The Participation Trophy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Break them, and you will hear from Al and me. Marcus, you will take a course in soccer refereeing. You will be amazed at the rules you think you know; it will keep you from looking stupid. David, you go on over and start warming up with the rest of your team. I'll take a look at your skills in a minute."

I looked up to see Dale Jr. and Colleen standing across the field looking at me. They were 50 yards away, just standing there. I ran over to them, "Dale, you're late. Get over there and loosen up."

Colleen spoke up, "I wasn't sure if you wanted us after what his father did."

I replied. "I teach boys there are consequences to their actions, and no one is else responsible for what they do or don't do. I don't blame you or your son at all."

She then informed me the other moms never speak to her and have ostracized her from the group. I told her to stay there.

I walked over to the bleachers and asked to talk to all the mothers, "Take off your sunglasses please. I understand you have ostracized Colleen and her son. Do you realize if Dale would have come to me to do what he did to someone else's wife, mother, and sister what I would have done to him? I would have stomped him to the ground. Your husbands are just as guilty as Dale was."

"Earlier, when I realized I was destroying you for someone else's action, I called off the lawsuits so you wouldn't suffer because of your husband's stupidity."

"If you cannot forgive her in your hearts, then you're not the high-quality person that Mary and I thought you were. Mary would be very disappointed in all of you. And you are not welcomed to watch the games or the team get-togethers. It's your choice."

I looked at all the women, and they were crying with their heads hung in shame. Brandy and then the rest of the women took off running towards Collen. They hugged her and brought her back over to the bleachers. They surrounded her like they were never apart.

Matt ran back over to his players, "Boys, gather around and take off your sunglasses off. First order of business, Dale, you are the primary team captain."

"We'll choose the secondary captain for every game. Now, gentlemen, this is David, he will be joining us this year. He has ball handling and dribble skills but no game or team skills."

"We will teach him, but first line up. I want to see how fast you are this year." I walked off forty yards as the boys lined up. I blew my whistle. They took off, David won by fifteen yards. The other boys surrounded him in amazement and were high fiving him.

For the next ten years, they were undefeated in regular-season games. They won 7 regionals and 3 National titles. I became the de-facto father figure for the boys for years.

I taught them how to be men, about the birds and the bees. Made them take dance lessons under the disguise of improving their footwork. The girls in high school loved them during school dances.

What is to look for in a high-quality woman? How to change a flat tire, tie a tie? Later first-born sons were being named Mathew when they were born. All the women had remarried or been in serious relationships by now and moved on except one.

Three years after Mary's death.

I had just received my coffee from the Starbucks barista. Just as I was about to walk out, I heard my name called. As I turned to see who it was, I saw a beautiful redhead wearing a Starbucks uniform with the title manager on her chest. Colleen was waving at me.

I smiled, "Colleen, do you have a minute to talk. I'll buy you a coffee."

She laughed, "Sorry, I don't drink on the job, but I have a few minutes," pointing to an empty booth.

"How are you doing?" I asked with a big smile.

She looked at me, "Ok, Matt. How are you?"

"I am doing great. Thanks for asking." I replied. I looked around and asked, "Is this the reason I don't see you at the games very often? I see your dad and mom all the time." I looked and noticed she wasn't wearing a ring.

Colleen sighed, "As you know, we had to sell the house. Someone had to pay the bills. I really want to thank you for not suing us into oblivion.

Pausing for a second. "I hadn't worked since college, so I had no work experience when I got this job here. I was just recently promoted to manager. I have to come in early to see who comes in late." She smiled and with a concerned look she asked, "Enough about me, what about you?"

"Well, to tell you the truth, lonely. I have been contemplating calling a woman I know for a date and getting back in the saddle. I don't function well as a single man."

Colleen gave me a warm smile, "I am sure she would be happy to go out with you. You are good looking man Matt. Any woman would be proud to be seen with you."

I looked at her nervously, "You know I would have no problem facing a man in a fight. But like most men, I am scared to death that I will be turned down when I ask her. The last time I felt like this was when I asked Mary out. So, I should ask her, right?"

"You better believe it." as Colleen reached across the table, taking my hands into hers, "She would be an idiot not to go with you."

I started sweating, "I think she is beautiful, has a great smile, is kind, and very smart. I have become infatuated with her over the last year. She is all I can think about."

"Well, ask her out, you big dummy." Colleen snapped back at me. "If she won't go out with you, I'll slap some sense into her head for you."

"Good, I'll pick you Friday night at 7:30."

Colleen gasped as I got up and walked out in a hurry before she could say no.

....

We were married a year later; Dale Jr. was our best man. And all the moms and their new SO's were in attendance. I got a kick out of Big Al showing up with his two new girlfriends. The wedding guests were standing in line to be received by Collen and me. Al kissed Colleen's hand and spoke, "Matt is the only man that I would allow to stand behind me with a knife."

He then shook Matt's hand, "Matt, if you ever need something," pointing at his girls, let me know." Colleen was not happy with that statement. Al just burst out laughing again.

Colleen spoke up, "You know Al, that preacher standing over there would be glad to marry one of these lovely ladies to you today."

Al leaned into her and kissed Colleen on the cheek. As he pulled away she stopped him, "I still have the wire cutter if you ever offer Matt one of those women again."

Al quit laughing and frowned, "Colleen, I thought we were going to be friends. Matt, I don't think she likes me." He leaned over and whispered in my ear but just loud enough for her to hear, "I like her. By the way, thanks for keeping your word and building that clinic."

During the reception Al pulled me over to the side. "Matt, it's been arranged. All the men have been spread out between the state facilities. I have arranged to have people to be with them all the time.

We don't want anyone offing themselves. You told me not have them taking out so won't. But they will be working for me." Al grinned wide and showed his gold front tooth.

"Most of those men will be needing testosterone shots to keep their manhood." Al smirked, "I have arranged to have them replaced with estrogen." Matt chuckled and shook his head.

Continuing Al grinning, "They'll be working for me. I promise they will serve their full time as my whores."

Just Colleen walked up grabbing my arm. "Al, I need my husband. Do you mind?"

Al looked at me. "I have to be going anyway. Let's get together for lunch sometimes" Looking at Colleen, "You got a good man there. Take good care of him."

Colleen smiled, "Oh I will," leading me away.

Colleen asked, "Is there anything I need to be worried about?"

"No, Honey, I replied. "Just tying up some old loose ends."

xxxxxxxx

Ten years later.

Marcus and his family were sitting in my house watching the World Cup Championships with me. The U.S was in the finals. His eight-year-old twin boys, Pete and Roger were watching the game with me. Also watching was my little girl that Colleen insisted on naming Mary.

All of a sudden, David scored the winning goal. David ran over and slid on his knees in front of the camera. We all yelled and high fived each other, cheering as loud as we could.

After the game David was sitting at the after-game TV conference ready to take questions.

One of the reporters yelled out, "David! What were you thinking as you took the game winning shot?"

David smiled showing his pearly whites. "First I want to thank my folks for supporting me all the years. I also want to thank Coach Matt for his absolute belief in me." He took off his sunglasses and said, "I love you all."