Southern Cross - Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks, Aunt Tiffany. There is something you can do. Would you tell people out there the news? We're having a small service this week, but will have a celebration of life on the 12th of next month. Once the plans are set I'll email you in case anyone can come out for it. I know it would mean a lot to mom if you could, but I understand how busy you all are as well."

"You just send me the details, darlin', and you can be sure we'll be there. You mom is a strong woman, but she still needs her family near her when possible.

"I'll be sure to tell Jack's brothers as soon as I hang up from you, and then spread the word around town. Lots of people will want to know."

"Thanks, Aunt Tiffany. I'll be in touch soon. Give my love to everyone."

"Will do, baby. And give your mom a big hug from me and Aunt Susan."

*****

Jack's funeral service was intimate and beautifully done, with the minister finishing up as the sun set. Sara wanted it timed that way, as Jack had always loved watching the sunset. Growing up, Maimiti listened as he told stories of mermaids and long forgotten sailors, and as the sun hit the horizon, he would hiss as if the sun was hitting the water.

After the service, Charlotte and her husband invited everyone to their house for a light meal. Everybody was still thinking about Jack, and soon the stories began of things he had done. Jokes he told. Pranks he had played on people. And soon the house was full of laughter and happy tears. Sara looked at her daughter and said,

"Your dad would love this."

Weeks later was the celebration of life, and what a celebration it was. Friends and family came from all over the world. Sara knew most of the people, but many were friends from the music world that Sara had never met. Sean came, along with Sarah and Annabelle. Tiffany, Susan, Rich, and Isaac were there, as well as A.P. and his wife. Soon the hall was filled to overflowing with family and friends, and more stories were told as the evening went on.

Rich and Isaac both told of their time with their older brother. Stories from growing up on the ranch, touring with the band, and times spent on vacations. A.P. spoke of his friendship with Jack over the years. Many others spoke of how Jack had influenced their lives. Finally, Maimiti got up to speak. She had encouraged her mom to say something, but she knew she would only end up crying and she didn't want to embarrass herself that way. So Maimiti would speak for both herself and Sara.

"First of all, on behalf of my mom and from me, thank you all for coming. Dad always said he knew people from around the world, and today proves that. Jack was many things to many people -- a loving husband, brother, brother-in-law, uncle, son, and business owner; a rock star musician, singer, songwriter, and most of all, a friend to most everyone he met. But to me he was just dad. A dad who helped teach me to swim, how to play the guitar, and how to sing; a dad who taught me to sail and helped me discover my love of the ocean; a dad who never balked at me having my friends over time and again for pool parties, controlling the grill as he watched us having fun. It wasn't until years later that I learned he did all that, not just out of love for me, but to make sure my friends and I weren't out doing stupid teenager stuff.

"He was a dad that, when it came time for me to decide what to do with my life, encouraged me to follow my heart -- that no matter what I did, he would love me still. And when I made that decision to follow in mom's footsteps to become a marine biologist, he was my biggest fan. So even though he was so many things to so many people, to me he was just my dad. My dad, who got me through my teenage angst years when I was certain my mom hated me, and didn't understand what it was like to ever be a teenager -- my dad who listened to me rage about so many things that now look so insignificant now that he's not here. My dad, who I am eternally grateful to when he took a chance all those years ago to hire a just-off-the-plane blonde Southern California chick who I am proud to call mom. My dad, who we honor and celebrate here today, who is missing one hell of a party, is something to everyone here. We all have our stories and remembrances of him, but no matter what you call him, to me he is simply dad."

Finishing her speech with tears in her eyes, Maimiti rushed over to hug Sara, who was crying as well.

"Oh baby, that was beautiful. You dad would be very proud of you right now."

*****

Life slowly got back to normal for the two women. Sara enjoyed having an extended time to spend with her daughter, and Maimiti enjoyed the time with her mom. They talked, swam, spent time on their boat, and snorkeled -- everything except talk about the elephant in the room -- life without Jack.

They were lazing around the pool one afternoon working on their tans, when Sara found the courage to start the needed conversation.

"So tell me, sweetie, when do you plan to head back to New Zealand? Not that I'm anxious for you to leave, but don't you need to get back to your research project?"

"When I left the director told me to take as much time as I needed, so I really don't need to head back in a hurry. Besides, if I went back, I'd be leaving you here alone to run the business. And speaking of that, what are you planning to do with it?"

"I'm not really sure what I want to do. I've been thinking of selling it, buying a much smaller boat, and doing some of the same things as before, but on a much smaller basis. Jack was able to run the business by himself, but that was a long time ago, and I'm sure I couldn't do it alone on such a large boat. And I also worry about running a tour business by myself -- a single woman alone on her boat these days isn't very safe. So I'm not sure what my plans are."

Both women were quiet for a time until Maimiti spoke in a soft whisper.

"Sell it to me."

Sara looked at her daughter, who was sitting with a serious look on her face, and almost didn't hear what she said.

"Sell it to me, mom. Then I could keep the Music II and you can help me run the excursions. Two of the most renowned female marine biologists running this business together -- we'll be a huge hit."

"But what about your career? Your research? Your place at the university? What about all that?"

"All that doesn't matter. How many years did you work the business while doing important research at the same time? I can do the same thing. I did the research thing and while it was exciting work, living on a small boat with no privacy is not how I want to spend my days. I'd much rather live here with you and continue my research here. With you."

"If that's what you want then I'm not going to argue with you. However, I'm not going to sell you the business."

"What? Why not?"

"Because I'm going to give it to you. You dad would love nothing more than to see you in charge, doing what he loved so much. The business is yours, baby. All we need to do is go to Government House sometime to make it official. And yes, I would love to be your deck hand."

*****

12 years later

"Maimiti, good to see you. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing ok, Lacey. How's mom today?"

"Not much change from yesterday. The doctor was in earlier, but I don't think she realized who it was. Do you think she knows what today is?"

"Maybe deep down, but I doubt it. Ok if I send the kids in first?"

"Of course. They always seem to cheer her up."

Maimiti knelt down to speak to her children.

"Ok, Jack, you and Donna can go in and see grandma while I speak to the doctors. Don't be too loud, and make sure you show her your pictures. She loves to see what you draw. OK?"

Both children nodded in response, and Lacey brought them into Sara's room. She was so proud of her grandchildren, and it pained Maimiti to see the lack of recognition in her mom's eyes. The worst part was that everything happened so suddenly. One day Sara was watching the kids while Maimiti and her husband were out running errands, and the next she was in the hospital with a headache that wouldn't go away. After running multiple tests, a tumor was found in Sara's brain -- a tumor that was malignant and inoperable. And now, two months later, the cancer had spread throughout her body, changing Sara from a lively grandmother into a shell of her former self. There was nothing for any of them to do except watch her slowly slip away.

Several minutes later, Lacey brought the kids back to her friend, and had a worried look on her face. Maimiti told the kids to go outside and play on the grass and turned to Lacey.

"What is it, Lacey?"

"I asked the doctor to come here right away. Maimiti, I don't think your mom is going to last much longer. Her breathing is very shallow and she isn't responsive at all. I'm sorry, sweetie, and especially today of all days."

Today of all days, she thought. The anniversary of the day my dad died.

"You should go in and sit with your mom. Maybe she'll realize you're there."

"Yes. Would you call my husband and tell him what's going on. Hopefully he can get here quickly."

"Certainly. I've got his mobile number. Go in and be with Sara."

With tears welling in her eyes, Maimiti sat with her mom, holding her hand.

"Hi mom, it's me. How are you doing today? Lacey said you wanted to sit here in the window. It's a beautiful evening, and the sunset will be fantastic. It reminds me of the days dad would tell me stories of mermaids and sailors, and then make a hissing sound as the sun hit the water. Mom, can you hear me?"

Slowly, struggling, Sara opened her eyes and looked at her daughter.

"Maimiti, I'm glad you're here. Thank you for bringing my grandchildren one more time. They are so precious. Tell them that I love them, ok?"

"I promise, mom. Now don't talk so much; you're using up all your energy."

"Still trying to tell me what to do, even now. You always were a strong-willed child -- one of the wonderful things about you."

Sara smiled and closed her eyes. Maimiti held her mom's hands as tight as she dared, hoping she would open her eyes again. But without opening her eyes, Sara spoke.

"Do me a favor, baby. Sing my song again, one last time. You know the one, right?"

"Of course I do, mom. How could I ever forget it?"

"Sing it for me and for your father. He's right here, watching and listening."

Of course she knew the song -- the one her father had written many years before, years before even meeting Sara, but the song was about her anyway. Southern Cross.

Holding her mom's hand with one of her own, and using the other to slowly caress her mom's face, Maimiti began singing, softly at first, but slowly getting louder until her voice filled the small hospice room. She sang with all the love she had for her mom and her dad, a love she knew they had for her. She sang for her mother, who went through hell and came out the other side a woman of strength. She sang for her father who wrote the song in the throes of depression. She sang for all their friends and family who stood by their side and filled their lives with love. She sang for her own children who would never know their grandfather but who were spitting images of him. She sang for herself, a miracle baby who never should have been, but who now will have only memories to remember her remarkable parents by. She sang, knowing she would never sing this song again.

She sang.

Maimiti finished the final words as the sun set into the vast Pacific Ocean; Sara opened her eyes one final to see one last sunset. She smiled at Maimiti, whispered 'I love you, baby', and closed her eyes for the very last time.

1...456789