Stranded Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What the hell!? Where is she?" Ezekiel must have pointed towards the closet, because not a word was spoken as Dale approached.

"You in there, girl?"

"Yes." My voice cracked, the strain causing me to wince.

"What did you see?"

"Nothing." Zeke interrupted me before I could even open my mouth.

"I wasn't asking you! Heathen, speak!"

"There were two of them, I only saw their feet." If Ezekiel wasn't telling Dale everything, then I wasn't sure I should either. The door opened, bringing with it a breeze of fresh air and bright light. I pushed the short sweaty strands of my hair back from my forehead. Dale returned the keys to his pocket and I kept the other one held tightly in my palm.

"Damnit Ezekiel, what did I tell you about the girl's hair?"

"Sorry Papa."

"Just tell me what happened," he grumbled, turning his attention back to me.

"They hit him, demanded he give up the key."

"Did you hear their names?" Behind Dale's standing form was Zeke, still sitting on the floor, shaking his head and I hesitated. I was going to be under Zeke's care for the rest of the week, but I knew Dale held more authority. He glanced at his grandson before stepping between us, blocking Zeke from view.

"Don't look at him, you look at me! Give me their names, now." My lower lip began to quiver, and I caved.

"Noah and Saul." Dale looked back down at his grandson.

"Omission of truth is just lying's ugly cousin."

"I can handle myself!" Zeke insisted.

"I know you can, but they still broke the rules. We can't have order without...?" Zeke looked down, wiping stray fugitive tears.

"Without obedience. I'm sorry Papa." Dale ran a hand through his hair, letting out a long sigh.

"It's not your fault, those boys are just jealous of your gifts. You got more talent in your pinky than they got in both their bodies." He ruffled Zeke's hair affectionately, then headed back out, no doubt in search of his boys. We were alone for several minutes before Zeke spoke again. I stayed sitting watching his eyes as they swept the mess across his floor.

"You should have kept it to yourself," he grumbled, wiping his nose on his sleeve. His cheek was ugly and red, already a little swelling under his left eye.

"I don't want to be in trouble for lying." I admitted.

"He'll punish 'em. Then they'll be back, and they'll be meaner next time."

"I'm sorry." I wasn't sure what else he wanted me to say. I didn't want him to get hurt or beat up because of my existence, but I also didn't want to suffer Dale's wrath for refusing to answer.

"Would you like some help picking things up?" I offered. He was still wiping his nose, turning his sleeve sideways and inside out but only succeeded in smearing it across his lips and chin, causing him to grow more and more frustrated. I walked on my knees, making my way over to some of the scattered items across the floor and tore off a paper towel, dipping it in the water on his desk, the one thing that had managed not to be turned over in the chaos. I cautiously moved closer until I was kneeling right beside him and shakily reached out to wipe his face. He had a confused look, but he let me clean his face, eyes studying me closely as I did.

"How are your sides?" Noah had kicked him hard. He scowled and moved away, towards the mess, wincing as he reached for some of the scattered doll limbs. I didn't ask if he wanted help again, instead I crawled over and did it anyways. Most of the drawers had labels, which made it much easier. Together we had it picked up and had everything back in its place in no time.

"How is your throat?"

"Hurts."

"Let's go make tea." He held out his hand, it took me a minute to realize he expected me to take it. Where Sam/Arioch's hands were calloused, Ezekiel's were soft, encompassing mine like giant pillows as he pulled me towards the kitchen. And like before, the room went silent the moment I stepped into it. Mary was the first to move, rushing across the kitchen to inspect Ezekiel's face.

"Your uncles do this to you?"

"Damn bullies, that is what they are!" Bethany muttered beneath her breath, but she kept her eyes down and her hands busy as she rolled out what looked like biscuits and set them on a cookie sheet.

"I'm fine, Nana. I came for tea." Zeke announced, pulling his grandmother's hands from his face. Mary looked to me, eyes nearly unreadable and I remembered that she had started as Earl's wife. How long had she suffered at his hands before Abraham saved her?

"You were the one making all that racket!?" she demanded, eyes sweeping over my hair but saying nothing. I nodded, not wanting to push against the scratchiness in the back of my throat.

"Thank you, even if you were the cause of it all." I guess a backhanded compliment was better than nothing. One of the wives I didn't recognize shooed Zeke away and started prepping the tea herself. He grabbed an icepack and sat down on the stool, patting the top of the open one next to it for me. I gave him a small smile and sat down. The woman brought me lemon tea with honey mixed in and I sipped it gratefully. If screaming hadn't worked, I would have given them the key, especially if I thought it would stop them from hurting Zeke. I placed the key into Zeke's palm, and he grinned as he slid it back into his jeans.

Some of the women returned to their tasks, but the talking died down to an awkward silence. It was Emily who broke it first as she came bursting through the kitchen door. She glanced at me and muttered a, good lord before turning her attention to Zeke, who groaned but dutifully turned around. She checked his pupils, his nose, and even a few ribs before declaring him cleared.

"Papa wants you out in the barn," she announced. His eyes darkened.

"I don't wanna."

"You know that's not an option sweetheart, discipline is necessary. We can't have order..."

"Without obedience." Zeke finished, voice flatter than the first time. I finished my tea and took Zeke's hand. I thanked them as he pulled me behind him and outside towards the actual barn. Small groups of children gathered, some whispered and pointed, others were giggling my way. My hand slid self-consciously towards my hair. Was it uneven? Did I look like a boy now? I shook my head, it's just hair. The barn was similar in design to Sam's, except it was three times bigger. An ominous feeling settled over me as we walked through the doors. Dale and two young men were waiting. I could tell by his boots, which one was Noah. He was the taller of the two, I was surprised to find his hair longer than everyone else. A rebel, how interesting. He had it swept back in a small ponytail, and I noticed a pierced ear. The shorter young man beside him was rather heavy, his stomach spilling out over the sides, his hair was buzzed short, but he had the beginning of a beard on his face.

"Are these the boys?" Noah's eyes looked up, daring me to say yes.

"I-I-I'm not sure." A flash of exasperation crossed Dale's face. He smacked the back of Noah's head.

"Hey! What was that for!?" But Dale's eyes were on me, my reaction; I had recognized his voice; it was all the confirmation he needed.

"Ezekiel, go on and fetch me Skin-flayer." He released his grip on my hand and shuffled his way to the closet towards the front of the barn, disappearing inside the room.

"We didn't..."

"Save your breath, son. Your knuckles are already bruised and there's a spot of blood on your boot. You ain't talking your way out of this one." Noah's jaw clenched.

"Over a Heathen!?" he demanded in disbelief.

"Just because you're old enough to stick your dick in a woman, doesn't mean you can stick it in any woman you goddamn want! You were all warned, you directly disobeyed me." Noah glowered, but remained silent. Zeke returned with a large leather whip, handing it over to Dale before returning beside me, taking my hand back in his. The whip was a little worn around the handle, but it unfolded with ease. With a name like Skin-flayer, I expected something more terrifying. Wait until he uses it.

"Against the wall boys." Saul sniffled as he unbuttoned his shirt, Noah simply pulled his off over his head with a sneer, both turned their backs and put their hands against the barn wall. In comparison to the disaster I'd seen on Sam's back, Noah and Saul had few; but it still made me sad to see any. Surely there was a better method of discipline.

"You should have kept your mouth shut," Ezekiel muttered again, squeezing my hand just a little too tightly.

"I didn't know this would happen." I watched as Dale raised his arm, nearly jumping out of my skin at the first crack of the whip, but I felt nothing when I watched it come down across Noah's exposed back. I wanted to be horrified, I wanted to protest, but a small part of me believed they deserved it. What kind of monster am I turning into? The second one breaks open Noah's skin a little forcing me to look away, flinching as the sounds echo. Where were all the animals? Had they been cleared out just for this? Ezekiel reached up and turned my head back towards his uncles.

"We are to bear witness. There can be no absolution for them, without suffering." They came from his lips, but the words didn't sound like his own.

"You can witness. I don't want to." But his giant hands clamped down tighter, squeezing enough that I was forced to look ahead. I squeezed my eyes shut; I didn't want to see what I was responsible for.

"If we do not bear witness, then we will be next," he warned through clenched teeth. I opened my eyes, watching as their backs were covered in more angry red lines. When Dale declared their punishment finished, both boys collapsed to their knees. Saul was a blubbering mess, but Noah just leaned his head against the wall, fists clenched tightly at his sides as he breathed steadily. Dale wiped the whip clean with a handkerchief from his pocket and held the whip out for Zeke to return.

I stood there frozen, not wanting to call any attention to myself. I wrapped my arms tightly around my chest, as if hugging myself could change what I had just watched. Would Sam punish his children the same way? I shook my head, I refused to let the vile thought of children with that man take root. I was going to get away before I ever let that happen!

"Head on in and have Mother Emily clean ya up." Saul wiped his face shamelessly on his crumpled-up shirt as he shuffled out of the barn; Noah was much slower to move, body stiff. I couldn't tell if he had received the worst of it, or if it seemed worse because Saul was a bit bulkier. Either way the deadly look Noah shot my way told me every word Zeke had said was true. They were going to come back, and they were going to be a lot meaner.