All Comments on 'Share the Road'

by Thucydides

Sort by:
  • 160 Comments
Nowhereman600Nowhereman600over 12 years ago
Very nice reading

Thank's for a nice good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great

An excellent story about people you want to like. Well done, keep it up!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Really a good story!

Refreshing change in LW's category.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Loved it

I really enjoyed this story and just wish there was more to it because it was so good.

AlpineskierAlpineskierover 12 years ago
yes, of course

A story of love and opportunity and chance. With some erotica but without the overrunning of sexual exploits. Quality work, proofed very well. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

estragonestragonover 12 years ago
A Total Winner!

Wonderful characters, and who could go wrong with sailing, law, sex, and Roederer (even California Roederer)! Thu, it's a total winner! Quibbles will follow via "Send Feedback", only because this is a beautiful story. It's up to Sydney Blake quality, and that says it all.

SeesFourEverSeesFourEverover 12 years ago
Outstanding!

Great work as usual. Keep it up!

ambush184ambush184over 12 years ago
excellent

This is one of my favorites.

ReadTooMuchReadTooMuchover 12 years ago
Great Story! And some comments.

I enjoyed your story. Please keep writing.

Some nits:

Which side won the court case? Although not important in the story, they both acted like they won and were on opposite sides.

I cringed when you called a line on a sailboat "a rope."

estragonestragonover 12 years ago
Read, Some Thoughts

Just a guess, but Ed, representing the flooded farmers, sued the State as an additional defendant, probably alleging negligent oversight, or improper approval of the plans for the dam, or negligent issuance of the dam permit, or some environmental laws, as well as the owners of the dam and everyone else he could think of. That's SOP; when lying in the dust at home plate, tag the runner, the batter, the umpire and yourself. That way you got everybody.

Jill got the case against the State thrown out, using Ben's deposition and her own experts', although that's unusual, but if she could do that she's plenty good. So Jill won.

Now Ben's deposition, while it might have gotten the State off, didn't help the dam's owners; au contraire, it buried them. So Ed won. Whether or not Ben had to testify on the trial, I don't know. I have a son-in-law who has a Ph.D. in engineering and does a lot of forensic evaluations; his view is that if he has to testify on a trial, the client lost, because the experts should have let the parties know when to settle.

As for using "rope" instead of "sheet", "line", "cable" or "halyard", as the case might have been, I confess I missed that. Which goes to show how good the story is.

ThucydidesThucydidesover 12 years agoAuthor
The case

I would generally agree with estragon. I didn't think through all the details of the case as it wasn't critical to the plot and I didn't want to get sidetracked into a big explanation. Estragon's right that the State will always get dragged into a case like that if for no other reason than that they can pay a judgment. Being a lawyer IRL I was really trying to stay out of technicalities and maybe I went to far.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Nice

I did wonder about how she won the case, but the details weren't key to enjoying the story.

Frankly, I'd have liked it better if the foreplay went on longer, and the intercourse didn't happen so fast.

lexvenelexveneover 12 years ago

what else do you have?

ThucydidesThucydidesover 12 years agoAuthor

Everything I've written so far is posted under my name.

LadyFalconLadyFalconover 12 years ago
I enjoyed the read

and I'm not up as late as I feared. That is a two edged sword. I like that I am going to bed at a reasonable time for a work day. However, I really did not like the sudden skip to a year later. :-( I liked the couple and wanted to read more.

I particularly like the comments explaining the court cases. The details help and since the closest I've been to a lawyer besides my divorce attorney was my stint as a file clerk in the law library in college, I really appreciate understanding the plausible details.

I also enjoyed the slight chastising on the sailing terminology. :-) And of course, the image of the boom coming across and taking him out is priceless.

One small point and maybe I just missed it...but, you mentioned she had no knowledge of sailing. Would she have reflexively cleated the main sheet when she pulled her guy back on board? If she didn't..which I think more plausible for a non-sailor then the sailboat would have rounded itself into the wind and just bobbed nicely with the main sheet flapping. Unless, possibly a jib sheet would be strong enough to keep pulling the boat....or a current (not likely in a cove).

I love that he built the boat. Your heroes are wonderful, strong men...salt of the earth as my great grandma would have said. I adore that your women are strong but also feminine. Very nice combination to read. Keep writing and submitting, please.

ThucydidesThucydidesover 12 years agoAuthor
to LadyFalcon

I'm obviously not a sailor and should have done more research on the technicalities. If I ever get around to rewriting this I'll fix it.

In my Oregon trilogy a lot happens at weddings, and I wanted to get away from that. You're right that it was a pretty abrupt jump. I'll try to meet in the middle next time.

I once saw a friend do the "forget her bikini's untied and jump up" thing and thought the combination of that and getting knocked over by the boom made for some pretty good slapstick. I liked how that part turned out.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's really encouraging to be told when people like my stuff.

GulfMisprintGulfMisprintover 12 years ago
wonderful story line; sex scenes getting better; confusing detail

I've read all three (or five if you count that way) of your stories and enjoyed all of them. I like how you show the characters feeling attracted to each other quickly and still spend time getting to a happy ending.

I mostly like the balance between story development and sex scenes. I liked the slightly greater explicitness of this one, and I'd be happy to have a little more in your next one.

I was confused about the resolution of the case. I thought that Ed's clients won, but then Jill's co-workers took her out to celebrate winning what sounded like the same case.

LadyFalconLadyFalconover 12 years ago
Nice re-write...

I enjoyed it even more the second time around. You did a great job fleshing things out a bit more. Thanks for the feedback email to let me know... I'd never have realized since the submission date didn't change. I just hate that I can't vote again. I'd give you a 5 this time instead of the 4 from the original version.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

Wonderful (too) short story.

So good I re-read it the next evening.

Thanks.

fifty5fifty5over 11 years ago
Sailing jargon OK

After reading the comments I went back and re-read the sailing part. Later posts make me think that it had been edited. The fact remains, IMHO, that unless the protagonist was so much into sailing that he couldn't possibly be the guy in your story, he would have more on his mind than thinking about which bit of rigging was called what. This story was good writing - and I loved it!

ThucydidesThucydidesover 11 years agoAuthor

Yeah. I did rewrite it- I have this bad habit of thinking I'm done, posting something, and then rewriting in response to the comments. Honestly, this version is a lot better than the original posting- and I have to think my ratings would be better if not for that. Anyway, I hope people enjoy it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Very Good!

Excellent plot and character development. You have a unique gift of making your characters real people. One doesn't have to suspend his disbelief to enjoy your writing. Thank you, sir!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Way Too Wierd!

I already noted the Oregon Beach stories were in my back yard. I am also a Civil Engineer and helped my friend (pro nobo) defend himself against people who bought the pole home he built and lived in before building on a lot a block south near Jump Off Joe (Newport). The home "moved in the wind"''' (duh!). They tried to use that so they would get the home for free. I have worked with State Water Resources several times over the years in my capacity as a consultant. Lynn

ambush184ambush184almost 11 years ago
well done

I really enjoy your writing and your stories. I too live in the NW and know most of the places you reference. I'll make you a deal. You keep writing and I'll keep reading. Thanks

snathsnathalmost 11 years ago
topper

I read the story and rated it 5 star. Although it did not matter much to the story as it was a topper.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Amazing!

Amazing! I want that kind of love, humor, and companionship! What an inspirational and beautiful story, well told!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
just brilliant

what a great story of their unfolding love for each other and so full of humour....also no over the top sex descriptions just gentle love making and loved the last bit when she admitted she left the cell phone on purpose....that floored him....just a brilliant love story....

oldwayneoldwayneover 10 years ago
I thought it was just an excellent tale, well worth Five Stars!

Many decades ago, when I was working on an undergraduate degree in History, my main area of concentration was Hellenistic Civilization. Anyone who would adopt for his "pen name" that of the most prominent historian of that period, can not help but find favor with this old soul. Thanks for sharing an outstanding talent with all of us who do sincerely appreciate your work.

shareher4funshareher4funover 10 years ago
Fun story!

I had a great time reading this story. It reminds me of my wife and our courtship. Thanks!

MansheartMansheartabout 10 years ago
Real life

Much fond reminiscing in this one. Especially the absences.

Actually it's a wake up call for my sweet lady and I.

Thanks for a great, well crafted story.

Sid0604Sid0604about 10 years ago
Thank you

I enjoyed reading your story. Thank you for sharing.

phil2213phil2213about 10 years ago
Very deep stuff with a side dish of humour.

Most women are sneaks and connivers as in this story she openly confesses her manipulation. As a father of two daughters, I can attest to the social charms and shananigans that women can dish out to overwhelm a poor unsuspecting man. Lol. Very well written moving feel good story. It just shook my foundations and erupted me into a severe case of melancholia. It was sweet and nice. Thank you for your effort; Of course five stars!

kjohns2001kjohns2001about 10 years ago
Absolutely lovely

An absolutely lovely and engaging story. Every hopeless romantic is sure to fall in love with it as much as I did. I am so looking forward to reading more of your work.

Cia81Cia81about 10 years ago
Plagiarist

Your story was stolen by this plagiarist too. I am trying to message everyone I can determine to be affected by her theft. I already sent a takedown notice of my story to the site, but the more the better. http://stories.xnxx.com/profile1022405/xmistiex

The_Crazy_OneThe_Crazy_Oneabout 10 years ago

Thucydides, you are a gifted writer. You are one of the few writers I read everything they had posted here. I wish you had more stories to read through.

MojomaggieMojomaggieabout 10 years ago
Great Story!

This was a great story; I have read it twice, and like it better every time I read it. I also noted that it was stolen by the plagiarist referred to in another comment, and I went to that website and reported it, as well. Hopefully the owners of the other site will take notice and remove it. It is nice that people admire your writing enough to wish it was theirs, but there is no excuse for outright theft like that.

photolvrphotolvralmost 10 years ago
Thank you!

I love these characters, and this story. My favorites are the two Elk stories, but they barely edged out this lovely tale. Please write more chapters of all your beautiful works! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
An apple of a story

This story is like an apple - crisp, juicy and delightfully sweet, but with slightest tang to enhance that sweetness. Likeable characters and fast paced left me searching for a sequel. Nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Jill saved by good old boy

such a great love story about two people that meet by accident. Jill and Ben the story about two that fall in love and as Jill said she must have married the village idiot( she left her phone in his truck so he would have to call her) a great line at the end of the story. 5 stars plus for sure. I do hope that you write something more about the loving couple. not my first or last time to read this.

Ron

DauntiDauntiover 9 years ago
The very best

Far and away amongst the best writing on this sight. Thank you.

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Great Story

It sounds as if he should give up being an expert witness in that State. It really would be a problem. What would have happened if they all ready tied the knot. Another delightful read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
A VERY GOOD STORY

A SMART BEAUTIFUL WOMAN THAT JUST WANTS TO BE LOVED NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS AND SHE JUST SO HAPPENS TO MEET HER KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR. IT IS IN MY FAVORITES AND I ENJOY IT EVEN MORE EACH TIME I READ IT.

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT WRITING A SEQUEL ABOUT THEM?

RON TEXAS cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

DoctimeDoctimeabout 9 years ago

Just a delightful love story. One of my favs.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleabout 9 years ago
Still great!

I just finished re-reading this story; I've lost track of how many times, now. It's still one of the very best I've ever read. Whatever you're doing, stop right now and write some more stories that are just as good as this one!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
When its good, its good. This was great.

Predictable, typical Romeo and Juliette, and lovely. A very nice version of boy meets girl. Thank You. Time to go squeeze my Juliette!

richieyeahrichieyeahabout 9 years ago
Very enjoyable story

I love this boy meets girl story, i love the way it is written.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 9 years ago
Agreed

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Fantastic Story

See good guys do get the girl(with a push here and there from her). Great love story it is in my favorites and gets 5 plus stars.

What would be really good would to be able to read a follow up story on Jill and Ben.

Thank you for the great love story.

Ron. Texas

cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Still wonderful as always!

I just reread this gem, for who knows what time, and it still reads as well as it did the very first time I read it. The author has managed to hit darn near every romance button known to man dead on without coming across as just another tired retread of an all too familiar theme. You simply can't go wrong with this one. My only complaint is that they did not have children at the end of the story, but that is a personal observation and has little to do with the perfection of the story in and of itself.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 9 years ago
Ah what a pleasure to read

This is the second time I have read this very nice story.

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
thanks for sharing the story with us

It was a delightful love story.

niestarniestaralmost 9 years ago
read it again

I have read this story more than 3times and its still one of my favorite.great work.5 stars everytime.

brujaybrujayalmost 9 years ago
Sweet romance......

Well worth the time to read.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Brujay

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Such a great story

i have read it many times and it just seems to get better each time. Just a true love story about a beautiful brilliant woman and a really nice guy and everything just fell into place for them. I would like to read more about Jill and Ben so if you have written some type of follow up story it would please me if you would give me the name and if not possibly you will write one.

Ron. Texas

cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
a beautiful love story

thanks

MoogPlayerMoogPlayerover 8 years ago
Wonderful Tale!

This is the first time I've read this story, but now that it's in my favorite's list, it most certainly won't be the last. Great job and I can't wait to read more of your work.

MoogPlayer

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Fantastic Story

Just a fairy tail romance in my favorites and I am hoping that you will write a follow up story on the village idot as Jill so lovingly called Ben. Something about Jill and Bens on going life.

Ron

cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

poppu831poppu831about 8 years ago
Great Story

From an old "Devil Doc" great story. Semper Fi

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
one problem

victoria is nice…but downtown vancouver is better :P

although i do have to admit that victoria has a much more interesting culture than the chinese infested vancouver (myself included)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
OOH YEAH THIS IS A GREAT STORY

Hi Peoples! To the author Thucydides my compliments for a great story! It's not bad I enjoyed it. Pleeeeeeeeze publish more here? Anyway thanks! Love you all! Bye. Greg. Oh 10 stars = 100 % of enjoyment. Bye.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
No idea why this story is rated this high

The plot is middling and it lacks a demonstrable emotional connection between two people who're so in love that they decide to get married.

Guess ex-servicemen are rating this story high as wish fulfillment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great. Story

Two people meet by Chance and fall in love

Ron

cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great humor, enjoyed it

I really loved the humor in the dialogue between the two protagonists. The plot wasn't bad either. But I found the intimate scenes a bit bland. It doesn't always need a lot of detail there, though this story lacked depth in the department of the (romantic) relationship in general for my taste. Overall still well done for its length, I think.

- R

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Lovely, friendly and humorous story

I like this story, it's nice, pleasant, with a touch of humor and without excessive sex.

I was surprised that Jill said the bikini was of her girlfriend ?! It is a grammar error or bad translation?

5* for you.

I apologize for my English, is not my native language.

ThucydidesThucydidesover 7 years agoAuthor
to TheOldRomantic

The point there might have been subtle if English isn't your first language. Jill, being a practical girl, usually wears a one piece swimsuit like the girls at the Olympics wear. Her friend told her that she should wear something sexier for her date with Ben, and loaned her a bikini. Being a little bigger than her friend the bikini is small on Jill, which she thinks is a little embarrassing but Ben of course likes.

Xzy89cXzy89cover 7 years ago
Mistakes

I hate silly mistakes. Do not make up facts or get into details if you are not positive about it.

If he was a marine corp corpsman who treated ied wounds he would have had to have served after 9/11.

Marines do not patrol the dmz in korea. Army does.

A potshot across dmz (it is 2.5 miles wide so would have had to come from inside dmz) would have been retaliated against immediately.

He was beyond an incompetent sailor. Hit by the boom and then lost control so badly he ended up in a cove?

When Hotel was built in 1908 canada had been independent for 40 years. No longer part of empire.

I hope they brought passports and had a different way back to US. If they were not arrested going into canada without passing through immigration they would be nailed coming back to US. They would have had to go through immigration into canada and then back into US.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wow

You know this free and has excellent writing and a fun happy feeling read.

I don't expect tons of research on every detail.

Just enjoy the word crafting.

Really great job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
For Gosh Sakes

It's a very good entertaining story. Nice man saves beautiful woman they meet for a drink and dinner and they click. It's not rocket science folks it's just a very good story. Last thing I will say to those picking the story apart for little things. Think. You Can. Do Better than start writing

Mack/ mcwhorter28445@gmail

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Navy

He plainly stated that he was a navy corpsman attached to a marine corps unit the same as they were in vietnam. Get your facts straight.

MoogPlayerMoogPlayerover 6 years ago
Julius Caesar Act VI, Scene III

There is a tide in the affairs of men,

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries...

It means that, if you miss your opportunity, you may find yourself trapped in disappointing shallows and miseries. I love how it truly applies in this story of how, in seizing the opportunity, Ben's life ends up the way it does.

Great Job, Thucydides! This story is one of my favorites.

MoogPlayer

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Wow

I loved it.

Horseman68Horseman68about 6 years ago
Great Little Story.

Simply super. Enjoyed it very much from beginning to end.

Bottom_upBottom_upalmost 6 years ago
Where is that damn sixth star?

This is the best story I've read on this site to date, and I have been reading stories here for much longer than I'd care to admit. I definitely was not ready for it to end.

How did I miss it for so long?

Anyway, six stars. Oops! Had to settle for five 'cause I couldn't find the sixth.

Now I I'm going to go read all the rest of your stories.

Thanks for a totally entertaining evening.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Excellent

Probably the best that I have read on this site. Clean and very romantic.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Still one of the best

I've read this a couple of times. One of the best stories on this site. Never fails to lift my mood just when I need it. ,,,,5+++ stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
best

without a doubt the best story I have read till date on this site

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 5 years ago
A story this well written...

needs to be placed on my Favorite Story list. Definitely worth ten stars.

Every girl needs a knight like Angus, and every male engineer needs a beautiful young woman like Jill to protect.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11over 5 years ago
A fine Romance

You write superb stories.

Sadly I have read them all now and yet want more.

DoctimeDoctimeover 5 years ago

Any story that includes having sex on a sailboat gets my vote. I married mine also.

flarebel2327flarebel2327about 5 years ago
IEDS

ieds didn't arrive on scene until after9/11/2001 . other than that a good story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I still had to do it

A good story well presented. I liked the characters from the first few paragraphs. I wonder how many other engineers had to look up Atterberg limits.

detroitdave

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
good one

Do not stop writing, you are very good!

Regarding the IEDS....one of the commentators should remember

the I stands for improvised( in case s/he forgot). explosives

inside the handle bar or the crosbar of a bike qualifies for

that definition...Vietnam was full of those scenarios.

Sailing and sex is one FINE way to spend a day, any day.

keep writing, and I'll keep reading.

flarebel2327flarebel2327about 5 years ago
nosy 3/29/19

ieds didn't show until after 9/11/2001 when the U S went into the middle east while hunting Bin Lauden using questionable people

jetpacksamjetpacksamabout 5 years ago
Long time favorite. Thank you.

Regarding the debate over IEDS:

If you think countries, ALL countries were not making their own improvised devices well before that war, you are quite mistaken. Any trap is an IID {improvised Injury Device}. There have been traps made with gun powder, C4. Vietnam is filled with horror facts of kids blowing themselves and GI's up.

What do you think OKC was? A massive IED. So was WTC 95. The Cole attack was a floating version. All those happened well before. Just because it makes a catchy acronym doesn't mean they are some new thing that hadn't been used before.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Excellent Story

In my favorites and I enjoy it each time that I read it. Great job . Just a dang good love story.

cowboyridecc@yahoo.com published

WoodbgoodWoodbgoodalmost 5 years ago
Great love story.

I haven’t been able to stop reading your well written love stories. Please keep writing this type of story.

Woodbgood

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 4 years ago
Totally Excellent Love Story!

My wife and I are from the Pacific Northwest. We went to Vancouver Island for our honeymoon. We went by ferry so we could drive around the Island. We had High Tea at the Empress. We walked around at night and found a great Irish Pub called the Wig & Dicky. The customers found out it was our honeymoon and started a big party for us. God what fun!! We both were sailors and spent some time sailing the San Juan Islands. So your wonderful love story brought back MANY beautiful memories to this old man. You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you SO much for your wonderful read. Keep em coming.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Beyond excellent love story

Lol oh my this was an excellent story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. 5 stars.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago

Lol oh my this was an excellent story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. 5 stars.

BoldVultureBoldVultureover 4 years ago
Johnson's Island

Sweet little romance. I have had difficulty finding a Johnson's Island anywhere in Puget Sound, certainly nowhere near Edmonds, Olympia, Tacoma, Shilshole Bay or anywhere that has an Anthony's and a Marina.

ThucydidesThucydidesover 4 years agoAuthor
Johnson Island

I deliberately left the location a little vague. I don't know of a Johnson Island in Puget Sound either.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great read

My publishers are only a few blocks from the Empress Hotel and my wife and I love the place! we sail, too, but on Lake of the Woods in NW Ontario, a couple of hours from our home. Loved the story, brought back fond memories! Keep up the great work.

G5902G5902about 4 years ago
Wonderful story!

This is a nice week down at the beach because I am enjoying some of my favorite reads from the past. This is a beautiful story and thank you for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
To Anon 01-26-20

Lake of The Woods is in N. Minn (Northwest angle) and S.W. Ontario, Whatever -this is a great story, read it enough that I have it almost memorized.

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherabout 4 years ago
That was a pretty good story and without the

garbage "Jumping the Shark Shock and Awe" many of the authors on Literotica seem to think they need to make their stories different and stand out. Sometimes people forget one of life's basic tenants............. KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Fantasric. Story

Great story and in my favorites

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Great Work

Back to back. This is the second great story that appeared then disappeared on YouTube. How refreshing to see it again on Literotica. This is truly a great love story and I'm honored to have been able to read it again here. Excellent writing and an excellent read. one of my all time favorites. 5 (thousand) stars! CC

ThucydidesThucydidesalmost 4 years agoAuthor
Youtube?

I had no idea someone had done this on Youtube. What did it look like?

tiercenpttiercenptalmost 4 years ago

simple story, simple love, and romance storyline.

sometimes a nice easy read it's all it's needed.

very nice! 5 Stars

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous