The Dragon and the Wolf Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No complaints from me either."

Not sure how long we made love for until we stopped after enjoying an orgasm at roughly the same time. Rolling off and cuddling into me once again, we gazed up at the stars, not particularly chatting about anything, simply enjoyed the comfortable silence after enjoying what I hoped she thought was some rather good sex.

"Ragnar?" I turned my head to look at her. She leaned forward to kiss me. "Egvane navr."

The next thing I knew, I woke up to the sound of birds tweeting, the sun shining on my face, and my clothes had changed back to my armour. As for Keira, there was no sign of her. I sat up and ran a hand down my face, trying to remember everything from the previous night. A lot of good memories, but I was left rather confused as to how I'd fallen asleep and where Keira had disappeared to.

Giving it further thought, I felt a cold shiver go down my spine. Geralt had mentioned his concern before he left. He knew I sometimes thought with something else other than my brain. Going over everything I'd been up to in the past few days, it all started to make sense. She hadn't used me exactly, but there was no doubt there was a reason behind everything I'd done for her.

"Fuck," I muttered. I had no horse to ride but I could figure out where I was. No doubt her boat wouldn't be where it was. "Oreton. I'll have to grab a boat there."

Getting there took longer than I would have wanted, jogging or running most of the way there, so by the time I arrived, I was sweating heavily. Speaking to one of the fisherman, the boat I'd taken with Graham would have remained near the isle, so I convinced a fisherman to take me across on the promise of a few coins. Pressing them into his palm, he told me to get in and he started to row me across.

The spare boat was still there, so I knew I could get back at least, thanking the fisherman before I stepped off. The tower remained as eerily quiet as it had been when I'd walked out of it. Approaching the stairs that led up to the entrance, I leaned against the wall and waited for Keira to appear. I just knew this was where she'd come. I just couldn't figure out why. Clearly something that mage she knew had interested her.

I had to wait a little while before Keira appeared, a bunch of notes in her hands. She didn't look up as she started to descend, only doing so when I cleared my throat. Her eyes briefly widened in surprised before she rolled up the papers and placed them in her bag. "Sleep well, Ragnar?" she asked ever so sweetly, brushing past me as she started to walk away.

"Stop!" I ordered in a tone that made her almost jump before she turned around and glared at me. I took a couple of steps towards her. "I don't appreciate being used, Keira."

"I haven't heard any complaints during the past few nights, Ragnar."

"Was everything you said a lie?"

That hurt her. "No, of course not! But I saw an opportunity present itself so I took advantage of it."

"I'm going to ask you one question and I want a completely honest response. What's with the notes? Was this what it was all about?"

"Alexander was studying the Catriona plague. I'll use his notes to produce medication, perhaps a cure... or at least a vaccine."

"So this was all a humanitarian effort on your part?"

"Not exactly. The mighty would pay willingly for such a remedy. Can you imagine how much? Take Radovid, for instance. Why, he might even consider forgetting my past associations with the Lodge."

"You don't seriously believe that, do you? Surely you've heard what he's been up to in Novigrad. Witch hunters coming the countryside. Hundreds already killed. What makes you think he'll do anything else with you except have you tied to a stake and burned?" I walked towards her, taking one her hands in both of minds. "Think, Keira. I understand why you want out of Velen. But this is not the way. Radovid is a fucking madman."

She met my eyes and must have seen something in them. I honestly thought we were going to end up in a fight, and one of us would have to die. Instead, she took a deep breath, shook her hand free and turned around before she said, "Shut up for a moment and look at me." She turned back a couple of paces away and spread her arms. "See this? Bedbugs, Ragnar. Bloody bedbugs! I, Keira Metz, advisor to Foltest and member of the Lodge of Sorceresses, have bedbugs! Think what you will, but I'll not stay in this bloody swamp one day more. Not one day! I shall cross the Pontar, and that means Radovid's men will find me sooner or later. Don't you understand?! I don't have a choice. I will have to parley."

"There is always a choice, Keira. I would offer to protect you..." That made a slight grin form for a moment. I was unfailingly honest most of the time. "But we both know you can't join me. Heading north is out. Heading south won't be any safer. But there is one place that will always be safe for you."

"Where?"

"Kaer Morhen. Yes, it's an old fort, crumbling in places, but it's cleaner than Velen. Air is cleaner."

She sighed. "Fine, I guess it's better than any alternative. Don't really want to fight you either."

I held out my hand. "I can't let you take them, Keira. I'll ensure they're kept safe for now and end up in the right place. Your idea about a vaccine is worthy, but we'll have to worry about such matters later."

"You won't burn them?"

"His methods were horrific; I won't deny that. But if people smarter than me read these notes and see a way of ending plague, then the price might just have been worth paying. Just remember a lot of innocent people died for this."

"I know, Ragnar. I saw the bodies too." She sighed. "We had fun, didn't we?"

I gestured for her to approach, and gave her a tight hug. "It was good to see you, Keira. Go to Kaer Morhen, wait it out. Do some research but stay out of trouble. Vesermir will appreciate the company, at least."

We shared one last kiss before she let me go. "Okay, I'll see you soon then, Ragnar. I'll grab my things from home then make the journey."

"Good luck, Keira. See you soon."

She opened a portal and disappeared from view. Once I was alone, I placed the papers on the ground and burned them, digging my heel into the ashes to ensure not a single scrap survived. Absolutely no chance I was handing those to anyone. I believed in progress but not the way it was potentially achieved. Her mage friend must have been utterly insane, and what he had done to the people of Velen was beyond horrifying. If he had still lived, I'd have killed him myself.

Heading back to shore, I found Keira's boat and rowed that across the lake to the mooring point, figuring I might as well tie it up as I might need it again sometime, before I began the long walk back to Keira's place, as my horse was there. She had already packed up and gone by the time I returned, and as it was already dark, I found myself a little food to eat before turning in for the evening.

*****

A few years earlier...

"This is your house?" I asked, knowing my jaw gaped in surprise.

"I am a member of the royal council to King Foltest, Ragnar, so of course I do have a large residence."

"Well, sure, I understand that, but this is something else entirely."

"You're just too used to the crumbling ruin of Kaer Morhen. We're in civilisation now."

I looked around the large square. In addition to the grand houses were shops that probably sold the finest items coin could buy. "I feel a little out of place, to be honest."

That just made Triss giggle as she hugged into my side, standing up to kiss my cheek. "Well, you're here as my guest, and considering I've already mentioned you in a number of letters, I have a few friends who are very interested in meeting you."

Heading inside, the first room we walked into was tastefully decorated, which wasn't a real surprise, taking my hand as she took me on a tour. Leading me upstairs, she led me to a second bedroom and gestured. "Normally, this would have been your room, if you were just a friend. It's spacious, with a lovely view of the square. The sun shines on it in the morning. A delightful way to wake up." Leading me out of the room, I found myself standing next to her in what could only be her bedroom. "This is our bedroom, Ragnar, because there is no way on this green earth that you're sleeping anywhere except next to me from now on. And I hope that sleep will only arrive after we've made love for half the night."

"Every night?"

She smiled as she moved to stand in front of me. "Is that too much to ask?" she asked, her tone so sickly sweet, I couldn't help chuckle.

"I'll wear you out first."

"Might have to put that to the test, Ragnar. I'll admit you've left me feeling breathless more than once."

"So... serious question, Triss. What am I doing here? I mean, apart from being with you, of course. I love that, but I'm not good at doing nothing."

"I'm sure we'll find you things to do, Ragnar... when you're not with me, that is."

"You know, Triss, I sometimes wonder if you're mind isn't as one track as mine is at times."

She leaned up to kiss me again. "Ragnar, I'm not going to feel..."

I shushed her with a finger on her lips. "Not complaining. I love the fact you feel so free and open with me. You remind me of some very special women I used to know."

Finally dumping my belongings on the ground, she led me downstairs around the rest of her house before suggesting we head out for dinner and a drink. We returned a few hours later feeling rather good about life, which only increased once I had her in our bed later. Without having to worry about anyone overhearing us, we made as much noise as we wanted. I lay back a couple of hours later, Triss fast asleep cuddled into my side, hoping that this would be my life going forward, at least for a little while.

Within the week, Triss told me one morning over breakfast to dress well as I would be visiting the royal palace that afternoon. I knew she had told many about my arrival, and had perhaps hinted at more than one of the gifts I possessed, and it appeared to have reached the ears of King Foltest himself, who apparently now wanted to meet me.

"You'll also meet his other advisors, members of the royal council. I count many of them as good friends," she added.

"So best behaviour?"

"I'm sure you've dealt with nobility and royalty before, Ragnar."

"In a manner of speaking. I'm sure customs are different here than Skyrim."

"I'll guide you as best I can."

We were transported to the royal palace by carriage, which was a real change from walking or riding a horse. The guards and servants were friendly with Triss, as much as she was in return, and I soon found myself introduced to anyone we passed by. Some seemed to already know when, inundated with a million questions I couldn't possibly answer without sitting down and chatting to them for the next week. Triss just answered, "He's a warrior and looks after me," which seemed to satisfy their curiosity.

Before meeting with the king himself, I met with her fellow mages on the Council. Fercart of Cidaris was another survivor from Sodden Hill. After him, I was introduced to a rather attractive blonde by the name of Keira Metz. She was friendly from the moment we shook hands, asking questions as to who I was and how I'd come to arrive in Vizima. To say there was already a hint of jealousy when I stated I was with Triss amused me. In addition to the mages, I was introduced to a pair of dukes, who represented the nobility, and also to a man named John Natalis, who represented military matters on the Council. He took one look at me and suggested we speak later. I knew exactly why and agreed immediately.

Next was a private meeting with the king himself, with Triss at my side. I had met many impressive men in my life and Foltest earned himself a high spot on my list within a few minutes of speaking to him. His interest in me in return was apparent, asking many questions about where I was from, my history as a warrior, and also about the gifts I possessed. It didn't surprise me when our conversation turned to matters of state that affected his kingdom.

"Perhaps we should...." Triss started to ask.

He held up a hand. "I merely wish to speak to Ragnar, Miss Merigold. No decision will be undertaken."

I patted her hand resting on the arm of the chair. "And I'm willing to listen." She glanced my way and grinned, though it was a tight one, no doubt hoping I didn't find myself press-ganged into his army.

I didn't, but he certainly tried to appeal to my better nature when speaking about the threats to his land, particularly from Nilfgaard to the south. Though Temeria was one of the strongest Northern Kingdoms, he still worried about the strength of Nilfgaard, even though they had taken a beating during the last war.

"I need warriors. Capable warriors. And I also look for anyone with unique gifts that could possibly be the difference between saving my kingdom and watching it dissolve. You are a stranger to these lands, Ragnar. You certainly owe no kingdom your loyalty. But Triss calls this city and country home, and if you were to do the same, as king, I can only hope that someone such as yourself may offer their services once the time comes."

"I've been part of conflicts similar to those you describe, Your Majesty. And I'm certainly not someone to just stand aside and watch one country attack another for no reason other than that they covet power. I certainly don't stand aside when innocents are being slaughtered. But the only proviso I have to that is I don't know how long I will remain here. Triss knows I am an adventurer at heart. I can already admit I enjoy living here. Life is comfortable. But there's that part of me that enjoys camping out under the stars, looking for the next place to explore."

Whether that reply satisfied him or not, I was never sure, but the conversation moved on to other matters before Triss and I walked out, though she would be attending a Council meeting within the next few minutes. Waiting in the corridor outside, she asked, "If asked, would you fight for Temeria?" I gave her a look and she could read it easily. "I know you would fight for me, Ragnar. You don't even need to say it."

I ran a hand through my hair as I paced for a couple of minutes before I turned towards her. "Let's see what the future brings. But if I end up considering Temeria my home... I might have to pick up a sword and shield in my efforts to protect her."


12