The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your guess is better than mine."

"He would have come after me if he really loved me," I continued, and my eyes found the floor in thought, "now I feel used." I sighed to add to the effect. I wondered if I was overdoing it, acting wasn't my best talent.

"Maybe you used him," Abigal said with a friendly smile. She thought we would bond by her turning my shame around. I returned an embarrassed smile and let her believe it was so. "Either way, he isn't here which speaks volumes about his commitment. Love doesn't have any boundaries, or so I'm told."

"You never been in love?" I asked, desperate to change the subject.

"I'm not sure it exists,"Abigal responded, "I crossed into my thirties knowing lust, but never love. I think it's only the swoon after the act that's described by poets." She shrugged her shoulders. "I like the act well enough, but no one has been more than a diversion, and I've never had a need for a puppy." I tried to hide my pity. For the first time, I wished I could be her friend. She needed a friend.

"You're missing out," I said, "when someone becomes more important than your own life, it's world changing. Everything becomes more beautiful, and the meandering future becomes a straight line. Problems become less, and joys become more."

"You're describing an orgasm," Abigal laughed. I could see now why she was selected to watch Teegan and me. She had never bonded normally with anyone before. Feelings were superficial aspects of life to her. I wished I could have forced Teegan into her arms, let her feel what I felt when my mind finds its center and love overflows. I would never trade anything for the feeling of Sam's need of me, that strange mixture of confusion and perfect order. I smiled, as I remembered that the hesitancy was fading, confusion replaced with certainty. Knowing I could crush him with a word, and the desire to never utter it was so powerful. I was just as fragile, but he gave me only strength.

"Natalie?" Abigal prodded. I had entered my own world for a moment, smiling at the floor. Dreams of Sam needed to be replaced with his reality. I needed his physical presence to add substance to the feelings we shared.

"Love is real," I said, looking up at her, "someday you'll find it and everything will change. All your goals will weaken, replaced with something money and fame can't buy." I picked up Teegan, "I need to change her diaper." I moved quickly out the door with Abigal's eyes following me with their analytical glare. It was like trying to describe a color to a blind woman.

Chapter 26 - Natalie

The house lost its casualness when Douglas Corbett arrived. Eyes weren't finding eyes and words became commands. Concerns beyond daily existence became paramount. Even the black-shirted guards became stiffer, something I thought impossible. It was almost as if everyone was in awe of him. I had watched him enter the house from a second story window. He was not a tall man, nor impressive looking. His suit looked like it was designed for a larger man, one with more breadth. At least, he didn't find it necessary to cover the balding patch on the top of his head with a comb-over of his thin graying hair. He moved with an arrogance, without acknowledging those around him. I disliked him even more.

Lunch was brought up to Teegan and I. It was if we weren't allowed downstairs though I didn't test the idea. We were happy enough without interruption, playing with a set of rectangle cardboard blocks that were easy for her to maneuver. Teegan was building something only she could envision. I was having fun placing blocks on top of her structure and watching her, without any irritation, move my blocks to a different part of the structure. She had a design I didn't comprehend, yet didn't mind that I disturbed it. It was a strange zig-zag wall with upright spires along the way. I would have thought it some sort of fort, but she never attempted to close it off. When it was done, she stood and smiled at me. I gave her my best expression of pride. She laughed and began to knock it all down. I joined her in the giggling demolition.

Teegan began rebuilding, this time letting my contributions stand. I had no idea where her mind was as she placed brick after brick. She was enthralled with the boxy structure we were building, ever anxious to speed up its construction. I moved slowly, letting her direct the construction. It was amazing to watch her work, so determined and fixated on building whatever it was we were building. Suddenly she stopped and looked at me. It was a questioning look, so much more serious than I had ever seen her before. I don't know how I knew, but she was waiting for me to place another brick. I put another on top of our squarish structure, and she followed with another. It was important to her that we shared in the building, that she wouldn't place more blocks than me. I smiled as we took turns, building the structure higher. When we ran out of blocks, her joy exploded. I felt Sam join with wonder as Teegan and I happily destroyed our cardboard sculpture. I could feel Sam's surprised happiness. Teegan jumped into my arms, hugging me tight.

"Da," Teegan whispered in my ear.

"Yes," I said, letting Sam flow into me. Somehow I knew he was close. Closer than anyone in the golden prison would have thought possible.

A knock on the door woke us from our blissful reunion. I kissed Teegan's cheek and set her on her feet and stood. "Yes," I called.

"Mr. Corbett is ready to see you," Abigal said when she poked her head in the door. It was a summons. I wondered what would happen if I declined. The punishment would, most likely, not be worth the crime.

"Of course," I replied and waited for Abigal to enter with white gloves that ran to her elbows. Better than the chemical suit she wore the first day. "I'll be right back," I cooed to Teegan, giving her another kiss. Teegan seemed to understand and went back to the blocks. I smiled at my little architect.

"Mr. Corbett is in the library," Abigal said and sat far enough away from Teegan to not risk accidental touching. I nodded, sighed, and left hoping Teegan didn't feel less than human around someone who refused to touch her. Especially around someone who felt so little.

The library was aptly named. Victor had shown me the room, and I promised myself I would visit it again to grab a few books for nights when sleep was fleeting. The visible books were leather bound though there were paperbacks in the closed cabinets below the many shelves that lined the walls. Comfy leather chairs, each with a small table and reading lamp close, filled up the interior. Two of the chairs had high backs and were placed on either side of a table that supported a marble chess set.

"Thank you for joining me, Miss Williams." Douglas Corbett sat on one side of the chess set. His voice was deeper than his scrawny appearance would dictate. The tone held a power that was seldom challenged. One leg crossed over the other and one hand lying comfortably on his knee. His other hand held a rounded glass filled with what looked like an expensive liquor. I thought he meant to impress me.

"Please, call me Natalie, Doug," I said with a contempt I didn't know I possessed. Corbett surprised me by laughing. It was a deranged sound that seemed inappropriate for the insult I intended.

"Please sit, Natalie," Corbett said between chuckles, pointing at the chair opposite the chess set. "would you like some brandy," he added, holding up his glass, "or perhaps something else?"

"No, I'm fine, Doug," I replied as I took the offered seat. His smile didn't match his eyes. His lips found my informality humorous, but his eyes showed a little anger. It pleased me to be an irritant.

"You know your value," Corbett said, nodding his head, "I have been informed of your intelligence and stubbornness. I find it to be an asset, so please, feel free not to hide your contempt." He took a moment to savor a sip of his brandy.

"You build a comfortable prison, Doug," I commented, adding disdain on top of the name.

"Only my sister called me Doug," Corbett said, his smile growing, "she died before her time. One of the few losses which brought me to tears. It's pleasant to hear it again." He took another sip of his brandy as his eyes watched me closely. Whatever I thought of him, stupid was not in the equation. It took him only a moment to make sure I never called him Doug again. Bastard.

"Why am I here?" I asked. Putting him on the spot seemed liked a good counter move.

"I own many companies." Corbett said, settling deeper into the chair, "I'm profitable because I put the right people in the right positions. I am recognized for my financial prowess and business insight when all I have really done is hire the right people." He chuckled to himself, "It's funny, all that praise, and in truth, I deserve none of it." He raised his glass to me, "I hire the skills that make me look like a genius."

Corbett took another sip but somehow kept the ball in his court. His personality was so strong that I knew he wasn't finished, and it wasn't my turn to speak.

"I failed when Esmeralda was born," Corbett shook his head, waved his hand and corrected himself, "I'm sorry, Teegan. Her welfare is in your hands, and you have a perfect right to name her." He was a master manipulator. I didn't think a single word was unplanned. He was giving up her care to me as if it was preordained, not a dictate. A subtle compliment that I could not argue with.

"Teegan's bonding was not fully understood in the beginning," Corbett continued, "too many conflicting personalities clashing over what is probably the greatest child ever born. They all saw themselves as her savior when, in fact, she didn't need saving at all. Her welfare was in my hands and, as you have experienced, my resources are extensive." He shifted in his chair like he was about to make an important point. "Research was destroyed and people colluded to undo what I had done. A short sided view had become predominant, and Teegan was taken from me. It was the bonding that allowed the cooperation that put Teegan in danger. She was meant for such great things and instead, we found her in a small cabin, a prisoner of some uneducated criminal. I was so thankful to find out that you were there. I don't want to think of what would have happened if that brigand didn't have you keeping things in check." I tried not to react to his misunderstanding of Sam. His veiled compliments held no sway over me, a tactic I had used plenty of time in court.

"This time, I intend to do it right." Corbett said, once again shifting in his seat. It was a practiced movement that was meant to keep attention on him. "Do you know that all the research into her creation was destroyed? Even the backups were corrupted." He shook his head and smiled, "I learned a valuable lesson about the bond. It should be limited to those that can deal with its effects and hold onto a semblance of themselves. You, Natalie, are such a woman. Strong, caring, and possessing intelligence that can see the future as it is meant to be." More useless flattery. My impression of him was dipping lower with every word.

"I am here because you fear allowing others to bond," I summarized. I had already known it but felt the need to cut through the chaff he was throwing about. "What makes you think I agree with what you're doing to Teegan?"

"Straight truth," Corbett said, his sly smile trying to convey some mutual understanding. He wanted me to like him and trust him. That mountain was way to high for him to climb. "I respect that." He paused a moment and collected his thoughts before he continued.

"You care for Teegan; the bond ensures that. I know this because I care for her as well." Corbett's eyes weakened on command like he wished me to see a softer side of him. "I assume you have already concluded that she will be safe here. She would receive the best care and all the advantages that money can buy. You will provide what I will not allow others provide; human contact. You will be her mother, teacher, and friend."

"You'll stifle her," I interrupted, "this world is beautiful, but it's missing all the problems that a normal life would present. She'll grow into a weak woman."

"Then we'll make it less perfect," Corbett said, "create the problems you suggest and let her work her way through them. I am not under any impression that I am all knowing about child care. You and the others will see that she grows into what she was meant to be."

"And what is she meant to be?" I said, trying to get to the heart of the matter. I expected to watch Corbett hem and haw around some vision he wasn't ready to divulge.

"To be the mother of the children that will lead mankind," Corbett said without batting an eye, "the world will owe its existence to our children."

"Our children?" I asked, my eyebrows raised in surprise.

"My DNA ensures inheritance of name and money," Corbett continued, "Teegan's DNA will provide the power to go with it."

"You're insane," I said before I could stop my mouth. Corbett laughed, and I knew it to be true. He was a megalomaniac who understood his mortality. He intended his progeny to rule the world in his stead.

"You'll be their first mother," Corbett added, "the history books of a thousand years from now will look upon us as the saviors of civilization. Imagine the persuasiveness of the bond used for political ends. Wars and inequitable allocations of resources will end. A new order will be created, and my children's children will rule over it." He had no understanding of the bond. It didn't seek control, only the understanding of reality. His visions frightened me. His resoluteness made him a monster of epic proportions.

"I...I don't want to take over the world," I stuttered as my fear began to grow.

"It will happen," Corbett said, taking another slow sip of his brandy, "the world has difficult problems that need strong leaders to sort out. I will give the bond my determination and strength; you will provide the love. Between us, we will steer humankind to greatness. The future will owe us an incredible debt." Dictatorship from the grave. He was completely convinced his vision would hold through generations. I was equally convinced there wouldn't be a first generation. Corbett's mind was broken and saw the bond as a tool, not the blessing that it was. I hardened my resolve. Teegan needed to be removed from his influence.

"Others' have sought such a cure for human ills," I said quietly, not wanting to provoke him, "they caused many deaths trying to impose their will and failed in the end."

"I'm no Hitler," Corbett said, his voice edging on anger, "he was short-sighted and found enemies where he should have seen resources. I am more of a Gandhi with a much louder voice." He gave me a crooked smile that seemed as demented as his words. "I am no fool to think it can be done quickly. I will set up a foundation that will carry the vision into the succeeding generations. Once Teegan and our children learn to control the bond, we will begin."

"And if I disagree?" I asked softly.

"History will find no trace of you," Corbett said, his eyes firmly holding mine. It was then that my pity for his insanity turned to abhorrence. He intended to turn my daughter into a breeding machine for his future army. I had no idea how the bond was so warped in his mind. That he would even consider it a path to power was unconscionable. That he intended a world takeover brought fear that made my hands shake. I could see that he would allow no one to stand in his way or convince him of the folly of it all. I gripped the arms of the chair tightly so he wouldn't see my fear.

My heart slowed when I felt Teegan; she didn't understand my fear. She was so strong in me, as if we were touching. Sam followed, filling me with his strength. My wandering mind solidified, and I looked at Corbett with renewed determination.

"Some would construe that to be a death threat," I said, no longer fearing such a feeble man.

"If you wished to leave," Corbett said, "you should have done so when you first arrived. You desired answers, and I gave them to you. There is always a price for information."

"And you think all your people," I said, pointing at one of the cameras, "would accept your vision of the future and the costs involved." Corbett smiled and reached into the inside pocket of his jacket. He pulled out a small black rectangle, the size of a thick credit card. He held it between two fingers and displayed it to me.

"I am never recorded," Corbett said, "This device disables the recording devices in my vicinity. I tell you only because I need cooperation well beyond what I would ask of other employees. " A plan developed quickly. I began to rise from my chair. I had no doubt I could disable the man and use the jamming device to recover Teegan. My mind identified vulnerable spots about his body.

"Of course," Corbett said calmly, "if I flip this switch, the cameras go live and you'll never Teegan again." He displayed the tactile switch on the device, his thumb ready to push it forward. Teegan may give me quickness, but not enough to beat his thumb. He set his hand on his lap, holding the device like a weapon. I had no choice, I sat back down as anger I could barely control heated my blood.

I could feel Teegan's confusion as my hatred of Corbett was mirrored by Sam. It was her innocence that soothed my thoughts. She had no understanding of hatred, and I didn't want to teach her to hold on to the feeling. I took a deep breath and looked at Corbett. I adjusted to something she could understand. I sorted him in my mind with the two thugs Sam took out at the truck stop and Gerrald from the motel. They were wrong, hopefully Teegan understood wrong.

"Your nose is bleeding," Corbett said, almost rising to get help. I think he saw his breeding cow getting ill. I let the link fade by calming myself and smiled. I was tired, but not out like the last times. Anger is costly.

"My nasal passages are a little dried out," I said, "still getting used to the environment." I wiped my finger absently under my nose, and it came back red. I looked around for a tissue. Corbett produced a handkerchief and handed it to me. "I'll ruin it," I said, then proceeded to ruin it without waiting for his response.

"You understand what will be asked of you," Corbett said, shaking off the return of the handkerchief, "you and Teegan will want for nothing."

"What if I want freedom?" I sighed.

"There's no such thing," Corbett replied, "not even a bum on the street has freedom. You are always dependent on others for something. Most choices are made by default, not desire. At least, you can make history here with me."

"As a surrogate for your babies," I added.

"The mother of the future," Corbett countered, "and in time, we can attempt to bond others. Once control has been guaranteed. I can feel your distaste but you must admit, Teegan will see all of her potential fulfilled here. It can't be that upsetting to have all the mundane problems of the world handled for you."

"I have little choice," I said, hoping Sam could act quickly. Corbett wasn't one to have his plans derailed. I had no idea what would happen when he bonded and found out Teegan's true strength. I wouldn't put it past him to force an abortion when he finds out I'm pregnant. I wish I could send a clear message to Sam. He had to know how sick Corbett was. No wonder Dr. Gunderson's team destroyed all their work and pulled Teegan out of his reach.

"You have an idea of my limits now," Corbett said, "that does not mean I can't be persuaded with intelligent discourse. You see something that needs to be bettered, and I will see that it's done. Most of what we have discussed will remain between us, and I will give you ample opportunity to express your grievances in the future. Somewhere along the way, we will find a compromise that we can both live with." His practiced smile was one of victory. I doubt there were many people alive that had gotten the best of him.