Strong Safety Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was embarrassed to have to shake my head no. I hadn't even thought about Alicia. I had been consumed with finding Lauren.

"Thank you for finding me and getting here so quickly. I want to check on Alicia if we can. Then please help me get my things ready to go home."

Fear, fear like I had felt the night before, clutched my guts and made me want to vomit. She was talking like we were friends but nothing more. I was dying but I couldn't and wouldn't let her down now. "Whatever you need, love."

She didn't smile. Her eyes were cold and emotionless. I excused myself from the room and went to the nurses' station to inquire about Alicia. She had been discharged a couple of hours before. I sent a quick text, hoping for a reply but not expecting one. I wasn't even sure she had her phone.

I arranged an Uber to take us back to their hotel. I hoped that Lauren's truck would be there. Her trailer and Tate were probably still at the arena unless one of her teammates had made other arrangements.

It took 35 minutes and a new Uber driver but we finally got away from the hospital. Darren and Samantha were livid. I told them we would be in touch as soon as we knew what we were doing next.

We made it to the hotel and found Lauren's truck but had no way to drive it without the keys. The police department had collected all of their belongings as evidence. I called Detective Sampson and asked about her keys. He arranged for a uniformed officer to drop off her purse and the keys. It was getting late in the evening and all she had eaten was some cereal. "You gettin' hungry?" I asked her.

"No, but I should probably try to eat something. We'll go eat and then see about Tate."

The food was a sandwich from a shop and was forgettable. I wasn't really hungry. Our conversation was nonexistent. I wasn't sure if she could feel the strain but it was crushing me.

"You ready, beautiful?" I asked as she wadded up her wrapper. She looked at me directly eyes. There was so much conflict in them. We walked out to her truck before she blurted out, "Please don't call me that. I don't feel beautiful. I feel like a cheap skank."

"Lauren, what you've been through and going through doesn't change how I see you or feel about you. You have been attacked and hurt but you have nothing to be ashamed of. You're the woman I love and you always will be."

"Liam, you don't have to say those things. You don't have to stay with me. If you're willing to still be my friend I would appreciate you just helping me get home and we can go our separate ways."

"Lauren, I am and will always be your friend. May I hold your hand?" She tentatively slid her right hand over. "I should have been more specific. May I hold your left hand?" Her tears welled up and she slid it over. I grasped it and kissed it gently. I looked at the tiny ring on her finger.

"You can have it back; I won't try and keep it." She said as the tears flowed. "Let go of my hand and I'll take it off!"

"Lauren it's a gift that will always be yours. I wanted you to look at it with me. It's a promise ring, Lauren. I made some promises when I accepted it from my Mom and when I gave it to you."

"Liam if she wants it back, I completely understand. It belongs in your family."

"So do you! I won't ever accept the return of that ring Lauren. It's one of my promises to her, to you, and myself. Lauren every promise I make, I make to myself before I share it with anyone else. When I chose to give you this" I said pointing to the ring, "I made a promise to make you my wife. I love you unconditionally and the only things that will keep me from keeping my promise is my death or your outright refusal to marry me."

She sat crying silently. I slid the seat back and pulled her into my arms. She didn't fight me and cuddled into me after a few seconds. I was trying to find something to let her know how much I loved her. I wasn't sure about anything but the way I felt about her. I began to hum quietly, then sang softly, "I can't count the times I almost said what's on my mind, But I didn't, And just the other day, I wrote down all the things I'd say But I couldn't, I just couldn't. Baby, I know that you've been wonderin' Mm, so here goes nothin' In case you didn't know Baby, I'm crazy 'bout you And I would be lyin' if I said That I could live this life without you Even though I don't tell you all the time You had my heart a long, long time ago In case you didn't know."

She lifted her eyes to meet mine and finally smiled. I swear the world finally tilted back to its correct axis. She whispered "You got all of me, I belong to you. Yeah, you're my everything."

We drove to the arena and found Tate properly cared for and a note with a phone number to set up a pick-up time. This reminded us that Lauren still didn't have a phone because they hadn't released it and I need to make a purchase. We found a 24-hour pharmacy that had a small selection of prepaid phones. I bought one of the cheapest for myself and one that was comparable to Lauren's that was locked up in evidence.

It was getting late and we were beyond exhausted. I found a hotel room for us and called Mom.

"We're at a Quality hotel right off the interstate. Room 178. What time do you think y'all will get here?" It was already pushing 11.

"We'll be in the parking lot in 10 minutes."

I got online and registered my new phone and helped Lauren download her online backup so she could call Alicia's mom. While we were waiting for the download to finish there was a knock on the door. Lauren immediately tensed up. "I check and make sure it's Mom before I open the door, sweetheart." I hit the call button on my phone and heard Mom's phone ring outside our door.

"Hey, Liam, it's us at the door. Sorry, I knocked before I thought about it."

I opened the door and found Mom and Poppee looking road weary. Mom gave me a quick hug and ran over to Lauren. Poppee pulled me into a longer, deeper hug. "It's okay my boy. Rob and I are going to make sure that we take care of everything while you take care of your girl. She's your only responsibility but you get her as much help as she needs. You let us take care of everything else. Did you get the phone yet?"

"Yes sir. It's registered at the post office address in Mobile. I picked Nick Machiavelli for a name."

The most sinister smile I had ever seen appeared on my grandfather's face. "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared," he quoted. "I'm glad you remember your fighting lessons."

"I wish I had remembered earlier. This whole mess is my fault. I didn't mean..."

"Liam, you can't take responsibility for someone else's actions. You can influence people but you can't make them do anything. The fault lies with those that attacked Lauren and they will pay in full." He interrupted.

I turned to see Mom holding Lauren while they both cried. "I'm going to get us a room. Hopefully one next door," Poppee said.

"Already taken care of," I said as I passed the keys in his direction.

"Thank you and good job," Poppee affirmed. "I'm going to go down and get the bags. You stay here and keep an eye on them. It's going to be a while before Miss Lauren feels safe. That's your job."

He was back in just a few minutes with clothes for everyone, including Lauren. I was so grateful for my Mom in that moment. Poppee went next door to get their room settled. I went and knelt in front of Lauren and Mom. "I'm going to take a quick shower and get ready for bed. Mom, will you stay with Lauren while I'm in there? Keep her safe for me?"

"Of course, sweetheart. Take as long as you need."

I was in the bathroom for 25 minutes but came out ready to hold Lauren as long as she needed me to. I had left my shirt hanging in the bathroom as was our routine. I wasn't sure if it would help her right now but I wanted to give her every comfort I could.

Lauren went in next and Mom grabbed me and held me for a moment. "I'm so sorry baby. I know that you're hurting too. It will get better with time but it's going to take a lot of it. Don't try to be too affectionate with her. Make yourself available but let her seek you out."

"Yes, ma'am, and thank you for everything. I love you."

"Don't thank me yet; the hard part is still coming. You need to prepare yourself. I love you too."

Mom left for her room with her dad leaving Lauren and me all alone. She came out a few minutes later. She was wearing my shirt and some sleep pants. "Did Amy leave?"

"Yeah, but she can come right back if you would like."

"It's okay, I guess we should try and get some sleep. Liam, can we switch sides tonight. I don't want to be beside the door."

"Of course, sweetheart. I'll do anything I can to make you comfortable."

I went to the right side of the king-sized bed and climbed in. I watched her climb in and move toward the middle. I moved toward her but didn't grab her or pull her into myself. "I'm here and will hold you, your hand, or just your heart but you'll have to let me know what you need. I love you, Lauren."

"Will you let me rest on your chest?"

"Of course my love." I lifted my arm for her to crawl in. She lay there against me but she was trembling. "I know you're scared baby. How can I help you?" I whispered.

"It's ridiculous," she whimpered.

"No, ridiculous was the time I let you convince me to jump on the back of a horse at a rodeo. There aren't any horses in here. Are there?"

She giggled. "I guess this is a little less crazy than that. Would it be okay to call Amy and have sleep next to me and for you to sleep next to the door?"

"Of course."

I let Mom in less than a minute later. She had brought the pillows and bedding from her double bed for me. I made a pallet on the floor with my feet pushed against the door while Mom climbed into bed with Lauren and held her like the scared young woman that she was.