All Comments on 'Spillane, Me, & The Trans Swede'

by erectus123

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A great story. Please give us more. I can't wait till next year to hear a new one.

Stacy Keach

njlaurennjlauren10 months ago

A fun story in the style. A couple of points, in 1964 they wouldn't use the term tranny, that came much later. Also, trans prostitutes being on the street was much later as well, wouldn't be in those places in 1964, didn't exist (in later times they would be called "knobbers"). If they went downtown from Weehawken to Hoboken on garden street, Washington would be a left turn, not a right. Garden is 2 blocks west of Washington.

njlaurennjlauren10 months ago

Couple of other comments on anachronisms in the story. The roommate says she is waiting for a landline to be installed. In 1964, they wouldn't use that term, since there weren't any mobile phones to speak of. Also, she mentions eating at a vegan restaurant, that term came about decades later, prob would have used vegetarian restaurant.

erectus123erectus12310 months agoAuthor

hey Njlauren, I don't know how old you are but I lived through that period. Tranny was used mostly with love. As for landline, the term was used to differentiate the cabin phone from the home but shoot me. The dictionary defines it this way "a conventional telecommunications connection by cable laid across land, typically either on poles or buried underground. So I think that is ok. As for directions on Washington street who gives a fuck, maybe they stopped for a gas station first. AND HAD TO TURN ARROUND. Are you a fact checker for the FBI or for the KGB? Yes, I know they now call it the GRU. Thanks for your couple of points. In the future, I'll send a prepub copy to you to fact-check. thanks, comrade. Veganism—a term first coined in 1944 by British woodworker Donald Watson should pass the mustard or the soy sauce.

I never heard of knobbers, although robbers were common. Try googling knobbers, it don't exit, except related to deer or bald gangs. Anyway, thanks for you detailed corrections.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Just to get your panties in a knot, in 1964 the West Side Highway didn't exist. Construction started in 1996.

WhitewaterbumWhitewaterbum9 months ago

You captured the sense of the period. Like the note about the start of the World Trade Center. I always thought that Robert Parker ( Spenser) and Mickey S. Would have made a great writing team. Thanks for great story.

erectus123erectus1239 months agoAuthor

Dear Anon re west side highway -you are totally in error, On December 15, 1973, the northbound lanes between Little West 12th Street and Gansevoort Street collapsed under the weight of a dump truck, which was carrying over 60,000 pounds (27,000 kg) of asphalt for ongoing repairs of the highway.Construction on the final section of the westside highway originally planned highway, from 46th Street to 59th Street, was begun on February 13, 1936. It was opened to traffic thereafter. A new Westside highway was started recently. Maybe you'd like to suck on my panties knot?

erectus123erectus1239 months agoAuthor

Thanks Whitewaterbum, I agree!

erectus123erectus1239 months agoAuthor

Transsexuality is recorded from 1941, but was used at first to mean "homosexuality" or "bisexuality" and the shortened firm tranny is so derived.

erectus123erectus1239 months agoAuthor

"Hoboken. I took a right turn off Garden Street and stopped at Washington Street in front of a five-story walkup."

If you check google maps you will find my abbreviated directions are accurate. Garden , then right turn 15th to Washington is correct. Mr. Fuck Checker, I mean fat checker, (sorry for my studdering) I mean fact checker you are I error once more. I'm not, not that I care but you make me look foolish when it turns out you are the fool.

erectus123erectus1239 months agoAuthor

Dear njlauren, thinking about how far back 'tranny' was used, I'm sure it was used when I was in high school a long fucking time ago, but a polite term used in the media was Queens or a Queen and this was in the 1950-60's when 6th avenue was called Queen's Blvd. due to the preponderance of trannies working the area. I'll continue trying to get a quote from way back when. In checked you geography- you were wrong there. butt who cares.Enjoy every butt you cum across nj.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usererectus123@erectus123
 Personal Bio Notes: I was born in Belfast, passing through my dear mother's loins, and that is where I find most comfort, passing through with other women, not my mother. I survived through the years of Irish troubles and immigrated to the USA after various family tragedies...