The Devlin Family: Incubus Blues

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, I'm good." I say as I get out of the car. I walk around to his side. "Should we...call out for it or what?"

"Hmmm. They tend to be loners. Nah, let's see if we can find it first."

"Fair enough." I pat his shoulder. "Let's go hunt a dragon."

He grins from ear to ear and gives me a firm nod. Side by side we venture forward. My eyes wide, my ears straining, every sense reaching out I try to look for little discrepancies that would give away the supernatural. Nothing out of the ordinary tips my senses, though my heart drumming in my ears didn't help. I couldn't believe we were sneaking through a strange forest in search of an actual dragon! God I loved my life. Pushing though the underbrush isn't so bad thankfully though it did mean we weren't as quiet as we wanted to be. In our searching we naturally fan out but are careful to stay within sight of each other. After a couple of hundred yards we come back together under the boughs of an enormous poplar.

"We're going to get lost." I whisper. "Night vision or no."

"Yeah." He admits. "I wish Bron was with us. I want to see it!"

"Listen. From here I can see two potential clearings. There." I point to left. "And there." I point straight ahead. "I think that one's a pond. You go left and I'll take the other, we'll meet back here. If we don't find anything we head back to the car."

"Fair enough." He nods. "Good luck."

"Back atcha sweetie."

He steals a cheeky kiss before padding off in his designated direction. I focus on the other clearing and make my way forward. Weaving through the trees I make good time and before long I step out into a wide open area. It wasn't a pond though there was a narrow stream that snaked down the middle of the clearing. And there, right in front of me not even 50 feet away, was the creature I sought.

For a moment my breath catches in my lungs and I feel a surge of adrenaline fuel my fight or flight instinct. It must have heard me coming because it was staring straight at me!

It was...beautiful! Though nothing like what I expected. It resembled a great lion...though not really. That was simply the closest thing I had at mind to compare it to, though the longer I looked at it the less lion like it seemed. It had a mane of gold and a stout raccoon like tail that ended in a tuft of the same metallic tone but the rest of it's feathery fluffy fur was a gleaming platinum with darker silver tiger like stripes running up and down it's long thick body. It's face was more bear like than feline, really closer to a red panda than anything given the pattern of gold and platinum. It's intense eyes had the hue of a rich pure copper. Most striking of all however are the two large elegant feathered wings folded over its back. As Lucian had described the creature had a slight glow all its own, though the moon's light shining down from above made it positively luminescent.

It tilts its big shaggy head and looks me over.

"Ahem." I clear my throat and wrack my brain, I hadn't prepared myself to actually talk to it. "My name is Jacob Devlin. I understand that you are a dragon." I say in my politest tone. "It is a pleasure to meet you Sir...er, or Madam." I cringe at my bumbling attempt at an introduction.

It approaches on silent bear like paws, each as wide as a dinner plate. I muster all of my courage to stand still as it gets close. It's enormous head is at shoulder height for me as it walks, but when it stops it raises its head higher to stare me eye to eye. It's wide maw could surely crush my skull in a single bite. A month ago I would have run screaming, but my experience with my twin and my fight with my big brother had hardened me to such terrifying things as this. I look past the powerful exterior to address the intelligence within.

"Uhh, what...what is your name?" Despite my trembling limbs I do what I can to try to remain cordial.

"BRRRFFF!" A growl rumbles through it deep chest. It leans in and plants its muzzle into my hair and takes in a great snuff of air. Then it starts to sniff me all over my head and shoulders. "RRRFFF!" It snorts a hot breath that blows my hair back once it is done.

"Uh. I...hope I smell good." I hasten to add awkwardly. "Not good to eat! Ha ha ha! I mean...uh...oh boy. Can you talk?" Where was this philosophical mind that Lucian had described? Maybe it was just a language barrier. "So, I'm told that..." It nudges me roughly forcing me to stumble to the left. "Hey." I say. "No need to shove." As I reach out in a gesture of peace the dragon snaps up my right arm in it's jaw. "Hey!" Certain I am about to lose that limb I pull against it but I am hopelessly overpowered by it. Thankfully it doesn't crunch down but simply holds me by the elbow in a firm grip. I try to keep my cool. "Okay, uh, is this some sort of greeting or..."

"RRRFFF!" It growls as it turns and walks back toward the stream.

"Gah!" With my arm held tight I have no choice but to be dragged along with it. Walking at its side I start to try to parlay again until I see what it was leading me to.

Laying in the water, her head and shoulders propped up against the opposite bank, is a tall powerfully built woman of incredible beauty with eyes that glowed like sunlight. She tries to speak but an unearthly gurgle is the only thing that escapes her lips, a shaking hand reaches toward me. Blood streamed from her mouth and a wicked looking wound lay wide open straight across her gut sending a dark glimmering streak of blood down current. She wore only a simple white dress with a gold rope belt. Lying beside her side is a sword shattered into pieces. It is a gruesome sight but what scared me right down to my bones...are the two great white wings that lay broken beneath her. Wings not dissimilar to those of the creature holding me now!

She was an angel! A fucking angel! Sworn enemy and hunter of demons! And this thing holding me was no dragon, it was her pet. Some winged warrior beast of a celestial nature. I needed to get Lucian out of here...NOW!

My eyes widen in terror and my heart drops as I hear rustling rushing closer through the forest.

"Jacob!" I hear my brother's lilting voice call out excitedly. "Did you find it?"

***

The angel turns her head to watch my brother break through the bushes to jog out into the clearing, her eyes narrow and a look of confusion shows through her stoic expression. She coughs more blood out onto her chest. "What...is this...abomination?" She gurgles through wet choking breaths.

I crane my head around to look back at Lucian who is skittering to a frantic stop. Horns on his head, tail behind him, that emerald green glimmer of his eyes, the angel needed no superhuman senses to see him for he what he is. His eyes dart around, taking in the situation and quickly realizing how much danger he is in.

"Jacob!"

"Get out here Lucian!" I shout. "Get as far away as you can!"

"J-Jacob..." He stutters, scared out of his mind yet not wanting to leave me.

"Don't worry about me. RUN!" As I hear him scrambling back I turn back toward the grievously wounded angel. "His name is Lucian. He is not what you think he is. He is a good man."

"Human...with...demon? A mongrel!?" She rasps as she watches my brother flee. If she could have gotten up she would have. "Impossible! What...foul...design is this? What...scheme...are they planning now?"

"He is not a mongrel!" I pull against the beast holding me. "Let me go you shaggy brute." I plead with the angel. "Let me talk with you. Let me help you with your injuries."

Even through her pain she looks at me with deep pity and empathy. "You poor child. He has...cor-corrupted you." She coughs violently, spitting up more blood in the process. In a strange language that sounded akin to the resonating notes of a sitar she says something to the creature clamped onto my arm. With a flick of its head it hurls me forward toward the angel. I land roughly in the stream right beside her, my knees being bruised by the smooth rocks along the bed. The cold water flows around me from my waist down.

"Fuck!" I grunt in pain.

She takes my wrist in her hand and speaks another command to her servant. It turns and bounds after my brother. Swift and wily as Lucian was I had no doubt the beast could catch him before he reached the car.

"NO!" I attempt to get to my feet to turn and give chase but the angel reaches out with her other hand and touches my forehead. A strange feeling of peace sweeps over me. My muscles relax and my mind calms despite what was happening and I settle back down to kneel at her side. I look at her transcendently beautiful face and feel a wonderful tranquility sooth all the troubles of my mind and heart.

She smiles then cringes in pain. Gently she strokes my temple. "Perhaps...one final...good act...before I go. One final...soul saved." She whispers, the light of her eyes flicker and with that flicker I feel the false serenity she had instilled in me weaken for just a moment. "Tell...my companion...they served me well. Be with them as they pass." She coughs. "Don't...let them...die alone."

"M-my...brother..." I don't want to, yet some part of me struggles against the peculiar calm to form words. "...he is...a good man."

"Shhhh." She says. "Be still child. He has..." She grimaces with another bout of suffering. "...he has enslaved your mind. You know not what you say. It will be over...soon. Then...you can...seek salvation." Her power wanes and swells again, weaker than before. She was dying. I could see now she was just holding on through sheer determination to see this final act through to its conclusion.

"Lucian...you don't know..."

"Shhhh. Be calm."

To her I was just another ignorant human. Like a fly caught up in a web that I could neither see nor understand. Just as with father with Vespera this angel believed she knew what was best and nothing a mere mortal could say to her would change her mind. I was getting damn tired of not being listened to and that anger gives me another foothold to resist her. My love and concern for my brother does the rest. Pushing out from my deepest soul I resist the peace with urgent fear. I hadn't the will yet to stand and run but I was coming back into my own.

Her eyes flash brighter and I see her strain to maintain her power on me. "Do not fight me...human. You will see...you will understand...pray with me child. Pray. The Lord will...forgive you...for your sins."

"I hope you're right." I whisper. My protective instincts to save my little brother rage back through me once more and with not a second to spare I do the only thing I could think of. Grabbing the shattered sword just beside her limp hand I bring it up and sink what remained of the sharp jagged heaven made blade into her neck. The angel's eyes go wide, her mouth opens though no sound escapes it, and she stares at me in horror and shock. As her yellow eyes dim to orange then red then pink I plead in hopes her fading presence might understand. "I'm sorry. I have no choice. He is my brother."

Staring into my eyes her mouth moves to speak but cannot. The power she had exerted on me disappears and my adrenaline response kicks my body back into a heightened state once more. I gaze back into her, begging forgiveness even as I did the deed. I hold the blade deep, her hot blood gushing over my hand as her light dims...then extinguishes completely. All at once her body goes limp beneath me. Had she not already been dying, had I not been simply hastening the inevitable, I am not sure I would have had the will to do it. But I had done it. I had killed. The terrible reality of my act only now hitting me. I let go of the sword as if it were white hot and stare at the dead body before me. All of her divine power and beauty and presence just...gone.

I look up to the starry heavens above. "Forgive me."

***

A deep mournful howl echoes through the forest shaking me out of my despair and bringing me back to the present. Without a backward glance I spring to my feet and run as fast as my legs would carry me. Twigs and thorns from the underbrush scrape at me but I sprint through without a care, my brother's safety the only thing that mattered to me now.

"Lucian!" I call out frantically. "Lucian, where are you?"

"Here." His voice calls back from up ahead. "I'm okay."

I rush toward the sound of his voice and soon find him. He stands about 15 feet back from the winged creature. It lay at the roots of the huge poplar we had stopped at previously. It is facing back toward me and trying to crawl on its belly back to the stream where its master lay dead. It's luster had faded and its great strength obviously waning quickly. The killing of its master had struck it a mortal blow as well. I hurry a safe distance around the struggling beast to hug my brother tight. He hugs me back just as hard, his slender arms still trembling in fear.

"It almost got me." He whispers.

I kiss his head. "Oh thank goodness you're safe."

"I'm sorry I ran." He buries his face in my chest. "I'm sorry I wasn't brave."

"It was you they would have hurt, not me. Don't worry about it." I assure him. "Come on. Let's get out of here."

I go to make my way back for the car but Lucian doesn't move. His emerald gaze is focused on the heavenly creature still dragging itself along the ground.

"It's a celestion." He says. "The faithful servant of an angel. Mum told me they are an extension of the angel itself."

I look at it just as it lets out a low heart wrenching moan of grief. "RRRWWWMMM!" Valiantly it continues to try to make its way back to its master.

Luci looks up at me. "It's dying. The angel passed on, didn't she?"

I look down at my blood stained hand and nod with a shuddering breath.

Lucian's eyes widen. "Oh! Oh Jacob."

"It had to be done."

He brings my other hand to his lips and kisses it. "Thank you! You saved my life. I never should have brought us out here. This whole thing, this whole trip, is my..."

"It's not your fault." I cut him short. "It just...happened."

Still looking at the creature, noticing it no longer glowed by its own power, I say in a quiet voice as I recall. "Her last request was for me to not let it die alone." I shake my head. "We have to go. I have to get you somewhere safe. Whatever hurt that angel might still be around."

I start for the car again, and again Lucian resists. "We...we can't let it die alone."

"Lucian. Come on." I say more firmly. "It might have some strength left yet, we can't take the risk. Look at it. It could kill both of us with one swipe."

"I don't think it will hurt you." He says. "You're a human."

"What about you!?"

"Rrrrwwwmmm." It groans, a bit weaker now. It's limbs begin to fail it but still it struggles forward with all the strength it had left in it.

My brother takes two steps toward it. "This is my fault. I...I won't leave it like this."

"Lucian!" I snap, absolutely at my limit to not being listened to. My fear and my shaken state fueling that frustration. "Come here, now! We are leaving!"

He looks back at me with sadness across his pretty face. "Would you want to die alone? I wouldn't. I'm staying Jacob."

"Fuck! You little..." I bite my tongue. "Don't you understand? This thing tried to KILL you! Its very existence is to kill things like you. And who knows, maybe another angel might come looking. Then what? Huh!?"

In a small hurt voice he whispers. "I'm not a thing Jacob."

"I...grrr...I know that. I didn't mean it like that. Just...come on! We can talk about this in the car."

There is some doubt in him but then he stands tall and nods to himself. Reaching into his vest pocket he pulls something from it. "What does it mean to be a good boy...if I'm not good? Why do I struggle so hard every single day if not to stand up when it counts? Good isn't how I'm seen. It's what I do, it's what I am. I am a good boy Jacob." He says more fervently than ever before. "I am...good."

"You did stand up when it counted sweetie. You protected me, remember?" My frustration is reaching peak levels. I just wanted him to be safe, why couldn't he see that? "You are a good boy. You are good. You have nothing to prove to anybody."

"Except myself."

"Lucian! Fuck. I'm getting you out of here." I insist as I storm toward him. "This is for your own good. You just don't understand."

Looking up to my eyes he says. "You sound like father."

"I..." I go to rage back at him until the weight of those words hits me like a ton of bricks and stops me in my tracks. "I..." The words I was about to speak might as well have been my Dad's in both tone and meaning. I feel the anger drain from my body. Who in the hell was I to tell Lucian right from wrong? Who was I to make his decisions for him? He was a grown man, he knew the risks even more than I did. My shoulders slump and I slowly nod. "You're right. Fuck...you're right."

He approaches me. With one hand he takes my clean hand and turns it palm up, with the other her places something in it. As he pulls his hand away I see it is the slender leather collar I intended on putting on him at the end of the weekend.

"I would have been so happy to be your boy." He looks deep in my eyes. "So happy. Thank you for giving me a chance Jacob."

"Lucian?" I look to the collar then back up to him.

He takes in a deep breath and shiver runs through him. "I...I think I might be able to save it." He says. "But I have to use my powers." Turning back he approaches the great beast.

"Lucian." I say as I hurry to walk up along side him and try to talk sense into him. "It's dying. Its master died. We can't save it sweetie. And even if we could, then what? It will probably just eat you up."

My case is falling on deaf ears though. He approaches the creature along its flank and leans down to run his fingers through its feathery platinum fur.

"I'm scared." He whispers.

"It's okay." I stay close with him and rub his shoulder. "You don't have do this Lucian."

He takes another deep breath. "I want to. I need to."

We walk around to the front of the golden maned beast. It lay there huffing and looking up at us with it's red panda like face, it hadn't even the strength the crawl anymore. It looks up and groans sadly. "Rrrrrmmm." It is scared and alone and confused, fading from existence without the steady presence of its master. My heart bleeds for it and the pain I see in its eyes touches me deeply. If I were to be separated from Vespera I think I might look like that.

I still worry though. "How do you think you can help? I don't think there's anything to be done."

"Did you know Lucifer means light-bringer?" He says. "Isn't that something? The morning star. Grandpa is a fallen Seraphim, once a prince of heaven. I am a part of that heritage. All demons are."

"Lucian, you are not an angel."

"No, but I'm the other side of the same coin."

"But you're half human."

He smiles with a strange kind of peace. "Yeah. I am." I realize it is this side of himself he was drawing on to show mercy to the celestion. God damn I was so fucking proud of this kid. His bravery was inspiring. And purely on a selfish level, if this creature was an extension of the angel I had just slain perhaps saving her servant might be one small step toward redemption. After the deed I had committed back at the stream I was eager to do anything to help set things right.

Pocketing the collar I ask. "What can I do?"

His smile warms. "Stay with me." He says. "If I can even do this it is going to take all the power I've got. I'll be weak. I may pass out or...anyways."

"Or die?"

He reaches up on his tip toes and kisses me on the lips. "I love you brother."

"I love you too." I take him by the head and stare him eye to eye. "Don't you dare die! Dieing on me out here, that would be brattiest thing ever. You don't want me to tell the others you died a brat, do you?"

123456...8