The Bearded Clam Mystery Ch. 02

Story Info
Nancy Drew believes a new acquaintance is in danger.
2.4k words
4.17
2k
1
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/27/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If I ever meet up with that guy again, I'll knee him right where he lives," George exclaimed. Nancy had just finished relating the conversation she had with her father the previous evening. They were discussing it over coffee at a nearby diner.

"But you don't know where he lives," Bess objected. "Do you?"

"I most certainly do," George replied.

"Well fine then," said Bess. "We'll just go there and when he leaves we'll follow him. He'll lead us straight to Brianna."

"That's not what I meant you--"

"Let's just concentrate on finding Brianna, okay?" Nancy said. "I have an appointment with the police chief this morning. Let's meet for lunch at noon at my place. I asked Mrs. Gruen to set places for both of you before I left the house." Hannah Gruen, the Drew family's housekeeper, was a terrific cook and her friends never turned down a chance to enjoy an always delicious meal prepared by her.

Nancy's meeting with the River Heights police chief didn't produce much in the way of results. No one had been issued a ticket for a license plate violation in a long while and the violator was known to be a local merchant. Nancy's description of the man who met Brianna Colby didn't ring any bells with the chief.

"Your father's right, Nancy," the chief said. "We don't have anything to investigate at the moment. You don't have this young lady's home address so you can't contact her parents unless they're listed in the telephone book which I doubt."

"I've already checked that angle," said Nancy. "You're right."

"I'll ask the city police department to inform us if a missing persons report is filed for Brianna Colby but it could take weeks before her parents become worried if they don't hear from her."

"I appreciate the effort, Chief," Nancy replied. "I'm just afraid we don't have the luxury of time. I think Brianna Colby is in real danger now." The guardian of law and order in River Heights nodded his head in agreement. He knew Nancy Drew wasn't the type to jump to conclusions or panic unnecessarily. Despite her youth, Nancy had already been of inestimable assistance to the River Heights Police Department. (See the "Mystery of the Vegetarian Cannibal".)

Nancy got home just before noon. With her usual Prussian efficiency, Hannah Gruen had everything under control and was ready to serve lunch. "Where's Bess?" said Nancy when she opened the front door to admit George.

"She said she had a couple of errands to run," George replied. "I'm sure she'll be along soon. My cousin has yet to miss a meal when it's been prepared by Mrs. Gruen." However Bess was indeed late and the two young women had just about decided to eat without her when she finally arrived.

"It's so nice of you to join us," said George.

"I'm sorry but it couldn't be helped," Bess replied with a pleasant smile.

"Never mind," said Nancy. "Let's eat."

The girls settled down to a delicious repast prepared by the inestimable Mrs. Gruen and talked in generalities but as the meal neared its end the topic of the whereabouts of Brianna Colby was once again on their minds.

"What's our next move?" said George.

"I honestly don't have a clue," Nancy admitted.

"Well, I still think we should just follow him," said Bess. "He's sure to lead us back to Brianna eventually."

"That's brilliant thinking, Bess," said George. "Do you happen to know where this fellow is right now?"

"No, I don't," Bess replied, "but I happen to know where he'll be at four o'clock this afternoon."

"Where? When?" Nancy almost shouted. "How did you find out about this?" Nancy and George stared in amazement at Bess who quite liked being the center of attention for a change.

"He'll be at the train station at four o'clock this afternoon," said Bess. "I was on my way to the druggist because I had a hankering for a candy bar. This big car pulled up in front of the train station. The same man who picked up Brianna got out of the car and opened the door for this Oriental-looking woman. She was Chinese or Japanese or something like that and very elegantly dressed."

"It wasn't the same car?" said Nancy.

"It was a different car," Bess replied, "almost like a limousine, but it was the same driver. I'm sure of it. He got back into his car and left right away so I followed the woman inside. She caught the train into the city about five minutes later.

"Anyway, I sort of flirted with the ticket clerk and--"

"You did what," exclaimed George. "That guy has to be a thousand years old."

"Hush and let her finish," said Nancy.

"... and I commented how beautiful that Oriental woman was and he said she takes regular trips into the city and usually returns on the four o'clock train."

"That's great detective work, Bess," said Nancy.

"Thanks!"

"I guess your sweet tooth came in pretty handy," said George. "Congratulations, cousin!"

"That reminds me," said Bess. "I didn't get a chance to buy my candy bar."

"I guess I know where I'm going to be at four o'clock this afternoon," said the girl detective.

"I'm the one who found him," said Bess. "I'm going to be there too."

"Well, I'm not going to sitting around twiddling my thumbs while you two have all the fun," said George. "I'm coming along. Maybe I'll get a chance to kick that guy where he lives."

"I knew I could count on you both," said Nancy.

"That's the car pulling up to the train station now," said Bess as she finished her candy bar. Nancy Drew and her two friends were sitting in Nancy's blue roadster across the street from the train station.

"That's him all right," said Nancy as she watched the man enter the front door of the depot. "It's almost four o'clock too." Not more than five minutes after the train dropped off its passengers Nancy observed their man accompany the Oriental woman to the car and open the door for her. He was very deferential to the woman and she was obviously his superior. This was in marked contrast to the way he treated Brianna who had to carry her own suitcase.

Not far out of River Heights farmland and open country dominated the landscape. Many of the country roads had yet to be paved so it was rather easy to stay well back and follow the trail of dust kicked up by the large automobile.

"They've either turned off the road or they've stopped," said Nancy.

"How can you tell?" said Bess.

"I don't see their dust trail any more."

"Should we pull over?" said George. Nancy shook her head.

"I don't think we have any choice but to continue on." So far following the car had been easy. Perhaps it had been too easy. Sure enough, Nancy took a bend and found her car not more than two car lengths behind the one they were pursuing. The man and the woman were standing together and the man waved to them. The road was too narrow at that point to pass them and also too difficult to turn around.

"Is there a problem?" Nancy called. The Oriental woman approached Nancy's side of the car.

"I'm not certain," the woman answered in a cultured voice. "I would like to know why you are following us."

"What are you talking about," said George. "We weren't following you. We just happened to be going in the same direction."

Nancy didn't see any point in prevaricating at this point and addressed the woman. "We met a young lady on the train to River Heights yesterday and became acquainted with her. Her name is Brianna Colby."

"Miss Colby just entered my employment," said the woman. "How does she concern you?"

"When your driver arrived to pick up Miss Colby we found his attitude and demeanor coarse and not befitting a gentleman. That was enough to make us uneasy. When we also discovered his mind belonged in the gutter--"

"I take it you and your friends wish to renew your acquaintance with Miss Colby so that you can be assured she has come to no harm."

"That's it exactly," Nancy replied.

"Then by all means, let's go meet Miss Colby so that your troubled minds will be at ease." The Oriental woman turned to glance at her driver. "I shall be interested in listening to Lester's version of events on our way back to the facility." She turned and walked back to her automobile.

"I don't like her attitude any better than his," said George as they followed the limousine.

"I'm willing to reserve judgment until after we meet and talk with Brianna," said the girl detective. It was obvious to Nancy that she'd been spotted following the target vehicle long before being confronted by this mysterious Oriental woman. They were turned around and actually driving back toward River Heights and then for several miles upriver. Eventually they turned into a country lane which led to a large house which fronted on the river. There was something familiar about the place but Nancy was sure she'd never been there before. Was it a picture she'd seen in the newspaper? Nancy parked the car. The girl detective and her companions got out to meet their hostess who seemed suddenly quite angry.

"It seems I owe the three of you an abject apology. Lester told me what transpired at the train station and he was quite out of line. I've decided to dismiss him from my service unless the three of you can find it in your hearts to forgive him." Nancy observed a stricken man. He stood in front of them with his hat in hand. His eyes were downcast and the man was trembling with fear.

"Have you learned your lesson, Lester?" said Nancy.

"I-I certainly have, Miss," said Lester. "The Doctor here has been trying to keep me on the straight and narrow, but I strayed this time and I know it reflected badly on her. I certainly didn't mean any harm, Miss. I'm apologizing to all of you, of course, and I promise I'll take this lesson with me to the grave and be a better man for it if you can see your way to forgiving me." Nancy saw George and Bess both nod their heads.

"I don't see why we should stand in your way if you're truly sincere in your effort to reform yourself, Lester," said Nancy. "Of course we forgive you."

"Thanks a lot, ladies," Lester replied. "I suppose I'd better get back to work." He quickly left in the direction of some out-buildings.

"I'm glad that incident has been resolved satisfactorily," said their hostess. "My name is Doctor Chang. Who do I have the honor of addressing?"

"My name is Nancy Drew. These ladies are my two best friends; George Fayne and Bess Marvin."

"Shall we step inside?" They were met at the door by a Negro maid and led to a spacious parlor. "Beulah, please ask Miss Colby to join us."

"Yes, Doctor," said Beulah.

"Are you any relation to Carson Drew of legal fame?"

"He's my father," said Nancy. "Are you a physician, Dr. Chang?"

"I'm a clinical psychologist specializing in behavior modification."

"That's a mouthful," said George. "What does it mean?"

"It's indeed a mouthful, Miss Fayne," said Dr. Chang. "I deal with young women who have been in minor scrapes with the law and who are at risk of getting into more serious trouble which could lead to prison. My goal is to prevent that and lead them back into more productive lives."

"That's very admirable," said Nancy. "May I ask? Do you know the history of this estate? I seem to recall seeing a picture in the newspaper which is remarkably similar to what I've seen."

"Until last year, this house was a speakeasy and brothel. It was raided and closed by the federal authorities. I purchased the property from the bank after the previous owner could no longer pay his bills."

"Holy smokes," exclaimed Bess. Her voice became a whisper. "Do you mean prostitution?"

Doctor Chang pointed upstairs. "That's where the women lived and performed their duties. I'm converting the upstairs to dorm-like rooms for my clients. They will be arriving beginning next month. Right now there's just Lester, Beulah, Brianna and myself."

"I feel so naughty being here," said Bess.

"Relax," said George. "None of that is going on now."

"Well, here's Brianna."

"Hi! I certainly didn't expect to see you three so soon," said Brianna.

"We became worried after you left the train station," said Nancy.

"This is about Lester, right? He kind of gave me the creeps too, but I think he's harmless."

"That's good to know," said Nancy. "May we sit and talk with Brianna for a while, Dr. Chang."

The oriental woman looked at her watch. "We were already behind schedule before this unfortunate incident and it has put us even further behind. Perhaps we can schedule something for the near future; luncheon perhaps?" She stood up and the young visitors realized the interview was over. They stood up also.

"Yes, of course," said Nancy. "It's been a pleasure meeting you. Could you walk us out to the car, Brianna?"

"I'm afraid she can't," said Dr. Chang. "I need her to dictate some urgent messages. Beulah will see you out. Good-bye."

"I hope I'll see you all soon," said Brianna and gave them a little wave. She followed Dr. Chang out of the room.

"That was the strangest visit," said George on their drive back to River Heights. "It seemed like Dr. Chang wanted to get rid of us just as soon as we saw Brianna."

"Those are my thoughts exactly," said Nancy. "Also, did you notice Beulah was keeping an eagle eye on us? Almost as if she was afraid we we were going to walk off with something."

"I didn't think anything of it at the time but now that you mention it, it did seem strange," George replied.

"Lester winked at me before walking away," said Bess.

"Are you serious?" said George.

"I swear it's true."

"It doesn't seem like Lester was very sincere after all," said Nancy. The girl detective realized she wasn't assured at all about Brianna's safety after that visit. There was something else that was bothering her but the girl detective's mind would not put the puzzle pieces together. At least not yet. This case warranted further investigation.