All Comments on 'The Battle of the Crater'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Props for the Geeks among us!! I have reason to be in Elsmere from time to time. I think you should have put this in the non-erotic category.

THANK YOU for a nice story.

gunhilltraingunhilltrain12 months agoAuthor

Thank you. There is a romance between Amanda and Lucy, and between Amanda and Steve. Mostly not explicit, but it's there. There will be more explicitness in future stories - although it will be about Lucy, even though Steve is in the picture too but he will probably will not be depicted. I've never been in Elsmere; I just picked it off a map.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

This sort of story isn’t my normal cuppa joe, but this lifelong history geek had a grand time with it. Were I unattached and had I some more appropriate numbers on my birth certificate, I could easily imagine being thoroughly smitten by someone like Amanda. I would love to see if she gets anywhere with her New Yorker. Please, sir, some more?

gunhilltraingunhilltrain12 months agoAuthor

Thank you. I myself at 68 am way too old for Amanda. You're in luck perhaps because I have started writing more. However, although Steve is in the picture, most of it will be about her continuing relationship with Lucy (and also how they met). There are excellent History Channel documentaries on YouTube about The Crater and Cold Harbor, among many others.

MargotPaygeMargotPayge12 months ago

Quite a good read.

gunhilltraingunhilltrain12 months agoAuthor

Thank you, Margot, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

ScottishTexanScottishTexan10 months ago

While I enjoyed reading this, it certainly belongs in the Non-erotic category.

Ironically, I've been employed by the movie industry in the Houston area. I barely missed out on working Robocop 2 because I ended up getting connected with a man named Craig Busch just after it wrapped production. But I did lots of work for the next 8 years or so following that.

My biggest complaint is that you got the name of Tom Wolfe's novel wrong. I AM CHARLOTTE SIMMONS.

It isn't My name is...3/5

gunhilltraingunhilltrain10 months agoAuthor
To ScottishTexan

Yes, the name of the novel. I thought I had checked everything, like where the Metro stations are in Arlington and Bethesda. You have 13 stories, so you must know how hard it is to get all of those details right. (I've done 117, not including other sites.) In any case, I doubt I'm changing it now, considering what a hassle it is to make corrections on Lit. The movie-making details, I made up most of those. The battle itself I got from various sources. I still maintain that it belongs in Romance, which is the topic of the first and third (last) segments of the story. Anyway, thanks for reading it.

gunhilltraingunhilltrain10 months agoAuthor
Correction in the works

About six days ago I submitted a version that corrects the title of the Tom Wolfe novel. (I Am Charlotte Simmons.) Thanks to a reader who spotted the mistake. Hey, it only took nearly two months to find it! I suspect Lit will post the new version next week.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...