Spellbound Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Or what? Have me killed too? Then again, killing something you supposedly love shouldn't be too hard for you." His eyes flickered to the left when his mother's hand was stopped in midair by his wards. He knew his return would come to blows hence why he had set a ward around himself. "Having trouble there?" Adam asked, with an amused smirk.

"I wish you were never born!" Amanda shouted.

"Hey," shrugging his shoulders, "that makes two of us. At least then I wouldn't have to see the looks in my grandparent's eyes at the loss of their son because the woman he was with just had to spread her legs for some noble, who at this second is plowing his attendant," Adam said, whether it was true or not he couldn't say. Although he wouldn't put it past the man. Men like him, at least in Adam's mind, always thought those below him belonged to him and he could do whatever he wanted just because they were born to the common class. "Ever wonder why no one, and I mean no one, unless it's your parents, ever talks to you? They're ashamed of you. As they should be, if they could see you now, a commoner pretending to be noble," Adam said, getting another shot in.

"Well forgive me for trying to be a good mother and give you the things you'll need in life," Amanda yelled in disdain. She couldn't believe how foolish her son was being. Didn't he know the strings Edward could pull for him? The places he could get Adam into if only he would just put aside the attitude. However, it would seem to her, her son wanted to work himself to the bone for just an ounce of gold. "Consider this the last time I try to do something good for you!" Amanda growled from over her shoulder as she marched out of the room.

"Leave us," Edward commanded, once the servant showed Adam to his study. Where he spent enormous amount of time. "So I hear you wish to be stricken from the family rolls?" The question was rhetorical. "You know that means you'll be cut off from..."

"Yeah, don't really care," Adam said aloofly, sliding his hands into his pockets.

"I think you should given these reports," Edward spoke rattling the pieces of paper he held in his hands. "Wipe that smile off your..." Instantly his hands went to his throat as he was lifted out of his seat.

"You shouldn't believe everything you read, especially falsified reports your minions had sent back to you," Adam said, enjoying the fear in Edward's eyes as he held him aloft. "What those reports don't say is I exceled in my magic studies, as you can see from your current predicament," he said, with a sadistic grin on his lips. His eyes followed the fall of Edward's body back into his chair.

"You'll get nothing from me?!" Edward growled hoarsely as he rubbed his throat.

"Please," waving off the statement like it didn't mean anything, which it didn't, "I haven't relied on you for a damn thing in twelve years, especially not your slut. What makes you think I would give a damn now?"

"You want to go to college or a private mentor I can do that. Or I could have..." Arching an eyebrow when Adam just belted out in laughter.

"You really don't get it, do you?"

"Get what?" Edward asked, at a lost.

"I don't give a shit. How plainly must I say that? For a noble you sure are as stupid as you look. These past twelve years haven't taught you damn thing have they? Not once, not a single damn time, have I asked or wanted anything from you or her. Yet, you two keep sending shit that I have no interest in, so into the trash it goes. You fucking get it now?" Adam growled darkly.

"So everything your mother has done to make you see that a noble life is better than that trash we pulled you out of was wasted on you, is that what you're telling me?" Edward asked, hiding how perturbed he was that he couldn't break Adam's hold. His brown eyes slyly ran over Adam's body, sensing how the magjols in the air swirled around his body. It was impossible for a commoner such as Adam to have that amount of magjols. "Only the nobility and royalty are meant to have that kind of power!" Edward seethed in his mind.

"Pretty much," shrugging his shoulders, "was I asked if I wanted to be ripped away from my father? No. Was I asked if I wanted to stay in a house filled with the very people who had my father killed? Again, no. What I wanted meant very little to that pea-size brain of yours."

"Very well then, if you want to return to being a common rat, be my guest. Know this, if you leave this house, you will never set foot in it again!" Edward threatened thinking this would force Adam back in line.

"You should be careful, rats are omnivores, you might get eaten, little noble," Adam said, cruelly. "As for this... Hell? You can keep it. All it's doing is covering up for the tiny speck of a man you are." A wicked smirk formed on his lips at how furious Edward was becoming. Rolling his eyes when Edward tried to play his anger off at tugging at the lapels of his mage robe. A robe that all participating members of the ruling council must wear to discuss the affairs of State.

"One month, that's all I'll give you. Then I want you out of my house!" Edward yelled.

"Whatever," Adam waved Edward off like he wasn't already planning on being gone by next week.

"And you will hereby cease using the name Mortanhouse."

"I've never used it so why would I care about your silly little House name," Adam said, adding another pin to Edward's already explosive temper as he left the room without being dismissed.

"You are nothing more than a common brat! Without me you'll be nothing!" Rolling his eyes at Edward's taunt, like Adam needed the man to do what he wanted to do. Never once has he relied on Edward or his family name when it was his merit and skill that got him into the best college in the country. Something he wasn't going to tell either one of them about. Knowing his mother she would try to stick her hands in what he had rightfully earned himself.

His ears twitched; his pale blue eyes glanced down as he descended the grand staircase to the ground floor. Watching how Jill, with two of her friends, were chatting loudly as they walked in through the front door. Noting how she stopped in her tracks as those brown-green eyes of hers stared up at him.

"Adam?!" Jill's voice filled the stale air. "When did you get here?" she asked, surprised to see her older brother there. She would have thought someone would have mentioned it to her.

"Yesterday," Adam said, matter-of-factly.

"But you..."

"Jill don't talk to him," Amanda said, appearing instantly without being called. "He wants to be gone from this family, its high time this family cuts those who wish to be gone from our lives," she stated turning her nose up at her son.

"Please, the sooner I can get you out of the travesty that is my life that you've made of it, the better off I'll be," Adam retorted.

"Then by all means, there's the door," Amanda said, gesturing to it. "Don't let us keep you." Her cheek twitched at the smug smirk on her eldest son's lips before Adam turned towards the servants entrance.

"Mom, what's going on?" Jill asked, confused by what she had just seen.

"Nothing you need to worry yourself about," Amanda said, in a motherly voice. "Why don't you and your friends head to your room."

"Okay," drawing out the word, "you'll tell me later, right?" Jill asked, wondering what had happened between the two of them. She knew they never got along with one another even from her earliest memories. She couldn't remember why there was bad blood, then again at that age she never really looked to deep into it given the few times Adam would come home.

"Of course, honey," Amanda said, with a warm smile. Her eyes followed after her daughter as she led her friends towards her bedroom. Releasing a sigh, her shoulders slumped wondering what had gone so wrong with her son. Wondering why Adam couldn't be more like his other siblings and just enjoy the life they have now. Why he had to be so difficult about every little thing? This was the reason she had left his father; so they could have everything a commoner could never achieve. Why couldn't Adam see that? That without Edward's influence Adam was doomed to a life of hard work and poverty. Why couldn't Adam see that? Was his hate of what she had done to his father so great that it was blinding him? "That must be it," Amanda said aloud, her closed right fist lightly striking her left palm. What Amanda failed to realize was that it was none of the above, Adam just simply hated the both of them. Walking quickly towards the servant's stairwell, knowing she had to fix this before Adam was formally kicked out of their home. "Where are you off to now?" Amanda asked, keeping the annoyance from her voice at the sight of the broom in his hand.

"Anywhere I want, obviously," Adam said, coldly.

"Adam. I know we've had our differences but I am still your mother. Do we really need to be at odds with one another?" Amanda asked, offering an olive branch.

"You did this yourself. The only person you have to blame is yourself," Adam said, slinging his bookbag over his shoulder.

"Where would you go?" Amanda asked, genuinely concerned that Adam would be sleeping in the streets.

"Home." Was the only word Adam said as he passed by his mother and out of her life.

******

Three years later...

Blodselts, Academy Of The Arcane, sat on a lush forty acres on the private floating island about two hours from Adam's hometown. For three years Adam has worked his tail to the bone to stay at the top of his class. It had all paid off when the committee for the selection of the new Sage made the rounds of the top magic schools in the country. Knowing, that if he was selected, then Adam would train under the current Sage to take over the role if or when the current one retired or was killed in a duel against another Sage. Death didn't scare him; he knew the risk if he was chosen. It was the fact if he was chosen then he could rub it in Edward's and his mother's faces. That he, if he became the new Sage, would be of a higher rank than their petty titles. The news of the results of the selection came in on the second month of his second year attending Blodselts. Where he was floored and shocked beyond belief that he was the one. The one who would face off against other Sages to keep their countries from going to war. Which in turn led to a campus wide party to celebrate the news, after which Adam was escorted to the private dorms the campus used to house those with spectacular magjol count, heir to the throne, or in his case the new apprentice to the Sage. He had asked the school not to inform anyone of the results yet. He didn't want to tip off his mother before he had the chance to rub it in her nose.

Adam was astounded once the Dean of the school showed him to his new dorm room. His eyes ran over the small kitchen area; where he knew he could make himself a late dinner due to the many late nights he had put in to cram for a class. To the small but state-of-the-art workstation; where he knew he could continue his work in alchemy. Where he was this close in making the fabled Philosopher's stone. He's already had success in making the Ebony and Crimson stones -- imperfect versions of the Philosopher's stone. He knew once he had completed it then he could tell no one about it. Due to the Elixir of Life the stone produced. He knew if word got out that he was in procession of one, then everyone and anyone would try to steal it from him. That wasn't all the stone could do, just the more famous part of its usefulness had survived through the centuries. His eyes lifted noting the open second floor where he could only see the hints of the corner of the bed.

One has to wonder how Adam could afford to attend such a prestigious school given his more humble background. Simple. Adam had learn how to transmute lead to gold when he was fourteen. Since then he's been quietly stockpiling his gold so that he would never have to rely on his mother or Edward for money. He knew he was closing in on the wealth that Edward has. He couldn't wait for when the day comes that he could rub it in Edward's face that he was richer than a noble. Adam knew that was going irk the pompous ass to no end. However, his serenity, his sanctuary was invaded on one cool spring morning.

"Now if you will follow me, I'll show you around campus. I know the two of you will just love it here!" said a bubbly, chipper red head as she escorted Edward and Amanda -- who were wearing their mage robes with their stations in life embroidered on their surface -- while Jill and Edward Jr. closely followed behind. "Blodselts has the best courses you'll find anywhere! We also have the privilege to house the apprentice to the Sage," she said dreamily, as she led them towards the dorms Edward Jr. and Jill would be using during their stay.

"Did you know the new Sage had been chosen?" Amanda whispered to Edward.

"No dear, I did not," Edward said, in a regal tone. "That kind of information is only for the King and Queen." Putting on airs to show those around him that his children belonged there. "It's to safeguard the Sage's apprentice until he or she is ready to take over," he said, wondering who it could be. Everyone knew that only the strongest and smartest were chosen as candidates to become one. He had hoped the selection ceremony wouldn't have taken place until his children had the opportunity to toss their names into the ring.

"I do hope we'll see him or her someday," Amanda said, with a warm smile on her lips. Knowing this was how life was supposed to be for her. While she was slightly saddened that her foolish son hadn't crawled back home yet, still she wasn't about to allow this amazing day to be ruined by the thoughts of her wayward son.

"As do I," Edward said, lightly patting his wife's hand.

"These are the boys dorms, and the girls is right over there," their guide said, pointing diagonally across the courtyard. "You'll find a list like this," stepping beside the bulletin board, "on the times when your room's laundry day is among other things," she stated informatively. "Make sure you check it every day, there's always lots of neat things going on around campus." Noting the looks in Amanda's and Edward's eyes when they noted that all students, be they royal, noble, or commoner would be housed all together. "Now if you'll follow me, I'll show you the lecturing halls."

"What's that for?" Jill asked, as they pasted the ornate manor that housed the more important people who came to study at the school.

"Oh, that's a special dorm for those who've earn the right to stay there. I have to tell you the other dorm rooms do not compare once you have a look inside that place," their guide answered with a smile on her lips. "Where the normal dorm rooms are packed four to a room, they," gesturing to the building, "get one all to themselves."

"How can I get one?" Edward Jr. asked, eager not to be couped up like a sardine.

"Have an outstanding magjol count, heir to the throne, or as a very special case, given how rare the selection is, to be picked as the next Sage," she said, knowing how the boy was only the son of an Earl, and how his magjol count was lower than hers he would never be able to step foot into it, at least not without an invitation. "There he is!" she squealed in joy.

"There who is?" Edward asked, confused.

"The apprentice to the Sage," she said, pointing directly at Adam. "He's so... powerful," she spoke, nearly drooling.

"Adam." The name left Amanda's lips without her realizing it.

"Do you know him?" their guide asked, perplexed.

"He's my son," Amanda muttered still at a loss as to what the girl just said. She could not... could not believe that her son, the boy who fought against the noble life, was now the apprentice to the Sage. "Adam!" Her eyebrow twitched in irritation when her son was looking every which way other than at her. "Really?! Has it been so long that you've forgotten your own mother's voice?" Her eyes went wide when she felt the surge of magjols coming off his body when that hateful glare burnt into her body. She could see the shock in Edward's eyes as well. They both had thought Adam had gone off somewhere and was working as some common laborer, not this! There was no mistaking it as she noted the gold emblem that sat over his heart on his black mage robe. Her son, her child, was indeed the next Sage. Grumbling when Adam walked off without a word.

"You sure he's your son?" asked their guide.

"He might have grown," keeping the fact that Adam had filled out nicely to herself, "and changed his hair style but that is my son," Amanda nodded, knowing how she was going to use this news to lord it over the other nobles who've looked down at her. Looking to the left of her as Jill took off running after Adam.

"Adam! Adam!" Jill called out as she raced to catch up to her older brother. Only to be knock on her ass by the barrier that kept the other students from swarming the place. "Ow!" she hissed in pain as she rubbed her sore backside. "Adam!" Jill called out once again only this time her fist hammered against the barrier. "Adam I won't stop yelling until you come see me!"

"Jill, stop this right now, it's unbecoming of an Earl's daughter," Edward said, disapprovingly.

"Don't you want to see him?" Jill asked, very confused. She knew her father and Adam never got along, yet she would have thought, after three years, her father would have softened just a little.

"No, I do not wish to see that... boy," Edward said, catching himself before insulting Adam publicly. He was wise enough not to be seen in public insulting the Sage-in-waiting. He had no wish to get into a feud with the other nobles, namely the current Sage. One where he doubted he would come out of it alive.

"Why do you care sis, he's just a common..." The smack upside the back of his head resounded along the courtyard. "Dad?!"

"You do not insult the future Sage, have I taught you nothing?" Edward growled, glaring at his son for his stupidity.

"But he's..."

"It doesn't matter what he is, he will be the Sage. Have you forgotten everything that overpriced school taught you?"

"Oh, such a heartwarming sight, little noble," Adam spoke startling them all. His sarcasm was clear as day as he stared hatefully at Edward. "I'm here, what do you want?" he asked, his gaze flickering over to his half-sister.

"Adam, don't be like that," Jill said, in a little pout. "We haven't seen each other in three years. Can't we just talk?"

"Are we not conversing right now?" Adam asked, in a smartass tone.

"You know what I mean," Jill huffed, puffing out her cheeks in annoyance.

"Talk is cheap, and my time is limited so say what you want to say," Adam said, in a cold tone.

"Why don't you step outside that barrier and I'll show them all they chose poorly," Edward Jr. said, through clenched teeth at the audacity of a common born becoming on par with the King.

"Settle down little shrimp, you aren't the big fish in this pond, and your magjol count barely got you into his place if it wasn't..." Adam nodded towards Edward. Arching an eyebrow when his mother's hands covered junior's mouth.

"Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's saying," Amanda said, nervously. Knowing some of the things that went into becoming a Sage, and she wasn't about to lose a son because her youngest couldn't keep his mouth shut.

"Seems to me he was asking for a duel," Adam said, releasing his hold on his magic. A torrent of arcane energy shot skyward, allowing his family to finally taste the full might of his power. "Do you want to know what it takes to be a Sage, little noble?" he said, sinisterly. Noting how his mother's eyes shot to the sky as lightning crawled across the darkening clouds. "It's a fight to the death. If you aren't willing to put your life on the line you aren't worthy of being called Sage. So how about it little boy, care to go toe to toe? I thought so," Adam uttered seeing his brother's knees shaking. "Be this a lesson to you, don't insult your betters or you'll find yourself dead," he said, turning to leave.