The Fall Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But...but, I'm supposed to buy the ring."

"And you will, Joe. You'll make monthly payments to me."

"To you?"

"Is that the ring you want to give her, Joe?"

"Yes."

"Then this is how it will work. You will give me one hundred dollars each month until the ring is paid off."

"But that will take forever," I protest.

"Well, after you graduate and start working, pay it off."

"Are you sure? I mean--"

"Joe! Don't worry about it. You're family now."

I look at the ring and then at Jesse.

"I don't know what to say! Thank you, Mrs. Griffin. I promise to pay you back."

"I know you will, Joe. And please. Call me Jesse, or better, Mom."

"Yes, ma'am."

I slip the ring into my pocket. Now to figure out when and where to ask Christina to marry me. Tomorrow night is our last night here, and we are having a family dinner at a local restaurant. That will be the perfect time. I just need to clear it with Tom and Jesse.

***************

Dinner is over, and we are waiting for dessert to be served. I'm sitting next to the most beautiful woman in the room...heck, in the world...with butterflies in my stomach because I am so nervous. There have been some great stories and teasing with all that has happened over the last two weeks. The family started with me, giving me a bad time about not knowing how to ski, and finished with Tom because he says he is getting too old for this stuff.

It's time, so I pick up my wine glass and clear my throat. "I would like to give a toast if that's okay?" I ask.

"Yes, please do," Tom says. "Let's hear something else besides my family telling me to get a wheelchair with skis on it."

I laugh.

"Being new here, I want to thank you and say that this family is a great example of how families should be. To a mother and father who raised their children with high values while still knowing how to love." I move my chair out of the way and turn toward Christina. Kneeling before her, I continue, "Christina," I say, "I love you with all of my heart. You are my soulmate and my queen. I can't imagine life without you."

Christina puts her hand over her mouth and blushes. There are tears in her eyes because she knows what is coming.

I continue, "Christina?" I ask as I pull the box from my trousers and open it. "Will you marry me?"

The silence in the room is deafening. A silence that seems forever. "Of course, I will! I mean, YES!" Christina squeals. I take her hand, slide the ring on her finger, and then stand.

Holding my wine glass in the air, I say, "To my beautiful bride-to-be and her wonderful family." Everyone claps as I take my seat.

And then, Tom stands and raises his glass. "Joe, this is now your family too. Welcome. We are excited to have you aboard. From the day I met you, I knew you were the one for our daughter." He takes his wife's hand and continues, "We love you, Joe. Thank you for coming into our lives."

"Hear hear," the family says in unison. Everyone but Christina.

"I'd like to say something too," Christina blurts out. "The first night I saw Joe standing against the wall at the dance, I knew there was something special about him. I wanted him to ask me to dance, but all he did was stand there. So, I decided to make a move. I spoke with his best friend that was standing next to him."

Everyone in the room chuckles.

Christina continues, "I was relieved when he finally asked me to dance. But then he didn't ask me again the entire night. Joe," she says as she looks at me, "it took some work, but I finally won you over."

The room chuckles again.

"Oh c'mon...it didn't take that much work," I say. "All you had to do was flash that smile of yours, and I was hooked. I'm just a shy--"

Everyone laughs, and I hear from somewhere, "Shy, my foot!"

After looking around, I continue, "...guy. I'm not supposed to tell you this, Christina, but I got the nerve to ask you out because of Kendall. He told me that you were asking Denise about me and said he'd buy me dinner if you didn't agree to go out with me. If it wasn't for him, I don't know if I would have had the nerve to ask the most beautiful, caring, loving, and generous woman I have ever known out on a date. Thank you for saying yes!"

Christina leans over, and we kiss. An innocent kiss because we are surrounded by her family.

"Now we just have to figure out a way to get Joe to a gym and get some muscle on him," Christina's oldest brother says teasingly.

"Hear, hear," the family says again, with more chuckles. I blush.

The waiters finally arrive with our desserts, and we finish our meal. Our condos aren't far, so Christina and I opt to walk back. It's cold, but it feels good, and Christina snuggles next to me as we walk.

"Do you think Aimee will come home for the wedding?" Christina asks. "There isn't anyone else I want as my maid of honor but her."

"I don't know how you could keep her away. I want to be there when you call her to let her know."

Christina and I stop next to a lamppost and turn toward each other. She puts her arms around my neck, and I kiss her. It's a gentle kiss, full of love and passion. I am going to marry the woman of my dreams. My soulmate and the only person I need in my life. We are perfect together, and I'm excited about beginning a new life with the woman who is everything to me. She is my angel and my world.

Note: I would like to thank neuroparenthetical for a final proofreading pass.

12