The Only Exception Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My wolf, however, was on edge from not seeing him. My preheat was in full force and, at the best of times, I was terribly needy and desperately clingy, craving any type of physical contact available to me. I often cuddled up to my siblings, in need of a caring touch, and we would watch tv or read or crochet. Any excuse that allowed me to be close without acting too obvious about it. However, now I couldn't stand for anyone to touch me. I stayed isolated in my room when I wasn't at work and locked the door so that they wouldn't try to comfort me. Even my own mother hugging me felt uncomfortable and the lack of physical contact was causing me to become extremely depressed.

It was strange and painful how badly I craved Adam, for nothing less could sooth me and I hated that. I wished I could depend on my family like normal so that I wouldn't become a bother to him or get in his way. He said he loved me. I didn't want to do anything that would cause him to fall out of love with me. He was human so I knew that could happen. I wouldn't let it happen. So I stayed quiet about my steadily increasing need for him to help me nest. I wanted to be a good boyfriend. I didn't want to ask for too much. He was busy and that was okay.

It was just fine except for that part where my skin was itching to be touched by him, even in the smallest way. If only he was here to hold my hand or brush the hair off of my face, then I'd feel better. If he could just squeeze an hour into his day for me, or even five minutes, I could let that be enough but I refused to beg for it. It felt too selfish. Even still, my wolf longed for something as simple as his heated gaze to be on me and I hadn't seen him in seven days. I missed him terribly and the only relief I felt, aside from being locked back up, was knowing the human had already committed to my heat. I wouldn't have to wait for him too much longer if it came down to that but I hoped to see him sooner.

The smell of curiosity, anxiety and dread began to waft its way through the air until it passed directly under my nose. I was immediately distracted from my own troubles when I realized that I was scenting someone. An omega. His scent was strong, overbearingly so, and the closer he got the more I could make out everything he was feeling from the smell alone. The Lotus Prince was here!

I turned slowly and stared at the door of the break room for about ten seconds before a tiny, pale omega darkened the doorway. He looked so much healthier than he had at the grocery store and I couldn't help but be pleased at the sight! The bruising on his skin had faded completely and his hands were no longer mangled and bandaged. In fact, his fingernails were painted with an iridescent glitter. His white hair had grown significantly so that it now resembled a sort of pixie cut and I attributed the speed of this change as a side affect of his pregnancy. The bump was small but noticeable and his slim arms were wrapped tightly around it. The prince was dressed simply in a pair of dark jeans and a light pink hoodie that made him look somewhat common and not like the only heir of our queen and her luna.

The omega faltered in his gait, perhaps not expecting someone to be staring the moment he entered the room but with a scent that strong, my reaction could hardly be helped. However, it was not my intention to upset the prince anymore than I already had so I quickly averted my eyes, dropped to my knees and bared my neck for him. Prince Fae didn't say anything for a long time but I could smell how indecisive he was. He recognized me, that much was for certain, but he wasn't sure what do to about that. I stayed on my knees and waited patiently for him to decide what he wanted, attempting to appear as small and non-threatening as possible, which was hard to do given how short the prince was. I bowed my head and sent a silent prayer to the moon goddess that my prince would ignore me rather than say something unkind. He looked around the room and seemed to find confidence in the fact that it was only us here because that was the moment he finally walked all the way inside. He shut and locked the door behind him and my heart began to race. My anxiety was causing me to sweat and I bit my lip so hard I drew blood, though I did everything to conceal my scent from prince Fae.

"I heard some things about you," the prince finally said as he looked down at me with a preoccupied expression. "People like to talk.. especially to me. I guess since I'm a prince now or something." Then he walked over and sat down next to where I knelt on the floor.

"Is there something that was said that you wish to discuss with me, my prince?" I asked nervously with my head hung low, unable to help the slight quiver in my voice.

He sighed. "I suppose. I didn't want to see you, you know? But my mother's.. they're teaching me how to lead the pack and, according to them, I need to hear every side of a story before making my mind up about a situation. Especially if I want to banish someone."

My blood ran cold and I felt as if my heart stopped beating. "Y-you want to.. m-my prince whatever I've done-"

"I did," he interrupted. "I don't like feeling as if I have competition for my alpha and.. I'm not quite capable of having to bare looking at my competition every day for the rest of my life. But then... I heard some things and now... I don't know what I want," he interrupted but his scent had changed again and this time he smelled of nothing but pity. He tucked his small hand under my chin and lifted my head so that I was forced to look him in the eye. "You were raped," he stated as if he didn't need me to confirm his words but I did anyways.

"It was a long time ago," I replied softly, completely humiliated to be confronted over it. I just wanted to forget it ever happened. I tried to turn my face away but prince Fae didn't let me.

"I was too but I think you already knew that.. considering what you saw at Frank's," he confided, looking lost in thought once more.

"I would never compare my suffering to yours my prince. It's been years. I've recovered well enough. It's not even a thought anymore."

"Don't lie," he ordered with a hard look in his eye. "I know what that beta did to you. I know what those humans did too, mother's told me. No one has that happen to them and just forgets about it. Besides, if you were fine there wouldn't be so much for people to talk about." Then he dropped his hand from my face. "I know so much and yet I can't stop my omega from hating you. Maybe it's the pregnancy or maybe it's how I really feel. I don't know. Don't you hate me too? Knowing Cain chose me over you?" Prince Fae said the words gently, almost apologetically. As if he were actually concerned that I was harboring secret feelings and was dying on the inside over not being chosen.

"I wasn't a real option my prince and I could never hate another omega for finding their alpha," I replied honestly. "And if I had known how you felt about him before... I never would have accepted that date. I wasn't trying to stand in your way. I don't have feelings for your alpha. It never got that far. It was just one bad date. I never presented for him or anything like that! I swear!" Fae held his finger to my lips in an attempt to quiet me. "Please your highness, I beg of you to believe me," I mumbled against them.

"I want to believe you. I don't enjoy feeling angry with people." He dropped his finger and gazed down at his hands. "Mother's say that we were friends once...but that was a long time ago. I don't know you."

"My prince-" I started, in fear that our conversation had come to an end and what that meant for me.

Prince Fae held up his hand for me to stop speaking. "Help me up," he commanded and when we were both on our feet he gripped my hands tight before he looked up at me. "Do you want know what I remember most about that night? What makes my dislike for you so irritating to my soul? I remember that you were kind to me when nobody else was. My own mate wasn't kind but you were. You defended me. My mate didn't even try to stop anything but you did! You were in a house with powerful beta's and an alpha but you didn't care. You refused to let me defile myself and I can't get that out of my head. You were so careful with me. You're a good omega. Better than I could ever hope to be because I would have obeyed them. You're a worthy opponent and the thought plagues me constantly. Mother's have also brought it to my attention that my mate and I are greatly indebted to you. You saved my alpha's life. You saved me. So you see, I can't actually banish you over jealousy, can I?"

"That was nothing-" I started but prince Fae shook his head and cut me off.

"It was not nothing. Not to me," he replied with a fierce glare. "As someone who will one day rule over Lotus pack I intend to be fair. I understand, no matter my personal struggles, that you are a valuable member of my pack and you are entitled to better from me. I will not banish you. Ever. My thoughts on that are final. But," he looked away, "I don't know if we can ever go back to being friends."

"That was a long time ago my prince. Do not feel obligated to befriend me," I replied as I tried my best to conceal the wave of rejection that swept over me despite his generous proclamation of my non banishment.

Prince Fae nodded once and let me go. Then he turned to leave and unlocked the door. As he pushed it open he turned back to look at me once more. "I.. we.." he looked down at his belly. "Actually do like oranges. So.. sorry," he muttered in a childish manner as he looked at the ground. His cheeks flushed pink while the air filled with the scent of his embarrassment. Then he left without another word.

I sat there stunned for several minutes as I attempted to process what had just happened. Then I slowly pulled on my shoe and reached for my phone. I felt shaken to my core. I thought I was about to be banished from my pack and despite the more fortunate news, I needed comfort. I needed to see my alpha desperately! I pressed call and waited as the phone ring while my heart raced beneath my chest. Unfortunately, Adam didn't answer but he did send me a message saying he'd give me a call in an hour. My wolf whimpered pathetically as I read the text. I didn't want to wait. I needed my alpha now but I did nothing more to reach him. I would behave myself.

I slipped my phone back into my pocket, forced myself to get up and mechanically went through the motions of my work day with a smile plastered across my face. When Adam called later I could tell he was distracted so I made up the excuse that I'd called him on accident and then asked if he was too busy to watch a movie tonight. All I really wanted was for him to hold me so it felt like a good cover. He said that he was too busy but he would still call me tonight like normal and then he had to go. I felt more miserable than I had before the call and wrapped my arms around myself in an attempt to self sooth. When that didn't work, I walked out of the hospital building without even clocking out. I slowly made my way to a small tattoo shop at the edge of the neutral zone, fully intending on dulling the pain I felt over being dismissed with a new work of art. My first ever.

It was exceedingly difficult to be so close to the diner but I didn't try to make an attempt to see Adam. I simply got my tattoo and went home, too scared that if I pushed, he'd stop loving me. All the while I kept thinking to myself that maybe my alpha would want to see me tomorrow. I just had to keep it together. It was fine. I was going to be fine. Everything was fine.

*******

-Three days later-

Adam's Pov:

The bell to my mom's diner jingled loudly and I looked up from the table I was cleaning. We were in a lull between lunch and dinner so it was pretty dead right now. I was surprised and annoyed that someone would come in as I'd been hoping to call my boyfriend. I felt my jaw tighten instinctively when I realized that the visitor wasn't a customer at all.

"Gabe?" I asked calmly and put my tray of dirty dishes back on the table. "Is there a reason you're here or are you just trying to start trouble?" I knew the beta hated me. He made it clear with every interaction we had and I could only imagine two reasons for his visit. Either something was wrong with Benny or he was here to fight me. Neither option appealed to me.

The man's blue eyes seemed to darken in anger, "I'm here to do what my little brother won't," he practically snarled as his hands balled up into fists.

"And that is?" I growled in return, ready for him to throw the first punch.

He glared at me for a long minute before he finally relaxed his hands and took a deep breath. "Look. We both know I can't stand you and I think Ben can do better but.. the truth is.. he chose you to spend his heat with and I agreed to help with that. Which, unfortunately for me, includes informing you of how much you're fucking this up right now!"

I looked around the diner. It was completely empty aside from me and the beta and my mother was upstairs taking a nap. I walked over to the front door, locked it and turned the sign from open to close. "Would you like some coffee?" I asked as I grabbed a pair of mugs and sat them on a nearby table. He nodded in agreement and took the seat I offered. "So, what am I doing wrong?" I asked as I watched him mix two packets of sugar into his coffee.

"You.. aren't going to argue?" He asked with a shocked look.

"Why would I? I know nothing of your packs ways or how to deal with an omega in heat. I'm sure to do everything wrong without some help. Whether you want to accept it or not, I care about your brother. I'll do anything to make him more comfortable."

"You're.. surprisingly humble.. for a human." Gabe spat out begrudgingly then followed it with, "My baby brother isn't the most honest person when it comes to his own needs. He doesn't want to be a burden and I sometimes worry he thinks he doesn't deserve to be treated kindly. Though.. if you know him as well as he claims that should come as no surprise."

I nodded in agreement and waited for him to continue.

"Ben is currently in the phase of his cycle called preheat. I don't know how much he's told you about that but.. omega's really need physical contact during it or they get extremely sick. They need more and more the closer their heat gets and you!!" A growl ripped out of Gabe's throat and he gripped the table until his knuckles turned white. "I mean-never mind you haven't convinced him to sneak out and spend the night again but you haven't even spent five minutes with my brother past ten days! Ben hates talking on the phone! Did you know that? He hates it and that's all you've given him during his preheat?! What the hell is wrong with you?! He's not okay and it's all your fault!

You haven't even given him something for his nest and it's nearly finished! He should already be in full blown heat but his body is stalling the process because he won't let anyone touch him! This is killing him! Did you know he walked out on his shift four days ago and called off the past three to do nothing but sit in his room? No? Of course not! How about the fact that he didn't eat yesterday? I went to see him and spent three hours trying to force him into eating a slice of bread but he threw it up! Not to mention, our mother thinks he's been skipping meals for several days!" Gabe stopped ranting then to pant for breath, glaring at me the entire time as if daring me to interrupt. Then he closed his eyes and started again in a more calm tone.

"His wolf is depressed and he doesn't want you to know. Though I don't see how you can be so blind about it but fine, whatever. He thinks he'll just get in the way when you're so..." he looked around the empty diner with a frown, "Busy." I didn't respond to the dig so he continued. "The problem is, no one else seems to be able to help him and I'm the only one that knows why but our mother might become suspicious soon if something doesn't change. Right now she thinks he's depressed about not having a mate and that he's stalling his heat on purpose since this could be one of his last. But if he keeps isolating himself the way he is she'll realize it's because he's already attached! Then his secret will be blown or she'll accuse him of being abandoned by a potential mate and that will start a whole new set of problems for him. He'll be miserable if that happens and he might... I just.. look, I can't let that happen. I can't let him get to that dark place again. So," he sighed in defeat, "I'm willing to lie and say he's at my place if you make time for him tonight. Spend all night with him and all the next morning at the very least. Please. He needs you," Gabe nearly begged.

"Of course he can see me! I had no idea he was struggling so much! I didn't know he needed.. he never said it was important. He said he was tired and that it didn't matter. That we'd get together another time. So, I just thought.. I.. fuck I don't know. I'm so sorry," I murmured worriedly as I thought through my conversations with Benny.

I realized then just how many times he'd slyly asked to see me and how I'd always shot him down. I hadn't meant to do that. His wolf must be frantic for me. Fuck. What the hell had I done to him?! Sure, I was completely overwhelmed and exhausted from learning the ins and outs of taking over for my mother as well as helping her settle legal affairs but I didn't feel like that was a good enough excuse.

"It's not all your fault. I shouldn't have said that," Gabe begrudgingly cut in with a small frown. "Omegas are difficult to care for at the best of times but Ben is on another level. He has never been one to ask for much and he usually presents as so cheerful and content that what he needs often gets overlooked." Gabe replied looking beyond aggravated over having to defend me but then his expression changed and he was suddenly furious again. "Hey! Don't you dare hurt him this time human! He was in pain for ages after the the last time you guys were together and he only just started feeling back to normal. I don't know how rough you were with him, he won't say, but you should know, he heals abnormally slow. He said you didn't know, so now you do, and you can't use ignorance as an excuse to push him too far anymore! Got that? Because if I know my brother, well, he'll never say no to you and he will never tell you how badly he's been affected after the fact. Especially if he can avoid talking about it because you two haven't seen each other in almost two weeks."

"What you do mean he heal's slow?" I asked in complete shock. Surely I hadn't hurt him that badly? I wanted him dependent yes but not for over a week! Perhaps I had been operating under the assumption that werewolves healed quickly but I didn't know any different. I expected his predicament to last two to three days at most. My boyfriend had never said otherwise, even in the early days at the dungeon when he had to fill out his medical form, he never mentioned that he healed slow. Was that the real reason he waited so long between visits? He didn't want me to know? And now that I thought about it, he had been injured for a rather long time recently...

"He hurt himself badly during one of his heats," Gabe said. "He cut out the organ that helps him regenerate his cells and then he... I think he... he tried to kill himself but I found him in time and saved his life. It happened after he told his ex about "the incident", which I'm assuming he at least told you that part if you agreed to spend his heat with him."

I nodded quietly in response as words escaped me. How could I love someone so much and never realize how badly that person was hurting? And from my own hand at that? I felt like a failure, not only as a boyfriend but as a Dom as well.