The Black City Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RavynsLand
RavynsLand
106 Followers

Fortunately, the bolt hits his chest and staggers him, but doesn't kill him -- though even as I load my next bolt I notice him go stiff, shudder, then slump to his knees, a spurt of greenish-black blood spurting from the back of his neck. As he falls, he reveals the projection of Syssyx, who smirks at me before vanishing like a heatwave. "Fuck, fuck," I whisper under my breath. Lucky save.

I unload a few more bolts while Zaz and Syx clear out the rest, mostly hitting my targets but only getting two meaningful killshots. Still, at least I contributed, and neither of my companions look injured. I feel the dark hum of their presence fade from my telepathic radar as the last few are put down, and at last, I think we're safe again. "What were those... things? Those people?" I pant softly as the adrenaline drains out of me, leaving me fatigued. If my psionic abilities having any intention on turning into focusable blasts, they can start doing it any time now -- that'd be way preferable to a shitty crossbow my noodle-arms can barely use.

"Uncertain," Syx says, bending down to flip one body over and onto its back, this one a woman. "They all bear these same markings, though. I'm surprised you weren't able to sense the ambush with your abilities, Raine."

"Drowned out by the others. Not totally silent, but they think... quietly. Couldn't make out individual thoughts." I frown, fitting the crossbow back into place on my back. "Anything good on them?"

"Just rusty weapons, the occasional grim keepsake. Teeth, locks of hair," Syx sighs as she rummages through the belongings of a second one, clearly not relishing the task. "So no, I'd say. But I am quite concerned that whatever this... faction is, they're uncomfortably close to the encampment."

"Wait, close?" I almost gasp. "Are we almost there?"

Syssyx turns, points north, and I see it. Not sure what I was expecting, tents and trailers I guess, maybe a crude wood wall. What I see, though, looming maybe some two miles away, fluorescent lights flickering ominously from its interior... is a mall.

RavynsLand
RavynsLand
106 Followers
12