Taking Care of Everything Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I owed you and Shelly a conversation way before we got to this point. I am sorry."

He interrupted. "We have been dearest friends, for the better part of thirty years. If it wasn't for you and Mary, I wouldn't have met Shelly and we sure as heck wouldn't be where we are today."

He went on to explain to me that though he was troubled at first, and though he wanted to be upset with me, he listened to his heart, his mind and his daughter, and over the past month has grown to accept our relationship.

I begged his forgiveness again and sadly explained to him that I was sorry that I had to run to the client and get to work as soon as possible and I hoped that Katy and I could come to Cleveland very soon so the four of us could sit down and have a good conversation.

Dave, in his infinite wisdom and words shared he was thrilled that I had called and was thrilled to hear that we wanted to come visit. We bid each other a good day, promising to get together soon, and then hung up.

I was slightly troubled by the fact I hadn't heard back from Jordan. It is not too far out of the ordinary, I was in a different time zone. As I finished breakfast and made my way to the client site, I called Katy and Jordan getting their voicemails and left a message for each. I called Margaret to give John a quick update, also leaving a voicemail.

We were ready to take a mid-morning coffee break when my phone pinged a text message from Katy. 'Call when you can, please. Important.'

I excused myself and stood from the meeting explaining something personal that needed my attention. I stepped outside and pressed the dial for Katy's number. She picked up on the first ring.

"Ken! It's Mike, he has been taken to the hospital. He collapsed at work. Jordan is on her way to be with him. I am leaving work to be with her."

"Okay let me see what I can do. I will text you. Katy, anything she needs. Do you hear me?"

"Of course Ken. I love you."

I made my way back into the meeting and asked the CIO if I could speak to him in private. Twenty minutes later and with personal reassurance that he could call me at any time; I called the airlines and changed my flight for the 6:30 that landed at BWI around midnight. I called the hotel and explained I would be checking out due to a family emergency and flying home tonight, they were most accommodating and understanding.

Damn Aless, I forgot to call or reply to her. I sent a text. 'Please book that new Allure ship Eastern and then Western Crown Loft Suite. Thanks Aless.'

I messaged Katy explaining my new flight information. I then called John. He felt I made the right decision as the implementation was going to smooth and we were able to check in as needed with the CIO. John was calling the CEO personally when we hung up.

***

At 2:00 p.m. I left the client headed towards the hotel to get my luggage, check out and head to the airport for the 6:30 pm flight to BWI. I had a bit of time to kill but there was nothing better to do. Getting through check-in, security and finding my gate, I continued to wander around finding a standard airport Americana food eating establishment.

I took a seat at the bar. I ordered a seasonal beer, some water and a sandwich. Taking my first sip, my cell phone rang. It was Katy.

"Hello?"

"Ken, Mike he is in the ICU and rapidly declining. He was awake for a bit but has signed a DNR."

I shook my head. "Poor Jordan. It's a direct flight landing around midnight. I will come right to the hospital. I will text you when I land." I paused, "Katy, please assure Jordan that we will take care of everything."

We chatted a bit more, my sandwich arrived and I hung up the call waiting on my flight.

The flight landed at BWI and as soon as it did I switched off airplane mode. I waited for the messages to load. There was one from Katy and John. Katy's message was simple, "Just come home he isn't suffering any longer."

John's message was of sympathy for Jordan. He himself was traveling and would be back Friday afternoon. He instructed me to work from home Thursday and Friday. I arrived home via a rideshare to find Katy and Jordan asleep on the couch, Katy holding Jordan. The floor was littered with tissues.

***

Katy left for work her normal time Thursday morning but the morning was a blur for me. I heard a soft knock on my office door around 10:30 and smelt the aroma of coffee. I stood and walked, opening the door. I wasn't surprised to see Jordan there but I was surprised to see she was dressed and had coffee for her and for me.

We sat for a bit, I just listened to her as she cried and just got stuff off her mind. She admitted she was waiting for the day that this would happen since it came back but it still hurt. She had something on her mind. I could 'see' her tap dancing around something.

I softly said, "Whatever it is, just ask."

She smiled. "It seems Mike planned so much in advance and I'm not aware of what he had done and set up. One of Mike's paralegal's sent a message this morning that he needed to meet with me to discuss the file and Mike's intentions."

I could see the frustration and sadness in her eyes. "The paralegal needs to meet today. I just don't." She started crying a bit.

"Have him come here this afternoon. I am here, I promised Mike."

It was just after 2:00 pm when the paralegal came by and met with Jordan. At her request I was present for the meeting. Over the next hour, Jordan learned just how much Mike took care of everything as well. She would never really need to work again. She was financially secure. The home they shared became hers mortgage free as his life insurance would not only cover that but so much more.

It was around 4:30 when the paralegal departed.

Katy came home later that evening. The two of them spoke in private for a bit then came out letting me know that she was taking Jordan to her house for a few things but would be back later. I wasn't surprised when Jordan and Katy both returned for dinner. We had a light dinner and sat outside just being together, not many words were spoken.

Around 8:30 that night, I had Katy walk Jordan up to the spare bedroom and helped her get into bed. An hour later, Katy and I went to sleep. At some point in the middle of the night, Jordan joined us in bed sleeping next to Katy seeking comfort to her tears and sorrow.

I woke Friday morning and went for a long run anticipating that I would work from home. When I finished the run and walked into the house, I sensed something was different. I walked into the kitchen seeing Katy and Jordan both dressed for work. I was slightly taken aback.

Jordan was the first to speak. "Okay enough is enough. You two have taken care of so much; it is time to get on with my life. It is what he instructed me and frankly, both of you to do." She paused.

"Ken, go shower and let's get to work. You have a busy week next week and I have some personal things to attend to tomorrow."

And that is what I did. Katy kissed me as she left for work. I got ready and had Jordan ride with me to work as if this was a normal day.

I allowed her this. It is what she wanted. As I promised Mike, I would take care of her and everything.

***

I hope you enjoyed chapter 9. Chapter 10, the conclusion, is in progress and will be published soon.

All my,

Aoife