Shadows of Desire Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Come in." Lierin said in a weary voice.

Thaden opened the door and stepped into the room, at once noticing the exhausted look on his brother's face. "Still at it?" He chuckled.

"This is impossible." Lierin sighed. "As far as I can tell both parties have legitimate claim over the land. It was gifted to a Snoognart and Rumhiadheonn Bodhion in the year of Iallanghei as a wedding present. After that it was passed down through the generations, the last owner being Beoteida Eanghom who was of both gnome and brownie decent and died with no children so the land has been in dispute ever since."

Thaden sat down and smirked.

"What?" Lierin sat back and crossed his arms. "What's so damn funny?"

"Just picturing you playing peace keeper between a horde of pint sized feuding fairies. It's adorable really."

"This is no laughing matter." Lierin sighed. "Brownies are tricksters and gnomes though small can be vicious little things. I don't want to be on the bad side of either of them."

"Why not just decree that the land belong to each and split it down the middle. One clan keep to one side and the other clan stay on theirs. If they don't agree, sic a pack of bog hounds on 'em. That will teach the little pests a thing or two." He chuckled.

Lierin raised an eyebrow. "That's not a bad idea. Not the hounds part but splitting the land. I'll explain it's the best I can do and they'll just have to agree."

"And if they don't?"

Lierin smirked. "Then I'll consider the bog hounds."

Both brothers laughed at that. "So," Lierin said, growing more serious. "What have you got for me?"

Thaden handed him the report he'd received earlier. Lierin read it over carefully then looked up, concern etched across his face. "Do you anticipate trouble?"

"Not yet." Thaden said, honestly. "Though Nasir is convinced there is going to be a vampire uprising and we are going to be dragged into the middle of it. He thinks we should invade now and destroy them all."

Lierin Smiled, knowing all to well what Nasir was like. "Nasir is too quick to fight when a more diplomatic approach is needed. But, he has a valid point. I don't know if this means anything," He waved his hand over the parchment before him, "But we should be alert for any sign that trouble is brewing."

"We'll be ready to fight, if we have to. Though I'd prefer to avoid it if possible."

"Wouldn't we all." Lierin ran a hand through his long, brown, hair. "No ruler wants to see his people thrust into the horrors of war but some times it is necessary to protect what is ours. Tell me, what will you do to ensure our peoples safety? What measures will you take to protect them?"

"Bog Hounds?" Both men chuckled at that. "But seriously, I've already ordered more guards on look out and larger patrols. If the vampires cross into our territory we'll know it. I can also strengthen the wards on the main gate and each checkpoint, if it pleases your Highness."

Lierin nodded. "Make it so."

Thaden stood, bowed to his brother then left the room as Lierin went back to his stack of land deeds and birth records. As Thaden left Lierin's rooms he sent up a silent prayer to The mother Goddess, Danu, that the vampires keep their distance. If they do somehow manage to plunge themselves into civil war there was no need for them to drag the neighboring realms into their issues. One thing did bother him though as he walked the empty hall of the elven palace. If the Duke of Grayholm did manage to overthrow King Desmond and seize the thrown, would he uphold the treaty?

Thaden didn't know the man enough to say for certain that he would. A cold chill ran down Thaden's spine and he shivered. Nasir was ready to fight. Lierin was worried. Maybe Thaden wasn't taking the situation with the vampire realm as seriously as he should. He prayed that his instincts were wrong but Thaden suddenly had the sinking feeling that something significant was going to happen. Change was coming, good or bad it was coming. There was something in the air, something in the way the servants whispered to each other in the corridors, something in the earth itself. It was as if the spirits of nature were calling out to him, warning him to be alert and cautious.

On instinct, he passed his own chambers and continued down the hall to the stairwell that lead out to the royal gardens. Walking out onto the veranda he stood against the stone wall, looking out over the courtyard. The scent of flowers was all around him and a gentle breeze blew through his hair. The landscape was breathtaking, the sky overhead was blue and clear. It was a beautiful day. He should have felt at ease but he wasn't. It was like the beauty surrounding him was all an illusion, hiding the darkness that lay behind the facade of peace. He sighed, gripping the stone ledge tighter, his knuckles turning white under the pressure.

He'd strengthen the cities defenses. Increase the guard, increase patrols, and strengthen the wards. Maybe he'd even order extra training for the soldiers, keep them on their toes. That's all he could do for now. That, and wait. For what though he did not know. He just knew that something was coming and whatever it was, it was going to change his life forever.