Suburban Wife

Story Info
There and Back Again: remember to keep the flame alive.
12k words
4.25
61.3k
89
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
satindesires
satindesires
1,337 Followers

Paul and Jane had been married for 22 years; it wasn't all a bed of roses. Jane would complain about outstanding jobs and Paul spending so much time on his hobbies. Whereas Paul was often left bemused by Jane's endless ability to find things to buy for their home. But these were minor niggles in what was a long and very happy marriage.

At 45 Jane remained an attractive mature woman. She'd added only a few pounds over the years and it seemed to land in all the right places. She had been quite plain at school and struggled to find friendships and her own confidence. But many of the starlets from her youth who had given her a hard time were now looking decidedly frumpy. She worked as an Office Manager within a Government Department and was both competent and well respected.

Paul thought she was very pretty when they married but was now truly beautiful and elegant. Her secret was an absolutely outstanding body which seemed to enhance with age. She would be described as voluptuous, except most of her assets were hidden under rather prim and modest clothing. Paul kept himself fit, helped by working as a self-employed and energetic project manager. With sandy hair and at 5ft 10 he didn't stand out from the crowd, but he was immensely popular within a close group of long-standing friends.

They handled the empty nesting differently; Paul loved the free time rekindling all of his hobbies and delighting in the extra time available. He felt fitter and energised but worried for his wife, who missed the kids. It was more than just missing them; she described it as a void. Jane had an engaging personality and managed a healthy mix of family and social life, but with the kids away at college some of that lustre was slowly ebbing away. Paul tried everything he could think of to give his loyal and loving wife a boost. When trying to describe her situation to friends, the phrase which came to Jane's mind was 'a lack of purpose'. Jane felt more distant, and Paul wondered about the menopause or depression.

Paul encouraged Jane to start back at the gym, it helped a little. She never enjoyed it, but it passed the time, and she liked the results, toning up the slight jiggle that had begun on her lower stomach and bum. Paul thought the result were outstanding and encouraged Jane to show off some of her hard work and enjoy feeling fit; she deserved some new outfits. He hoped it would provide a much-needed confidence boost alongside his reassurance.

Jane seemed to be making more effort in her appearance and Paul hoped she was starting to turn a corner. The dark leggings and baggy tops were replaced by fitted skirts and silk blouses. Paul thought it all looked great on her newly toned body.

She continued her long standing night out with the girls which Paul encouraged. Jane didn't attract too many admirers when younger. She rarely got approached, her best friend Helen stole all of the attention in that regard. It seemed to happen more often these days but she was fairly adept at politely refusing any advances. Her friends were a nice group, Helen was recently separated but she was dating again and had a regular boyfriend who they discussed endlessly on the phone.

Jane usually returned happy, a little drunk and very talkative from the girl's nights out, it was nice to see some of the old Jane on those nights. Their sex life has slowed down some, but it was on these nights that something was most likely to happen. Jane was fairly conservative in bed and a drink helped her relax. She definitely made love rather than fucked, it was all about the connection and emotions for her. Paul lamented her lack of interest; they were both inexperienced when they married, and the initial spark seemed to finally subside with the arrival of children. Paul tried different approaches, being more assertive, romantic date nights, weekends away, different positions and locations, none of which received an enthusiastic response. Jane never objected saying it was all "good" but then she never took the lead either.

***

When Jane mentioned a house party at Helen's, Paul almost lept at it; any excuse to go out and have some fun would do Jane the world of good.

On the night of the party, they got ready and got a taxi over to Helen's. Paul thought Jane looked stunning in a close-fitting satin dress than accentuated her figure and he her told her so.

She smiled sweetly, "Thank you, I feel a bit self-conscious in the dress, but you've just made me feel good about it. That's a gift you have; making the people around you feel good, you're always so kind and understanding, I love you."

Paul liked Jane's reply, but it niggled a bit and echoed many he heard down the years. He was a nice guy; he was kind and caring etc etc. It held him back in his youth, often in the friend zone of a girl he really wanted to ask out. He felt it at times with Jane, he was sure she loved him, but did she really desire him and was he greedy to still want both after so many years together.

They arrived at Helen's, it was a nice place with plenty of space, there looked to be around 40 guests and a good atmosphere. Helen seemed slightly surprised to see them both.

"Hi Paul, it's good to see you, it's been a while."

She looked across at Jane who smiled and nodded.

"Good to see you to Helen, sorry to hear about your breakup but Jane said you're back out dating again."

"I am, let's do some introductions."

Helen introduced her boyfriend Nev, as they shook hands it was Jane who said she would like to introduce Paul to their friend Will. Will reached out a hand, he clearly worked out, Paul hated the handshake bullshit casually ignoring the tight squeeze. They made some small talk; Jane introduced some others and there were a few people Paul already knew. He got the impression some of the other friends were surprised to see Jane with a partner in tow. He guessed it was because they rarely attended each other's social events.

After an hour and with Paul settled chatting, Jane drifted off circulating between different groups. Paul noticed Jane chatting to Will and Nev, they formed a clique with Helen and a few others who went on the girl's nights out. Jane kept coming back and checking Paul was ok.

He noticed Will slide his arm around her back at she returned to their group. What surprised him most was that Helen didn't shrug it off initially until she glanced nervously across to Paul and moved away from Will's arm. Something felt off, he thought about leaving or confronting them but didn't want to create a scene, any accusation would look childish. He wondered if he could find out more and casually asked the people he was talking to if they knew Helen's group, but no one was very forth coming, although one woman thought they went out together in couples.

By the time he'd had a few conversations, collected another drink and tried to organise his jumbled thoughts, Jane wasn't there. Paul looked around the ground floor then set off for the garden. He had just about given up when he heard voices at the side of the house and followed the path around.

As he approached, Paul heard Helen clear her throat trying to voice a warning to Jane, "Jane... Jane, it's Paul!"

Paul couldn't believe it; Jane was kissing Will her arms wrapped around his shoulders. She pulled away from the kiss and looked at Helen who was nodding toward Paul with raised eyebrows and in some alarm.

Jane jumped, "Oh Paul, ermmm... sorry it was just a little kiss, maybe we had too much to drink."

Paul moved toward Will, but Jane stepped between them quickly, panicking at the sight of Paul's anger. They all hesitated, if Jane hadn't stepped in, he would have swung for Will. Maybe that was a good thing; the stark reality was the guy looked younger, stronger and fitter.

"I'm sorry Paul, it was nothing really. I guess we need to talk."

"No we don't!"

It was so surreal; he couldn't comprehend fully what was happening. He had to get out before he lost it completely and stormed away with Jane shouting after him.

Jane was distraught, that was not how the evening was supposed to go. She kicked herself for trying to snatch a quick kiss with Will.

Jane had been surprised when Helen's boyfriend Nev had brought Will along to a Thursday night out. He approached her and was absolutely charming. She wasn't used to so many compliments especially from a much younger and handsome man. He and Nev teamed up extolling the virtue of mature ladies. Will checked her out obviously and made no apology for it, it was all quite overwhelming. For the first time in her life, Jane was having thoughts and urges and wasn't sure if she could or wanted to control them. She still loved her husband, but Will was an intoxicating mystery. It was exciting to meet and interact with different, younger and exciting people. She found herself obsessing about Will; he invaded her thoughts constantly.

***

Paul and Jane sat at their kitchen table the following morning.

"I'm so sorry Paul, last night was a big mistake. Everything is really confusing and I can't think clearly. My time with friends has shown we can experience things with other people. Not everything has to be me and you; there can be different parts to our lives."

"There's nothing wrong with friends, but he appears to be your boyfriend, are you leaving me?"

"Don't be silly Paul he is not my boyfriend and I don't want to leave you at all. We sleep together every night, wake up together, spend our whole lives together."

"Except for when you are spending time with your boyfriend."

"I don't have a boyfriend Paul, don't keep saying that."

"Kissing, touching, what the fuck is he then?"

"He's a friend, that's all."

"Bullshit, that clearly wasn't the first time!"

Jane hesitated, trying to carefully pick her way through the conversation whilst trying to be truthful. She really did love Paul and they were destined to spend their life together.

"I don't think I was in a healthy place Paul and I want... no, I need to keep what has dragged me out of that mire. I need you and your constant support and some time with my friends."

Paul flinched at that, "You mean time with Will."

This was the problem; she knew it was wrong but she really wanted to keep seeing Will. She didn't want to hurt Paul or to lie to him, he deserved honestly.

"I'd like to continue spending time with that group, we're all great friends."

Paul seethed, "Will in particular I assume, you are way beyond friends, are you having an affair?"

"No, absolutely not, it is not an affair!"

"Well, I got the very distinct feeling that your other friends are well aware of your affair with this guy."

"Stop saying it's an affair, they see us together more than I am with you, that's all."

"I guess that says quite a lot in itself."

"He's a friend of Nev's and we spend time together. Once you get to know him you will like him."

"I have no intention of getting to know him, the man has no morals and is trying to seduce my wife. Sadly, he also seems to be succeeding, just how far has it gone?"

"Talking mostly, dancing."

"And kissing?"

"Yes, we've made out a few times ok, it's no big deal."

Paul glared at her, "It's big deal to me and you're in damage limitation mode. I'll assume it's far more than that, even if you haven't had sex yet that is where all of this is heading. Our marriage is hanging by a thread, and you seem determined to snap it. Are you in love with him?"

"What... no of course not! I guess there's something between us... an attraction. We like each other but are we're just good friends, nothing more."

"How often have you seen him, you looked very comfortable together?"

"Well, we go out as a group on Thursdays and... and I've had lunch with him."

"Jesus, you have been on actual dates with him?"

"No, it's just lunch, he's good company and it's flattering from a younger guy. I like him, and I have no idea why but he seems to like me."

"You've just described a date. And what was the introduction at the party about, was that intended to humiliate me."

"God no! I wanted you to meet him. I thought you would like him; he's a great guy and I've told him all about you. I thought we could all be friends, so it would ease any tensions or misunderstanding."

"Hold on a minute, you aren't expecting me to accept this are you? You have got to realise he will want more, it's obvious he wants to fuck you and it's becoming more obvious what you want."

"Your jumping way ahead, I'm nowhere near that. But if we both agree and it gets closer to that... would it be that bad? Honey, I don't want to be unkind, but you are slowing up a little and we haven't been able to find a solution to your performance issues. I'm sure we will, but some innocent fun with Will might help make things up."

Jane immediately knew she had made a horrible mistake; it looked like Paul was going to explode. She hadn't wanted to mention the intermittent erectile dysfunction but her 'just good friends line' was sounding weak even to her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean..."

"You bitch! So it is about sex and it's my fault. Well fuck you Jane!"

Paul slammed every door on the way out.

"Damn it all to hell", Jane shouted in frustration, telling herself she was an absolute idiot.

Did she even know what she was doing anymore? The kissing seemed natural; she wasn't intending for it to go any further but had managed to make it sound to Paul that he was going to be replaced in her bed. She was in big trouble, why on earth had she mentioned his performance. Paul had always been a fantastic lover, he had a few random episodes of not getting it up, but he made it up to her and their Dr was sure they could sort it out. If anything, it was she who hadn't made much effort sexually, after years of exhaustion with children they just never got back into the swing of things.

The realisation that her marriage was in difficulty came as a shock to Jane. Paul loved her and would always be there to support her... wouldn't he? She definitely loved him and cared for him as she always had. The thing with Will has just confusing, she was sure it would pass.

Paul felt like a complete failure, the idea of his wife moving on because he was unable to get the job done in the bedroom department was utterly shattering. He thought about moving out or a separation but concluded that would be the quickest way to ensure Jane jumped into bed with Will. How far had it gone? Making out seemed a weak reason to end a 22-year marriage, but he suspected it had gone further than that.

Then there were the kids and family to think about, how would they react? Thank God they were grown up; it would still hurt them though. For now, he decided the best action was to bide his time and hope Jane would come to her senses. He knew it was a crap plan with minimal chance of success, but he was a loss for what else to do.

Jane was desperately trying to find ways to resolve Paul's concerns without losing anything form her current lifestyle. She was being overly nice and constantly apologising about the party. But it was about to get worse, the next sticking point was the scheduled Thursday night out.

"Paul, I know Thursday will be difficult for you."

"Seriously! You're still going?"

"We're going out as a group of friends for a few drinks, that's all it is. Sharon mentioned a spare cinema ticket and I thought you might want to go with her rather than brooding."

"What are you doing Jane, trying to palm me off with our neighbour to ease your guilty conscience?"

"Don't be daft Paul, you're mine and only mine, but we can both have friendships with others and you two always have always gotten along really well."

Paul shook his head; he couldn't quite figure if Helen was oblivious or just didn't care. When he thought about it, it was he who put all the effort into the sexual side of their relationship. Maybe Jane loved him but just didn't fancy him, he pondered if you could move into a friend zone after 22 years of marriage.

When Thursday evening arrived, Jane toned down her outfit to a plain skirt and blouse but went on the night out. Kissing Paul goodbye and assuring him it was normal group night out and that nothing untoward would happen.

In the end Paul did go to the cinema with Sharon. They had been friends and neighbours with Sharon and her husband Mike for years, before Mike had died in a car accident.

Paul was surprised when he picked Sharon up, she looked really pretty in a summer dress and wedge sandals. Her shoulder length blonde hair was swept behind her ear on one side. The whole outfit had a natural easy feel which matched her personality. She blushed as Paul complimented her.

"Wow you scrub up well, you look angelic."

"Shut up you idiot!" came the reply as she punched his arm.

They enjoyed the cinema and went for a coffee afterwards. Paul was the perfect gentleman and Sharon was a fantastic sounding board to check he wasn't going insane. Thankfully she assured him that he wasn't but tried to play devil's advocate.

"I guess we both know how important her friends are, I can see why she wants those things."

"Yeah agreed, I never argued against friends, hobbies and nights out, supported them all actually."

"So, the sticking point is the relationship with Will."

"Partly, there are some other issues... disrespect, selfishness."

"But here we are man and women, friends in a 'relationship' and on a night out. Is it that much different?"

Paul laughed heartily, "Nice try Sharon and I'm sure that is exactly what Jane planned. But she has admitted it has gone beyond that. If we started making out then it would be a different kind of relationship."

Sharon smiled at the idea of making out with Paul; it was a very pleasant thought indeed. They chatted comfortably about less painful topics. Paul as ever asked about her and her family and listened intently at her responses. Despite his obvious anguish he was still quick to laugh and joke. She could only wonder at what Jane was up to, it all seemed so out of character. Jane was the kindest person she knew and had been so supportive after Mike had died. They agreed to meet the following week if Jane was out with her group again.

Jane's night went as planned, she vowed to keep her distance and calm everything down with Will, and she managed except for one dance when he managed to cut in. It went mostly to plan until he offered her a ride home. It seemed churlish to turn it down and she needed to explain the situation with Paul to him as well. That lasted all of 10 minutes before they were making out again.

Paul sat for what seemed an eternity at the kitchen table after returning from his night out with Sharon. He was on a third beer when Jane finally arrived home. She tried to maintain a happy breezy appearance, like nothing had happened.

"You're late back."

"Yeah, just a little."

"Who was out?"

"The usual crowd."

"You know what I am asking."

"Ok yes, Will was there but he stayed with Nev mostly."

"You might want to check social media before you lie anymore."

Jane quickly looked, shit! One of the girls must have taken a photo. She was in the background standing in front of Will; he had his arms around her pulling her into him.

"It was just the end of a dance with a friend."

"Well it's lovely for everyone to see that image of you and him, Thanks for that, it's not humiliating at all. And did that friend drop you off?"

"No, yes, shit." Jane took a breath and tried to calm down, "Yes Paul, Will did drop me off."

"You look very flushed; it must have been a long make out session."

"We were talking about us; I was telling him that we had to keep our distance."

"It's nice there are three of us in this relationship now; and what else did you do?"

Jane's head dropped, she started tearing up and getting emotional. "I love you. I am really sorry. I don't know what is going on with me!"

satindesires
satindesires
1,337 Followers