All Comments on 'Stand by Me - Mary's Side'

by demander

Sort by:
  • 89 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It's sure that trying a relationship because he's good in the sack is really becoming very mature. ???

Just like when the guy looks at the singer and tells her she's not on his level???

It's true that a woman is only to be considered by her beauty, her breasts, her pussy or her ass.

francemanfrancemanover 1 year ago

Mary has a strange way of wanting her ex-husband back by showing off her lovers??

She has really grown and matured following the divorce.

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 1 year ago

When Benji finished he leapt off the stage, twirling. so are u saying he leapt off the stage and in mid air he did a 360 twirl and the landed in front of his wife? like a ballerina?

Bronco56Bronco56over 1 year ago

Great follow up story. 5stars

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 1 year ago

not sure what u were trying to do here. i mean if they got back together ok. or she moved on with her life and met someone else got married and did it again. as it is theres nothing to this story at all

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Hopefully, she learned from her mistakes!

5

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

Thank you for posting this. It is interesting to see the other perspective - and I like the happy(ish) ending..

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 1 year ago

Mary is a surprisingly appealing character. I think it’s her honesty and self deprecation. I’m not usually a big fan of his/her recapitulations of the original story, especially when it’s a fact by fact retelling of the first part, but in this case I really enjoyed it. As I stated, it’s because Mary’s frankness and honesty were so appealing, and in the end, I surprisingly found myself really pulling for her happy ending. Well done. Thanks much.

jasonnhjasonnhover 1 year ago

Typical DUMB cheating woman. She spends the whole story explaining how she can't control herself sexually and moaning about the effect it had on her marriage. It all comes to a head when Benji says, "Jenny can be trusted, and Mary, you can't.". Mary then goes off and gets married again and declares, "I will never, never mess up again.".

After spending the whole time telling "her" side of things, saying that men are "easy" (translation: easy to manipulate and deceive), and describing how she likes to game them and play with them, does anyone have confidence that it is true that she won't "mess up"?

You have to feel sorry for Guy, who "wasn't as spontaneously smart as Benji", i.e. easier to fool. He married a woman who he cannot trust. Ultimately, you have to think the lesson she learned from losing Benji is that she needs to be a better cheater. Hey, it's a "character flaw".

SeafoamzoneSeafoamzoneover 1 year ago

Great follow up from her perspective. Life is funny, it goes on and we all live it and make the best of it and overall we can be happy but what could have been can still haunt us.

amygdalaamygdalaover 1 year ago

Nice follow up, I especially liked the last Starbucks scene. That was an excellent maneuver by Benji to outmaneuver Mary as well as force Jenny to make a decision and stop straddling the fence and pick a direction relationship wise.

SunnyU2SunnyU2over 1 year ago

Mary gave up too easy. She had a great chance to win him back. Instead of distancing himself after the divorce, Benji still kept in contact and wanted to be around her. She put up no fight.

Wavedave45Wavedave45over 1 year ago

" It cost me the best man I ever met. But I have a good man now."

And that right there sums up why dating as a male after 30 will always suck.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 1 year ago

Ok. Glad it was good for everyone.

Even the cheater.

Man, I feel sorry for Guy though.

What if another Bailey comes along...?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why did Mary behave as she did? That was not at all clear in the original story. I appreciate Demander’s attempt here to clarify, but I think that some people will remain a mystery. Here it seems that Mary at first doubts her ability to be faithful…acknowledging a character flaw. Yet, by the end of the story, she seems confident that she will remain faithful to Guy. The source of that confidence is not clear, but maybe her experiences really led her to change.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Part one was bad enough. Why did you think part two would be any better? Another demander dudd.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Jason below covered it well. Not sure who johntcooksey read about.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why marry a known cheater?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"Even now, after a year of therapy, I haven't been able fully to see why I lost my way. "

So, much for therapy, eh? I guess the concepts of "entitlement", "selfishness" and "lack of empathy" never came up or were discussed in a year of therapy. If they did come up then neither Mary or the therapist never applied or considered these as the root of Mary's problem that caused her to lose her way and cheat on the best man she ever knew. The cause of her character flaw still an unknown. Me thinks there wasn't enough introspection done in the therapy and both Mary and the therapist is still looking for an unknowable external factor for Mary's character flaw of wanting to fuck other guys even when she has the best and greatest of them in her life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Your writing is getting better. Good job. lpw

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

Bullshit on the " level headed woman " ending. She doesn't even love Guy so cheating on him will be easy.

rockdoctor63rockdoctor63over 1 year ago

Nice story, Guy is in for a world of hurt. If Mary can not figure out why she cheated (because she wanted to and thought she would get away with it) what will she due with the next guy that wonders into her life?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Benji is a manipulating jackass

crazycujocrazycujoover 1 year ago
Skank!

Once a skank always a skank!

numbnutz49numbnutz49over 1 year ago

You have a knack for adding a solid twist to your stories. I enjoyed the flow and the ability for both to achieve relative happiness!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

Most of this story is a rehash of the original, and a lot of what's new includes Benji, so why didn't he include it in his story?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Getting it out of the way--the style and composition quality are first-rate, and so is the plot development as the story develops along the lines you intended. So, kudos to you on your writing.

Reading a few previous comments, it struck me that there is a dearth of stories (at least in the Loving Wives section) which portray women of substance, of complexity, of exemplifying the very real existence of PEOPLE (not just women) who represent the reality that most individuals are susceptible to making decisions upon impulse (not the case here, as Mary took her time deciding to fuck her new hotshot co-worker) or for reasons which are not clear at the time or later, upon reflection. Usually, such decisions aren't life-changing in the way that happened in this plot. That people who love each other can sometimes fall apart and STILL like (even love) their ex is fodder for lots of pontificating on social media and the news. (It can happen--been there, done that.)

Thank you for writing a story which describes how such a sad phenomenon can take place, one where the characters are not all good or all bad but just human in their capacity to make mistakes and then carry-on with their lives, trying to make the best of it. Top notch work. More please.

Mistakes are what make us human. Regrets are too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Suicide is painless. Explore that option.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I give her 3-4 years and some sexy guy will put her legs over his shoulders.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Sure, she won't mess it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Benji was the best man she ever knew, she cheated on him and planned for it to be long term cheating. Guy has no chance of coming out of this happy.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 1 year ago

Damn, such a great, well-crafted story. This dissects a complex dynamic, humanizes it, explains it, and uses it to tell a well-plotted and sadly sweet story. Not the usual LW "...now, XYZ's story...". Lively, empathic and VERY good writing. 5++++++/5!!

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Self entitled, granted herself license to do as she pleased and expected no repercussions. She got caught and he had enough balls to divorce her. Now she must settle for second best, boo hoo!

She got what she richly deserved.

Well told story, D-man.

Minor thing- “I COULDN’T care less,” not “I could care less.” Otherwise it begs the question, “How much less could you care?”

mac1729mac1729over 1 year ago

When the kids are out of the house she will once again think about getting a little something different.

Thanks for writing

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Pretty good.. Except the band part has the texture of realism. Four stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good! LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I like how Guy saw though her in the beginning but I am really stumped as to why he would think she was good wife and mother material?

Driven2ReadDriven2Readover 1 year ago

I really like this one 5* ... I liked Mary -- she's a change from most cheating wives, almost seems to understand and learn from her mistakes (maybe?). She took responsibility, gave a reasonable try to reconcile, walked away when it was obvious it wouldn't happen. No real whining. I know most can't seem to relate to someone actually see a situation for what it is. Can she remain faithful - who knows, in a perfect world I would like to think so. Then sometimes you have to take something on faith(IE Guy's choice) and do your level best to live up to the ideal. In Guy's case, If it all goes wrong, well shit happens. You can't live your life on what ifs. Or as Garth said - " 'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire " ...

BrentJWBrentJWover 1 year ago

Recap. No much new here except he marries Jenny and moves on. Good for him. Mary's a slut, not to be trusted. She new Benji was the best but not enough TY o overcome her self centeredness.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting to see it from both sides.

Surprised she wasn't already out whoring about. Poor Guy, the solid, sensible choice. But at least she was honest and kept out of personal contact. And loved him enough to give him away.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

SOSDD, Glad he did not go back to the ex.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 1 year ago

not as good as the 1st chapter. ending was flat

LT56linebackerLT56linebackerover 1 year ago

Sad enduing. I read the original story and felt it was sad, too. but it was good.5 stars, the Bear understands. I hope they BOTH learned a lesson, and are happy. The Bear loves happy endings. The only downside was ono blood and guts on the asshole (small a).

The BEAR

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Well done. I have to say this was better than the original. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Sorry, but this one almost seemed like an apology for the first part. I love your work, and I'm jealous of you, hoping I can start to write myself some time soon.

I'll look forward to your comments on my work then.

EastCoaster

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Can the leopard change his spots, or the selfish slut her ways? Poor generic Guy.

iammweaseliammweaselover 1 year ago

I'll say you are getting a little better each time.

Story was still kind of empty, didnt get a whole lot of emotion out of it. Still better than what I've gotten used to from you.

BaggyUKBaggyUKover 1 year ago

That was different, very good but different. I've read most of your work and really like it. You wrote this from a very different perspective... somehow like it was the real you. Maybe just me but wherever you wrote it from ... write some more from there please. Thank you.

nestorb30nestorb30over 1 year ago

Actually fairly realistic, they both settled for other people since they could not be together

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveover 1 year ago

I agree with John, Mary is a likable character. She made a mistake, realized it, and ended up hurt. But she has a good head on her shoulders, and she is honest with herself. Every person will have regrets in life, mistakes will be made. But people shouldn't be ashamed of regrets; wear them well. The more you have, the more you have lived.

26thNC26thNCover 1 year ago

Another good story. Although I really hate to see an unfaithful spouse get a happy ending, Mary wasn’t totally evil, just a typical shady lady lawyer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Okay story but strangely, despite the stories’ content, is lacking angst. Three stars ⭐️ for this one.

muskyboymuskyboyover 1 year ago

Felt a little compassion for Mary until the line "I couldn't say for sure that if we got back, I would be true and faithful.' That was the end of the story for me. Assuming she cheats on her new husband in chapter 3?

Moonbat74Moonbat74over 1 year ago

Matter of time until a character like Mary fucks up again and screws around. Morals of an alley cat.

Rolando1225Rolando1225over 1 year ago

I don't think the story needed this "epilog". I liked it better with the end open. It was clear the marriage was done. The future starts... tomorrow. The beauty of life is that it ends! Thanks for the tale and the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great sequel bait. "I have a character flaw. It cost me the best man I ever met. But I have a good man now. And I will never, never mess up again." She had an even better man before, made the same vows in front of God and family, yet she fucked him over, and claims she doesn't even know why. She said "have", not "had." Once the kids are grown and gone, the tedium and boredom of her second class marriage begins to wear thin, and her arrogance and entitlement reemerge, she'll be fucking around again. When her ex husband declared that she couldn't be trusted at the coffee shop she just threw in the towel, because she knew he was right. She could have claimed she was a changed woman, sadder but wiser, grown up and rehabilitated. But she didn't; she knew it would be a risky bet, if not an outright lie. Even a liar and a cheat can speak the truth, on occasion. Not much was revealed by this second chapter, other than that she was weak, bored, and thought she might as well get some strange cock on the sly; why not? Next time she'll try to be more discreet. I hope we find out if she's successful. Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’m going to level with you , even a level headed woman can get a half a bubble off with a plumb bob , and that’s on the up and up !

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

It made me laugh when Mary told her ex-husband that she's currently fucking three guys. I can't think of anything more disgusting, than hearing the ex is being used as a cum dump by multiple men. The really funny part was the way she said it, as if it was a complement to her ex-husband, and that it would somehow make him want to get back together with her.

-

Staying friends with an ex the way they did would be super awkward. The absolute last thing I'd want to know is that she's happy with a new husband and starting a family.

KitDeLuca164KitDeLuca164over 1 year ago

I’m glad Mary found peace. I wish you had explored Mary’s early no interest, reluctance, resistance and ultimate planned acquiescence to Lee more. Lee’s handsome, smart, and assertive. Mary’s married, with no major cracks in the marriage. What brought her to the edge of a devastating affair?

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

1 star. Basically, she didn't pay for what she did. She still ended up married to a great guy. No financial hit. Boo hoo she isn't married to a guy who's as ideal for her preference. That's not enough punishment for her.

She's not appealing at all. I fully disagree with 2 comments befire mine, and fully agree with jasonnh. The only person that comes off sympathetic in this new relationship, is Guy, and I feel bad for him. Always knowing he was a "safe backup choice", not someone who's loved by who he loves. If I was him, I'd not propose to the cheater.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

my wife is a great exhibitionist and loves to show off her bald pussy to any guy that will look. we go to book stores and she finds a chair and gets ready. she slides her skirt up to an area above her knees and opens her legs wide apart and just sits there as the guys walk around. if one stiops and looks she opens her legs wide and her skirt goes up above her garter on her garter belt if he continues to look the skirt goes up above the pussy and he can look all he wants she loves doing this

CDRLawCDRLawover 1 year ago

this is a simple story, very nicely told. No BTB, revenge or macho heroics. Just ordinary people, the way it ordinarily works out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

pig

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Maybe this is a fine example of what typically happens after a betrayal. It's sad and unsatisfying, but life sometimes is just that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I gave it average but inca 2222 said it for me also

LucasredLucasredover 1 year ago

It can be so easy to make a catastrophic mistake.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Take 2 (since my remarks should have posted 2 or 3 days ago, but somehow didn't): QuickMagazine didn't love this the way I loved "Stand By Me," but because it's still the same story, I gave Mary's side a 5 as well. But since I had to re-post these comments (and revise them), today's comments are accompanied by a 4. Things turned out just fine for Benji, Jenny's a better fit anyway (they share music). And although in my comments on the original, I had suggested that Benji could get over his misgivings by drafting a pre-nup, putting the two women together at the coffee place was an even better way to do what Percy Sledge said (“Take Time To Know Her”). As for Mary? Second best is still pretty good. And it's not like she was simply settling for Guy. Appears that had she met him first, she'd have felt the same about him as she wound up feeling for Benji. So all's well that ends well, I guess. Though of course, she was "level-headed" back then, too. Which I assume is demander's point. Meanwhile, I have remarked before about demander's writing style often being "just the facts, ma'am" - and in reading this today, got the thought that he's kind of like a Neil Young of Lit, using terse language to good effect.

fritz51fritz51over 1 year ago

I'm in agreement with Powersworder - Bengi & May having this post divorce game of thrones -Awkward doesn't completely discribe it, not to mention being very disrespectful to Jenny... who likely should have told Benji to take a hike after he said, "I have no guarantees for either one of you. I love you both."

That was the spot when he SHOULD have been assuring Jenny, that he didn't, proved that he still had the hots for Mary, even though she'd informed him that she'd been fucking several guys.

Crap dude, you divorced her for screwing ONE guy, and now you are considering back peddling to her when she's amitted to four or so more?

Run, Jenny, Run fast.

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

Liked it

Though l think he is a bit of an asshole, playing that game the way he did at the end. He’s lucky Jenny didn’t ditch him just over that.

4/5

bigurnbigurnover 1 year ago

I'm sorry but this is a generic story about 2 posers that are more concerned with playing games than being committed to a partner.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I feel like I've read a different version of this story, maybe from an earlier time. It had both parts 1 and 2 together, and she left him a note that she left him and everything. He spent 3 days (his grandfathers advice from long ago) drunk, punching holes in the drywall being pissed off and crying, then gathered up his life, called his friends, and they did a whole house remodel. He told their adult kids that the wife left him, and he and his friends got the band back together again. He also cleaned the dust off his Harley and traded in the mini van for a sports car. In the end it became a reconciliation story, but they never re-married after he invited her to Christmas with the kids at HIS house. I can't remember the name of that story, but I did find it here on Lit, and read it. I thought it was better than these 2 though.

SteelPaperTSteelPaperTover 1 year ago

Oooohhhhh, poor her. Hurt soooo bad, and hardly at fault. Typical woman.

jsch1947jsch1947over 1 year ago

Benji's half was 5 stars.

This one was a solid 8 stars.

Together they're a Masterpiece.

There is a lesson here. The Author gets it.

Most LW readers do not.

More need to understand the dynamics of seduction.

The natural, genetic submissive characteristics that drive most women.

Men.....take charge

Women yearn to be taken.

YET.... We all make mistakes and we LEARN from them.

Yes, she got burned. She burned herself.

Her consequences should be determined by her ability to convince him of her contrition and ability to learn from it.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 1 year ago

Also, Enjoyed this part. Thanks for your writing.

Schlouis57Schlouis57over 1 year ago

Très déçu. J'ai eu du mal à aller jusqu'à la fin.

mariverzmariverzabout 1 year ago

Muy buena serie, (te escribo en mi idioma materno).

Me encantó

Te felicito autor!!

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

"remate"???.... really? that dropped you from a 4 to 3 star.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

A nice remembrance of the King of Soul's music. There will never be another Otis, but at least there was one. We were blessed.

PhoenixLore1981PhoenixLore19816 months ago

Mean while she's off fucking others her character flaw as she calls it is she's a no good for nothing slut

WargamerWargamer6 months ago

Guess what?

She’ll mess up again, you just know it. LOL!!!!!!!

5/5

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Very good tongue and cheek ending! Yeah right, baby!

phill1cphill1c5 months ago

Sam Cooke is the King of Soul. James Brown is the Godfather of Soul. Otis Redding is the Crown Prince of Soul (never heard of this...)

Medussa55Medussa553 months ago

I've read both halves and the other one is better. It had a sense of flow and justice about it. This one's plot seemed a little forced and logically didn't make much sense. Maybe just not for me. Well written though

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

"I will never, never mess up again". Ahhhh, if you say so. Guy definitely needs a trust but verify philosophy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Some would say that levelheaded woman is an oxymoron.

Regardless, never give up your true love for a spouse.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

Right, she's a levelheaded woman and won't do it "again". Unless of course he's cute, or the stars a line, or or or.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous