now. She seemed to be able to tell he was putting more effort and time into things. People were leaving noticeably happier. Instead of her painful pitying looks, now her eyes seemed to glow with a pride and admiration. It made him feel amazing every time, filled him with excitement and inspired him to keep up his effort through the day. He started to think back to some of the stuff Doug had said, and wondered...

Just before the last few patients though, she suddenly seemed to look pale and sickly. He asked her if she was feeling alright and needed to head home, but she brushed him off and told him she was fine.

It didn't get any better by the end though. He started to get concerned.

"No seriously I'm not sick, just, it's been a long week I think," she insisted, looking annoyed. "Are you sticking around for a bit?"

"Yeah I got the last couple consults to type up here and then I want to make sure all my labs and reports are cleaned up completely before I'm off next week, so I'll be here for at least a little while yet. Feel free to head home whenever though."

"K. Um, well I think I'll stick around for a bit, but I want to ask you something before you go, so just let me know when you're done okay?"

"Um... okay sure," he said, turning back to work on his notes.

He was just reading through the last consult report when he noticed Beth walk in and close the door out of the corner of his eye.

"Oh Hey! Yeah I'm just finishing off here. You wanted to-..." He stopped, and the smile was wiped from his face when he saw the furious look on hers.

"Tell me she's lying. Tell me Chloe's full of shit. Please," Beth said in a low threatening tone pointing her phone at him.

Jon was suddenly at a loss for words.

"Please Jon, tell me you didn't fuck her. Not her, please..." Beth said, tears starting to form quickly.

"Beth..."

"Seriously?!"

"It was just a one-time thing, it-"

"SERIOUSLY!!" Her face was wild with rage. "CHLOE!? Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME?!"

Jon stood up, almost in self-defense, and reached a hand out towards her. "Beth pipe down th-"

"Everyone else is gone, I checked. CHLOE?! Of all the girls in this FUCKING city?! It had to be THAT fucking skank, are you kidding me?!"

"It was one night and I don't plan to see her again, It's nothing serious s-"

"How the fuck did you even find each other? How do you even know her?"

"She... gave me her number at the bar a while back and I'd forgot about it. Then I found it again and... I texted her. Beth I'm not gaga over her, I wasn't gonna see her again, she's not gonna hurt me....I actually thought you two had made peace?"

"Noooo! I mean... we're on speaking terms, and sometimes hang with the same groups, but we are NOT friends..." she shook her head. "PLEASE tell me you at least used a condom," she said rubbing a hand over her face.

"Yes, of course. Beth why is this even any of your concern?"

She looked at him intensely, starting to look more hurt than enraged.

"What do you mean?"

"Why is it any of your business? Who I see or what I do in my spare time?" he said with irritation, daring her to say it out loud.

"Because I..." She crossed her arms in frustration and another tear rolled down her cheek. "Because I care about you....But I'm starting to wonder why the fuck I should, if you can't even bother to have any self-respect!"

"Oh please, like you've never had a one night stand you're not proud of," he said angrily.

"Fuck you! What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" she said shoving him backwards.

He took a deep breath.

"Okay I'm sorry that was out of line," he said, regretting the insult.

"You're goddamn right it was," she said more quietly, crossing her arms, but starting to settle down a little.

He tried to focus on her face and not the rise and fall of her chest.

"Beth..." he said, getting lost in her furious eyes. "Why am I even worth your attention? You're beyond beautiful, you're fun and full of life, and you're smart, WAY more than you let on. You've gotta know any man in the city would kill to date you. Why can't you see I'm not worth the effort?"

Her face gradually lost most of it's fury as he spoke and her lips parted in surprise. She was hugging herself instead of crossing her arms now.

Jon continued, "Was it just the thrill of trying to steal me? Is it the fetish of bagging a doctor like it was for Chloe?"

She gasped and looked like he had just slapped her "What?! No! How could you think that? Never!" Tears and genuine hurt painted her face, quickly turning to anger again. "Who said I even still wanted your sad pathetic ass?"

She tried to shove him away again, but he caught her wrists and held them.

"Let go of me!" She said, pulling herself away from him, her face red and her breath quickening.

"Why are we even talking about this then? Why does it matter?" he pleaded.

They shared a heavy stare for a few seconds, but then she seemed to steel herself and calm down again with a sniffle.

"You know what? It doesn't. It doesn't matter. Forget it."

She turned to walk away.

Jon suddenly didn't want her to leave. He tried to make his mouth say something, but it wouldn't. He panicked and reached out, grabbing her wrist. He spun her back towards him, grabbed her neck and kissed her.

For three very long seconds she kissed him back passionately.

Then she suddenly broke away shoved him off of her and slapped him in the face.

"PIG!" she shouted, wiping off her mouth.

"Okay, Beth I'm sorry, that was-"

"Shut up! Just shut up!" She was panting and flushed, and almost seemed afraid to look at him.

He felt too embarrassed to move.

"You know what? I quit!" she shouted at him.

"Beth no, please!"

"No! I'm done. I just... I can't. You have a week to find someone else anyway. Goodbye." Tears streamed down her face as she turned away.

"Beth!"

She slammed the door and was gone.

***

Jon stared blankly at the coffee perk as it sputtered its way through the end of a fresh pot. The early afternoon sun shining through the skylight wasn't helping his headache. He had not caught up on sleep last night.

He kept trying to tell himself the only thing he lost was a good assistant. That there was never hope of anything real with Beth, that it was just a ridiculous fantastical pipe dream. He couldn't help remembering that crazy day back before Christmas when she had taken him shopping and slipped into the dressing room, then came SO close to seducing him after clinic. He wondered what his life would be like now if he had given in that day. Really he had no clue, but it didn't matter. She hated him, and now she was gone too. It had cut him deeper than he could have imagined. Now he felt like he had slipped away from whatever cliff of redemption he might have been climbing, and fallen right back down to rock bottom again. Now he felt like he truly had nothing.

...Except for Elaina. Every road he'd ended up on somehow led back to the woman who was coming over any minute now.

He reminded himself there was still Melanie...maybe, if he hadn't insulted her too much, and there was countless other women out there too. So many women, so many possibilities, so many dates, so many likely failures before finding someone he connected with, if he ever did. So much work to have to start from scratch. Why bother when he had a quick easy route back to Elaina's familiar clutches. Right now she was the only woman that loved him. Maybe she was the only one that ever would. She said she wanted to change, maybe she deserved another chance...

The coffeepot sputtered again as if it was laughing at him. He closed his eyes and sighed hopelessly.

He gave a sudden spastic jolt at the sound of the doorbell.

His heart pounded in his chest and he took a deep breath and walked over to the door. She had let herself in already and was closing the door behind her, as he was reminded that he hadn't changed the locks and she still had a key.

As she turned around, her sparkling eyes and beautiful well-defined face met him with a gentle smile.

"Hi Jonathon," she said, taking off her coat and boots.

"Hi," he said, sounding hoarse and clearing his throat. Her svelte figure was hugged by a white sweater-dress, her long, slender legs under black tights, and a teal necklace seemed to make her eyes even more radiant than usual.

"How was the drive?" he asked, trying not to stare.

"It was fine," she said softly, slipping off her black driving gloves and gliding towards him.

He felt like he was shrinking as she approached, but she met his eyes tenderly.

"It's really good to see you again," she said with a delicate smile.

He stayed completely still other than to flinch ever so slightly as she touched his arm and then reached up to peck a kiss on his cheek. Electric tingles shot out in all directions from her lips on his skin.

His bodily instincts were already betraying him more than he'd feared and he told himself he needed to put up a fight, but he was doubting more and more whether he really wanted to win.

"Elaina, look, the other night on the phone was just-"

She silenced him with a soft finger on his lips and a smirk.

"Not right now. Don't worry about it. Let's just get this house clean and talk about a price range okay?"

"Okay," he nodded. Feeling slightly relieved. "Coffee?"

"Yes please," she said, already walking away and looking around.

"The house is in better shape than I expected I have to admit," she commented. "The walls could use a wash though and a bit of dusting here and there I think."

She continued her inspection as he poured two cups and added the milk and substitute sugar.

"I love that you remember how I like it," she smiled at him affectionately after a sip as they sat down.

"So have you been looking at the market? Other prices and such?" she asked, bringing out her tablet.

"Um, no I figured anything at or above what we paid for it would be fine."

She gave him a patronizing glance. "Oh Jonathon. We should at least be looking for 50K above that, if not more. The market's gone up, and there's a penalty for selling again in less than two years, so we want to try to make up for that."

She evidently had it worked out already, showing him a small spreadsheet and some examples of similar properties on the market.

He had no grounds to disagree and she gave him a proud smile as he told her it all sounded good.

"I'm glad we're agreeing about that at least. Well let's get cleaning. I'll do the dusting if you want to start wiping the kitchen walls down."

"Yeah sure I g- guess..." he stuttered as she casually lifted the sweater-dress over her head and tossed it on the chair. She was wearing a red tank top underneath to his relief.

"..What?" she asked, with an amused smile. "I don't want to get that all dusty," she explained, gesturing to the dress. "What, were you hoping I would just rip all my clothes off for you that easily?" she teased, with a seductive step forward.

"No."

She leaned up to him and he felt her soft perky breast press against his peck as she whispered in his ear, "You're a terrible liar."

She stepped away again, speaking more plainly, "We wouldn't have time for any of that before Donna gets here anyway. So get to work, and try not to get too distracted," she said with a wink and a tickle of his abs.

***

"Okay well we'll keep in touch, I'll run a few more numbers and have my suggested price to you on Monday, but it should be somewhere in the range I gave you at least," Donna said with a big smile as she stepped out the door. "I can't wait to sell this amazing property, I know you'll be satisfied."

"Yes thank you so much," Elaina said with a polite smile. "Oh it's already starting to get dark, honey can you get the porch light for her?"

Jon flicked the switch. It was the fourth time she'd used that term of endearment on him today and it was almost starting to sound normal again.

He had gradually stopped moving away from her graceful touches throughout the afternoon, which only seemed to increase when Donna came over. Delicate fingers on top of his as they sat at the table and discussed numbers, a soft hand on his back as they walked around inspecting the house, and eventually a gentle arm around his as they said goodbye.

123456...9