The Offer

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'This building looks amazing.'

'It does indeed, we are very proud we have been able to acquire it.'

'You own this place? It must have cost millions.'

'Five million to be precise, so I am glad you like it. It is an investment that has proven to be paying off in the long term.'

'I have read about that.'

'It is standard textbook material I know.'

We came up to a glass door that needed to be unlocked by a code.

'Get Hildegard to print you the list of these codes, but don't memorise them. Next week chip card readers will be installed.'

Behind the glass door the office area was located. There were three personal offices and one open area where the secretaries were located. I was now introduced to Hildegard, Mark and Otto the three secretaries. Mark and Otto were quite young in comparison to Hildegard who seemed to be in her early sixties. Later that week I learned Mark and Otto were a couple and were both in their thirties. Hildegard gave me a skeptical look that made me doubt if we could manage to establish a normal work relationship.

'Hildegard could you please make and print a list of access codes for me?'

'That is in conflict with the security policy miss.'

Arjen grinned but did not intervene.

'Fair point Hildegard. Please mail it to me than. I will be able to handle the codes from there.'

'Ok miss Wenter.'

Arjen gave me a thumbs up on how I had handled this.

He led me to the middle office. It was rather spacious with a six person meeting table and a large desk with a large screen on it and a box with clearly an Apple laptop in it. The room had double doors opening into a well-kept garden. A large bouquet of flowers sat on my desk. Lilies made up a large part of the ensemble. That was a pity for I am allergic to those. Even smelling them will give me a headache.

'This is your office, mine is to your right and Johanna's is to your left. You will have a budget to make it according to your liking. I suggest you get installed and your laptop activated. There should be a letter with the needed credentials and a smart card to log in. Hildegard will help you activate your smart card. I will pick you up for the rest of the tour after lunch. I have some calls to make.'

So much for the promised tour, but it would give me some hours to read up on the company and its structure. I rumbled through the paperwork to get the smart card out and went to see Hildegard again. I found her at her desk working on some table in Word.

'Have you been working with Arjen and Johanna for a long time?'

'For the last fifteen years I've been managing their office and now they want me to be your secretary,' she said in a resentful tone.

I handed her my smart card.

'Sorry if you feel bad about that. Your experience will be invaluable to me. I need some help activating this plastic.'

'Ah the card, a new blank one even.', she said studying the white plastic card with only a number and a PO box number on it in case it was found.

'Let's see if it works just as well. You can put it in the reader here miss Wenter.'

I slid my card in the reader.

'Call me Louise please. I do not identify as a woman. By the way, about the beautiful flowers on my desk, could you please remove the lilies. I have an allergy to them.'

'Sure I will order different flowers in the future. Now fill in a pin, no repetitions, no series and six digits.'

That didn't go well I thought, but still it provided some insight in why she was acting like she did. It seemed she felt assisting me was a demotion.

I settled at my new desk opening up the laptop and connected it to the screen. I started to feel a bit more at home in the rather impersonal office space that was bigger than my home. Hildegard removed the flowers and promised new ones would come soon. The laptop worked like a charm and within half an hour it had rebooted a few times to install all kinds of updates and I could open up Outlook to see if any mail had come in. Just one, from Hildegard, with the requested list and several invites for get to know you meetings. I noticed my calendar was blocked for today by Hildegard with the title, management introduction program. I sent her a short message, asking if she was managing my calendar and if she was aware of any further planning for the day. I hoped she would respond before I would leave with Arjen. A soft knock on the open door announced Hildegard. I asked her to come in. She closed the door behind her.

'Can I be frank with you?', she asked. She had a very red face.

I nodded, a bit overpowered by the much older woman standing before my desk highly emotional.

'I don't like you. You come here waltzing in without any experience, dressed like some student and then start bossing me around.'

She looked genuinely angry or annoyed. My heart was beating fast and my head wanted to explode. I looked her in the eyes and spoke with a calm voice.

'I do not know if I like you yet either, but I do know I am hired by Arjen and Johanna to help them manage a part of their wealth. That is what I will do, if you like it or not. You will have to adjust or apply for a job somewhere else, I think.'

I never broke eye-contact when I made my power move. Hildegard turned white.

'I know I am young and I look like a student because I still am a student. My graduation is not even planned officially. This job happened very fast and I just don't own better clothes. But about the bossing around, what did you mean? I don't recall any bossing around.'

'But you will be doing that shortly.'

'Interesting angle. You judged me on my appearance and expectations. Arjen told me I should try to win you over, but I seem to be fighting an uphill battle. We need to come to some agreements on how we will work together, otherwise we will need to find me another secretary if I need one.'

'Maybe I judged too fast. You have fighting spirit. I like that. Let's build on that. Tomorrow is Friday. I will block your calendar and have Sophie available for us. We are going to spend a lot of money on business clothing for you. Then from next week onwards we'll plan the get the know you meetings.'

'Thanks Hildegard. But...., the money?'

'Don't worry, check your balance. We have just paid you for last night's assessment and some salary advance.'

'I thought you didn't like me.'

'I have reconsidered. I decided to postpone my judgement till a later moment.'

'So now we will be shopping together, why?'

'If you want to be successful, you need to look successful. You will be working closely with Mr and Mrs Spaarman and we don't want people to think you are some intern.'

'Thanks Hildegard. Thank you for your openness.'

'You are welcome miss Wenter, sorry Louise, and by the way Merel and I will indeed manage your calendar if you want. I will set up a short daily between the two of us, to make sure we are on the same page. About your phone, I think we will be buying a new one for you for work.'

'I don't want two phones and who is Merel?'

'Merel is my part-time co-worker. The phone is no problem, you can even keep your current number. We will transfer it to the company. Your phone is a bit old and can no longer be updated to our security standards.'

'Ah is that why I can't use the banking app anymore?'

Since a few weeks the banking app had uninstalled itself and I had been struggling to get it working again. I had already concluded I needed a new one and was saving for it. I knew which phone I wanted.

'Yes indeed. If you figure out what kind of phone you want we will make sure we have that available for you tomorrow.'

'Any limits I should be aware off?'

'Most managers buy I-phones, IT prefers those. Any current model is fine, just pick one.'

'Make it the newest I-phone in blue. I have been saving for one.'

'Excellent choice. I'll see if we can get it for you.'

I lunched in my office with some sandwich I had bought in the Utrechtsestraat. During lunch I tried to call Bart, my boss at the bar I worked four nights a week, to tell him I would be quitting. He could not be reached and his voicemail was not working. I'd have to try again later. I had spent a few hours reading up on Spaarman's assets. Arjen came to pick me up for the rest of the tour shortly after lunch. I noticed Hildegard was not at her desk. I asked the other secretaries where she was. According to them she had gone to do some shopping at the apple store for me.

'Impressive progress with Hildegard,' Arjen said when we had left the office area and were climbing the marble stairs.

'Thanks, it was like you said, she needs to be won over.'

'So you bribed her with a new I-phone?'

I laughed out loud.

'No that is not it, she said I'd need a new phone for my current model is not secure. I guess she went out to get it.'

'She did, she told me when she left. She likes you already.'

At the top of the stairs straight ahead double doors opened into a large formal ballroom with some beautiful chandeliers shining their sparkling light over a polished oak floor.

'You will see the ballroom Saturday night at your initiation party. They are polishing up the floor currently.'

'An initiation party?'

'Just some intimate event to introduce you, Johanna will inform you on the details.'

'I think I am able to join.'

'Have Hildegard make sure you are. It will be quite exciting for you. Next stop is the formal dining room. This will be the starting point of Saturdays party. We will introduce you to our guests at dinner so we can all get acquainted.'

We entered the large room where three large tables were set with each twelve chairs. The smell of floor wax betrayed this room's floor was also recently polished. The room looked rather dark and old fashioned with its heavy tapestries and Rembrandt like paintings.

'This is so impressive.'

'Yes, imagine it lit up properly and full of people, with an orchestra playing,' Arjen said.

'It would feel like going straight back to the golden age.'

'You'll enjoy it, I am sure. At the back is the kitchen area and the staff dressing room. We will not go there. If you are curious feel free to wander. Now follow me, we are going upstairs to where our guests will never come; our private living quarters.'

Arjen opened a door marked private, which revealed much less impressive stairs to the next floor. It was dark wood with some irregular steps and repairs, but one could still clearly see it was also original to the building. It was in some need for restoration.

'We mostly use the other staircase or the elevator at the back but this is the shortest route to the formal rooms. These stairs are very worn out, so do not stumble. We will have them restored to their old splendour starting in April.'

Arjen showed me their living room, kitchen, library, tv room and dining room. It was all very spacious but somehow cosy and comfortable. Especially the library was special. It seemed to consist of thousands of books in cases reaching to the four meter high ceiling. In the middle was a large reading table where at least six people could work in a comfortable manner.

'I guess the bedrooms are not on this floor?'

'You are right. The bedrooms, bathrooms and other rooms are on the next floor. Before I show you those I want to show you the apartment we have available for you. We'll take the elevator.'

'An elevator in your home, that is quite spectacular.'

'Yes, when we took over the place we had it installed, I never regretted it. Don't forget this is also our office and we want it to be accessible for the handicapped and the elderly. Your grandmother for example.'

I looked at Arjen questioningly. I was wondering how complete the research was they had done about my background. They seemed to be aware my grandmother was my only living relative.

I fell in love with the apartment the second I walked in. It had everything I ever dreamt off. Everything was freshly painted and the furniture was new. High end Dutch design furniture, a hard wood floor with some comfortable rugs. A very nice and roomy kitchen was the last bit he showed me. I didn't see a bedroom, nor a bathroom, only a toilet. There was an empty room Arjen referred to as a study I could change into a bedroom.

'So I can really live here?'

'Yes sure until a year after your contract ends. We would appreciate it if you'd move in. We believe that if you don't need to worry, you will be a better worker.'

'What conditions would I need to adhere to?'

'You should not destroy the place and be available for work like in the hours we discussed.'

'Where do I sign up?'

'You already did. It is in your contract. You are aware both sides can still end the whole deal till Sunday morning 10:30 AM?'

'That is a very specific time.'

'It is after the party. By that time you will have had time to get an impression of where Johanna and I want to take this and make up your mind.'

'It seems there is not much to doubt.'

'I like your attitude. We have a meeting planned for Sunday with the notary and someone from the bank to make it formal. Ok now follow me down the service stairs to the floor we have skipped. It is where the bedrooms and other private areas are. Johanna will take you over from there. I need to get some work done.'

I was surprised they wanted to show me even their most private rooms but just went with the flow. I noticed there were no locks on the doors between my apartment floor and their top most private floor. I asked Arjen about that.

'That is true. We never gave that much thought. We will have that made in order when you move in. Cards readers ok?'

I nodded, relieved it had been a normal oversight. Without further thought I pushed the door open to their floor.

When I entered I suddenly stopped in surprise, causing Arjen to bump into me. Here all the business like atmosphere was completely gone. I felt Arjen's hands on my hips to steady himself, preventing a fall. It felt like I entered another world. The hard wood floors were covered with red carpets and more modern paintings had replaced the Dutch masters paintings on the lower floors. Soft piano music was playing. Most paintings were nicely done modern nudes, male and female and some were a bit explicit. I felt myself getting somewhat aroused. I felt my face starting to glow responding to the more erotic interior. Was it warmer here than in the rest of the house, or was it just the effect of the visual input and Arjen's sudden closeness? I laid my hands on his and pushed them carefully of me, turning to face him. I was almost in his arms and felt the heat radiating from him.

'Sorry,' he mumbled: 'You suddenly stopped and I nearly fell. What happened?'

I didn't know why but I leaned into him, putting my head on his chest. He responded by holding me to him. He smelled so nice.

'I was surprised. It is quite a change from the rest of the art you own. You could have warned me.'

'And spoil the chance of getting his hands on you,' Johanna said appearing from a nearby room, dressed in a silk bathrobe.

I stepped away from Arjen. My face went beet red. She laughed at my embarrassment.

'Don't worry Louise. I know nothing has happened. Please join me in my room. Arjen don't you have a meeting to attend?'

'As a matter of fact,' he started, but Johanna interrupted him.

'I don't care darling. I will guide Louise further this afternoon. Could you please make yourself scarce?'

With a wide grin Arjen walked up to his wife and kissed her deeply.

'Bossy woman,' he said, 'You'll pay for this tonight.'

'Hmm I can barely wait. Now go!'

Arjen left with a wink to me.

'Are you always bickering like this?', I asked after he had left.

'Only in front of people we trust.'

'Why do you think you can trust me, you hardly know me.'

Johanna walked into a room that oozed femininity. It was like an old fashioned boudoir but then modern. Everything in the room was related to comfort and taking care of yourself. I stood there in a bit of confusion. Johanna gestured for me to take one of the comfy chairs to sit in.

'We know we can trust you. We have been watching over you since your parents died.'

I was perplexed. I had never seen these people. I didn't even know they existed. They however seemed to have been invested in my life for some time now.

'Why?'

'Why what?', Johanna asked with a friendly smile, 'You should be more specific.'

She sat down on a stool by her make-up mirror and started cleaning her skin using some cleaning pad and lotion.

'Why me?'

'Your parents arranged for us to watch over you.'

'You knew my parents?'

'No we did not on a personal level, your father was a professor at our University, but you are insured with us.'

That didn't make any sense. I felt she was making this up as she spoke. I confronted her with my thoughts. As far as I knew the Spaarman Estate did not sell insurances.

'You do not know everything we do yet, sweet Louise, but you are right. It doesn't make sense. But imagine Arjen and myself were not always this well off. When we met we were both looking for creative ways to raise money to start a business. Arjen came up with the idea of care bonds. The idea was we would sell bonds that entitled the owner to full care by us for their children in case of an untimely death. Your dad was actually our professor at the time and we sold such a bond to him for about 10,000 Euro. To be honest it was also the only one we sold, because your dad explained to us it would be impossible for us to honour the agreement in a reasonable way.

'How come he spent 10k on a useless bond?'

'It was a sponsored student contest and I think he believed in our business sense and idea's.'

'Sounds like bullshit to me.'

'Maybe it was bullshit but our intensions were to honour this bond and it seemed your dad thought the same. He had put this bond in his last will to be claimed on your behalf by the notary. So when we were informed of your parents ill faith we started looking after you.'

'Sophie told me you had had multiple interviews like mine with other applicants, so that seems untrue.'

'My driver Sophie? She talks too much, but she is only half right. We never interviewed them, only Mrs Meavis did. These candidates were for a different position anyway, but none of them were hired by us. Mrs Wildschutter was our accomplish at the University in knowing when to contact you. She had regular contacts with you. Mrs Meavis was just instructed to interview you like she had done the other candidates. She had nothing to do with selecting you.'

That explained to me why she had acted so strange.

'In what sense were you looking after me?'

'You didn't need much taking care of. You were doing well by yourself and the help of your grandmother. Only once we interfered.'

I looked at her in renewed surprise. I had never noticed anyone bothering with my affairs.

'I think you didn't know your parents mortgage debt was about to be transferred to your name. You had preliminary accepted the inheritance of the house, but the mortgage was way higher than the value of the property. We paid of the mortgage.'

'No way! Someone warned me about that mortgage during the time I was given to consider the pros and cons of accepting the inheritance. I therefore declined the inheritance, preventing my own bankruptcy. After that the bank sold the house.'

'I know you did, rightfully so, and therefore we bought it. We now own your family home until you want it back.'

'That feels weird.'

'I guess so. Let me be clear. If you want the house you will own it, with everything your parents owned, no costs for you, except taxes. Otherwise we will sell it for you.'

Suddenly last year's grief overwhelmed me. I just started crying uncontrollably. Johanna stood up and took me in her arms. I felt her warmth and soft skin as she was doing what she could to comfort me.