Spirits in the Material World Pt. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Davey, you surprise me sometimes."

"Oh? How so?"

"By letting them go and we do the cleanup."

"Well, they've been apart for a few nights and we haven't. Besides, that just makes the anticipation for us all the sweeter."

"I do like where your mind is at, David Michael. Come on, let's get this taken care of so you can take care of me."

= = =

Thursday, December 24

David's alarm clock shifted from 7:29 to 7:30, but all that came out was a raucous 'beep-beep-beep'. His was not a clock radio like Alan's. Reaching over, David silenced the alarm and pulled on a t-shirt and shorts as his bedmate preferred him to sleep naked like her. He nudged Maggie who let out a soft groan and an "I don't wanna go to work" plaint.

He got himself up and headed downstairs to start the critical morning brew. He checked the refrigerator and there was the French Vanilla creamer that Julie had brought with her and the Amaretto-flavored creamer Maggie had requested on Wednesday. He paused for a moment to consider how their lives were changing with the addition of these three women. He quickly decided the changes were for the better, and he set about his tasks with a smile. He configured three mugs with creamer and three without. He even made some toast to tide people over until they could get a better breakfast. He got out the carry tray and set the small plates and the mugs on it; it was a tight fit, but everything made it if he stacked the plates and the toast.

Carrying his load up the stairs, he first went to service her ladyship, his girlfriend. After all, she had easy access to his naked genitals, and he wasn't stupid. Teasing her with the aroma of the Amaretto coffee, he got a single, draconic eye open and a slow smile crossing her face. He kissed her forehead and left her coffee and toast on the nightstand.

David then made a room service call at his dad's door. Rose opened it while drying her hair and gratefully accepted the two mugs offered. A quick, soft kiss to his cheek dismissed him, and she closed the door quietly. His head was swimming with the scent Rose imparted. Shaking it off, he went over to his brother's door and rapped on it.

"Come in, if you dare," teased Julie. Not one to back down from such a challenge, David balanced the tray on his hand and opened the door. Tom and Julie were still in bed, covers down to his navel but up above her breasts. "Yes, we're naked under these sheets, David. Does that bother you?" she teased.

"Nope. Underneath all my clothes, I'm naked too. But here's your coffee and your toast. Busy day today. Oh, Tom, Maggie asks if you would please come with me for my interview with Lisa Adams at 10:00. Can you make it?"

Tom had to consult with his schedule coordinator but allowed as they both could be free to come along with him to keep Maggie happy. David then left, closing the door behind him.

= = =

Maggie remembered to take her birth control pill on her own, finally. Perhaps that was due to all the wild rumpus going on in the house the previous evening. It's much easier to have sex with the one you care for when everyone else in the house is having sex as well. Maggie dressed nicely again, still wearing the wedge sandals gifted by Maeve Johnson. They were incredibly comfortable on Maggie's feet.

David took Maggie to work and dropped her off just before 9 am. He said he would be back to get her just after 4 pm, but she should check her phone for possible changes. He wished her good luck and a nice day, then he had to get home.

"Good morning, Miss Lawson!" Jack greeted her.

"It's a great morning, Mr. Johnson!" she replied. Alice entered right at 9:00 and was warmly greeted as well.

David returned home and changed into a polo shirt, jeans, and hiking boots. He had to poke and prod Tom and Julie a bit so they would not be late, but they were entering the Fourbucks store just before 10. Lisa was already there and waved to him. David went over to sit across from Lisa while Tom and Julie stood in line for some flavored beverage and a scone.

"I brought Tom and his girlfriend with me as moral support," he explained.

"That's fine," Lisa accepted and turned on her voice recorder. "May I record our discussion?"

"That is fine by me. Hopefully less chance of getting my words wrong. Where do you want to start?"

Lisa asked him how long he had been lifeguarding for the city, which pools he had worked at, general background stuff. She did ask if he had ever saved any other lives, to which he admitted to three others, although one had eventually died in the hospital from other complications. Tom and Julie sat at a nearby table to give them some space.

"Wow, so you're a serial hero then," Lisa commented.

"Please, Lisa, I do not believe I am a hero. I'm hired to do a job for which I have and keep current training. I'm sure that to those who need rescuing, all Lifeguards are heroes. I'm also sure that to those who like to break the rules, all Lifeguards are assholes. I generally enjoy being a Lifeguard, especially on those days when I don't have to put my training to use. This is my first Christmas break in college, so I did not have much in the way of expectations for how often I would be called to work. For example, I'm not working today. I think they would like me to work on Saturday, though I need to confirm that. It's a good way to make a little extra money."

"Did you know who the little boy was?" she asked.

"Not at the time. That wasn't important. What was important is that he needed the help I could give. I cannot comment on the circumstances which led to the boy falling into the water. I can only hope that others learn from that experience. Many pools don't always have a Lifeguard on duty. The safest thing to do is to learn to swim, but that boy was a little young. I hope he's not traumatized by the experience."

"Let's talk about how you learned to be a Lifeguard. You said you had been given the Swimming and the Lifesaving merit badges while you were in the Boy Scouts."

"Let me correct you there, please. Scouts EARN the Swimming and the Lifesaving merit badges; they are not given out like attendance prizes or from a vending machine. While they are not required merit badges, the founder of Scouting, Lord Baden-Powell, believed that every Scout should be a swimmer."

"Ok, you EARNED those merit badges. Where did you do that?"

"At Boy Scout Summer Camp. The Swimming badge I earned the first year; the Lifesaving I earned the second year. And before you ask, I attended Summer Camp for six summers before I turned 18. Another item is that at the end of every week, a challenge is offered called the Mile Swim. You partner up with a buddy and together you swim laps in a supervised area. I completed the Mile Swim at each of those six summer camps. And, yes, I was usually rather tired by the time I was finished."

"This is great background stuff, David. Thank you so much. Is there anything else you care to add?"

"My position on this issue may not be very popular, but I think that allowing girls to join the Scouting program is a very good thing. Yes, they still have the Girl Scouts of America program, but there must be a reason for many girls to want to do what the Boy Scouts have been doing for over a hundred years. I think it's cool that there are girl Eagle Scouts. I'd love to meet some."

With that, she shut off her recorder and gave David a big smile and a handshake, thanking him again for his time.

= = =

Over lunch, the rest of the day was discussed with Rose and Julie. By custom, the family would go out mid-afternoon to a tree farm about 30 minutes away and would cut down a tree to bring home and decorate. There were some baubles that would hang from branches and a good collection of boy-made ornaments. Strings of popcorn and cranberries would be threaded and looped as garlands, and there was a crocheted angel to sit on the top of the tree. Supper would be served around 7:30 and they would go up to church for the late Christmas Eve service which began at 10:30 with Christmas carol singing. Worship would begin at 11:00 and would finish right around midnight.

Alan had the brainstorm to ask Jack and Maeve Johnson to join them this year, as they had recently grown much closer with the influential couple. With Rose's acceptance, he called up Maeve.

"Maeve, this is Alan Harrison. Yes, yes, Merry Christmas to you as well. We, Rose and I and the boys and the girls, would like to invite you and Jack to come over to help us finish trimming the tree around 6 pm and to have supper tonight before we go to worship. Did you two have any plans?"

"Alan, I love that idea! We had no plans I was aware of. Let me speak to Jack and I'll be right back with you."

Maeve called Jack and told him they would be going to the Harrisons' for supper that night, to which Jack wisely responded, "Yes, dear."

"Oh and be sure to bring Margaret's grandchild gift with you," she admonished.

"Yes, dear." Jack hung up with a big smile on his face. He already had Maggie's gift in his pocket. Julie's as well.

Maeve called Alan back and confirmed they would be there at 6 pm. Could they bring anything? "Just your wonderful selves, please," Alan advised her.

While Alan, Rose, Tom, and Julie were out choosing and harvesting the tree, David was tasked with pulling out the ornaments and the angel as well as popping several bags of plain popcorn. Watching the clock, he was sure to pick up Maggie just after 4, and she was happy and bubbly all the way home. It had been a good day with several customers coming in to pick up their orders and a young couple in to look at wedding band sets. Alice had allowed Maggie to make the initial contacts and only stepped in when she was needed.

David parked on the street and noticed the others were not yet home with the tree. They went in and David headed for the living room where the tree would be placed in front of the window. He moved the table out of the way and set up the tree stand. All was now in readiness.

Just before 5 pm, the four returned in Alan's Volvo with the tree tied to the roof rack. David and Maggie went out to help, but it was a job for the men, so Rose had the girls help her remove the boxes of things from her car. With practiced ease, the guys got the tree indoors and properly positioned it in the stand. A little water was added for the tree to suck up, and then the task of decorating the tree began. Maggie had pulled a bowl from the kitchen and set up a Spotify playlist of classic Christmas tunes.

There was a general order for decorating the tree. First, the child-made ornaments. By custom, David would place the ones he had made and Tom would place his. This year, by unconscious agreement, the guys shared those duties with their chosen girlfriend. The more commercial baubles were placed by Rose and Alan. Then came the garlands. They had to string popcorn which kept breaking apart along with cranberries, then place the garlands around the tree. The garlands would remain with the tree when it was disposed of in a nearby pond to give the wildlife food to eat and a place to grow. Hence the edibleness of the garlands. The whole process harkened back to a simpler time when the commerciality of the holiday was not a factor.

Jack and Maeve arrived and were welcomed in nearly as surrogate parents and grandparents. Alan had reserved the right to place the angel, and he did so with a silent prayer and request for Laura to be guiding and guarding them. Then came the surprises.

Jack handed something to Maeve, who asked Julie to come to stand before her. Puzzled, Julie stood and approached Maeve. Maeve opened a small box and removed two emerald earrings, which she placed in Julie's lobes after showing them to her. Julie was nearly in tears, as these were not cheap costume jewelry, and she grabbed Maeve and hugged her so dearly. Maeve kissed her on the forehead as a benison, then sat in Alan's customary recliner.

Jack then stepped forward and gestured to Maggie, whose hand went to her chest in a classic, "Me?" gesture. He nodded and asked her to come to him. He likewise presented her with emerald earrings which he placed in her lobes, then turned her to face him and he kissed her forehead. Maggie did not try to stop the tears of wonderment and joy, and she hugged Jack so very tightly. He then led Maggie over to David, where she sat on David's lap.

"These are your 'granddaughter' gifts from us, ladies. You have opened your hearts to include us and we are so very appreciative of that. Please do wear them tonight," Jack requested. Then he stepped back and slowly nodded at Maeve.

Alan stood up from his seat on the hearth and reached to get something from the mantle. David and Tom froze for a second, then fished out their phones and subtly started the video recorder apps. Alan looked up at the picture of Laura and seemed to be praying. In fact, he was asking for her final permission to proceed on with his life. He slowly turned back to the group and hesitantly stepped forward. Rose must have had a sense of prescience as her hands started to come up to cover her face. No, this can't be happening, she thought. But it was.

Alan knelt on his left knee and brought forth the ring box. Julie and Maggie began to squeal in delight. He opened it to face Rose and he gently removed the ring. He reached for her left hand and spoke the words she had been wanting to hear for the past three weeks.

"Rosalie Lawson, my love, would you please honor me by becoming my beloved wife?"

Words totally failed her, so all she could do was nod in affirmation as her left hand trembled. Alan began to slide the ring on her left ring finger and asked, "Is that a 'yes', Rose?"

In exultation, she nearly screamed, "YES, Alan, I will marry you!" and Alan slid the ring to its rightful home on her hand.

"I know you had requested white gold, Rose, but I made a command decision when presented with the facts. You may notice that the metal has a pinkish cast to it. This ring, and the other two for us, are made of Rose Gold. I could not imagine a more perfect choice."

Maeve and Jack were smiling so broadly and crying a little at the same time. Tom and David were very accepting of all of this, and the three Lawson ladies were bawling with their joy.

= = =

For Rose, Alan's marriage proposal was not unexpected. For Alan, Rose's response was not unexpected either. But the timing of it all was unanticipated by many. She had expected him to wait until New Year's Eve or maybe even Valentine's Day. But Alan saw little value in delaying what he believed was inevitable. Besides, this was what Laura wanted to happen, and he could never, ever deny Laura's wishes.

For him to propose in front of their children was a little different, but to have included Jack and Maeve Johnson was a big step outside the norm. Yet it also seemed so right for him to do that. The Lawsons had been openly embraced by the Johnsons ever since Julie had attended worship with Tom before Thanksgiving. Their acceptance almost made up for the lack of grandparents being nearby. In fact, Jack and Maeve had declared themselves to be surrogate grandparents for Julie and Maggie with their earring gifts earlier.

Alan had intended for them to prepare and share a meal at home. However, true to the adage 'if you want God to laugh, tell him your plans', they had to adapt. Although it was Christmas Eve, Alan thought their favorite place would still be serving food, so he called them to verify. Yes, Los Tres Amigos was still open and would be serving until 9 pm. As it was only 6:30, there was plenty of time.

"Change of plans," he announced. "We are going to have supper at Los Tres Amigos tonight. So, I would ask you please to get dressed per our family's custom and reconvene here within 30 minutes. That leaves no time for canoodling, except for you, Maeve and Jack," Alan declared, which drew a grin from Jack.

Tom and David's reactions were to start for the stairs. Then they turned back to pull their ladies along to get dressed up for supper and then the worship service afterward. It was re-explained to the girls about the family custom to dress up for holiday meals. The light of understanding lit behind Julie's and Maggie's eyes, and they hurried to comply.

"Maeve and Jack, would you please forgive us any rudeness? We must go up and become suitably attired for the remainder of this evening," Alan explained.

"Go right ahead, Alan," Jack said with a smile on his face and a glint of mischief in his eyes. "We'll just sit here on your comfy sofa and practice our canoodling." Maeve's face quickly flushed with embarrassed excitement at her husband's words and suggestive looks. Rose gave a small, knowing laugh, then taking Alan's hand in hers, led him up to their bedroom to change clothes.

Dressing quickly, Alan put on a white shirt with Rose's favorite of his red ties while she was rolling up a new, fresh pair of mocha-colored stockings, complete with a seam running up the back of her fantastic legs. Suddenly, Alan was dismayed at his 'no canoodling' edict. He sighed. They would just have to wait until they got home, he supposed, for the desired and needed coitus.

David and Maggie were the first to reconvene in the living room. They did not witness anything going on between the Johnsons, but Maeve did follow them in from her visit to the restroom, so who knows what may or may not have happened. Maeve did ask about Laura's portrait on the mantle and David admitted to having done it. Maggie quickly slipped upstairs and soon returned with the Kitsune caricature of her. Along with the two primarily black and white charcoal portraits, all four of David's works were now on display around the fireplace.

About then, Julie and Tom showed up and the discussion shifted to the apartment she and Tom would soon be sharing for the spring semester. When Rose and Alan arrived, there was a very happy glow around Rose, most likely due to the ring on her left hand that she simply could not take her eyes off of. To give Alan and Rose a little more time and space, Tom and Julie rode with David and Maggie. The discussion in that car centered around the guys having recorded Alan's proposal to Rose. Something should be done about saving it for future playback.

Maeve and Jack did not customarily eat much Mexican cuisine, so they were not familiar with Los Tres Amigos. But they truly enjoyed the chips and salsa provided as an appetizer. They got a platter of loaded nachos to share while the others ordered their usual favorites. Rose sat across the table from Alan and kept holding his right hand with her left. It was all an excuse to gaze upon her newest piece of jewelry while touching the man she had quickly come to love and adore. She also enjoyed showing off her Rose Gold engagement ring. The diamond was an extra special bonus, being larger than the one she had had to sell years ago. The significance of the Rose Gold was not lost on her, and she delighted in just looking at it where it belonged -- on her finger.

Supper was concluding when the owner appeared at the table. "Ah, Senor Alan, do you have some good news to share with the world?" he said, looking intently at Rose's left hand, then at all the smiles around the table.

"Si, Enrique, esta mi proxima esposa, Rose. We could not think of a better place to come celebrate our engagement supper."

"Rosa, I believe you have chosen wisely to tell my amigo Alan, 'yes'. Please accept my welcome to our family!" Enrique then tore up the check for their meal and wished them all Feliz Navidad!

Alan left a $50 tip in place of the non-existent bill, and they departed the restaurant so the employees could get an earlier start to their holiday. The group had delayed their departure for as long as they could, but they did move along out of courtesy to the restaurant workers.