The Argive Ch. 086-090

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're a very sweet man, Your Majesty," said Zenais with a bow of the head. "Perhaps you might teach Praxis a few tricks before we leave?"

Praxis elbowed her gently. "What are you trying to say?"

Nicomedes started to laugh. "I'd say there's not much I'd have to teach him in that regard. He seems to be doing all right for himself by the looks of you two. I am grateful to have you here at my table tonight. It's been too long since we've dined with anyone."

"It hasn't been the same since Mother died," added Phaedra. "It's been almost two years and we still miss her very much."

Nicomedes nodded solemnly. "Phaedra is right. This palace hasn't seen real happiness in far too long. That's why we'll take visitors whenever we can get them. Especially visitors from abroad." With those words, Nicomedes turned to look at Praxis. "My daughter tells me you're from Argos?"

"That's right," replied Praxis. "We only just arrived in the city after a short jaunt through Arcadia."

"Arcadia is a wild country these days," replied Nicomedes. "You made it through without being harmed?"

Praxis started to chuckle. "We had a few... adventures along the way. Nothing that we couldn't handle, even if it got dicey a few times."

Nicomedes grinned. "You seem like the strong sort of man, Praxis. The world needs more men like you. It seems we're running short of them, or perhaps they've all gone to the other side."

Praxis grunted. "The Spartans seem to have no shortage of strong men. I've seen firsthand what they could do in Argos."

"And unfortunately, they seem to have the upper hand," replied Nicomedes. "Is that what brings you here to Messene?"

"That's part of the reason. The other part is that I'm looking for my father."

Nicomedes gave him a curious look. "Your father? Interesting."

"Why is that interesting?"

"I don't see many young men going on adventures to find their own father," replied Nicomedes. "Especially with the turmoil that now exists in the world."

"I think it was that turmoil that allowed me to get away and finally find him," explained Praxis. "I can't go back to Argos how it is. I might as well take up this quest now while I'm able."

"Hmm," grunted Nicomedes as he nodded his head for several moments. He looked at Praxis again, studying him. "How old are you, Praxis? If you don't mind me asking? I'd guess around twenty or so?"

"Exactly twenty, good guess," replied Praxis. "Why do you ask?"

He shook his head nonchalantly. "No reason. I was just curious. I suppose this kind of journey is a younger man's game. Especially if you've never gotten those answers before. I can understand your situation."

"Let me ask you something then," replied Praxis. "All I know about my father is that he came from Messene. He took over as king of Argos when he was still a young man but he left the city after only a few short years, leaving his wife and child behind. I know that his name was Evander, and I'm fairly certain he came back to Messene. Do you know of any such men?"

"Evander, you say?" asked Nicomedes as he rubbed his chin in thought. "I'm sorry, I haven't heard a name like that in a long time."

Praxis grimaced. "I was afraid of that. I've talked with a good deal of people in the city, and I always get the same response. I'm starting to think he never came back to Messene. That or he never existed at all."

To Praxis' surprise, Nicomedes reached over and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You should never stop searching though. I'm sure that wherever your father is now, he would be happy to know that you're searching for him. I hope the gods will permit your reunion one day."

"I hope so too," mumbled Praxis. "Thank you for that."

Nicomedes removed his hand as they started to eat. Just to his right, the three women were already talking up a storm and enjoying themselves, which made Praxis thankful that he brought them. Turning back toward the king though, Praxis could see that he was pensive, almost like he was waging an internal war within himself. Just by watching his eyes, Praxis could tell the king wanted to say something but he wasn't sure if he should.

Finally, Praxis had to comment.

"You look like you have something on the tip of your tongue," noted Praxis in a friendly manner.

Nicomedes looked at him and sighed. "Yes, yes, I do. You know, Praxis, I might not be able to help you with your father. But would it surprise you to know that I once knew King Damian? And I must certainly know your mother, Doris."

Chapter 90: Tales of the Past

Praxis didn't know what to say as he stared back at the Messenian king.

"You knew my mother?" he asked. "You knew Doris?"

Nicomedes smiled and nodded. "A long time ago. It's been a number of years. I understand that Damian is now dead though, and that your brother has the throne?"

"Stepbrother," corrected Praxis. "But yes, you are correct. How did you know my mother?"

"I've been to Argos a time or two when I was younger," replied Nicomedes. "I always liked the city, and on one of my first visits there, I met Doris. Doris is an amazing woman. She was always full of life and happiness. It was hard to be upset around Doris."

Praxis smiled. "You're right about that. She was a great woman. And a wonderful mother. Sometimes I wonder how she did it, especially after my father left. I once had a brother but he died around the same time my father left. I've always admired the way she picked up what remained of the family and carried on."

"That sounds like the Doris I knew," replied Nicomedes. "She's made of a very strong spirit."

"Was made," replied Praxis. "Unfortunately, she died not long before Damian did."

Nicomedes took that news surprisingly hard. His head fell and it was several moments before he looked at Praxis again. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"You can say it was her death that finally allowed me to leave Argos," replied Praxis. "The only family I have left in the world is my father, wherever he is."

"I take it you are estranged from your stepbrother then? Xanthos is his name, right?"

Praxis nodded. "The next time I see him, I will kill him. Xanthos was the one that orchestrated the occupation of Argos in order to put himself in power."

"I see," remarked Nicomedes. "And with the fall of Argos came the fall of Corinth. The strategic situation on the Peloponnese turns against us."

"I've noticed that everyone I talk to cowers in fear of the Spartans," said Praxis. "They fear what they might do next. Many here in Messene are frightened that they will go to war with you next."

A painful look appeared on Nicomedes' face. "They will come eventually. I have no doubt about that. I've been training and expanding my army as much as possible for that day because I know King Nikandros won't rest forever. He will have Messene even if it kills him."

"He must not get it," vowed Praxis.

"Would it surprise you to know that he is coming here as we speak?" asked Nicomedes. "Nikandros of Sparta is on his way to Messene right now."

Praxis' eyes went wide. "With his army?"

Nicomedes shook his head. "No. Not yet anyway. I suspect he's going to try to dictate to me though. He's going to tell me how Messenia is now alone on the Peloponnese and that I'm better off surrendering to his control before he has to resort to war."

"Ah, we received the very same message," replied Praxis. "My stepfather turned them down."

"And you can see what happened to him," grumbled Nicomedes. "At one time, I was willing to suffer under the delusion that Messenia could be a neutral power. That if we minded our own affairs, we could stay out of war. The lessons of Corinth and Argos aren't lost on me. If I could do things over again, I would have allied with both cities and started the war with Sparta already. At least then we would have had a fighting chance. But alas, there are many things in my life I wish I could do over again. Many of those things I'll never have the chance to fix."

Nicomedes took a deep breath before he continued. "There is no option for peace which is why I'm taking the extra time to prepare my army. We won't be idle while he's here under the farce of negotiating."

"Why not just take him when he gets here?" asked Praxis. "If he's coming to make war, why not just capture him when he arrives?"

"I've thought about that," replied Nicomedes. "But I think that would make our situation worse. If we captured Nikandros, then the other Spartan king would lead an army to Messene in vengeance. They would level the city in their attempt to free him. We would have no chance against the combined might of the Peloponnese."

"Do you have any chance against Nikandros and the Spartans alone?" asked Praxis. "How strong is your army?"

"Two thousand men and growing," answered Nicomedes. "We might not have the numbers that the Spartans do but they will be well-trained when they take the field. My only hope at keeping Messenia free is to beat the Spartans on the battlefield."

"But can you win?" pressed Praxis. "Can you beat them?"

Nicomedes took a deep breath. "Under the current circumstances? No. That's why I need more time to enlarge my army. If I had a few more months, I could match them in terms of numbers and training. It would be ruinously expensive but at least Messene would be free. But if they attack tomorrow, I don't think we can win."

"Messene must not fall," said Praxis. "Like you've already said, you're the last free city in the Peloponnese. If you fall, then there is no hope of freedom for any of us. That also means I'll never be able to go back to my city either."

"I need all the help I can get," admitted Nicomedes. "My men have good spirit in them but they need more training. They need someone who has an experienced hand with fighting. Someone who can build up their confidence to take down the Spartans. If I had a great warrior to help me train, Messene just might stand a chance."

It was listening to that statement that produced a split-second decision on Praxis' part.

"What if I could offer you such help?" said Praxis. "What if I trained your army?"

Nicomedes looked at him curiously. "You would do that?"

"It's the same position I had with the Argive army before the fall of the city," answered Praxis. "I have considerable skill with a sword and shield. I had a group of men, no more than a hundred, that we called the Elites. They were the best in the whole city, and they were leaders on the battlefield. They were accountable to me."

Nicomedes seemed to definitely consider that offer. "You wouldn't have any trouble with the fact that they aren't your own people?"

Praxis shook his head. "Not at all. The way I see it, you are the last free people on the Peloponnese. I would gladly train them if it brings them victory. Your victories would hasten the freedom of my own city."

"They will need all the help they can get," replied Nicomedes. "Their freedom hangs in the balance. I won't run from this coming conflict but we're not powerful enough to stand on our own without a few friends."

Praxis grinned. "Then let me be that friend. And I won't let you down."

Nicomedes started to smile. "I accept your offer but on two conditions. Are you ready to hear them?"

"Sure, what are they?"

"The first is that you come stay here at the palace with me," replied Nicomedes. "If you're going to be helping to train my army, you should have the best accommodations I can offer. Besides, I think your women are getting along famously with my daughter."

The king pointed to the other side of the table, where Lysandra, Zenais, and Phaedra were still deeply occupied in conversation, so much that they hadn't heard a word of what Praxis and Nicomedes had been discussing.

"I think that's a good idea," said Praxis, chuckling. "They do seem to like each other. And we'd be grateful for the chance to stay here."

"This palace needs happiness once more," said Nicomedes soberly. "It hasn't seen it since my wife died. It will be good to have young people around, especially friends for Phaedra."

"I can agree to that condition then. What is your other one?" asked Praxis.

Nicomedes gave him a shrewd look. "If you help to train my army, I will help you find your father."

Praxis hadn't been expecting that. "Even without any leads?"

The king nodded. "You are doing me a great service by offering your help. The least I can do is offer to help your quest as well. We will find Evander. This much I promise you if you decide to help me."

Praxis offered his hand across the table and grinned. "You have yourself a deal then."

Nicomedes took his hand carefully and shook it. Even from just his short time of knowing the Messenian king, Praxis found that he liked him. He seemed like a good man, one that was honest about the threats in front of him but pragmatic enough to try to hold them at bay.

Nicomedes would make a fine ally.

"You are the first outside ally that Messenia has had in generations," said Nicomedes. "It is my fault for not looking for them sooner but I'm grateful that you've decided to help us. Maybe with your aid, Messenia won't fall to the Spartans."

"I'll do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen," vowed Praxis.

They continued to talk for the next hour, mostly touching on light subjects like the details of their lives. Nicomedes was surprisingly easy to talk to and Praxis found that the king had his own series of adventures when he was younger as well.

"I've always said that's the last time I'll ever go to Achaea," joked Nicomedes after telling a story that involved an angry merchant, his young daughter, and a basket of goat excrement.

Praxis howled with laughter. "Yes, I can see why. I don't think I'd be in a hurry to go back either."

The night was getting late and they'd all been reduced to just a single cup of wine when Praxis thought to excuse himself.

"We should probably be getting back," he announced. "It's too late to move our things over here tonight but perhaps first thing in the morning if that works for you?"

Nicomedes nodded. "Absolutely. That would be fine with us, right, Phaedra?"

Phaedra nodded eagerly, having been filled in on the details of the deal just a short bit ago. "That sounds great. We're looking forward to having some company here in the drab palace."

"Phaedra," said her father in a low voice. "It's not that drab."

"It really is, Father. It needs more people here to spruce up the atmosphere. It's too dark and dead with just us here."

Nicomedes seemed to concede the point and didn't argue it anymore. Besides, Phaedra was right. The place needed it to be a little more lively.

Everyone exchanged goodbyes as Praxis, Lysandra, and Zenais left the palace.

"I really liked them," said Lysandra once they were walking home. "Phaedra is a sweet girl and also very smart for her age. And Nicomedes seems like a very kind man."

"A kind man with his back against the wall," added Praxis. "He needs all the help he can get right now. He won't be able to stand on his own."

"That's why he has you now, Praxis," noted Zenais. "What you did was a very brave and kind thing, offering to help. I'm sure with your skills, you could be a great benefit to this city."

Praxis pursed his lips. "I hope so. I wasn't exactly able to save Argos though, was I?"

"No, maybe not," replied Lysandra. "But it might have been worse if you hadn't been there. With you and the Elites fighting the Spartans, you allowed countless innocents the ability to get out of the city. Who knows what might have happened to them if you hadn't given them that window?"

"I just don't want to see that happen here in Messene," said Praxis once they arrived back at the house. "Messene is the last place we have left. We can't let this city fall."

"We won't," said Zenais proudly. "As long as we're here, Nicomedes has a fighting chance."

Praxis could only nod his head in agreement. He would do everything in his power to save the city.

Even if that meant giving his life to see it happen.