The Backbone of Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Troy knew that irreparable damage had been done. He didn't know what to say, so he remained silent and merely nodded. The young man steered his electric wheelchair next to his hospital bed. Once it was in the correct position, he switched the power off. Anika stood before him, placed her hands on her husband, and squatted.

Then, in precisely the way the physical and occupational therapists had instructed her, the woman transferred her husband back to bed, where she began the unenviable task of undressing his lower body, removing his soiled disposable briefs, and cleaning his bowel incontinence.

******************************************************************************

Ben showed up an hour later. The timing was peculiar, and Troy suspected that his wife must've called him. It made sense. After all, Ben frequently visited. More significantly, however, was the fact that Troy noticed that his wife and best friend had become noticeably closer since his accident. That, too, made sense. After all, they were dear friends to begin with, and he figured that Anika was venting to Ben just like he often did.

Troy was seated in his powerchair in the living room when Ben entered. "Hey, dude."

"Hey, Riley."

Ben held up the 6-pack of beer that he was carrying. "This is going against my better judgment, but I feel like you can use a drink."

"Could I ever."

Ben sat next to his friend and handed him a can. Together, they guzzled their beer. "You ok, man?"

"Did Ani tell you what happened?"

"I think I caught the gist of it," he replied deprecatingly.

"I'm such an asshole."

"I'm not going to pretend that I can relate to what you and Anika are going through. I do know, however, that you're lucky to be alive, and that everyone who cares about you, including me, is happy that you're still with us."

"Thanks, Riley."

"I don't mean to state the obvious, Troy, but you're also damn lucky to have Anika in your life. Again, I can't comprehend being in your shoes right now, but don't push her away."

"I know. Ani does so much for me without complaining, and it's starting to wear her out. I mean, look at her, Riley. She's so thin and pale. She doesn't work out or run anymore. She hasn't hung out with her girlfriends since I came home even though I keep telling her to. I hate being a burden to her."

"Dude, Anika does not see you as a burden. You know that."

But the paraplegic young man continued as if he hadn't heard Ben. "She deserves so much more than I can give her now." He laughed humorously. "She's always deserved more than me." He looked helplessly at his best friend. "Anika wants children, Riley."

"Anika loves you, no matter what. She loves you whether you can walk or have children... whether you can sing or dance or figure out how to end world hunger. She will never love you any less because of what happened."

Troy studied his best friend. Ben was so passionate, without realizing it, when he spoke about Anika, that his love for her practically oozed from his words. With a strange sinking feeling, Troy realized that if anything were to happen to him, his best friend would take care of Anika without hesitation.

That gave the paralyzed young man a crazy idea...

Anika entered the living room, then stopped abruptly when she noticed that the two friends were clearly having a deep discussion. "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."

"No, not at all, Ani. Come join us."

Anika sat next to Ben on the sofa across from her husband.

Their friend held up a can. "Warm beer?" he offered.

Anika laughed. "Sure!"

After he popped opened her can and handed it to her, Ben raised his in a toast. "To friends, family, and health."

The trio tapped their cans together and drank.

After a brief silence, Troy spoke. "You know, I was just thinking..." There was a strange inflection in his tone that made Anika and Ben glance at each other. "Ani, haven't done anything fun since I've been home. I appreciate all that you do for me, but you need a break."

"Babe, I'm fine."

"I want you to do something fun. You deserve it." He then looked at his best friend. "Riley, I was wondering if you might take Ani out sometime. To dinner... a movie... it doesn't matter. Whatever she wants to do." He looked back at his wife. "I'm grateful for everything you do for me, Ani. But I don't want you to burn out. I want you to live a little."

Anika had only recently returned to work. It was a nice change now that Troy could do more for himself so that she didn't need to be his constant caregiver. But she still felt uneasy about leaving her husband home for long periods of time. The woman didn't just fear that he could accidently fall out of his powerchair; she loved Troy so much that she felt the need to be available as much as possible.

But going out did sound like SO much fun.

Anika abruptly realized that the men when staring at her wistful expression, and immediately felt embarrassed. "It's very kind of you to offer, babe, but it's ok."

"Sorry, Ani, but I'm going to insist."

She looked at her husband in amusement. "Oh really?"

"Yes, really."

Anika turned to Ben, who was literally and figuratively caught in the middle of his two dearest friends. "And what do you have to say about this?

Ben was actually sweating as he looked from one solemn face to another. He was completely caught off guard by Troy's suggestion, but the idea of taking Anika out for some much-needed fun excited him. He sorely wanted to spend time with her. But as he looked at Troy, the injured man was regarding him intently.

Oh god... he knows... he knows I'm in love with Anika...

However, Troy did not need to speak; instead, a barely perceptible nod and a look of understanding conveyed everything that Ben needed to know.

And when Ben turned back to Anika, she was doing her best to keep her expression neutral, but the desperation that she was trying to hide from her husband was evident. She needed a break, but didn't know how to ask... would not ask... for one. Ben wanted to reach out and comfort her.

In the end, the young man reasoned that he'd be helping out both friends who were in need.

"Sure, dude. I'd be honored to take your old lady out sometime." Anika laughed and slapped at him good-naturedly. "But where to?"

"Ani loves to dance."

"I love to dance!"

"Um... yea...uh, I don't dance."

First the first time in a long time, Troy's wife and best friend saw him smile. "Well, then, Riley, I guess Ani is going to have to teach you."

******************************************************************************

Ben was grateful that he was wearing jeans when he went to pick up Anika, because the heavy denim prevented the fabric from tenting. The pretty blonde was a heavenly vision when she appeared wearing skintight little black dress. The outfit was shoulder-less and sleeveless and, combined with the way Anika wore her long hair wound up in a chic bun, accentuated her sleek neck and shoulders. The dress also didn't reach even halfway down her obscenely long legs and rose dangerously high up her thighs.

Anika didn't have time or the energy to work out at the gym regularly, as was her routine, in the early days of Troy's injury. But bringing her husband home and eventually returning to work had given her a slight sense of normalcy, and now that Troy was more functional and able to take more care of himself, the young woman was able to shift some focus on her personal health again. There was still much anger and frustration in her household, but things slowly were getting better.

Anika was the first to admit that she was still out of shape--- by her lofty standards, anyway--- but to Ben, she was a perfect as ever. Her arms and legs were toned, the bags under her eyes were no longer noticeable, and her skin had regained its healthy complexion. But it was her face that her friend was engrossed by, as usual.

Anika was smiling again, and that made her as beautiful as ever.

That wasn't to say that Ben didn't gawk at the rest of her body. Especially in her current form-fitting skimpy black address, Anika's womanly curves were at their finest. As Ben stared at her hips and bottom, he was fairly certain that she wasn't wearing any underwear! And while the outfit already presented a blatant view of her cleavage, there was also a strategic slit in the material so that there was a slight glimpse of the underside of her breasts.

My god, Ben thought lustfully.

Anika's expression was casual as she approached. "How do I look?"

Ben had to reign in his thoughts--- and hormones--- so he replied lamely, "You look, uh, like you're ready to go out and dance." He looked down at the t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers that he was wearing. "Um, should I go home and change?"

"You look fine, but we need to at least fix your hair."

Ben was about to brush it aside himself when Anika did it for him. It was an endearing, almost romantic gesture, that made him flush. His friend was standing close to him now, almost chest to chest, and they were close enough in height that they were suddenly staring into each other's eyes. For a moment, they froze.

The sound of heavy wheels interrupted the moment, however, and they instantly stepped away from each other.

Troy rolled into the room on his powerchair.

"Hey, man."

"Hey, Riley. Thank again for taking Anika out tonight."

"Of course."

Anika went over to her husband and hugged him lovingly, and Ben had to look away.

Troy noticed his friend's anguish, but didn't comment.

"Babe, are you sure you'll be ok?"

"It's not like I haven't been alone since I've come home from the hospital."

"I know, but that's only been during the day. Never this late."

"I'll be fine. I'll keep my cellphone on me, just in case. And if I get tired, I'll just scoot myself into bed."

It was only fairly recently, with the continued help from home health therapy, that Troy was finally able to transfer himself between bed and wheelchair. And though he still needed maximal assistance with lower body self-care, any improvement in his overall function was to be celebrated. But Anika was still concerned.

"Troy, I won't be out that late. Wait for me or, better yet, text me if you want to go to bed. I'll come back."

"Ani, I'll be fine! Please, just go and have fun." Troy poked his head around his wife to look at his friend. "Riley, will you please get Ani out of here?"

Anika suddenly felt guilty and uncomfortable about leaving her handicapped husband at home, and it took much convincing from his part before she finally relented. And as much as Ben wanted to spend time with Anika, he remained silent as the couple bickered. Yes, he wanted to spend time with Anika, but he was doing this for Troy, too, and out of friendship for both of them.

Troy watched as his wife eventually departed with his best friend. He was happy. Anika had clearly been burnt out for a while no and, aside from himself, no person would take better care of her than Riley.

But happiness soon turned to misgiving as the gravity of the situation dawned on Troy. He told himself that it was for the best, and that Anika's happiness and well-being were all that mattered. But even then, the young man began to wonder if he was doing the right thing.

Fear, regret, and jealousy started to take hold, but it was already too late to stop what he had set in motion.

******************************************************************************

Ben tried not to stare at his gorgeous friend as she danced before him. They had been sitting at a table, talking, laughing, and drinking, and it made the world seem perfect. The only time he was pulled out of them moment was when Anika dropped everything to check in on Troy. She was texting him nearly every half hour, and calling him when he didn't respond in a timely fashion. But Ben understood. She was a dedicated wife who loved her husband dearly.

Ben sighed wistfully; it was so hard not to be jealous of his best friend.

Anika suddenly squealed in delight as a new tune began playing overhead. "This is my favorite song!"

Without waiting for a response, she sprung to her feet, grabbed her companion's arm, and towed him onto the crowded dancefloor.              

Anika's lithe body gyrated to the heavy bass, and the way the fabric of her already snug dress stretched even more tautly over her shapely body... the way her hands weaved hypnotically overhead to the music... kept Ben rooted in place.

He tried not to stare but couldn't help himself.

"You're allowed to move a little, you know," the woman teased. She could feel Ben's hot eyes on her when he thought she didn't notice, and it strangely made her feel proud and alive. Anika was aware that it was mainly the alcohol that was making her feel so bold, but she welcomed his eyes on her cleavage and bottom.

It made her feel sexier and more alive than she had in a long time.

Ben blushed boyishly. Once Anika started to drink, he made it a point not to. After all, he had to make sure that she got home safely. "Sorry, Anika. I hate to tell you, but you're out dancing with a guy who has no sense of rhythm."

The pretty blonde snorted. "You're even worse than Troy! I guess my husband was right... I will have to teach you!"

Anika took his hand again, and rolled into him without warning, wrapping Ben's arm around her waist in the process so that her bottom was pressed into his crotch.

The effect was immediate. "Whoa," the young man breathed.

Anika grinded her bottom into her friend, and averted her face to hide her smile as she felt something hard pinned against her vertical crease. Even through their clothes, Ben's erection felt considerable. She rubbed him in an up-and-down motion, gliding her ass against the underside of his erection.

Anika could feel him stiffen.

She could feel his hot breath on her neck.

She could feel how quickly Ben's heart was fluttering.

Anika feared that he might let go, so she latched onto his arm with both hands.

A split second later, Anika felt Ben's other hand land gently on her hip.

Ben couldn't believe what was happening; he had longed for it, but still couldn't believe it. Anika's luscious body was so warm and firm. Her ass felt electric, so much that he was tempted to dry hump her on the dancefloor in front of all these people! Instead, he leaned in, brushing his nose against her hair and inhaling its intoxicating scent. Ben then traced his nose down her neck, very lightly so that it resembled the touch of a feather, until he reached her shoulder.

Anika suddenly giggled girlishly. "Hey! That tickles!"

Her laughter was endearing and so sexy, and when she squirmed reflexively, Ben found himself wrapping both arms around her more tightly so she couldn't escape. "You smell so good, Anika... you feel so good."

The woman suddenly spun in his embrace so that they were closely face to face. They stared intently into each other's eyes, finally acknowledging, without words, their long history of sexual tension. Their gaze and breath were hot on each other.

Ben's burgeoning erection pressed into Anika.

Anika's voluptuous breasts were mashed against Ben's chest.

This was their moment, at last!

But the pair's reaction was simultaneous: they let go of each other and backed away.

They spoke at the same time.

"I'm sorry, Anika. I didn't mean to---"

"I'm sorry, Ben. I shouldn't have---"

They stopped and chuckled awkwardly.

Anika apologized again. "I'm so sorry, Ben. I say and do stupid things when I drink too much."

"And I say and do stupid things even when I don't drink!"

The comment made Anika laugh again. But when she looked at him once more, Ben could see hope visibly draining from her. The vivacity and spunkiness that Anika had been displaying all night had abruptly been snuffed out. There was hurt and disappointment in her eyes, even if they were well aware that their feelings for each other were wrong.

Ben immediately felt his heart break. The last thing he wanted to do was disappoint the woman he loved. In a moment of anguish, the young man wanted to be everything that Anika wanted and needed at that precise moment. He opened his mouth, but couldn't speak.

"Ben, can we just pretend that none of this ever happened?"

It was his turn to suffer bitter disappointment, but he faked a smile. "Of course. I... don't what came over me back there. Are we, um, cool?"

Anika hugged her friend. It was meant to be a grateful and innocent gesture, but it only made Ben ache for her even more. "Of course."

Ben suddenly couldn't look her in the eye and, instead, peered at his feet. "Maybe I should get you back to your husband."

Anika sighed and nodded.

******************************************************************************

"You guys are home early," Troy stated with genuine surprise. "Did you guys have fun?"

"I had a fabulous time, thanks to Mr. Riley over here."

Ben bowed with aplomb. "Glad to be of service. But it's way past my bedtime, so if you kids don't mind, I'm going to head home."

Anika hugged him. "Thank you again, Ben."

"Any time." He then went over to his childhood friend. "I'll come by again this weekend. I'll bring more beer. Let me know if you guys need anything else."

"Thanks, Riley. Ani and I appreciate it."

They clapped each other on the back.

Then Ben was gone.

Anika gingerly sat on her husband's lap as he was in his powerchair, and lay her head on his broad shoulder. "Thanks for giving me a night out. It was much appreciated."

"And thank you for everything you do for me, Ani. I wouldn't have made it this far without you." He noted her haunted expression. "Is everything ok?"

"Sure is. I'm just tired. And I had way too much to drink tonight. I'm going to shower then head to bed. Need anything?"

"No, I'm good."

"I'll help you into bed when I'm done. I'll just be 5 minutes."

"Take your time and enjoy a nice hot bath. I can transfer myself into bed."

Anika hugged her husband again. "I love you, babe."

"Love you, too."

Troy watched his wife leave the room. Her shoulders were slumped and she appeared defeated. He knew that Anika didn't sleep with Ben tonight, but clearly something had transpired between then.

Everything was going according to plan.

So why was no one happy?

******************************************************************************

Troy was staring glumly out the window when Anika returned home from work.

He looked as his beautiful wife as she entered the living room. She constantly bore a harried experience as she was always rushing home for his sake. Equally as noticeable was the fact that she had been extremely quiet and somber since her night out with Ben.

"Hey, babe. How was your day?"

Troy managed to crack a smile. "Good. How was work?"

"Ugh. Busy, as usual."

"Can we talk?"

Anika had started to unbutton her blouse and was about to head upstairs to change when she froze. "Sure. What's on your mind?" She sat next to her husband and, for the first time, noticed his grave expression.

"Ani, I don't know how to say this."

"Just say it."

"I think you should start dating Riley."

Anika gaped in surprise. "What?"

"You heard me. I think you should start dating Riley."

The pretty blonde almost choked on her words. "Babe, what in God's name are you talking about?"

Troy brushed his wife's hair lovingly aside so he could look at her. "Ani, I know you love me as much as I love you. I know you will do anything and everything for me without question... without complaint. But..."

Anika waited patiently before demanding, "But what?"