The Mix-Up Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His computer screen flickered with his latest Google search. He studied the article that popped up.

Local authorities have released a photograph of a man wanted in a recent home intrusion in Little Rock's Hillcrest neighborhood.

The Little Rock Police Department state the late-night incident at 120 N. Spruce involved Gary Berry, 41, of Little Rock. Berry entered the home and subsequently a firearm was discharged. Police confirmed the shots were fired by one of the home's occupants.

Berry was also involved in an August incident at the newly constructed Riverdale Apartment complex on a series of charges, including lewd conduct and breaking and entering. He posted bail three days later. His whereabouts are currently unknown.

It is believed he is driving a dark older model sedan, possibly dark grey or black. Police request anyone with information on Berry to contact the Crime Stopper hotline. A reward of $1,500 will go to anyone whose information leads to his arrest.

~~~~~

The red fluorescent 'D' in the Dugan's sign flickered above the pharmacy, casting the faux stonework of its façade in its glow. Across the street, Gary bounced his hand on the crusty leather steering wheel and eyed the empty parking lot through the remaining lens of his glasses. He squinted at his watch. 2:13 or 2:18 AM. Headlights cut through the still neighborhood in lessening regularity.

The usual on-site security guard pulled out hours ago. Lazy piece of shit. His eyes burned in their unblinking state. If I'd been given any help at all, I wouldn't have messed up her prescription and had my life fall apart. I wouldn't be here, sitting in this shit car.

His copy of The Kingdom of Arenth, its spine broken and chapters worth of pages dangling out, lay on what remained of the passenger seat. Torn out chunks of the seat lay on the floorboard courtesy of a mid-afternoon rage. It hadn't been easy. But once he'd started ripping at the fabric, his hands had quickened into a blur. All those who wronged him twisted into his mind, their visages laughing at him. Lester. Neil. His boss. The cops. Taryn.

He wasn't sure why he'd torn up the seat. But he'd smiled for the first time in days. He strode across the street and hid behind a faux stone column. The hum of faraway traffic faded with the night. Only an occasional chirping cricket broke the silence.

He swirled his lanyard with his ID badge round and round his finger. The red and white 'entrance' sign on the pharmacy's front door greeted the world in a downcast alignment, two of its rusted screws on the pavement below. If you can't keep a sign on a door, then what right did he have firing me? God he's a nitwit. Gary's lips burst open.

"He had the nerve to fire me without cause AND forgot to deactivate my ID badge." HE SHOULD BE FIRED. But then again, what more should've been expected of him, who missed my mix-up while reviewing the paperwork?

The grey metal door clicked open, and Gary crept inside. He could do this once, if his boss had the mind to check the night's security footage and see who entered the 'vault' at 2:20 in the morning. The smell of bleach hit him, the clean scent taking him back to those early mornings when he came in and placed his soy meals in the fridge, stuffing them between the pizza and sodas his boss brought. How his white coat was crisply starched... compared to what he wore now: a ripped button down 3 sizes too big. His hand instinctively went for the light switch before he caught himself.

His flashlight's rays glinted off dozens of hanging plastic prescription bags arranged by letter. A, B, C. He upturned his nose. His stupid ass boss wasn't folding the tops correctly. Or maybe it was whoever replaced him. His boss had never been very hardworking.

Lester's body odor had floated over that same counter weeks ago. Now Gary recoiled at his own unwashed musk permeating from his armpits, its staleness threatening to overtake the bleach. Lester said that day we were more alike than I knew. His sneakers squeaked to a stop. He'd reached his destination. His light shown on what he needed, liquid vials of barbiturates and estrogen.

She'd listened to Lester's nonstop lies. Now he'd have to take matters into his own hands.

1...345678