Spirits in the Material World Pt. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She retrieved the dimensions she had taken of the rooms in the apartment and tried to draw the apartment's layout. Then she tried again, this time with graph paper. After 30 minutes of frustration, she threw her hands up and loudly declared, "I give up!". Julie then got on the phone with Tom. But the connection was different, echoey.

"Tom, why do you sound different today?"

"'Cause I'm in my Jeep, driving around with David, and you're on handsfree. Say 'Hi' to Julie, David."

Simultaneously, David and Julie responded with, "'Hi' to Julie, David."

"You're right, Jules. There's a horrible echo with this. Maybe it'll get better over time with more use."

"Yeah, I wouldn't count on that, bro'," smirked David.

Ignoring David for the moment, Tom picked up the conversation. "So, Jules, what can I do for you?"

"Well, I've got most of my stuff packed up for transport to Middleburg, and I started thinking about everything we're gonna need in and for the apartment."

"That sounds exhausting, sweetie. Perhaps this might be a topic better suited for discussion later and with your mom and my dad included?"

"That's probably a good idea, Tommy. My frustration level is way too high right now to be coherent. Maybe I'll just put this all away and have a good nap. But we're talking tonight, buster!"

"Yes'm, Miss Julie. I'll be right on time with my telephone call tonight. Talk with you later, 'k?"

"I love you, Tom. Be safe. Oh, I love you, too, David, just not quite as much as I love Tom. Bye."

After Julie had disconnected, David's right hand covered his heart and he declared, "Ouch! Slain by the truth!" Tom laughed at David's dramatics, and they continued with their re-bonding.

= = =

Monday evening, after everyone had had supper, Alan decided that he could not wait to see Rose's lovely face and he organized a Zoom call. The four in Middleburg gathered in the media room while the two in Centreville shared the laptop on Rose's bed.

"It's wonderful to see your faces," Alan began, "even though we must be a little circumspect with our language." He cast a knowing look at Tom who flushed slightly.

"And it's great to see all of yours as well," Rose chimed in. "Mags, are you ready to start your work for Mr. and Mrs. Johnson tomorrow?"

"Yes, Mom, I'm all ready. I have my outfit chosen, and David will take me there and pick me up tomorrow. We will have to see what the rest of the week brings about getting me there and back."

"David, that's not too much of a burden on you, is it?" Rose inquired.

"No, ma'am, I have a shift at the city pool from 10 to 4 tomorrow, so it all works out pretty well."

"Oh, are you a 'pool boy' for the retired ladies' enjoyment? Or do the pumps need to be greased?" Julie teased.

David's posture stiffened and everybody noticed it, Maggie especially. Teasing or not, he got angry. He counted to ten as Laura had taught him and that allowed him to choose a moderated approach. He responded, "No, Julie, I'm taking a shift as the Senior Lifeguard tomorrow so the regular guy can have the day off. I've been lifeguarding at the city pools for a few years now, and they were very pleased when I called them this morning." Moderated approach notwithstanding, there was a definite edge to his response.

"Yeah, and he's actually had to save some lives, too!" Maggie interjected.

Julie sat back and looked abashed at her assumption. Aside from being Tom's younger brother and a very good artist, she had very little experience or reference for David's abilities, and it showed through this time.

Tom raised a new point. "Jules, you were having some troubles this afternoon with stuff for the apartment, right?"

"Well, I have the first pass at a list, by room, and I'm sure that experienced persons could offer edits and additions to this list. I got kinda bound up with trying to draw out a scaled layout even though I have the measurements recorded," she answered.

"Please send a message or file with the measurements and we can see about drawing out a layout diagram. Share your list with your mom and us and we can use that as a starting point. I don't intend to just set you two off and wish you good luck! That would not be proper parenting, in my opinion," Alan added. "Just to set the record and schedule straight, you two WILL be coming down on Wednesday after Rose is released from her job, right?"

"Yes, Alan," Rose answered, softly, eyes demurely lowered, a smile tugging on her lips.

"Of course, Alan," Julie said. "Although I would not object to having some help with the transportation of what we can get boxed up," she added, winking at Tom.

"I think a satisfactory solution can be devised," Tom responded. "Are we done here now? I've got a personal telephone call to make." He bounced his eyebrows at his girlfriend.

"Yeah, Tom, I can second that emotion," Rose smirked, bouncing her eyebrows at Alan.

"C'mon, Davey, let's leave these people to their VIRTUAL time together," Maggie declared, rising to her feet. "I love you, mom, Jules. I need some time with MY 'pool boy'."

"Love you too, baby," Rose replied.

"I love you both, too," said David, "Just not quite as much as I love Maggie. Good night!" And David rose, taking Maggie's hand, and they mounted the stairs to his room where more mounting was going to occur, and everyone knew it.

A fit of laughter filled the media room from Alan and Tom. Julie looked a bit stunned at David's rejoinder, and Rose just looked puzzled. Tom had to explain that Julie had started it by saying she loved David, too, just not as much as she loved Tom. David had paid her back in full, with interest. Alan and Tom were not surprised by this, knowing how David was just as quick-witted and intelligent as Tom. But Rose and Julie got a good serving of "Don't leave yourself open, especially to David".

"Calling you in 15, Alan," Rose finally managed to get out.

"Very good, Rose. Be sure to send that information, Julie, once you apply some aloe to that burn," Alan stated. "If we're done here, we'll be talking soon. Love to you both." Seeing nods on the screen, Alan disconnected the meeting and turned to Tom.

"I'm beginning to sense something unhealthy between Julie and David. What's your take on this?" Alan asked Tom.

"I was insulted for David's sake by her 'pool boy' comment. The other part was payback for this afternoon. I'll talk with her. She may have some fence-mending to do with him, though."

"Ok, I'll leave it in your hands. Any animosity cannot persist, though. I'll try to talk with David in the morning," Alan amended. "Let's go talk to our ladies."

= = =

"Julia Ann Lawson, what the FUCK are you doing?" screeched Rose. "Are you TRYING to sabotage this wonderful thing going on for all of us?"

Julie was in tears, first at the snark back from David and the 'virtual' snipe from Maggie, and then at her mother's explosion. The reality of the consequences of her loose tongue was coming down, hard, all around her and from nearly every direction, and she was not dealing well with it all. She could not answer Rose's demand. Instead, she staggered to the sofa and curled up in a fetal ball, still crying and holding herself and rocking.

Rose was quickly beside her daughter, cuddling her, soothing her, stroking her hair. Julie's tears and sobs continued for about five minutes before they started to abate.

"God, Mom, why did I say those mean things to David?" she asked, somewhat rhetorically.

"I have no idea, Julie. Are you jealous of Maggie? Would you rather have chosen David over Tom?"

"No, no, no. I adore Tom! He's the rational side of me. I don't know, Mom. I'm just all mixed up, especially now. It feels like the whole world is against me, like everywhere is uphill." She knew she wasn't explaining things well, but she was trying her best. And then her phone sounded with Tom's ringtone.

"Mother, can you get that please and get me a little breathing time? He's going to get all up in my stuff and I'm not ready for that."

"Julie's phone, this is Rose. Oh, hello Tom. She will be ok; she's just had a bit of a self-induced meltdown. Can she please call you back a little bit later? Good. Yes, yes, I know. I love you, too, Tom."

"Come on, Julia. Let's get you lying down on your bed and resting. You need to call Tom tonight, though." Rose led her eldest down the hall and guided her to her bed and placed her phone on the nightstand. She kissed Julie on the forehead and then returned to the dining area to pick up where they had left off.

Rose shut down the laptop and set up the coffee maker for the morning. She then made sure she had her phone and headed to her boudoir after being sure the door was locked, and the lights were out. She expected a bit of an uncomfortable discussion with her intended, and she had to initiate the call.

= = =

David closed the door to his bedroom. Still facing the door, he let out a small sigh, then turned to the goddess awaiting him. Maggie tried to study his face but wasn't making much headway. She had very little experience with this touchy-feely shit. She stepped to him and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him gently. He didn't want to, intellectually, but his body took over and he earnestly returned her kisses. A couple of times he paused for a moment, but Maggie was prepared for that.

"Ssshhh. Let it go. Be here with me, now," she whispered. "Cause all of me loves all of you, love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections, give your all to me, I'll give my all to you," she sang.

David nearly melted into Maggie's embrace.

"You were so restrained tonight with Julie. I'm sure she meant nothing by what she said. She had no idea she might be pushing a hot button of yours. I don't even know what set you off. Can you please explain it to me?"

David guided them from standing to laying side by side, face to face on his bed. He began to explain.

"The swimsuit I'm obliged to wear is not quite a Speedo, but not too far removed from it either. It's red with a big white cross on the side and it does not hide ANYTHING. I have felt like the older ladies who do their aquacise classes often look at me like they would a pool boy. And all I can do is smile and do my best to keep them safe. Julie's words were just the perfect storm tonight at exactly the wrong time. She jumped to a conclusion that was not warranted rather than wait to see if the discussion clarified anything." David's anger was starting up again.

Maggie stroked his cheek and his hair, trying to soothe him.

"Ssshhh, my love. Let it go, please. I'm sure she didn't mean anything. She was just trying to tease you a little."

She then kissed him and kissed him again. Soon she had him both distracted and very interested in congress with her person, and that was all right with her. She liked his hands on her, anywhere. She was his to do with as he pleased. As long as he got her up in time in the morning.

= = =

Rose pressed speed dial # 1 and held her breath. Alan answered on the first ring.

"I love you, Rose," he preempted whatever she was going to start with.

"But..." she added.

"No buts about it. I know you're worried. I won't tell you that you shouldn't be. So, hear me out first, please. I'm leaving this in their hands; Tom, Julie, David, and Maggie. You and I are unaffected. Do you hear what I'm saying? We. Are. Unaffected!"

"Yes, Alan, we are unaffected," she repeated, softly.

"That's good, my love. I miss having you in my arms. I had tried to distance myself after Laura died. And I thought I'd done a good job of that. And then you come along, waltzing in my front door on Thanksgiving Day, and now I can't stop giving my thanks to God every day for you."

Rose was quite relieved to hear these words from Alan's lips. Her body relaxed, releasing tension she was unaware she had been holding onto. Her exhale of relief was audible to Alan, who chuckled a little.

"Now, my love, would you care to relieve even more tension?" he asked, quite suggestively.

"Oh, Alan, yes, yes!"

= = =

Tom tried repeatedly to get Julie to call him by sending texts to her phone. He had heard Rose's words about Julie's self-induced meltdown, and he rightly conjectured that she was sleeping it off. Perhaps a lack of restful sleep had been a contributing factor to her upset. He opted to wait until either she called him, or the sun came up. He tried to sleep but the emptiness in his bed kept him from resting. He did know of one way to go to sleep, so he took matters into his own hands and did his best to envision and recall some memorable times they had had together. It didn't take too very long, and with his tension relieved, Tom was able finally to get some sleep and rest.

= = =

Tuesday, December 22

David's alarm seemed to insinuate into the room's occupants' consciousness, eventually interrupting their early morning snuggling, cuddling, canoodling, and protected coitus. As was becoming their custom, Maggie was astride David, this time in a reverse cowgirl position. This was due to the mutual orally pleasing session immediately preceding the penetrative intercourse. So, the alarm sounded at 7:30 and Maggie was unwilling to do anything about it. David, by his positioning on the bed, was unable to silence the alarm which had begun at a respectful decibel level. As the seconds passed and the alarm was not addressed, the volume increased as did its annoyance factor.

But it gave such a great rhythm beat with its beeps that Maggie just increased her tempo to match. Ultimately their morning delight in each other achieved its objective for them both, and Maggie finally swatted the snooze button to give them nine minutes of bliss-filled peace.

Maggie removed the condom and deposited it in the trashcan after she had sucked it inside out for her cummy prize. She then cleaned David's deflating cock as best she could, ending with a big smile and an equally broad licking of her lips.

With a surprising display of energy, Maggie hopped off the bed and headed for the bathroom. As she exited the bedroom, she looked back at her reposing boyfriend/lover and declared that a mug of coffee and some breakfast would not go unappreciated once she finished with her shower. Then with a saucy wiggle of her ass, she was gone.

Processing her request, David turned off the alarm on the clock, put on some shorts and a clean t-shirt, and set about fulfilling his girlfriend's / lover's wishes. He got the coffee brewed and toasted the last two bagels in the house. He had just reached the top of the stairs carrying the tray with four cups of coffee (one polluted one) and the four toasted bagel halves when the water stopped in the hall bath shower. Cautiously, David cracked the door open and placed the coffee mug with creamer and a small plate with two bagel halves on the counter, then closed the door again.

Tom and Alan were each roused by a knock on their bedroom doors and the offer of "coffee!" by David. It was now 8:00 and the offerings of the Draught of Alertness were most appreciated. David took a quick shower to leave some hot water for the others, then he let Tom know the facilities were available.

Maggie had dressed in her chosen outfit and to David's eye, she looked very professional. He did have to remind her to take her birth control pill again, and her hands flew to her face, again, in dismay at her absentmindedness. Thank goodness for her "pill buddy" who filled her pussy so deliciously.

By 8:30, David was ready to get Maggie to work, but there had to be one more delay as she had not made a lunch to take. So, five minutes later, amid the wishes for a good first day on the job, David and Maggie set out for downtown Middleburg.

Arriving at the store, they were early as David had intended. Looking over at Maggie, he could see she was a little nervous. Holding out his right hand for her to place her left in it, David assured her that Mr. Johnson was a great person, and he would be very understanding of her learning curve. Making sure she had her phone in her purse and her lunch in her other hand, he kissed her, gently, and wished her a wonderful day. He'd be back between 4:20 and 4:30 to pick her up, unless she called or texted him otherwise. And she stepped out of the Jeep and strode to the front door where Jack Johnson was unlocking it.

"Good morning, Mr. Johnson," Maggie chirped, nervously.

"And a good morning to you, Ms. Lawson," Jack replied. "You are very punctual. I'm very glad to see that! Please do come inside and we'll get things rolling."

Maggie noticed the electronic chime as she entered the store. Jack turned the sign on the door around so that 'OPEN' faced the street, then he led the way to the display cases at the rear of the main room of the store. The door chime sounded again, and Maggie turned to see a girl, slightly older than herself, enter and greet the owner with, "Good morning, Mr. Johnson!" The new person then stopped and said, "Oh! Is Mr. Johnson assisting you?"

Maggie answered, "Actually, I believe I am assisting him and Mrs. Johnson. Today is my first day as their employee."

Jack made the introductions. "Alice, this is Maggie Lawson, our newest salesperson. Maggie, this is Alice Mason, soon to be Phillips as she is getting married soon and moving away to live with her husband. This is why Maeve and I have hired you. Alice, please be kind to Maggie, and Maggie, learn all you can this week. I'll leave you two to become acquainted with each other. I must go to the other store for a couple of hours. Alice, you have the conn."

The morning passed quickly for Maggie as Alice began showing her the ins and outs of jewelry and jeweler sales. They made a name badge for Maggie which read "Margaret" because it sounded much more mature and respectable than "Maggie" or "Magpie".

Jack returned at noon and instructed Alice to go take her lunch break. Maggie would have hers once Alice was done. After Alice had stepped out, Jack turned to Maggie.

"So, how has your first morning been?"

"Pretty good, Mr. Johnson. Alice has been very friendly and helpful, and I was even able to help a customer while Alice was busy with another couple. That felt very nice, to be able to help someone on my first day."

"That's splendid! But why was the morning not better than 'pretty good'?"

Maggie paused to collect her thoughts for a few seconds then answered, "I should have worn more comfortable shoes. I was unaware of how much I would be on my feet. I'll choose better ones tomorrow. Also, there are a lot of terms and acronyms for me to learn. I'll have to bring a pad and take notes and study them outside of working hours."

"Tell you what, Margaret," Jack said, eyeing her nametag and noting the small scowl on her face. He pointed to her nametag and her expression quickly faded away. "Let me make a phone call or two and see what I can do about some of your problems." Jack then retired to his office and closed the door to make his calls. By the time he emerged, Alice had returned from eating her lunch and it was now Maggie's time.

She had brought her lunch, a couple of sandwiches, some chips in a resealable bag, and a can of Diet Dew, so she sat at a table back in the storeroom area, the designated lunch area.

At 1 pm, the store's door opened, and in walked Maeve, Alan, and Tom. Alice's face brightened then clouded over with sympathetic pain as Tom's injuries were still somewhat visible. Maeve was carrying some nice wedge sandals, conveniently in Maggie's size, which were quickly exchanged for the stylish yet somewhat uncomfortable boots. Tom quietly told Alice about his accident due to the other, distracted driver, while Alan chatted with Jack.

When the footwear exchange was completed, Alan gave Jack a nod. Jack went to the back, to the vault, while Alan called everyone over to his position in front of a display case. Jack came out carrying two small, gray boxes and set them on the counter. Smiles started to appear on faces except for Maggie who had no idea what was coming.