September Sunsets Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She flinched as she heard Neil laugh close behind her. "I thought that, that's why I was coming over to give you a boost!" he said. "Don't squeal, I've got you, OK?" he said. She hummed in agreement. He lifted her around her knees and thrust her up in the air to rest against his shoulder.

Saoirse gasped and exclaimed. "Oh my God, this is one of the photos you have on your living room wall!" she exclaimed. He set her down on her feet again.

"Mm hm, that's it. Well remembered!" he said softly. Neil bent his knees down to see the view from her height. "The world from your perspective is very different!" he said. "I left my camera in the car but I think I'll start asking you to take photos from your viewpoint. What do you think?" he asked, teasing her.

Saoirse looked at him as he stood up straight. "Why is that funny?!" She asked, nudging his arm and trying to hide a smirk. He laughed and shrugged. "People really don't understand what the world is like from here!" she said, defensively. "Surely you could be a bit more sympathetic since people probably go on about how tall you are?" she asked.

He nodded and wrapped his arms around her shoulders from the side as she stood awkwardly resisting him. "Yeah, I know. I'm only teasing! All good things come in small packages, Saoirse!" he said in a light-hearted tone. "So you think you'll put in an offer?" he asked.

She stood back and looked at him, puzzled. "For this palace?" he asked, holding his arms out and looking around.

Saoirse laughed and exaggeratedly animated thinking about it.

They walked back along the stoney path, Saoirse at the front and Neil holding her shoulders as he followed behind her. As they drove along the main road, Saoirse saw a pizzeria. She looked at her watch and saw it was dinner time. Just as she started to say "Awww can we...", Neil pulled into the parking spaces outside.

"Great minds." he said.

They ordered pizza and soft drinks and sat side-by-side on stools at the bar in front of the window watching the world go by as they ate. "I don't really want to go home yet." Saoirse said as she sipped her drink. "I know that's a silly thing to say." She looked at Neil who was wiping his hands with a napkin as he chewed his last slice of pizza. "It's just putting off the inevitable I know and I don't know why i don't want to go home or what I'd rather do instead but..." she shrugged. Neil looked at her as he continued chewing but didn't acknowledge what she was saying. "Like I could just not go home, just leave everything there as it is and not go back to it." She felt embarrassed and smiled awkwardly.

Neil turned round on his stool to face her, he patted her back awkwardly. "Do you want anything else to eat or drink?" he asked. Saoirse shook her head. Neil nodded then stood up and gathered their pizza boxes and cups and took them over to the rubbish bin. Saoirse stood up and pointed towards the toilets and Neil nodded as he made his way back to the stools. Saoirse went to the toilet, washed her hands and splashed her face with water, trying to shake off the melancholic waves that had come over her. When she returned, Neil was chatting discreetly to the man and woman behind the pizzeria counter. He smiled at Saoirse and held out her coat to her. She shook her head. He held her coat and bag and took her hand. They said goodbye to the staff and got into the car.

He drove along the main road and then Saoirse noticed he missed the right turn for the route home, instead turning left down a bumpy gravel road following a little brown road sign with a picture of a sandcastle on it. "I thought we could have one last sunset on this trip?" he said softly. Saoirse looked at him and he smiled warmly at her. The road led to a secluded cove off a quiet sandy beach.

They got out of the car, put on their coats and walked down on to the sand. Neil lay down his coat and guided them both to sit down, with Saoirse sitting between his legs and leaning against his chest. They watched the sunset without talking. Saoirse let tears slip down her face, not understanding the feelings or emotions she was experiencing but she let it happen. She felt safe in Neil's embrace and by the time the sun set and the tide started to get closer up the sand to them, she felt somewhat lighter and more relaxed. "Are you ready to go home now?" Neil asked as they stood up and brushed the sand off themselves. She looked at him but wasn't sure what to say. He noticed her face and stepped closer, leaning down to put his arms around her waist and squeeze her in a tight hug. "Do you want me to drop you home and come in for a while?" he asked.

She smiled and nodded. "Yes please. I'm feeling a bit sad that the trip is over." she said.

"How about a bubble bath and a cup of tea and a bit of company?" he asked softly as they walked hand-in-hand back to the car.

"Perfect! Thank you." she smiled.

12