Spellbound Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Turning to face her red, almost orange hair, floated lightly on the breeze. Her sea-green eyes sparkled in the sun also with a tad bit of mischief. Her smooth angelic face showed no hints of wrinkles given her use of youth aging spells to keep people from knowing her true age of forty. Her soft pink lips curved into a warm welcoming smile at the sight of her apprentice.

"Good morning, master," Adam said, bowing to his teacher.

"Good morning, my lovely apprentice," Her voice carried a little mirth to it on the early morning air. "Since you're here so early, shall we get started with today's lesson?"

"Yes, master."

"Very good, always eager to learn, never lose that Adam. A mage who fails to continue to expand his knowledge is doomed to die by those who have surpassed him. I've seen this many times especially among other Sages. Just because you reached the top, per se, does not mean you're learning is finished."

"I understand."

"Good. Follow me and we'll get started with your morning exercises," Holly said, beckoning him to follow. "Tell me Adam, why would I choose this place?" she asked, gesturing out towards the abandon quarry.

"To keep whatever spell I summon from damaging the surrounding area," Adam said, repeating the same answer he had given her on the fourth day of his training.

"Yes, that is true," Holly said, with a sly grin. "We mustn't have the locals up in arms because of our spellwork."

"Now do as I have taught you and summon the grimoire," Holly commanded. Her eyes always on her student as Adam repeated the incantation she had taught him early on. One of the requisites in becoming the next Sage was to have the grimoire accept you as its next master. The book contained every spell that every former Sage since the founding of their kingdom had used. It also was very picky in who it chose to be it's next master. The candidate had to have at least the similar magjol count as the current Sage before it would even open. That was the first test, if you passed the duels that were to the death, the only time one could bow out was right before the match. Ninety-eight percent of the candidates did so once they were told what was at stake. After the matches, only five were left standing. The second test if you could open the book was to actually cast a spell from one of its many pages. The third test was to see if you survived the spellcasting given how one would have to use a great portion of his magjols just to open said tome. Adam felt sorry for the three who died trying to reach for the stars.

Of course, everyone was sworn to secrecy on what the test were about. Then again, given that it was Holly who oversaw the testing no one would dare go against her rule. She's only had to invoke the binding curse twice in her time as Sage to keep the public from finding out the countries most kept secret. Her sea-green eyes shimmered in pride as the grimoire appeared instantly at Adam's call.

"Let's start out with a bang, doesn't that sound fun?!" Holly asked, with a mischievous grin. "That's it, good, good, keep the image of the meteor in your mind. Now bring it into reality," she instructed, noting how Adam's brow was furrowed as he concentrated. Her sea-green eyes watched as the spell descended towards the ground. The explosion played along her face as the fires that were created consumed the plant life that had taken root down within the quarry.

Adam panted heavily as he rested against the trunk of a tree. Ten times his master had him perform that spell, ten times it took everything to bring that spell into the material realm. He was so spent. Digging into his bag, pulling out one of his snacks that would replenish his magjol count.

"What was the first lesson I taught you?" Holly asked, her fingertips danced lightly along the petals of the flower she was studied it.

"The Sage must be ready to do battle at any time," Adam answered once he had swallowed his bite.

"And why do I test you so hard?" Holly inquired; her sea-green eyes flickered up at him.

"So that when I become the Sage I can do battle without relying on the grimoire to cast the spell."

"Adam, your pocket is flashing," Holly stated seeing the faded light illuminating the fabric of his pants. Watching how Adam quickly shoved his hand into pocket. Seeing the small crystal ball sitting in the palm of his hand, the same orb she had given him in order to get in contact with him when she had the time to train him.

"Grandpa? How are you?" Adam asked, as the crystal ball projected his grandfather's face six inches above it.

"Adam? Where are you? Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"I'm training grandpa, I told you I was chosen," Adam said, blushing hard as Holly cast him a look.

"Right. Sorry, son..."

"Grandpa what's wrong?" Adam asked, seeing the look in his grandfather's eyes he knew something must have happened to his grandmother. She must have taken a bad turn during her treatment, or in his opinion; trying to prolong her life enough so the illness she had contracted, which the healers could never cure her of, something he suspected was their way of keeping the best healing spells for the nobility.

"It's Elenore, she's..." Frank couldn't finish his sentence unable to say the word that his wife was about to die and he couldn't do a damn thing about it.

"I'll be there as fast as I can!" Adam said, quickly getting to his feet.

"Go, we'll finish this training Wednesday," Holly spoke, nodding in understanding.

"Son, you don't..."

"I'm coming, don't worry grandma will be better I promise," Adam said, with determination. Knowing what he was going to do. The stone only produced the Elixir of Life once a day, when he would remove it from secret compartment he had created to keep the stone safe and as secret as he could. He has been bottling the Elixir whenever he felt it was safe to retrieve it from its hiding place. Where he also stored the bottles to keep out of the wrong hands. He had no idea what the Elixir would do given how no one in history has ever created the Philosopher's stone, or no ones ever recorded it. Then again, if they were like him, who knew the dangers and burden of being in possession of the stone, they wouldn't advertise it. Placing his crystal ball back into his pocket not seeing his master approaching him. Adam was taken by surprise as Holly kissed him out of nowhere. Then he felt the influx of magjols invading his body replenishing his own spent magic as her tongue rolled within his mouth.

"You needed it," Holly said, with an amused smirk at Adam's shocked expression. "It's the fastest way to restore your magic. Now you shouldn't keep them waiting," she said, backing away. "We'll continue this later when more pressing family matters aren't calling you away."

"Yes master, thank you for..."

"I too am a commoner as much as I've tried to change things for those like us, you know how the nobles are?" Holly asked, waving him off. "Now go, save your grandmother," she said, with a knowing smile. "Do be careful with that Elixir, it's a dangerous thing," Holly muttered aloud as she watched Adam race back towards his college. To those, or more precisely her, the creation of such a powerful magical item was a beacon to those, her, that was entuned to the flow of magjols. However, the technique has been lost among the population due to the last magic war where most of the magical texts were lost when the Verlyn army destroyed the Great Library of Gabreal. Yet the former Sages of their kingdom were wise enough to recreate the magical texts that were lost to the fires.

"Faster, must go faster," Adam growled as the wind howled in his ears. He wasn't about to allow his grandfather to do this alone, and he wasn't about to let his grandmother die either. He was not about to let down the two people who helped him deal with the loss of his father, and he wasn't about to let his grandfather suffer all alone. Jumping off his broom before it came to a complete stop, dashing into his dorm, closing and locking his door to keep the few who lived there from inadvertently walking in on him. His thumb ran along the glass as he stared at the bottle in his hand. Watching the clear liquid sloshing within it. Praying that it could save his grandmother. Stuffing it and another in his bag, it wouldn't do if he was only saving his grandmother. If his planned work then both of them will be able to restart their lives, and hopefully this will give them a second chance to be parents all over again. Although that would require them to move from the city if what he thought what will happen happens when they consume the Elixir. Still, if he could give them another fifty years together it was worth it. Racing back outside, arching an eyebrow when it seemed to him his broom was slightly annoyed he had left it there. That was not what he's come to experience from his time having it in his possession. Pushing himself as he raced towards the city hoping he could make it in time.

Adam was breathing hard as he braced himself against the doorframe of the room the healers had placed her in. His heart was breaking as he noted how his grandfather was on the verge of tears knowing the very best thing in his life was slipping through his fingers. Noting how labored his grandmother's breathing was, how ashen she looked, he could feel the life slipping from her body.

"Adam," Frank whispered, rising from his seat when he finally noticed his grandson standing in the doorway. Seeing the sweat on his brow, how his chest was heaving, seeing the tiredness in his eyes wondering how hard he had pushed himself just to get here. Embracing Adam in a tight hug silently thanking him for being there with him, he didn't know if he could handle letting Elenore go if he was alone, he doubted he could do it even with Adam in the same room with him.

"I got here as fast as I could," Adam muttered low so the healers passing by wouldn't overhear their conversation.

"I'm glad you came, I know Elenore would be happy that we're here with her when she passes," Frank said, trying not to break down.

"I have a plan," Adam said, pulling away.

"What are you talking about?!" Frank asked, with a worried and curious look in his eyes when Adam cast a spell on Elenore's room door.

"I think I can save grandma, no, I know I can," Adam said, firmly. Wishing he had this Elixir when he was younger maybe then he could have saved his father. Since he couldn't he was going to save Jason's mother for his failure to protect his father. While it was noble, if totally inconsequential given that he was six at the time, still Adam felt like he owed it to his father.

"What?! Adam the healers have done everything that they could," Frank said, trying not to get his hopes up. He didn't know if his heart could take it.

"Have they?" Adam asked, accusingly. "Have they really done everything to save her, or have they allowed you to think that because we're commoners and don't deserve the best like they dole out to the nobility? Trust in me grandpa, I can save her if you let me," he said, in all seriousness.

Frank's eyes darted back and forth seeing the unwavering truth in Adam's eyes as he spoke those words. "I pray that you really mean that Adam, I don't know if this old heart of mine can take it if..."

"Have I ever lied to you grandpa?"

"No, you never have," Frank said, truthfully.

"Then believe in me," Adam spoke, the unconditional love he had for his grandparents shone brightly in his eyes.

"What do we need to do?" Frank asked, if Adam thought he could save his wife, then by all the Gods in the heavens he wasn't about to stand on the side lines any longer!

"We? Nothing, Grandma just needs to drink this," Adam said, pulling out the bottle from his bookbag. "You have to promise me you will never tell a soul on how she was healed."

"What is it?" Frank inquired, eyeing the clear liquid suspiciously.

"The Elixir of Life," Adam stated matter-of-factly.

"But... that can't be, you'd have to have the..." Frank's words died in his throat when Adam nodded. He was dumbfounded. Could his grandson have done the impossible? Could that really be the Elixir of the legends? "How?"

"I created it over a month ago, so I can't say what all the effects of the potion will be, but I know for certain it will save her."

"If this works, then I promise no one will ever find out from us about what you have," Frank said, making his pledge to his grandson. Watching Adam moving towards his grandmother's side, noting how carefully he lifted Elenore's head off the pillow so she could drink.

"Grandma, it's Adam," he said, watching her eyelids flutter yet remained closed. "I'm going to need you to drink all of this, okay? I promise it will make you feel better," Adam spoke in a soft, soothing, loving voice. Uncorking the bottle with his teeth, pressing the lip of the bottle against Elenore's lips. Seeing how she was trying to swallow it all at once only to slow down so she wouldn't choke on it. Backing away from the bed once she had drained the last drop. Nodding to his grandfather when he stepped beside him as they waited to see if anything happened. Adam had to hold Frank back when Elenore released a loud gasp, her back lifting off the bed before she fell back onto it. Frank squirmed in Adam's arms to get to his wife as she laid motionless on the bed, however, that all came to an end as a wave washed over her. Turning back the years, wrinkles began to fade, her skin grew youthful and healthy, her grey hair receded back to her natural midnight black that dominated her youth. Her breathing was regular and strong. Gone was the sickly look that had marred her face for years which now shone in the vibrance of youth.

"By the Gods!" Frank gasped never in all his years did he think anything like this was possible. Sure there were spells to keep one looking youthful yet that was all glamour only skin deep. It didn't turn back time like what he had just witnessed. Feeling the pressure of Adam's hold loosening on his body, he was about to go to Elenore's side until Adam took him by the arm.

"Here. You should drink this too. No sense in letting grandma be the only one," Adam said, holding out the other bottle to his grandfather.

"Why me? I know how precious that is, how much you could sell that for. You could be set for life. Why give it to this old man?"

"Because after Dad was killed, you two have been the only people in this world I could truly trust and rely on. You did everything in your power to make me feel like I wasn't alone when I know you two were hurting just as much as I was. So I thought what better way to repay your love, than to give the two of you a second chance. To start all over again, to have another child to love like I know how much you cared for Dad..."

"Frank?" Elenore's voice was harsh and horse from the burning sensation of her throat. "What's..." Her eyes shot wide open at the sound of her voice, a sound she hasn't heard in a very long time. Her eyes darted to her hair as it was feathered out beside her, down to her hands, who's fingers had been crooked from arthritis, then she felt how strong her heart, her breathing, her whole entire being was. Gone were the aches and pains that come with old age. "Oh, my Gods!" Elenore exclaimed in shock when she stared into her shirt only to be met with youthful, firm breasts that had lost their battle with gravity some twenty years ago. "What in the Sam Hill is going on here?!" Her blue eyes followed her husband as he walked towards the chair beside her bed. Watching how he uncorked a strange bottle and downed its contents. "Young man, you better explain what is happening right this second or so help me!" A little taken aback by that wide smile on her grandson's face.

"This is my gift to the two of you. You've been cured and well you can see you've grown younger," Adam stated walking around her bed to the other chair. "Watch," he nodded towards his grandfather. Noting how Elenore's eyes widening in surprise as she watched her husband returning to his youth right before her eyes.

"How can this be?" Elenore asked, looking over at her grandchild. "No, surely not!" she gasped when Adam told her everything.

"I did."

"But why?"

"Because I love you," Adam said, thinking that was the best reason to save the two most important people in his life. "Plus, this way the two of you can start over again and raise another child. I know it will never make up for the loss of Dad, but I hope it will fill the hole I know his death has created in your hearts," he said, in a loving tone as his hand rested over his grandmother's.

"Oh, honey," Elenore said, tears began to form in her eyes. "You know we love you too. Come here," she said, holding out her arms to Adam. "Thank you for saving my life Adam. If Jason was still alive I know he would be so proud of you," Elenore said softly, gently rubbing his back as her cheek rested on his right shoulder.

"Damn, that thing has a kick to it," Frank groaned as he came to.

"Well, hello handsome," Elenore said, with a sultry look in her eyes. "Come give your wife a kiss," she said, puckering her lush, youthful lips at her husband.

"Oh, with pleasure," Frank said, with a wide grin. Feeling energy and strength surging through his body. A feeling he thought he would never experience again as he slid onto the bed and passionately kissed his wife. "I thought I was going to lose you," he whispered pressing his forehead against hers.

"Shh, I'm not going anywhere, not ever, not unless you're with me," Elenore said, with a love that hasn't faltered, waned, or died out in their fifty years of marriage.

"Get a room you two," Adam teased.

"We have one, yet someone is in the room with us," Elenore shot back with a smirk.

"Ew!" Adam belted out a laugh when they both rolled their eyes at him.

"So what are we going to do honey? We can't go home, not like this, it will raise too many questions," Elenore asked, knowing that was the truth. A person doesn't just age backwards fifty years in a day.

"I don't..."

"You have to move out of the city to a place no one knows you," Adam cut in.

"Adam moving takes money, and everything we had was spent on Elenore's treatments. That's why your presents have been light for the past few years," Frank stated factually.

"I know, why I never made a big fuss about it. Plus it came from the two of you so I didn't care if I got a hundred or just one. It was the heart you put into it that mattered. As for the money, well, you just let me handle that," Adam said, rising from his seat. Seeing their perplexed looks when he placed his hands on their foreheads and muttered a spell. "There that should get you past the healers without them freaking out," he said, once the glamour spell took hold on their bodies making an outsider believe they were just an elderly couple until they could get out of the city. "It will only last a few days, so we need to be quick," Adam said, pulling out his coin purse that contained a thousand gold pieces and lying it in his grandfather's hand so they could pay off the healers and leave town debt free.

"Adam, we can't take this?!" Frank stated once he peered into the purse.

"You can and you will," Adam said, firmly. "Now you get Grandma home, while I go fetch you enough money to set up in a new town."

"Adam, what about you? If we leave here what will you do?" Elenore asked, not eager to be parted from her grandson.

"Finish my training, school, hunt the people responsible for my father's death, and attend court with my master, and visiting my family when I have time," Adam said, as he slipped his hand into Elenore's.

"You be careful you hear me? Just because you're going to become the Sage does not mean you can do what you want and the nobles won't take up arms over it. As powerful as the Sage is, even you cannot fight an army alone," Elenore said, in a stern, loving grandmotherly voice.