Shadows of Desire Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's her first real toy." Rowan explained when he saw Asgall watching the child. "Anything she'd had in the past she made herself with sticks and mud."

"I'm happy to see her playing." Asgall remarked. "Children are precious. They need guidance and structure but they also need the time and freedom to be children."

"Yes." Thaden agreed. "I fear her time on her own left little opportunity for her to just relax and have fun."

"And that is a real shame." Asgall said."Children who aren't free to develop their imaginations do not thrive in our world. She is truly blessed to have found you both."

"We're the one's who are blessed." Thaden smiled, touching Rowan's hand. "Twice blessed."

"Ah yes." Asgall smiled looking over at Rowan. "There is nothing more exciting than the birth of one's child. Tell me, how are you fairing? I trust your health is good?"

Rowan nodded. "I could live without the nausea and mood swings but other than that, I am doing quite well."

"Good, good." Asgall leaned back in his chair, stroking his beard as he thought about how to broach the subject of his visit to the couple.

"Forgive me." Rowan was suddenly on his feet, his face bright red with embarrassment. "I haven't offered you any refreshments." He said as he moved away from the table. "Would tea be alright? We really don't have much else at the moment."

"It's not necessary." Asgall told him. "Please, sit. There is something important that we need to discuss."

Rowan took his seat again, unease growing as his heart began to race. The conversation that he had had with Una came back to him now and he searched for any indication, any recollection, that he had said something wrong. Thaden looked tense as well. Rowan could see the stress reflected in his eyes. Were they about to be thrown out? Was this the end of their plans to have a happy life in the Shee village? Rowan knew he would never forgive himself if he were the cause of his family being cast out. Where would they go from here? What would they do? Rowan's future suddenly seemed so uncertain as he waited for the blow to come. A lump formed in his throat and he had to choke back the tears.

"Asgall, what's wrong?" Thaden was the one to speak first. He watched Asgall closely, assessing the man's features as he attempted to gauge his emotions. Asgall didn't seem angry but both Rowan and Thaden could tell that there was something weighing on him heavily. His shoulders drooped and he ran a hand through his hair as he sighed. "Please, tell us." Thaden persisted. "Have we done something wrong? Have we broken some rule?"

"No." Asgall was quick to clarify. "It's nothing like that. You aren't in any trouble, so please, do not worry yourselves about that."

"Then what is it?" Thaden asked, his voice soft and gentle yet thick with concern, despite Asgall's reassurances.

"This isn't an easy subject to bring up." Asgall began. "It pertains to a darker part of our past, a part that I am not particularly proud of."

"Does it have anything to do with what Una and I discussed earlier?" Rowan asked, the lump in his throat growing tighter.

Asgall nodded. "It does, I'm afraid. And, it's not going to be easy for you to hear as it involves your parents."

Rowan sucked in a deep breath, straightened himself in his chair and braced himself for whatever news was about to come. "I can handle it." Rowan told him. "I need to know the truth."

Asgall nodded with a heavy sigh. "Then, perhaps you should put on a kettle." He told him. "We have much to talk about."