Strange wonderful things do happen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Cagivagurl
Cagivagurl
3,569 Followers

We threw back our drinks, cringing at the horrid biting taste.

"Are you shocked, Andrea? You can be honest. I have seen every response. The disgust, the horror. That was the worst. Telling my parents, Dad was disgusted. Mum was disappointed. She saw her chances of getting grandchildren going down the drain."

"Kiara, I have a confession to make I guess. I'm gay, have been all my life."

The look on her face was one of amazement. "You're gay?"

"Yeah, I don't hide the fact. I just don't promote it. I'm out and proud with my friends, but around people I don't know as well, I keep it... not hidden, but not on display either."

"Good god, girl. My gaydar must be broken. I never even got a twitch." I laughed loudly as we clinked glasses before throwing back another biting drink.

"Same, I never knew you were either. I saw photos of you in magazines. You always have some hunk on your arm. I thought you were straight... Lucky, but straight."

"Why lucky?" She quizzed.

"Well, all those male celebrities. You dated like, I mean every good looking guy in the country."

"Keeping up appearances. There are some expectations in my position. You know what they say. There's no such thing as bad publicity."

"I guess. Still, I've never seen any photos with you and other women. Shit, you kept it well hidden."

"It's out now, I guess." She glanced strangely at me through the misty fog of inebriation. "You will want to tell, I imagine."

"What? No way baby. I'd never reveal a secret. Anything you say to me is private and confidential. Shit girl, I do have integrity."

She hugged me tightly. her body crushed against mine. "Thank you, Andrea. I appreciate your decency. Not everybody in my life has been so forthright."

"Somebody hurt you, babe?" I mumbled through the fog.

She giggled snidely. "Babe, is it?"

"Sorry, it slipped out." I apologised quickly.

"Don't be silly. I was teasing. It's nice being somebody's babe. I should have seen it coming. Daley has been distant for a while. It's all my bloody fault." The tears started flowing again, and I drew her back into a hug, her head resting on my shoulder.

"Hey, c'mon babe. It'll be okay. She was stupid to let you go. Shit, everybody has to work."

"No, I let things drift. I saw it, felt it and did nothing. I'm a damn fool."

"Hindsight's easy. Maybe she'll change her mind. Like maybe she's challenging yah?"

She sneered. "She's not that clever. It hurts, but maybe it's a good thing. We were in different spaces."

Her arms tightened around my neck. Her wet soggy cheeks rubbed against me. I felt those wonderful butterflies rousing. Kiara was my hot crush, and here she was. In my arms, cuddling me. Her gorgeous pouty lips only centimetres away.

Kiss her, my drunken brain screamed mercilessly.

Thankfully she stopped me. She leaned away and lifted both hands to hold my head and stare into my eyes. "Thank you, Andrea. I needed somebody who I could trust tonight."

"Hey, I'm here for you," I replied, my hands resting on her hips. "We better get a move on though. We'll never finish this bottle otherwise."

"Right on, sister. Let's smash the bitch."

I did get my kiss as I staggered out of her room. It was a sweet goodnight kiss. Nothing sexual from her perspective, but for me... My tummy somersaulted crazily, my drunken mind already planning our wedding.

The screaming alarm woke me. It dragged me slowly out of my stupor. God, I was still woozy. I bounced from wall to wall as I stumbled into the shower. I stood there soaking in the spirited jets as they washed away some of the funk.

What a night... Kiara was gay... Wow, how had I missed it? I went over past conversations trying to reconcile my unawareness. She would have made a great secret agent. She had kept it that close.

Wrapped in my towel, I wandered out into the room. Two large glasses of water settled my tummy. I wondered if Kiara was up? She'd smashed her phone, so maybe she didn't have an alarm. If mine hadn't gone off. I'd still be asleep.

I checked my phone for the time, and it was getting late. I held the phone to my ear as I rang her room. On and on it rang until finally she picked up. "Hello." She grumbled falteringly.

"Hey Kiara. It's me, it's getting late. Are you up yet?"

I heard her voice change, and she mumbled, "Oh shit." The phone went dead. I wandered over to her room and knocked lightly. I heard her moving around before her door swung open.

"Oh my god. You look awful." I gasped in horror.

"Thanks," she snapped. "I need a shower."

Her cheeks were red and blotchy as hell. Her hair was a mess. When I walked in, I realised why. The other bottle sat almost empty on the table beside the one we drank. No wonder she was still hung over.

She staggered backwards, and I had to grab her. "Oh god. I feel awful," she muttered. "Can you help me into the shower?"

With her arms clasped around my neck, I guided her into the shower. I helped her unbutton her blouse, my heart pounding, my eyes absorbing her gorgeousness. Damn, her boobs were luscious. With her soaking in the shower, I rang room service for some coffee and breakfast.

I rummaged through her wardrobe, finding a super creamy blouse. The was a pair of navy suit pants that would go together well. God, all her lingerie was sexy as hell. Expensive, luxurious pieces.

The rap on the door announced breakfast was there.

Kiara, still unsteady, walked out. "Shit, my heads pounding. Do you have anything?"

I rushed back to my room as she sat wrapped in her towel.

I returned, holding out the packet of Panadol pain killers.

"Thank you, Andrea." She threw down a handful with her coffee.

"Shall I phone the clients and tell them we're running late?"

She choked on her piece of toast. "No... Absolutely not. There's nothing worse than being late. We'll get through it."

I helped her with the hair drier, brushing out her wonderful glossy tresses. "Your hair is beautiful." I sighed enviously. Mine was short, not boyishly, but it meant no styling required for mornings like that.

I left her to get dressed as I rushed back to my room to get my laptop and briefcase. Kiara walked out of her room just as I closed my room door. She looked marginally better, but still terrible. As we climbed into the taxi. I whispered. "I have a suggestion." Fishing through my briefcase, I found a COVID face mask, and handed it to her.

"What's say we tell them you have an awful cold, and although you tested negative. We're worried about COVID?"

"I have to run the presentations," she said curtly.

"Let me do it. You join in whenever you think I've gone off track. You can still put in the important bits."

She nodded approvingly as I gave the cabby the address. "Thank you, Andrea. I feel terrible leaving it to you. I'm such a fool letting her get to me that way. If I stuff up these meetings today, all the hard work we put in yesterday will be for nothing."

"It's okay. We can do it."

She squeezed my arm. "Thank you."

As we rode up to the eleventh floor. Kiara pulled on the COVID mask in preparation.

We managed to sell it pretty well. The clients seemed grateful for our cautiousness.

There was a morning tea as we got through the required introductions. Once in the boardroom, I took control. I ran the overheads, and started our sales spiel. Kiara stood beside me, offering little tidbits. Trying to stay involved.

I even got through the Q&A session afterwards. It went remarkably well, Kiara picking up my missed points. The clients still seemed impressed, even without Kiara's expert oratory skills.

There were lots of handshakes and hugs as we left. In the elevator, Kiara grabbed me, wrapping me in both arms. "You were incredible. I am so grateful. I am so embarrassed, but you did an amazing job."

Her kiss took me by surprise, it lingered longer than a thank you.

Lunch, thank god for lunch. It saved us, really, Kiara's colour was returning and there was some life in her eyes.

We enjoyed our lunch... then it was onto our next meeting. Even though Kiara was feeling much better, we went with the same routine. Kiara moved around the room talking more intimately, and highlighting different aspects.

I felt myself growing, her confidence in me emboldening my somewhat lagging self-esteem.

Back at the hotel, after some very positive feedback, we retired to our rooms. I wanted a nap, but I was so excited I couldn't sleep. My mind kept going over the events of the last few days.

My buzzing phone broke my concentration. "Are you ready for dinner?"

"Heck yeah. I'm famished."

At the table, we both opted for water with our meals.

"How long were you with Daley?" I asked, hoping not to sound nosy.

"Three years," she replied hesitantly. "Three wasted years. I put so much into that relationship, and she blew me off. Just like that, over the phone no less."

"Maybe you can change her mind?"

Her eyes narrowed as she peered at me. "You apparently didn't hear all of our exchanges. No, I don't think there's any coming back from some of the things we said."

"Everybody says shit when they're angry. She'll know that. She probably feels as bad as you do."

With a sullen pout, she muttered, "I don't think so. She was a nasty little bitch."

"C'mon, we're all like that. Shit, when Roxie and I split up we went at it. We're friends now but..."

"I doubt we could even be friends after that. I have never seen Daley like that. She was so bitter."

"Do you think there might be somebody else?"

"I hope so, that would take away some of my guilt. I know it was mostly my fault."

"Stop it, you're beating yourself up and it wasn't all your fault."

"No, it is my fault. I have been so wrapped up in the business. I travelled too much. Worked late, and really. I stopped caring for her. I'm hopeless really."

"I think if you can just give it some time. Take a breath, re-evaluate. Daley will be doing the same. She will miss you as well."

We finished the mains, and Kiara ordered a dessert, so I did as well.

"What about you, Andrea? What happened between you and your ex?"

"Work... Roxanne got a job down in Wellington. She asked me to go, but it didn't feel right. I know it wasn't love, otherwise I would have gone. I thought she was the one, but when she asked me to go with her, I didn't even think about it."

"It is hard today. Trying to find love, maintain independence, build a career. It all takes time."

"Yeah, most of my friends struggle as well. We're always joking about being old maids."

"Stop, you're far too young, and way to beautiful to worry. You will find somebody."

"I guess so, but I want to get my career moving. You know, get one part of my life established properly."

"Oh sweetie. You and me both."

"You're a bloody millionaire. Your career is already established."

"You are so wrong, I have every cent I have invested in my company. I have the company, that is where all of my money is. Do not misinterpret what I said. I am not broke." She said with a sneaky giggle. "Still, I have to be careful."

I sniggered, "Careful... Holy shit, you should see me balancing my credit cards at the end of the month. Now that's careful."

"Perhaps not after this trip." She replied.

"What?"

"Andrea, I have been really impressed. The way you took over this morning, supported me. You really took the pressure off. I cannot believe how you handled it. I hadn't even thought of the mask. You certainly saved my reputation with those clients. I thank you for that."

"Now you're being silly. It's my job."

"No, you could have sat back and had a laugh at my expense. You did not have to pick up all the responsibility. So thank you."

We feasted happily on our cream filled brandy snaps, and the conversation moved on. We talked about growing up gay. Kiara's journey was way different to mine. She grew up in Auckland, me, I grew up in Paeroa, a small country town.

We chatted intimately about our first times, which was funny going back over my experience. I was clumsy and awkward. Neither of us really knew what to do, but you know what happens. Once you're kissing, things warm up.

That Aussie trip changed everything for me. Back in the Auckland office, Kiara not only gave me a pay raise, but started including me in all client meetings. Almost overnight, I had a new profile within the business. I've often read about quantum shifts, and this felt like it.

No longer treated as an outsider. Kiara pushed the account managers to include me, and to talk to me before taking issues to her.

Added to that, she dragged me along on most of her regional travels. Our new relationship blossomed on the back of my heightened involvement. Her new levels of trust empowered me to climb out of my personal environment.

She used me as a bounce board with ideas, and we would often be seen standing in front of a white board discussing different ideas. Her confidence in me created a work ethic.

I used to leave the office at five regardless of what happened. That's what I was paid for, and because I felt like an added extra, I wasn't prepared to put in anything more than what I was paid for.

Now, I stayed, and I joined in, whether I was invited or not. I made sure I never left until Kiara. That's when I realised how much effort and time she put into the business. It frightened me to see the hours she worked.

My social life took a beating, though. I missed the girls. Missed the nights out drinking and dancing. They were fun, and my avenues to meeting somebody.

Yeah, I had my new friend, and Kiara definitely was that, but she was focused on one thing and one thing only: building her business. It was exciting and fun, gave me insights into the business world, but I missed my friends.

"Hi, can I help you?" I asked enquiringly of the very attractive woman who seemed to be walking aimlessly around our offices.

She strolled over to my desk, looking anxious. "I hoped to catch up with Kiara Jacobs," she said, her voice wavering and uncertain.

"I'm sorry, she's not in the office this afternoon. Can I help? I'm Andrea, her personal assistant."

"No thanks, it's personal."

"Let me make you an appointment. Who should I say called?"

She sighed deeply. "An appointment. So that's what it's come down to. Fine... Make me a damn appointment."

I sensed this wasn't business. "She will be back tomorrow, who can I say called?"

"Just tell her Daley called and we need to talk. I can do tomorrow."

"Daley," I gasped. I could see the determination etched into her face.

"I'm sorry, Daley. I'm sure if she'd known you were coming in. She would have made time."

"I beg your pardon?" she said condescendingly. "You don't know me."

"You are Kiara's partner. I'm absolutely positive that if she knew you were coming in she would have made sure she was here and available."

"How the hell do you know that?"

"She mentioned your name to me."

"She told you about us?" she said, rolling her eyes back and then glaring at me.

"Yes, and I know she thinks the world of you."

"Oh please, you know nothing about me or Kiara. She cares more about this place than she does about me."

Seeing she was about to cry, I said, "Would you like to go somewhere private? We could chat a little."

Dabbing her eyes, she replied, "Yes, that would be nice."

I quickly gathered my purse and met her waiting by the elevators. There's a place just up the rise. The coffee's good there."

Sitting in the window table, we each collected our thoughts. I decided I should probably go first.

"Daley, I was with Kiara the night you broke up with her. I saw the devastation on her face. She cried for hours afterwards."

"You were there?" she said, curiosity and disbelief obvious on her features. "What were you doing in her room?"

"Preparing presentations for the next day. It was a big contract."

She glared back at me, only to be interrupted by the waitress delivering our coffee.

"She has never even contacted me since that night. No texts, no phone calls, Nothing. She ghosted me. Blocked me on all her social media sites."

"Daley, she was hurt, inconsolably crushed. I think she was most hurt because you did it over the phone."

She nodded, sighed deeply, replying, "I know, that was terrible. I wanted to go with her to Sydney, I asked her to take me. She gave me some bullshit about important clients and no time. After she left, I got madder, and madder. I admit it was petty, but I was angry."

"I get it. I'm not judging you or Kiara. All I am saying is she was distraught. She clearly has feelings for you."

"Why, what did she say?"

"She admitted it was her fault. She told me that there was a rift forming, and she was aware of it. She just didn't know what to do."

"Fuck, all she had to do was talk to me."

Sipping my latte, I replied, "I think she thinks the same thing. She said as much."

"Has she been seeing anybody else? Like you for instance..."

I frowned nastily. "No, she bloody well hasn't. She has been so busy with work, she has no time."

"How do you know?"

"I see what time she leaves the office every night. Believe me. She has no time for dating."

I took the chance to take in Daley. She was younger than Kiara. Her features were thin and angular, her nose very aquiline. Her eyebrows were severe, her hair shimmered, the blonde highlights streaked her short spiky do.

Her clothes fitted beautifully, her mid-thigh grey velour dress hugging all the right curves. Her eyes, though, they drew you in. An aura emitted from her, it embraced me, holding me tight.

"Talk to her, Daley, I know she cares for you. Be kind, tell her why you were angry."

She nodded. "What time should I come into the office tomorrow?"

"What about lunchtime? I'll make sure she's free, make an appointment for lunch."

"Fine, no worries. I can be there." She finished her coffee before standing, and replying. "Thank you Andrea. I will see you tomorrow."

"Good luck. I hope it works out for you."

Back in the office, I pondered Daley. She was a very attractive woman, she had a captivating presence. There was definitely something about her. She was definitely hard to miss, or ignore. It wasn't just her physical attractiveness, it was the allure she exuded.

I could see why Kiara was so bewitched by her. Although, since our return. Kiara didn't seem to be missing her. She had never mentioned Daley, but that could simply be embarrassment. She didn't handle the situation well.

Kiara walked in about five forty-five. "Hello, Andrea. Any messages?"

"I have made a lunch reservation for you for twelve thirty tomorrow."

She frowned. "Really, why?"

"Daley came to see you today."

I watched as her shoulders wilted, her smile disintegrating. "Daley..." She glanced around the office. "What did she want?" she snipped curtly.

"To talk to you. I said you wouldn't be back till tomorrow."

"So the lunch date is with her?"

I nodded. "Why in god's name did you do that, Andrea? You know how I feel about her."

"No, I don't. You haven't mentioned her since we got back from Sydney. I thought perhaps you might like to catch up, take the chance to talk to her."

"Well, I bloody well don't. She is the last person I want to talk to. I'm disappointed, Andrea. You had no right to do that."

Put firmly in my place, I felt contrite. "I'm sorry, Kiara. I thought you might appreciate a chance to tell her what you think. I had to do something. People were listening, staring. I was afraid she might make a scene."

"I suppose so. Damn it, you are right. We do need to talk, and I do have some things I want to say to her."

"I got the distinct impression she has considered your break up. I think she wants to get back together. She did say she misses you like crazy."

Cagivagurl
Cagivagurl
3,569 Followers