All Comments on 'Somewhere Else in Time'

by Jorunn

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
boatbummboatbumm6 months ago
Cute Take On A Classic Film

Thanks for posting -- now I've got the urge to see the movie again!

JorunnJorunn6 months agoAuthor

The premise for time travel in this story is taken from the 1980 movie, "Somewhere in Time" starring Christopher Reeve (aka Superman) and the lovely Jane Seymour. An eighty year old woman hands young Christopher Reeve a watch and says, "come back to me." He sees a photo of her at the Grand Hotel museum, and as he learns about her, he discovers she had a book on time travel. He talks to the author and goes back in time using the method described in my story. The middle part of the story shows the two falling in love in 1912. But he finds a modern coin in his pocket and the spell is broken. He tries, but cannot return. The movie ends as he dies and his spirit rejoins hers. I like my ending, where my characters spend 25+ happy years together. And my ending, of an Internet photo showing both characters, would have looked wonderful as an ending scene in the movie, fading away with an old photo of Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour hanging together in the hotel museum.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Loved the movie. Thanks for taking me back to the island!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I always loved that movie, both its premise and the tender poignancy of the actors' performances, especially Jane Seymour's. Though not particularly a critical success (nor a financial one), the strength of the love underlying the "Somewhere in Time" travel tale resonates still, and versions of the "going back in time for one's true love" storyline continue to be created. {Witness The Time Traveler's Wife, About Time, Midnight in Paris (all starring Rachel McAdams), The Lake House, Kate and Leopold, and my all-time favorite--The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.} The "goodreads" website lists over 950 books with time travel romance as their reason for being--and their list is outdated.

All of which is to say that this fantasy love story by Jorunn has a legitimate basis for being, and within the parameters within which it operates (brevity of length and limits to its character development) sketches out a logically thought-out plot (imitating that of the reference in the title) and believable characters. The skill of its composition (grammar, spelling, dialogue) allows it to flow from stage to stage without saying to one's self..."Wait. What?"

Keep writing, Jorunn. And thanks for this "flashback in time".

MLJ

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy6 months ago

Delightful story!

5

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Sweet and lovely.

THANK YOU.

Be Well and Happy,

Paul

SplitGeode66SplitGeode666 months ago

I liked the premise and the story. Thanks! 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

My wife and I were so taken with that movie that when our daughter was born, we didn't use the name we planned. Instead, we used Jane Seymour's character name - Elise.

Thanks for the memory.

hindsight2020hindsight20205 months ago

Cute lovely tale. 5*

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJorunn@Jorunn
A poet at heart, and writer of stories; of love, romance and nature's glories. There is some of me in all of my stories. I am a Huldra, a Shield-Maiden, and a Valkyrie. Jorunn Skaldmaer is an historical figure, one of the only known female Skaldic poets, and worked in the ...