Sweet as Sugar Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Looking back on it, it was all so crazy, so surreal, Big had figured things out. The old coot had been spying on Ash and me for a while. He summonsed us during the event and had a meeting with us. He had pictures of Ash and me doing the dirty in the family's mountain chalet on New Year's Eve. Neither of us could believe it. Then he dropped the bombshell about Ashley being pregnant. That was so mind-blowing. It was so unreal. No movie would ever have such a scenario.

I got the shotgun engagement treatment with Jill. Jill was completely oblivious to the whole manipulated situation. She was just so happy with the whole surprise. On the night I expected to have Valentine's come full circle with my original Valentine, I was instead spending it with the woman I would be marrying instead. It wouldn't take long for Jill to realize that Ashley and I were much more than brother and sister.

*** The Present ***

At 35, I was pretty much set financially in my personal life. My grandfather had been successful and I had inherited much of what he had built. He was 80 years old and so he just came around to check things out now and then. He was no longer involved in the day-to-day operations of the firm. I made sure that we left his office in the same condition and my secretary took care of anything that he wanted to be done.

My secretary Beverly was top notch. I appreciated the support that she gave me. My grandfather had personally hired her for me when I came to work for the firm. I remember the meeting vividly. It was like another arranged marriage. He told us both our expectations and if we had any issues with one another that we were to come to him. In our one-on-one meeting on the subject, he told me that I was to take care of her and if I did she would have my back. That's the way it worked in the legal industry. Well, the old man was right again.

Now, Bev was a pretty platinum-blonde lady in her mid-40s. Back then she was in her early 30s and had a young family. Her boys were now teenagers and her husband was a bit of a nerd who ran a discount retail store for a small regional chain. I always got the sense that she didn't care much for him these days. She had told me about when she met him about 15 years ago. Things happen and here she was.

Beverly didn't have some highfalutin degree. She had gone to the local community college and then became a paralegal. She was great at all of the secretarial duties and she was loyal. She was never going to be a 'know it all.' I tried to make sure she was taken care of because she was a very valuable asset to the company. Fast forward to today, like any other Valentine's Day or other holidays, I bought her a bouquet of flowers, candy, and a gift certificate to one of the local bistros to show my appreciation of her.

It may have been Valentine's Day, but we still had court all day long. I planned to take my wife out to one of our favorite restaurants for the evening. I hadn't told her of my plans, but It was pretty much a foregone conclusion every Valentine's that this was the routine. Flowers were to be delivered to Jill's office at noon.

I had been awoken to a kiss from Jill this morning, "Honey, I have to head into work early today. I need you to drop Paige off at school. Is that ok?"

"Yeah, I guess. What time is it?" I questioned.

"6am," she spoke in a low voice as she continued moving around the bedroom getting ready.

Jill had left for work early that morning. She had a serious matter to attend to with a big client and she was anxious to be prepared for the day's events. I didn't say anything about my plans. I just figured that she would know that we were going to do something later.

I laid in bed until 6:30am. I've never been an early riser compared to my wife. I usually get up around 7am and make my way to the office before 9am. If anything, I typically work late, sometimes until 9pm if necessary.

I got up and read the paper and then took Paige to school. Paige always enjoyed it when I took her to school. It gave us some time to talk. She was still young so she talked about things she liked and plans she had involving school and her other extracurricular activities. She never talked about boys or anything like that. She was still a preteen and I was thankful that I didn't have to deal with those things yet. I dreaded the thought of when those days would come because I knew I'd be overprotective of her knowing what all I had been involved in myself.

Paige definitely had the genes of both families. I could see Jill and myself in her. She had my eyes, eye color, and cheekbones, but her mother's hair, nose, and chin. She was crazy athletic. You should see her doing gymnastics. She was amazing running and doing somersaults and other tumbling. That kid has boundless energy.

I knew she could get a scholarship to college if she continued applying herself. Mama and the grandparents thought so highly of her. She was the apple of their eye. She was also spoiled, but Jill raised her to be grateful for what she had. She was always involved in some sort of project to help the less fortunate and she got Daddy (me) to monetarily support those endeavors.

I dropped Paige off at school at 5 minutes 'til 8am. She'd be due in homeroom at 8am. I then headed to the office for a quick visit before making my way to the courthouse. At the courthouse, I met with other attorneys as well as my partners to negotiate some lesser matters and for a quick debrief into the most important cases. I would be tied up until lunch recess, and then I'd make a few phone calls before the afternoon session. This was Thursday and Friday would be a light day before the big day on Saturday for the Heart Ball.

Like I said, I would be in court all day. Besides the usual procedures, I had to try a couple of cases. That morning, what I expected to be a routine Estate case was being taken to trial by a family member looking to challenge the probated will. I wasn't going to get lunch. I'd be spending lunch with my client going over their case.

Most of the details of the case had pretty much been settled, but it involved a business and some other assets and the siblings were wrangling over the value of some of the assets and the implications that they had on the split of the inheritance. It is a tedious issue, but to the parties involved it is their life at stake, so you have to take it very seriously. The other attorney and I, with the consent of our clients and the judge, would get together with the business's accountants and come up with a schedule to divide the assets and bring them back to everyone as soon as possible.

Right on time at Noon, the Judge called for a recess. There were some of the other attorneys that wanted a moment of my time, including a couple of my partners. I begged them to give me 20 minutes so that I could go out to the car and make a couple of personal phone calls. The phone call part was the truth. I wanted to call Jill and let her know about that evening. I knew she would be at lunch too. We didn't usually call one another at lunch, but this was Valentine's.

I made the phone call, but Jill didn't answer. I left a message that I was free for the next 15 minutes, but then I would have to head back into the courthouse. I let her know that I had made plans for the night and that I would be home by 6pm. She never did call or text back and so I headed back into the courthouse. It was a little frustrating, but not that unusual. We both led pretty hectic lives with regard to this profession.

I met with everyone I needed to meet with and pretty much got my gameplan together for the afternoon session. The Judge got everything started right on time at 1pm. I waited patiently for the judge to address my next case. About an hour later, the case I was going to have to try began to go forward. It was a complicated case related to a business consolidation gone awry. My client, Bob Jenkins, was the plaintiff who felt that he wasn't given all of the relevant information to the business merger he had gotten into a year before. The company had lost a couple of million dollars during the year, and he wanted it dissolved without loss.

The defendant's attorney went through the minutia of the merger. I was honest with my client. I didn't think we could make him completely whole, but we were going to go through the trial and find out what we could hang our hat on. I truly understood where he was coming from, but he had taken the risk and signed on the bottom line without the complete diligence of understanding the position of the other company and knowing the current circumstances of that business sector, which had turned down. He understood and wanted me to do the best I could.

So the case dragged out through the next couple of hours until the Judge called a fifteen minute recess at 4pm with no end in sight for the case. After the recess, the Judge called us forward to the bench, Attorneys and Clients, and asked if we could settle. Both sides declined and so the judge said that we weren't going to meet on Friday, that there was still the opportunity to settle over the weekend and that was his suggestion. If we didn't settle, then make room on our calendars for Monday morning at 8am sharp and be prepared for a long day.

I spoke with my client for a few minutes and sent him on his way. Then I made my way over to the opposing attorney. Of course, we were familiar with one another, but he practiced near the State Capital. He was friendly and understanding and I learned that we were both in much the same predicament. We were going to follow our client's demands in this technical game of chicken.

We both promised to have conversations with our clients over the weekend. They were going to both have to understand that there was no way to avoid a haircut with their finances and it was better to go ahead, cut a deal, and move forward than to string it out on legal fees and wasted time. If the clients agreed we would draw up the business separation papers and be done with this by Monday morning. So I'd still have work to do over the weekend.

I turned on my phone and checked my calls on the way to my car. There was a call from Jill. I checked it. She had called around 2pm, "Jim, hate to spoil your plans. Ashley is here and she has gotten us a two-day treatment plan at the Spa up at Blue Mountain Resort. We will be back on Saturday. I'll call you ok. I told Paige that you would take her and JJ out to dinner tonight. You can use our reservations. I know they will like that. Ashley and I told them to dress nice and be on their best behavior.

To be honest, I was a little tired from the long day. I thought about the whole deal and taking the kids out wasn't a bad idea. I knew the ladies were going to the spa to get ready for the big night on Saturday and I could be patient. I was a bit anxious thinking about that event. I also liked the idea of spending a nice evening out with my children and then chilling out on Friday, going to the office until 2pm, and then preparing for Saturday evening and the Heart Ball at the Country Club.

-

I went by the office to drop off some paperwork and check my messages. After a couple of phone calls, it was right at 6pm and I knew that I needed to get over to the grandparent's house to pick up the kids, so I called over there and my mother answered. I let her know that I was on the way and would be there shortly.

Twenty minutes later I arrived at the grandparent's house and headed inside. I had also called Bongiorno's to see if it was okay if they could accommodate me a little earlier. My original reservations were for 8pm with Jill, but with the kids and it is a school night, I wanted to see if I could change the reservation to 7pm. The host checked and said they would be more than happy to change the reservation to 7pm.

When I walked into my Grandparent's house, the kids were sitting in the kitchen dinette area already. They were giddy with excitement about going to this dinner, "Looks like y'all are ready to go." I handed them both a box of chocolates and I had envelopes with cards and a crisp $100 bill inside.

"Thank you, Daddy," Paige chirped as she hugged me. "Thank you, Uncle Jim," JJ beamed as he came in to give me another hug. These two little rich kids acted so mannerly. Yeah, we spoiled them, but we also made sure that they acted appropriately and appreciated what they had. They both looked so fancy on this evening with Paige in her dainty red dress with embroidered hearts and JJ certainly looked spiffy in his brown vested suit. He looked like Minny Me.

"So the girls went on a visit to that Chateau Resort?" my mother asked an obviously rhetorical question.

"Yeah, it was a surprise to me," I responded with a smile. "I think they want to make a splash at the Heart Ball."

"Make a splash?" she snickered.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head at her coyness, "Mama, you know how you girls are."

"I guess... they sure have grown close. You'd think they were actually sisters."

"Well that's a good thing isn't it?" returning her leading question.

"Of course it is," she could say no different.

I took a seat in the rocking chair as the grandparents entered the room. Gramms spoke, "Hey Jim... Y'all have fun tonight and you kids be on your best behavior."

Big added looking to JJ sternly, "You remember Yes sir, yes ma'am, thank you, and your welcome," then he smiled... "and you hold the door open for the ladies."

JJ nodded back to Big with respect as I addressed the comment, "He always has Big. Don't worry JJ. He used to tell me the same thing before we went anywhere."

Of course, Little Paige, my mother, and Gramm's looked on with amused smiles, because the ladies never got these lectures. It was automatically assumed that they knew how to act in public.

We all sat around and made small talk. I asked Mom, "So what are your plans tonight?"

She smiled and returned, "Joe should be here any time. I have some steaks marinating for the four of us. He and Daddy are going to grill and Mother and I have gotten everything else prepared and then we are going to play rummy."

She then changed the subject, "John's (that is what she called JJ) bag and backpack are right over there."

I nodded, "OK." JJ was going to be spending the night with us on this night, so his clothes and accessories were ready for school the next day.

We sat around until 7pm and then the kids and I headed out. We were nearly halfway to the restaurant when I asked, "So, we're going to Bongiorno's. Paige has been before JJ. It's an Italian restaurant, but they offer more than Italian dishes.

They have steaks and seafood, but they fix them like they do in Italy. You can order whatever you want. OK?"

"Yes sir," JJ confirmed from the backseat of the car.

"What would you like to eat?" I asked Paige who was sitting in the passenger's seat beside me.

"Lasagna," she beamed. "I love Lasagna."

(Jim) -- "How about you JJ?"

(Mama) -- "Steak. I love steak," he matched Paige's effervescence.

(Jim) -- "Sounds good to me. I think I might have a steak too. I'll order some appetizers too."

The kids echoed, "That sounds great."

Bongiorno's Bistro had always been a favorite with the family. It's a nice little Italian place downtown. Their food was as authentically Italian as an American restaurant could be. The place has been in the family for three generations and they don't cheat the recipes. The food is always excellent.

The kids were electric with enthusiasm as we entered the center of the city. We pulled into a packed parking lot, which was to be expected on Valentine's night, I parked and got out of the car, and headed around to open Paige's door. JJ had already exited the backseat of the sedan and was ready to head inside. I asked the kids to stay close as I held my daughter's hand and we walked inside.

The night was brisk, but it wasn't too cold. The temperature hovered in the lower 50s as we climbed the steps of the neat art deco colonnade building in which the restaurant is located. As we entered, I handled the interaction with the hostess and told the young lady that we had a reservation. The hostess looked to the books saying, "... Yes sir Mr. Jameson if you will follow me."

The kids were exceptionally mature for children their age. Of course, they had their moments, but we had all dedicated ourselves to them to such a degree that we didn't have to worry about how they would act in these situations. We sat and chatted about their schoolwork and their plans for the upcoming weeks. I ordered shrimp cocktails and upgraded our bread to bruschetta. I had a nice glass of Chianti and ordered the kids a couple of virgin strawberry daiquiris.

Of course, the food was awesome. House salads accompanied the meal, Paige had her Lasagna, and JJ and I had this Italian style Filet Mignons. We took our time savoring our dinner and then I ordered dessert for us all to share, which consisted of the Bistro's famous Tiramisu, Crème Brulee, and a special layered strawberry Italian Cream Cake recommended by the waitress. I had a cup of coffee and cream with a shot of espresso to prepare for the drive home.

It was getting towards 9pm when we finished and the waitress brought us the bill. I handed her my credit card and in short order, she was back and we were ready to head home. On the way out, we stopped at the host stand so that the hostess could retrieve Paige's coat. The hostess helped her put it on and bundle up and then we made a quick exit towards the car, as the temperature had fallen precipitously over the past couple of hours.

The temperature inside the car wasn't much better than it was outside as I cranked the car and turned the heat on full blast. We were all shivering a bit, making comments about our predicament, as I pulled onto the road that would have us home in a few minutes. To be honest, I was pretty tired after the long day this had been. I was ready to get home, get the kids situated, and then crash for the evening.

Of course, we resumed our small talk during the short drive home. I gave the kids instructions on what I expected for the rest of the evening and the next morning. I wanted them to get ready for bed. I'd tuck them in and then I'd make sure they were up at 7am and I would take them to school. They both went to the same school.

The car was quiet, except for the low volume, random music playing over the car stereo as I pulled into the neighborhood. In my mind, I was contemplating what the girls were up to. A few moments later, we pulled into the driveway and I opened the garage door and pulled the BMW into its usual place.

As the car came to a rest, my brain acknowledged the kids opening their doors and getting out. A moment later I was exiting the driver's door and heading back to the car trunk where I pulled the lever to open the trunk and handed the kids their bags.

I helped JJ carry his duffle bag that had the clothes and accessories he would need for school the next day. Paige had already headed to and through the entrance of the house as JJ and I entered and headed up to Ash's old room. Ash's old room was now a guest room, but it was the room they always stayed in when they spent the night at the house.

I walked JJ's things into his room and laid them down and checked the room to make sure everything was in proper order. When I left the room, he was getting ready for bed. I knocked on Paige's door and when she responded I poked my head in her door, "You getting ready for bed?"

"Yes Daddy," she responded.

"Ok, I'll see you in the morning... I enjoyed tonight," I walked up and hugged her and kissed the top of her head. "Happy Valentine's."

"Thank You, Daddy," she offered.

I left her room saying, "Good Night." I then walked to JJ's room and poked my head in his door, "Got everything you need Champ?"

123456...8