Spellbound Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Did I hear correctly that the Princess and Duchess Wivell will be coming to the party tonight?" Amanda asked with excited eyes.

"Yeah, they did just say that," Adam said, wondering why his mother was so fixated on status.

"Oh my, oh my, we have so much to do," Amanda muttered low, pressing her fingers to her lips. "Come, Jill, we must make sure the house is in order before the guests arrive for this evening."

"Bye, Adam, see you at the party," Jill called out as her mother dragged her along towards their rune-powered car.

******

"Quickly! Quickly! We have important guests coming tonight! The house must look presentable!" Amanda shouted, clapping her hands as she did. Sending Jill off to round up the other staff that wasn't in the kitchen preparing the finger food for the party later in the evening. The first floor had to be spotless; nothing else would be acceptable to her, not for her son, nor the Princess, and all the other nobles that would be paying her home a visit.

"What's all this noise?" Edward bellowed as he thundered down the hall.

"Hello, dear," Amanda greeted from the first floor.

"Amanda, what is this noise all about? Is this really necessary for that boy?" Edward asked in a growl, causing Jr. to slink down the hall but well out of sight of his parents all so he could watch the show.

"You forget your place, Earl, if Sage Bordun visits on any given day of the week, month, year, decade, whenever; he is to be treated as such, my son has earned that right. When was the last duel you won, husband? Edward," softening her tone, "I know you're tired, and I'm very sorry you aren't sleeping very well. Yet, be mindful of your words; Princess Roselyn and Duchess Wivell will be guests of Sage Bordun for this evening. Understand, Edward?" Amanda stated very pointedly while giving Edward the look he knew all too well. Hearing him sigh as he dropped his head. "I am sorry you haven't been sleeping. Yet do you want another moment like what happened at the Warrenton manor to happen in front of the Princess?"

"That bastard?! He planned this; this is how he's going to kill me." Edward's eyes were bloodshot; the days of little or no sleep showed as his grip on the banister tightened. "But I'm smarter; I was born a noble?! There is no way that little damn gutter rat can be a damn Sage! This is just some goddamn dream; it has to be?!" Edward roared, his hands slamming down on the railing. "I'm dream..." The moment Edward brought his head up, insane light flared in his eyes for a brief moment before his world went dark.

"Jr., I know you're there, always lurking just out of the splash zone, spoilsport," Amanda said in a loving tone.

"Can you blame me; Dad's rants are amusing. Although, I've never seen him this deranged," Jr. said, walking out in the open. "What did you do to him?"

"I bought a sleeping spell, I was going to use it tonight after the party so your father could finally get some sleep for a change, yet he went and popped the cork early... as usual," Amanda sighed aloud, causing Jr. to whip his head around. "Junior, would you be a dear and take that to its room? I don't know what's gotten into him lately."

"Sure, Mom," Edward Jr. said with a simple flick of two fingers, levitating his father off the floor.

"Very impressive, Jr. without an incantation to boot, very impressive," seeing the joy in his eyes at her praise, "when you put your father up, why don't you come down and help your sister and me to make sure the first floor is ready to receive guests," Amanda said, smiling sweetly up at her son.

"Sure, Mom, I'll be right down," Jr. said; he would always help his mother and his grandparents, willingly seeing how they were always supporting him. "Pathetic," he sneered as he dropped his snoring, unconscious father onto his bed. "Okay, where do you need me?" Jr. asked as his feet drummed on the stairs.

"Hi, honey, glad you came down. Would you mind keeping an eye on the work in the upper three rooms? We have to get this right. Edward," Edward's hairs stood on end at the sound of his given name, "I know you don't get along with your brother, and I know Adam feels the same. This will be good for you, too; while Adam may know how to play the game of court life, he doesn't capitalize on his influence. So if he won't, why not pick up the slack, and use it to propel this house to the heights of Dukedom. Don't give me that look, young man," Amanda said in a playful motherly tone. "I'll have you know I spoke to the Queen and Princess Roselyn just the other day," nodding her head at her son's 'you're shitting me look', "just came from the Warrenton manor where Sage Harthorne, Princess Roselyn, your sister, and Duchess Wivell in this little private party that Adam put together yesterday when they were leading him to his room. So, it is possible for us to get there," she said in firm determination. "Jill is even friends with Duchess Wivell."

"No way?!" Jr. muttered in disbelief.

"Jill, honey?!" Amanda called out.

"Yeah, Mom?" Jill replied, her voice gaining volume as she neared.

"Tell your disbelieving brother, who we just had coffee with," Amanda directed, turning towards her daughter's approaching voice, and gestured at Edward Jr.

"Oh, Selene, the Princess, and Sage Harthorne," Jill answered as she stepped into the room.

"Where the f... have I been?!" Jr. uttered in astonishment.

"Taking care of that girlfriend of yours is where," Amanda teased, flashing her son a loving smile. "So, how is that going between the two of you?"

"It's going... okay, it's great, at least I think so," Jr. stated with a boyish grin.

"Has it gotten that serious?" Amanda asked, with a curious look in her eye.

"We've talked about it," Jr. muttered, very red-faced at his mother's and sister's surprised expressions.

"Should I write her mother a marriage proposal on your behalf?" A sense of motherly pride washed over her as Edward Jr. nodded. "My boy is all grown up," Amanda cooed, brushing her thumb along her son's left cheek. "If she's to be your wife, then she should be on the ground floor of our ascent, so invite her to the party."

"You sure? What about..."

"Your Dad will be out for hours," waving him off, "invite her baby; I might be Adam's mother, but I am Countess Mortanhouse first and foremost," Amanda said, waving him on.

Amanda was checking the grandmother clock on the time as the nobles they had invited mingled around her home nibbling on the delights her chefs made for the party. Stopping in her trek to the kitchen as their loud door chime rang out a hair past eight, stilling all those in attendance. Amanda moved quickly to greet the visitors, hoping that it was her son.

"I present Sage Bordun with his guests Princess Roselyn and Duchess Wivell." Her eyes lit up, knowing how talk of this night would spread. Weaving through the bodies, hearing her daughter's 'You made it!' in the air.

"Pardon me, my lord, may I," Amanda whispered as she tapped the man on the shoulder who was standing in her way. Her eyes falling onto her son as his calculating eyes stared at her as she parted the crowd.

"Mother."

"Hello, Adam, I'm pleased to see that you brought guests. Greetings, your highness, Duchess Wivell; I hope this night finds you well. I have a special treat for your pleasure this evening; you seem to be wanting a little bit more than what you had this afternoon at the Warrenton manor. It's a mother thing. So, I had my son here," gesturing to Edward Jr., "visit Sweet Delights for those strawberry puffs you like," Amanda said, raising her hands over her head and loudly clapping thrice. Watching how those eyes of theirs were fixated on those treats like starving predators as her chef wheeled them out like she told him to. Smiling at her son, when Roselyn and Selene gobbled three each on the man's path to the next room. Who, as you can guess, was quickly followed by Roselyn and Selene, as well as a very reluctant Adam.

******

Edward awoke still feeling in that waking dream that just won't go away. His eyes fluttered. That damn sound?! Must he constantly flip that coin repeatedly! How he hated that sound. Hated the man it belonged to even more. For the simple fact, Jason Bordun got the better of him. He is a noble; Jason was nothing more than a common rat; he should be thanking him for taking his wife from him. His eyes darted to and fro in his sleep, and still, that flipping continues.

"Knock it off, Jason?!" Edward shouted as he rolled over to go back to sleep.

"Jason? You mean the man you had murdered? That Jason, the man that was my father?" Edward's body stilled, then shot to the headboard at the sight of Adam sitting in that same chair. "Is that the Jason you mean?" His eyes went wide when Adam held up the coin. "Tick-tock, little noble, I told you rats are omnivores, and I'm about done with my meal. I only have one final thing left to do; it is to kill you..." Edward's pillow flew through Adam's image and struck the back of the chair before falling to the seat. "Adam! I know you're behind this!" Edward screamed out, yet the crowd below drowned him out. Looking at the dagger he normally carried when he went to do business. He was going to make Adam claim he was the better man, even if Adam died doing it.

******

"Adam!" Edward roared as he stalked his house for his prey. "Where are you, you common bastard. You think you're so big and bad now, huh! Huh! Where are you, you smarmy toad! I know who killed your dear o' pa? Do ya want to know?! There you are," he sneered as the crowd parted. Finding Adam right where he first arrived, hovering where the Princess was.

"Actually yes, go on, enlighten all of us, please, you've made a fine display of yourself so far, why not continue, please, I'm begging you, shoo," Adam waved the man on.

"I'll tell you who, you no named, no House, trash. Who's not worthy of having his shoes licked clean..."

"Yet, then why did you do that very thing at Blodselts, in front of all the new enrollees, no less. A rather strange thing to do if you ask me, little noble," Adam mused, noting how the gathered crowd involuntarily took a step backwards as his eyes glared murderously at Edward.

"It was disgusting," Selene agreed. "You just dropped down without a hint of hesitation..." Adam grinned madly inwardly, knowing his plan was working a little too quickly; still, soon, Edward would be dead. Looking down at his robe, he had no fear of Edward. He had already set wards around him that could fend off anything Edward could throw at him, magical and physical. So when Edward marched up and took hold of it, Adam paid the man no mind.

"I killed that rat, just like I'm going to do to you... What?! What?! This can't be happening to me; I'm Earl Edward Mo..." Were Edward's last words before being sucked ass end first into a black hole. Adam just stared at Roselyn oddly; he hadn't foreseen her intervention.

"I'm sorry, Countess Mortanhouse, yet your husband just tried to murder the next Sage, which is a treasonous act punishable by death, again, I'm terribly sorry that I had to be the one to do that," Roselyn said somberly as Amanda stared on in stunned shock at what she had just seen.

"Dad! Dad!" Jill cried out. "Dad!"

"Come on, Jill, you're not helping the situation at the moment," Carlie said as she led Jill off to her room.

"Mom?!" Jr. whispered, taking hold of her shoulders.

"Your..." Amanda's shaking hand weakly pointed at the place where Edward once stood.

"I know, Mom," looking back at Adam, if he hadn't seen it for himself, he would have said Adam was the one that killed him, "I know," Edward said in a reassuring tone.

"Maybe..." Roselyn's words stilled as Amanda rushed past her.. Finding the way Adam was standing rather odd as his mother hugged him.

"I'm fine, mother. I'm fine, Mom!" Adam raised his voice as her fidgeting over him grew annoying.

"I'm sorry, honey, but that's twice in a day I nearly lost you," Amanda stuttered as her lip trembled.

"See, I'm fine, nothing to worry about," Adam said, gesturing to his robe that remained unmarred.

"On behalf of my House, I, Edward Mortanhouse II, pledge to...'

"No need for that," Roselyn spoke in a warm tone as she stared down at Adam's kneeling brother. "Your father's crime was his own, not his House's. So please rise, Sage Bordun, walk me to the door," Roselyn directed as she peered over at him.

The moment Adam saw that look in her eye, he knew she was bailing on him. "Dirty sneaks?!" Adam grumbled in his mind. He, too, would have taken that out, yet it appeared he was stuck there. At least until the last person left, then he would find some way to sneak away. Looking up at the window where Jill's bedroom was once he saw Roselyn and Selene off. Hearing her wailings through the glass, also hearing Skyler's and Ryann's voices comforting his sister. He knew this was going to happen when he put this plan into place. That was why he was going to allow the state to kill Edward for him; instead of doing it himself as much as he would thoroughly enjoy killing the man, he knew if he did that, Jill would hate him. Sighing, she probably will regardless, since it wasn't a secret with her that he wanted the man dead. Standing off to the side as nobles filed out of his mother's home. There wasn't much he could say as the nobles mumbled their parting words to him; Edward did blatantly try to kill him, with dozens of witnesses to attest to that, so all he could do was nod and keep his mouth shut. Looking on as his mother cried in Junior's arms, then up the stairs, he might not like the two of them all that much; he did, however, like his sister. So up he went.

"Jill, it's me," Adam said through the door as he lightly knocked on it.

"Go away! I hate you!" Jill screamed when she thrusted the door open. "Dad's dead because of you! Why didn't you just die during the duel?!" Adam was rather at a loss for words when Jill slammed her bedroom door in his face. Sighing, shrugging his shoulders, turning about, and headed for the stairs. If she didn't want to speak to him, then he no longer had a reason to stay there.

"Adam?!" Skyler's voice filled the hallway when she quickly slipped out the door. "Jill didn't mean that; I'm sure once she's calmed down some, she's going to feel so ashamed of what she said to you," she said, noting how he was staring at her with those pale blue eyes of his. Then she noted how his features softened a little; she knew he knew the pain Jill was feeling at that moment.

"Tell her I'm sorry, I won't bother her anymore," Adam said, hoping that cutting ties with her would help her grieve without his constant presence around. Skyler began to open her mouth, her hand reached out to him, yet Adam had already started his descent.

"I'm leaving," Adam said coldly as he stared down at his mother and half-brother, who sat on the couch consoling his mother.

"Have a heart, man," Jr. stated.

"Like you did when your father murdered my own?" Adam shot back, causing Edward Jr. to snap his jaw closed.

"Where... will... you... go?" Amanda asked through sobs.

"Home." Was Adam's only answer.

"Warrenton manor?" Amanda inquired as she dried her eyes.

"That's not my home; that's just someplace I have to stay," Adam said before turning towards the front door of his mother's home.

"Adam!" Amanda cried out, catching her son about to take off with his broom in hand. Seeing how those blue eyes had an emptiness to them as they stared at her. Wondering now that his vengeance had been wrought that it didn't give him the closure he needed to put his father's death behind him. "Be safe. Watch out for storms." Hanging her head when Adam bolted to the sky, her curtain of raven hair hid her grin from the world. Now that Edward was gone, she no longer had a reason to sneak around to get the fucking she needed from her son. Also, the fact that she was now officially the head of the House, and she planned to take it to heights that Edward never dreamed of; however, first, she had to do damage control in the morning. She had to distance her house from Edward's actions so they wouldn't taint the noble's view of her house.

"Come on, Mom, I'll have Jess make you a cup of tea," Edward Jr. said in a caring tone as he guided his mother out the door. Pushing it closed by the heel of his foot.

Chapter Seven

Saturday afternoon....

"Adam, what's wrong?" Elenore asked, finding her grandson alone out in the small garden they were able to start since arriving.

"Edward's dead." Elenore's heart stilled, fearing that he did the unthinkable. "I didn't kill him, yet why don't I feel better?" he asked, turning to his grandmother, looking for answers.

"Oh, honey?!" Elenore cried softly, rushing to him, throwing her arms around him, wrapping him in her warm embrace. Rocking him like she's always done, cooing to him as she rubbed his back.

"Dad's murderer is dead, yet why don't I feel happy?" Adam asked, so confused by what he was experiencing at that moment.

"Because for the past fourteen years, all you had was hate, I know you love us, that's easy to see, yet in here, hate had its own home," Elenore said, patting his heart as she gazed up at her grandson. "In there, you surrounded yourself by it. Always looking to get one over on Edward, always some ploy to make the man look bad. And now, that focus of your hate is no more, and you're left with an empty hole you don't know how to fill. It's time to let go of it, son. It's time to move on from the past. Jason will never come back, nor would he want to see you like this, torn up over a man that doesn't deserve a second thought. Now you have to figure out how to go on without that hate to fuel you."

"Tell Papa I'm sorry," Adam said before taking off and leaving his rather stunned grandmother behind.

******

Sunday morning...

Adam sighed as he sat on his broom high above the heart of the desert. Looking aimlessly out onto that vast sea of sand. Remembering the tales the Fae told of the civilization that once thrived on the continent before the Fae wiped them out for their crimes against their kind. Wondering what he was going to do now that Edward was gone. Adam never thought about life afterwards. All he thought about was making the man pay for his crimes. He thought he had months or years to push Edward to the tipping point, not weeks. Sighing once again, pushing him up onto his broom, figuring he might as well do what he had come for and be gone, to where he couldn't say. He was so lost.

"Pah tel ka," Adam said without any emotion to his spell as he directed it down towards the ground. Moving his broom out of the way as the water came gushing out of the ground. Eating away at the sand as it spread out to encompass the land. "Te ch tul ger," he chanted in Fae, bringing life back to that once desolate land. Adam just watched uncaring, unmoving as a carpet of green rushed around the perimeter of that now small lake. His eyes flickered down; his broom drifted towards the center. He knew she would come. This was her part of their bargain, after all.

Noticing how only her toes lightly kissed the surface of the water. How her translucent butterfly wings flapped ever so slowly. The shower of dust that trailed after them sinking beneath the surface as their magic infused the water. Her blue dress, sewn from the leaves of the mythical Tree of Yggdrasil, her equally blue hair floated aimlessly in the air. Adam was glad that she appeared in her Queen Mab form instead of Titania. He never wanted to see that Fairy Queen again due to her sheer ruthlessness and iron grip on her kingdom.

"You have fulfilled your side of our deal; I release you from your oath," Queen Mab spoke in a musical melody. "You may leave if you like," she said, never once peering at him as she watched her people to solidify their anchor in the human world. "Adam Bordun of the human world," Mab spoke in a commanding tone stopping Adam's withdrawal from the area. "You may return to my lands if you so wish it." With that, Mab turned back to her task, forgetting all about Adam. Bringing her arms up, beginning the day's long chant of restoring the Spring Font.