The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Just dreaming," I responded. Abigal seemed to accept it and sat down next to me. Anthony opened the oven, and a wonderful scent filled the kitchen. I had forgotten the reality of Paris, but the smell brought it all back. With mittened hands, Anthony produced three small brownish crock pots out of the oven and placed them on a butcher board. They were each crusted with browning cheese that overflowed the edges of the pot. The cheese covered a piece of thick bread whose square outline was prominent at the top.

"They look perfect," I said with surprise. Anthony smiled, and Abigal stifled a laugh. They exchanged a look that meant something to the both of them. Abigal eyes moved away from mine when I looked at her. "What?" I asked, wanting to understand the communication between them.

"The proof will be in the tasting," Anthony said, ignoring my query. He placed crocheted hot pads, one in front of me, on for Abigal, and another for himself. He then transferred the pots one at a time to the pads. It smelled wonderful and looked equally good.

"Poke a few holes in the cheese and let it cool for a moment," Anthony warned us as he handed out spoons. The cheese needed to be pulled more than poked before it broke letting the steam escape.

"It smells wonderful," I complimented. I remembered being on the Eiffel Tower cooling my soup in almost the same way. "Even the pots look authentic," I said out loud though it was more of a thought. Abigal stifled another giggle, and I knew I was missing something. They were playing with me, and I resented that I didn't know how.

I watched Anthony fill his spoon with steaming broth and blow on it gently. Once cooled enough, he tasted it and smiled. Abigal and I followed his lead. The only thing the soup was missing was the tower itself. My taste buds agreed it was a perfect replication. I slowly took more sips to savor the flavor without burning my mouth. I looked up from the bowl with surprise to find them both grinning at me with meaning I didn't understand. I looked back at the miniature replica of the tower and back to the pots the soup was baked in. I matched their smiles.

"This is the real thing," I said with confidence. Abigal burst out laughing, and Anthony nodded, trying not to lose the soup that was in his mouth.

"It is quite good," Anthony said, taking another sip. I too had some more, scraping some cheese to add to the broth. It was stringy and required a fight to break it away from the bowl. Well worth the effort. I began to think I was enjoying it too much. I didn't want to be happy here, not without Sam and our freedom. I was about to lay down my spoon and become obstinate when it occurred to me that it would give away too much.

"You flew this across the world for me?" I asked, dipping my spoon once again. I would suffer the luxury to keep up appearances. At least, that's how my taste buds justified it and it tasted good.

"The kitchen refused to give up their secrets, and I had never tasted it before," Anthony said. He took another sip and digested it like it was a fine wine. "I think I taste a hint of brown sugar, maybe they caramelized some of the onions first." To me, it was food of the gods. I wasn't even sure I wanted to know how it was constructed. "They did allow me to finish it here, but the broth itself was prepared in Paris."

"There is nothing we won't do to make your life more comfortable," Abigal added between sips, "our resources have very few limits." Frank walked in while we were eating, a clipboard in his hand. I hadn't seen him since I had arrived and welcomed the intrusion. I like that he made me a little uncomfortable. I needed to be more uncomfortable.

"Mr. Corbett will be here tomorrow afternoon," Frank announced, "he would like to meet with you around 2:00, Natalie." He made it sound like a question, his eyebrows up with an uncommitted expression. I briefly wondered what would happen if I declined.

"That will be fine," I replied as if my approval wasn't a forgone conclusion.

"Good," Frank said, writing something on the clipboard, "then he will meet the child..."

"Teegan," I interrupted, and was astonished when it was in unison with Abigal. Frank looked up.

"We don't want to dehumanize her," Abigal said, giving me a knowing look. I nodded. Frank smiled.

"Of course," Frank continued, "Mr. Corbett will meet alone with Teegan around 3:00." Alone was not what I hand in mind. My opinion of Corbett was lowering with each hour. Putting my foot down so early in the game may do more harm than good. I knew he wasn't going to hurt her, but what if he felt her growth in power? What if he sensed Sam? What if he found out his future baby factory was already pregnant? I wasn't sure how much I could influence someone else's bond, but being there seemed preferable.

"Are you sure I shouldn't be there?" I asked as innocently as I could, "What if she gets frightened?" Everyone looked at Teegan, happy in the crib.

"Does she get frightened?" Abigal asked, "She only loses the smile when she concentrates. I held her in that damn suit for hours, and it didn't seem to bother her." I had to back-peddle before they thought I was up to something.

"I guess you're right," I said, "It's just that I feel like her mother and think I should be there when she meets someone new."

"Well, you can certainly ask Mr. Corbett," Frank said, "but he was set on meeting her alone. Teegan will probably remember him. You can think of him as a grandfather if it makes you feel better. He cherishes her as much as you do."

"I guess he does," I said. My head was spinning with what could go wrong. I wasn't sure how close Sam was or when we would get out of here. It would be preferable to be gone before Corbett showed up.

"Enjoy your lunch," Frank said with a forced smile. He headed off into the bowels of the mansion while writing something on the clipboard. I turned back to my soup, trying to hide my concern. I always did well in court, steering the jury to the desired outcome. Why did I feel so weak in this house? I wasn't sure how much power I had and what the true rules were. They would fly soup from Paris for me, but I don't think they would cross Corbett. It would take a few weeks, maybe months, before I could risk testing their loyalty. I didn't feel good about tomorrow.

"The soup is excellent, Anthony," I said. At least, my taste buds were happy. Our conversation then moved to what I had seen when I was in France and where everyone else had traveled. Anthony had been on an Antarctica cruise. We listened as he described the beauty of the ice and the penguins. I half listened as my mind went over the possibilities of the next day. I had no idea how to warn Sam. Of course, he might have assumed Corbett was already here. How can I send a message when my language consisted mostly of feelings?

Victor again joined Teegan and me for a walk that afternoon. He was easy to talk to and seemed to enjoy my conversation as well. He was observing my reactions to his words in an analytical way. He was still not convinced of my commitment. Not that I had given him any reason to think I had fully committed. He took me on a tour of the pool building. It looked like a greenhouse from the outside and was attached to the opposite side of the mansion from where we were spending most of our time.

I disliked the pool. Teegan became excited at the sight of the water, wiggling her legs like she wanted to crawl out of the stroller. I knew I would be swimming with her soon. It was a magnificently large pool and made me feel inadequate. A beach type entrance on one side would allow Teegan walk into the water and play in whatever depth she desired. I could never provide such facilities for my children, at least not at home. The house was a child's dream. The advantages Teegan would have growing up in a place like this is unfathomable. I was sure the best tutors were being lined up for her education. My desire to remove her seemed so selfish.

"Would you like to take Teegan for a swim?" Victor asked. I nodded as imagined guilt darkened my thoughts. "Is there something wrong?"

"It's all too much," I said with some exasperation.

"It's exactly what Teegan and you deserve," Victor said. I sighed. "Let me call and find some swimsuits. Maybe a little fun will ease your mind." He stepped away to phone that sat on a table in the corner. I lifted Teegan out the stroller after I had removed her shoes. I rolled up her pants legs and duplicated the efforts on my own feet. Just as I expected, the water was at a perfect temperature. It was all I could do to keep Teegan in the ankle deep depth before we changed into our suits.

"Abigal is sending a one piece for you that should fit," Victor said as he met us at the water's edge. I noticed that two of the black-shirted security guards had stationed themselves in the opposite corner of the pool area. They sat on stools I hadn't noticed before. "Lifeguard duty," Victor said when he noticed my eyes finding them. I should have known. Far enough away to not interfere, close enough to save the day if necessary.

"You're still deciding," Victor said as he pulled a chair close to the edge and sat down. I was bouncing Teegan's feet in the water by lifting her up by her hands. It was enough to keep her enthralled until the suits showed up. "I can see in your face you're still aren't sure of all of this."

"Do you blame me?" I asked, my eyes on Teegan's smile. It always softened my mood and put everything into perspective. Happiness is the true goal in life, happiness wrapped in harmony. Sam was my happiness. My family was my happiness. Teegan was family.

"No, change is never easy." Victor said as he crossed one leg over the other. I almost expected to see him pull out a pipe. He reeked of grandfatherly knowledge.

"You look like you have words of wisdom for me," I said, adding a sly smile. I could read him as well as he read me. He smiled back and uncrossed his legs.

"I think I've said everything I could," Victor responded. I suspected he had a soft lecture ready but tossed it when he recognized that I knew a sales pitch when I saw one.

"I guess I'll find out tomorrow what will be expected of Teegan and me."

"Mr. Corbett is concise," Victor said, "do know that Teegan's welfare is very important to him." Abigal showed up with two suits in her arms. I brought Teegan out of the water not sure how we would handle the changing since I wasn't about to do it in front of the lifeguards or the cameras. They obviously had it all worked out.

"There's a screen over here," Abigal said leading the way. It was far enough away from the men to make me feel comfortable. "We can take Teegan with us for a short period of time." Abigal could take Teegan away from the cameras, but I could not. "Your welcome to use the bathroom if you prefer, I have some gloves so I can watch Teegan for a moment."

"The screen is fine," I said. Behind the screen was a changing table as well as a small chest of drawers for storing my clothes. I guessed they had backups for their backups. So much planning to make sure the prison was as comfortable as possible.

I changed into a rather unflattering one piece suit that had an adequate fit.

"Sorry," Abigal said, "we can pick out some new suits in time. That one is not your color."

"It doesn't matter," I said. I was always on camera, so I wasn't in the mood for a flattering suit. Teegan's suit fit a little better. Her diaper gave her that fat butt look that only a child could carry off.

Teegan found the pool to be to her liking. Truth be told, so did I. Victor and Abigal sat back, away from the edge holding a private conversation. If I ignored the cameras and the lifeguards, Teegan and I had the pool to ourselves. She decided to become very vocal, enjoying the echo the large room developed. I could feel her joy grow when she yelled. I held her in water up to my shoulders, bouncing her like we were in the ocean. It took only a moment for Sam to feel us. I loved how happy he was to feel our happiness. I spun my girl around dragging her body through the water. She laughed as if it were the best feeling in the world. I could feel Sam laugh with her. I could feel his love wrap around us. So pure and without any reservation. It wasn't tainted with his doubt. It was stronger than before, more determined. I found myself laughing with them, listening to the sounds bounce off the walls and confuse our jailers. I liked the stronger Sam.

We were well pruned by the time Teegan had gotten tired. I would have spent the rest of the night if she had the stamina. The water caressed me as Sam's love filled my soul. It was almost as if he was there. It felt safe and comfortable. As we walked out of the pool, the coolness replaced my warm glow with the apprehension I had been feeling earlier. I needed Sam's strength next to mine. I was weaker without him and together we were stronger than the sum of our parts.

"You two enjoyed yourselves," Abigal said as she brought some towels. Teegan let go of my hand and ran to her. It was the first time I had seen panic on Abigal's face. She hadn't donned her gloves so improvised with the towel, trying to hold Teegan at arms length while forcing a smile. I liked to see Abigal on edge, so I moved slower than necessary. I picked up my girl, wondering what would happen if Abigal bonded. Would she remain a steadfast Corbett supporter or find Teegan more important than a rich man's desires.

"Sorry," I said not meaning it, "she got away from me."

"No harm done," Abigal said, handing me a towel. She immediately put her gloves on as Victor looked on. I could almost feel his relief as well. I suspected bonding was synonymous to being fired.

"There's some flip flops you can use if you don't want to change right now," Abigal offered.

"Sure," I accepted. Might as well take a shower and get cleaned up for the next day. "Can we walk back through the house?"

"Yes, and you can take the towels with you," Abigal said as I dried off Teegan. Teegan enjoyed the feet drying, but as the towel got higher she was less cooperative. Face drying was not her favorite thing. I wrapped one of the towels around my waist and stepped into the flip flops that were brought to me. I suspect they would have sent someone to carry me if I asked. The ultimate resort I could never leave, Hotel California.

Chapter 25 - Natalie

I slept fitfully that night. Emotions, uncentered without Sam, ran roughshod over any attempt at dreams. I wondered briefly if I could talk Corbett into allowing Sam to join me here. Then I thought of my pregnancy. That was not going to go over well at all. They were building a perfect environment for Teegan. Maybe perfect was in itself imperfect. Where were the small problems we are all forced to endure. The things that make us stronger to withstand the unavoidable things like death or disaster. Do I want to see Teegan totally dependent on others and unable to survive without them? No, my daughter will be strong, that much I would demand. They would weaken her here, make her a puppet. Being Corbett's baby factory was also out. Living without Sam was a no-go. Sometime well after midnight, I fell asleep.

Tegan was insistent that I wake. When I opened my eyes, she became excited, bobbing up and down in her crib. I moved at a snail's pace, a slug that only had a few hours sleep. I moved to the edge of the bed and rubbed my eyes, trying to make sure I could lift up my girl with falling. When my body finally decided I was in full control, I picked up Teegan. Her diaper was heavy and needed to be changed. I felt Sam as the bond took hold of me. It woke me further and made me smile. I was thankful I wasn't queasy like the last morning.

Everything was so clear when the bond took hold. We were a family for better or worse. I wasn't leaving without Teegan, and Sam was just as determined to get us both out. I could feel his confidence, and it strengthened mine. I wasn't sure how strong he was without Teegan in his arms, but she would be in mine when the time came. That we could find each other spoke well of our chances. The black-shirts were the only obstacle. I wasn't sure of the extent they would go to retain Teegan on the property. The cameras gave them eyes and their numbers seemed extensive. I was living in a Bond film.

A knock on the door made me break the link. The clearness faded but the resolution of leaving remained. Teegan would have to survive on our love and forgo the best of everything else.

"Come in," I called out.

"Is everything alright?" Abigal asked as she entered.

"Yes, why?"

"You've been standing still for over ten minutes with a grin on your face," Abigal said, "we know you didn't sleep well last night." I hated those cameras.

"Ten minutes, really," I said, "how many times did I blink and exhale." I tried to make it sound humorous, but I failed toward insulting.

"Maybe you shouldn't bond so much," Abigal offered, "are you sure you're not losing yourself inside of her?" I was already lost, and nothing but Sam's physical presence would lessen the effect. Teegan had become our conduit to remain together. Was I bonding too much? Probably, but not for the reasons they calculated.

"Could be," I said, adding a smile to try to soften Abigal's thoughts, "but that's why you need me."

"It's deeper than I was told," Abigal continued, "I was led to understand it only took a moment to see, what did he call it, perfect clarity."

"It is that," I said, "but love lengthens it. Teegan has so much and desires mine in return." I left Sam out, but knew I said too much when it left my lips.

"She feels you?" Abigal asked, incredulously.

"I think so," I replied, trying to sound uncertain. I wanted to smack myself for giving away anything that might hint at Teegan's growth. Abigal sat down in a chair against the wall.

"Can you tell me what it feels like?" Abigal asked. Her face was curious, but I knew her mind was in analytical mode. "Yesterday in the pool, you both seem so happy." She smiled as a friend would.

"She's always happy," I said, again trying to hide the facts, "but there is joy and clarity in the bond. Some of that clarity continues when it's over." I decided to reinforce what she probably already knew. "you lose all apprehension, and past failures are nothing but lessons. Your true desires become unshy and expose themselves fully." Lately, all I could see was Sam; my desire was quite clear.

"What is your true desire?"

"Now, that I won't share," I replied. I set Teegan down and watched Abigal pull her bare hands up and folded them across her chest. "You could always find out yours," I added, knowing she wouldn't dare touch Teegan. Teegan stayed next to me, using my legs for added support.

"I'm not sure I want my mind altered," Abigal said, "even if it was allowed."

"It's not brainwashing," I said defensively.

"How would you know?" Abigal pushed, "you threw away a good career to shack up with a penniless drug runner in the woods. That doesn't sound like a someone who is thinking straight."

The argument that was brewing in my mind was black and angry. I knew if I let it loose, it would build a wall between Abigal and I. Defending my love for Sam to someone who didn't know him was a waste of time. My anger was a waste of time. It wasn't the first time I had considered Teegan's role in putting Sam and me together.

"You could be right," I said, pretending to think deeply, "Sam wasn't exactly my type. Maybe it's best to limit my bonding to see if I start to think differently."

"Have you even thought much of him since he hasn't had access to Teegan?"

"No," I answered with faux surprise, and after a pause "do you think he used Teegan to get to me?" It took all I had not to smile. In truth, I thought I used Teegan to get to him. If she's a brainwashing drug, I wanted more.

1...1718192021...23