Spellbound Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Adam, can I help?" Jill asked as she stepped into his kitchen.

"Ever peeled... of course you have if you spent a night or two at grandma's house," Adam said, catching himself. Pointing to the drawer where he stored the peeler at.

"Adam, are we having what I think we're having?" Jill asked, excited at the chance to have a taste of home.

"Yeah, but this is based off my grandmother's recipe, hers is a tad better, just don't tell Grandma Esmeralda that, or I'll never hear the end of it," Adam stated as he got the smoked pork sausage the dish was based off of from his icebox.

"Lips are sealed," Jill uttered, knowing that was true.

"So, Adam, would you be upset if I asked about your dad's parents'?" Jill asked once she had washed the vegetables

"Why would I be?" Adam muttered, looking at her waiting for her to ask her question. "They've been together for over fifty years now," he said with a smile on his lips as he thought of them fondly.

"I remember you telling me that she was sick," Jill recounted, seeing the look of sadness in his eyes.

"Yeah, they had to move to another town to get her the care she needed, but I get out as much as my studies allow," Adam stated, moving the links into a bowl once he had browned the last of them then proceeded to smash the three cloves of garlic.

"Sorry to hear that, Adam; I hope she's getting well," Jill uttered in a sincere tone. Her eyes were on him as the onion sizzled in the hot pan. Moving out of the way when his kettle hissed.

"Either of you tried a sausage roll before; it's going to be awhile until the onions are ready," Adam stated as he added the hot water to his french press, seeing the two of them looking to Jill, who nodded that it would be awhile.

"No, what are they?" Skyler asked, wondering if this was something his grandmother taught him.

"Meat-filled pastry; I make them so when I'm studying, I'll have something to eat if I miss a meal," Adam said, uncovering the bowl he pulled out of his icebox, while the coffee steeped, muttering a spell over the bowl returning them to their once hot goodness. "Help yourself," he muttered, placing the bowl and coffee out for them, along with three cups.

"How often do you make these?" Ryann asked over her cupped hand to keep the crumbs from the pastry crust getting everywhere.

"Every Sunday night; got me through a few months when I couldn't remember if I was coming or going half the time," Adam stated, returning to his task of making the gravy. "I make about ten at a time; I'm willing to share if you would like one when I do for whenever you need a snack," he said from over his shoulder, not seeing the looks in the three women's eyes.

"Adam, see if you can make heads or tails out of this spell," Jill spoke, pushing her textbook towards him. Sipping on her coffee as they waited on the onions to cook down and soften. She was surprised he used the juice of a blood orange in the onions. Watching how he stared at it oddly, pushing it every other way, wondering what those pale blue eyes of his saw when he read a spell tome. Noting how his hands were moving as he worked the spell out in his head.

"Cur' DeZe," Adam chanted as the spell flared to life between his hands.

"How did you do that?!" Skyler asked in wonder.

"Well, I can see why you're confused, you see from here," pointing at a part of the description of the execution of the spell, noting where their eyes were looking, "to here," about two and a half paragraphs down from it, "you can get rid of, it's what's causing the feedback in your spells," Adam uttered, pointing it out. "Spells of this caliber require a little more control than what you're used to."

"What do you mean?" Ryann asked curiously.

"This kind of spell the user has to be able to feel and control the flow of magjols, you don't need to be a master, but a very good grasp on it is a must. Either of you have a summoning class?" Adam asked, trying to find an example so they could understand.

"No, I wasn't going to join one till mid-semester," Skyler sat up, very intrigued by what he had just said and how Jill appeared to have a dawning light in her eyes; as if something they shared in private.

"Good, it will help with your control if you're rusty."

"But how?!" Ryann asked dumbfoundedly as she stared down at her hands when she failed to cast the spell like she had seen Adam moving his hands.

"It's not enough to simply repeat the words and hand movements; you have to draw the element to you as you do all that," Adam instructed as he cut up the potatoes that Jill had peeled. "I'll show you after dinner," he said, setting the pot on his stove.

"Cur' DeZe," Jill chanted in a firm tone, her eyes going wide in glee as she stared down at the demi-class spell that sat hovering in the air between her hands.

"Knew you had it in you," Adam encouraged as he stirred the gravy and replaced the lid. "If you can master it before the midterms, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the spell casting part; the rest I can't help you with."

"Adam, what are you reading? What kind of tome is that?" Jill asked in wonder as it and two others floated in front of him as he kept an eye on their dinner.

"Something from the Sage's library," Adam lied; it was his Fae grimoire.

"Adam, can I ask, what was your training about?" Jill asked in a curious tone.

"Mental discipline, for the most part," Adam gestured to his kitchen as he was maintaining three spells at once. "It will help you mold the flow to the shape of the spell quicker. It's handy in the mock duels they have during exams."

"Those really happen?" Ryann uttered in a nervous tone.

"Yeah, shame though."

"What's a shame?" Skyler inquired, wondering if she could pass those tests or if she would freeze up.

"The school kind of exempted me from doing those once I was named the next Sage. I can see why; it won't be fair to my peers if I did since the level of magic they're studying I have long since surpassed."

"Okay, Adam, if you make this again, you have to invite me," Jill muttered as her fork pointed down at her meal.

"It's simple, yet tasty and filling, much better than what's being served in the cafeteria," Ryann whispered after savoring her bite.

As their meal continued, stories were passed from one to another, jokes were shared, ideas exchanged. Adam just sat there watching how the three of them were in a hot debate over a class of magic. Pondering if they would finally find the secret that class of magic was hiding in plain sight. Once their meal was finished and the dishes were sitting in the sink, the four could be found out in the courtyard that sat dead center of the building to give those that dwell within its private setting. It was well past eight that night when it was only him and Jill left in his dorm room.

"Adam, I really do appreciate what you're doing for us," Jill said as she helped to tidy up his space.

"You're welcome," Adam said as he wiped down his kitchen table.

"Maybe, you'll let me take two of those rolls with me?" Jill uttered with a greedy smile.

"There's brown paper under the sink if you want to wrap them up," Adam offered as he went about putting up his dishes.

Chapter Four

Holly Harthorne (current Sage and Adam's master), stretched in her bed, smiling as the warm morning light shone down on her. However, that all was tossed to the wind when her eyes snapped open. She felt so weak. Her eyes darted to and fro, trying to remember when her fertile time was. Her hand flew to her mouth, recounting their time in the Fae lands. Peering down her chest, knowing what the feeling of having half her magjol count cut from the person meant. She was pregnant with Adam's child. Then worry, knowing what this would also mean and what it could mean for their kingdom.

She knew with her in this condition, she couldn't fulfill her duties as Sage. No. Until their child was born, she was a liability to the kingdom. They would have to rely on Adam until then if some kingdom sought to test them with her out of action. Holly knew the first thing she would have to do was inform the King and Queen, then fetch Adam, praying that her student was up to the challenge so early in the years of his apprenticeship. Then once Adam had been brought up to date and came to terms with getting to know the walls of her rooms quite well for the next nine months.

******

Amanda just stared at her son like she wasn't seeing him. She knew her son, knew how he felt on a magic sense, yet something about him seemed very off with her. Her eyes slyly fell on the brooch he was wearing, knowing what it meant. Someone had taught her son how to make a counter charm and a strong one to boot. However, the charm wasn't what held her gaze.

"My, Adam, that's a very unique tunic you have on; where did you get it?" Amanda inquired.

"On my travels," Adam answered in an aloof tone. "So are we ready?" he asked, eager to be gone.

"One moment, honey, let me just tell Edward I'm heading out; why don't you come in and wait," Amanda said, inviting her son in, noting the eyes his arrival had garnered.

Keeping his face placid as he stepped over the threshold. Knowing step one in his plan had gone off without a hitch. Now he needed time and solitude to put the next phase into motion. "I'll wait in there," Adam spoke, pointing to the small sitting room they entertained visiting nobles in.

"Of course, Adam, I will only be but a moment," Amanda said, trying to keep her voice steady in the presence of her son so as not to give away how much of a slut she was for him.

Adam didn't waste a second once he was left alone. Drawing the curtains to make it as dark as he could. Finding the darkest spot and moved to stand in front of it. Muttering the spell for the dark fairy he had made a pact with and holding out his payment in his hand.

"You'll have it by dawn tomorrow," the three-foot fairy uttered as it stood half in and half out of the shadows before taking its payment.

Adam knew Edward well enough to know the man must have kept something of his involvement in his father's murder around. If it was within his manor, the fairy would find it. Whatever it was, he would find it and deliver it to him on the allotted hour.

"Adam," Amanda stood in the doorway, noting how he was staring out the window. Seeing Jason in him when Adam gazed at her like that. "If you're ready," she whispered, gesturing to the door.

"Now, my Lord Sage, Countess Mortanhouse, this is the last great estate I have to show you," the male gnome, that Ward Financial had sent, stated hoping sell off the estates the former owners defaulted on. Casting Adam a quizzical look when he tasted the scent of the Fae around Adam. "The former Lord thought to live in this place one day, only to meet his end in the castle conspiring with his other lords over ninety years ago the day it was completed. So it's sat, unused, all this time."

"Why?" Adam asked, peering down at the gnome.

"The bank's asking price is a tad high for most of the nobles given the cost they sunk into the place in lieu of the loans they lent to the former Lord," the man said as he showed them around. Adam had to admit the location wasn't bad, yet he also knew it would take a lot of money to get it back up into use again.

"How much is the bank asking for this place?" Adam inquired, knowing he would have to get a gardener as his eyes surveyed the front of the estate.

"Two million gold pieces."

"I see, well, show me the rest, and if I find it to my liking, then we have a deal," Adam said as his eyes centered on the gnome.

"Now that we know Countess Mortanhouse is your steward, we will work with her in managing your funds to pay to refurbish the manor to your liking, Lord Sage," the man stated, leading them around the first floor. It already felt too big for him, and they still had another two floors to go.

"I promise, Adam, I will make this place fit for a King," Amanda spoke, telling him she wouldn't let him down as they climbed to the second floor.

"Two million you said, correct?" Adam spoke after the three of them had been standing silently in the room for the Master suite while he stared down at the garden that lay strewn across the entire back of the estate.

"Yes, my Lord. It is."

"Very well, withdraw the funds I set aside from vault 2536," Adam uttered, remembering how he had already moved that amount of gold to one of the more lesser secured vaults that Amanda would be allowed to access before they had set out to look at the homes in their possession. It wasn't lost on him how his mother was staring at him when the man had asked how much he wanted to set aside for the restoration of one of the homes Amanda had picked out.

"Excellent news, now if I could just get you to sign this," the man said, holding out the forms Adam needed to sign giving ownership to him. "And here is the deed to the estate; I hope you enjoy your new home." Handing Adam the deed and two keys dangling from a key ring before heading out of the room now that his task was complete.

"If you spend more than what's in the vault, you will be covering the cost, am I clear?" Adam stated in a firm tone, holding out a duplicate set of keys he had just conjured.

"Yes, Adam, I understand," Amanda nodded; her touch was light yet with a longing caress to it as her fingertips skimmed along her son's fingers as she took the keys from him. "Adam, now that you have your own place, you must hold an open house for the nobles. It's to announce to all the kingdom that you live here," she spoke in a motherly, teacherly voice only to have her gaze drawn to Adam's flashing pocket. Standing off silently when he moved off to answer it.

"Master?" Adam whispered once her image appeared.

"Adam, whatever you're doing, I need you here; it's very urgent."

"I understand, Master; I will be there in a moment," Adam responded, cutting off his orb before Holly could speak.

"Go, son, I will see that the work in making this place shine is properly supervised," Amanda said with a loving smile on her lips.

******

It only took Adam five minutes to arrive at Holly's door. "Come in, Adam," Holly greeted as she opened her door. There was no mistaking it, not to her eyes; she knew what the feeling of Fae was like and knew what it was like to spend any amount of time in that place. "I wasn't expecting you for a few hours; how did you get here so quickly?" she asked, leading Adam into her home for the past twenty years.

"Was in the noble ring buying a home when you called. What's this about, Master? What's so urgent?" Adam asked in a worried tone.

"As of today, you are the face of the kingdom," Holly stated factually.

"Huh? I don't understand."

"I know you don't, and I will tell you why if you allow me," Holly intone in a playful voice. "The King and Queen have already been informed. While I'm with child," watching his reaction to her words, "you are the Sage, I will still consult the Royal family, the task of the Sage will keep me out of prying eyes I will continue to handle. The more showy tasks, like duels, given how our child needs half my magjols to sustain itself while it's growing, will fall to you, Adam. I know you weren't meant to step into this role just yet; nonetheless, events forced our hands, and we must overcome them."

"Yes, Master, show me what I must do," Adam said, keeping his shock that she was pregnant from his face. Knowing him freaking out wouldn't solve anything, not when he was the sole defender of his kingdom.

"Come, we have much work to do to get you ready for the months ahead."

"Adam," Holly said low as they sat on their couch, enjoying a cup of tea while taking a break from going over the duties he would have to see to when they arose. "I know this is sudden, and I know you're scared. I promise you; I might not be able to fight alongside you for a while, that doesn't mean I've left your side. When it gets too hard, you come and speak to me, alright?"

"Yes, Master, so... baby? What's going to happen once he or she is born?"

"A nanny will watch the child while I'm serving the King or Queen; of course, you're always free to come see our baby," Holly answered as the pad of her finger ran along the rim of her cup. "So, you went to the Fae lands." Watching how Adam almost spit out his tea. "Did you think I wouldn't notice Adam?"

"What no, well, didn't think about it."

"Be careful Adam, their land..."

"I know, Master," Adam cut her off.

"Good, then let's continue," Holly said, getting up from her seat. "It's going to be just fine, Adam, no need to worry," she cooed in a sweet tone as she rubbed his back when he prepared to leave to meet with the King. "This is just a formality, nothing more." Sighing as she got in her parting hug, wishing they had time for a quick tug and poke, yet it was not to be. Waving to him as she shut her door, knowing how this would be so stressful for Adam.

Castle life filled his ears as he walked down those halls. Hearing the voices of those that worked and lived within that grand, stony place. Nodding to the guards as he passed, chuckling with a few when they spoke about the noble who challenged him to a duel. Seeing the noble ladies that were a part of the Queen's inner court clustered around whispering and shooting him glances as he walked past them to the King's private study. Coming to an abrupt halt when a child no more... swallowing hard when it wasn't a child but one of the short stature elves. He knew what the sighting meant; she was watching, she was waiting.

"Ah, Adam, come in, come in!" King Aragon spoke in a happy tone waving Adam in.

"Good morning, sire, you wished to speak to me," Adam greeted in a polite tone.

"Yes, yes, I did, Sage, I did," Aragon mused with an amused grin on his lips. "Before we get to the fun stuff." Adam looked at his king in confusion on what he meant by that. "I must know, are you ready to defend..." Turning when he felt the magjols in the air starting to condense around Adam, noting how his pale blue eyes glowed.

"To my dying breath, sire," Adam said firmly.

"Good, never had a doubt that you wouldn't," Aragon nodded. "Please," gesturing for Adam to join his side, "now Adam, I know you've been helping around here as much as your time allows. Has Holly told you what your responsibilities will be? Good, good," he muttered when Adam nodded. "I have no fear of being attacked in my own home; however, my daughter is hours away, and who knows what is at that school. So at least for the next few months, stick to your school, try to keep your trips out into the wild to a minimum for the time being."

"I understand, sire," Adam nodded.

"Now, the important doings of the day... do you have class?"

"I do sire, in the afternoon, I came into town to close on the Warrenton manor when I got the call from my Master," Adam stated when Aragon looked at him when he silently asked what he was doing there if he had class.

"Oh? You actually bought that place?" Aragon uttered in a bit of shock.

"I did, your highness."

"You will be holding an open house, won't you?" Aragon inquired, keeping his hope from his voice.

"Yes, once the restoration is complete," Adam nodded, scowling in his mind when his mother wasn't lying about that.

"The Queen and I will look forward to that day, come, walk with me," Aragon spoke in a friendly tone as they walked towards the door. A little saddened that they didn't have more time for them to do what they normally did. "You know I hear you and Roselyn have hit it off."

"We have," Adam nodded.

"Good, then you wouldn't be too upset if I asked if when your home is complete, that Roselyn and the rest of us might..."

"My home is always open to you, sire," Adam cut in, knowing the times Roselyn had complained that the castle did get stuffy sometimes with so many people about.