The Possessed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dianna watched the events of the previous day unfold again in front of her. She watched herself pick up the green stone and walk out of the store, without consulting the clerk or anyone else for that matter. It had never occurred to Dianna that the store would watch its customers in this manner.

"Well?" said the Dean, when the recording stopped. "Do you have an explanation for this, young lady?"

Dianna realized that denial was useless so, pulling the wrapped ring out of her pocket and handing it to the Dean, she said, "I took the stone from the store, but it was a prank."

"You mean stole," corrected the Dean unwrapping the package. Noticing the ring she added, "And not just from the store either, I see."

"How's that?" asked the officer.

"The gold band is mine," said the Dean handing the ring over to the policewoman. "She must have stolen it off my desk."

"Can you prove the band is yours?" asked the policewoman.

"Yes" answered the Dean. "Look at the inscription on the inside of the band. It says Clara Kline, the name of my late partner."

"Look, I didn't steal anything," said Dianna, "it was all a prank. I was going to give the ring back, when I went to class. I was on my way there when you stopped me."

"You have a very different definition of the word steal, than I do young lady," said the Dean. "I hope you can persuade the panel at your judicial investigation of your definition." With that, she nodded at the police officers, who stood and approached Dianna.

"Wait!" shouted Dianna. "You don't understand it was all a joke." But it was too late, the police officers took Dianna by her arms and proceeded to place cuffs on her wrists.

One of the officers said, "Dianna Weiss, I am placing you under arrest for the theft of one gold ring and one precious gemstone. The evidence will be duly logged and may be accessed by legal counsel. You are advised to retain the advice of counsel as soon as possible. Temporary counsel will be provided to you after the booking process, and a hearing date will be set after your consultation."

With that, the policewoman placed the handcuffs on Dianna and grabbing her arms, led her out of the Dean's office and into a waiting police transport. Dianna was too shocked to react, and sat numb in the back of the transport on her way to the booking. Never had she imagined that things could get so out of hand.

********************************************************

When they reach the police station, the officers removed the handcuffs and placed a small dull gray metal bracelet on her left wrist. After signing some papers she was taken to a small room containing a table and two chairs and told to wait. In a few moments, a tall thin woman in her mid-thirties and dressed in a dark green business suit, entered the room and approached Dianna, who was sitting in one of the chairs.

"Evelyn MacMann," she said, sitting in the other chair. "I am your temporary counsel. Dianna Weiss, right?"

"Yes," said Dianna. "What's going on? Why did they arrest me? I told them it was all a prank."

"First things, first," said the counselor. "I know this must all be very confusing, but I will try to answer all your questions in due course. Now first, I must know if you have legal counsel?"

"No," said Dianna. "I don't even know a counselor."

"You are over eighteen, right?"

"Nineteen," answered Dianna.

"OK, then you are of legal age and can make your own decisions. If you don't have a counselor, I can provide you with a list, or if you wish, I can become your permanent counsel," said Evelyn.

"I don't have anyone," said Dianna, tears forming in her eyes.

"Would you like a list of counselors then?" asked Evelyn, handing her some tissue.

"I don't know," said Dianna. "I don't have any money to pay for a counselor and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to choose."

"Well, you have several choices. The state list contains counselors that essentially work for free. They are actually paid by the state to help people who don't have money for legal help. Some of these are quite good. I can recommend a few, if you wish."

"How about you?" inquired Dianna.

"Well, I am on the list," said Evelyn, handing the sheet to Dianna, "and I am available to represent you, if you wish. However, I must tell you that some of the counselors on the list have better success rates than I do."

Dianna looked at the list, but was too upset to examine it closely. "How long do I have to make a decision?"

"I can get you at least a week, if you want," said Evelyn. "In the mean time, I can act as your representative, if you wish. Anything you tell me is confidential, and I will pass it on only to your designated counselor when the time comes."

"Ok," said Dianna. "Can you tell me what's going on?"

"Yes," said Evelyn. "First, you have been arrested and charged with the theft of two pieces of jewelry. I think you already know this."

"Yes," said Dianna. "Does that mean I have to stay here, locked up or something?"

"No," said Evelyn. "Only in rare cases are people confined before their judicial investigation. When we are done, you are free to return home. However, you will be given a date, when you must appear at your judicial investigation."

"And if I don't?" asked Dianna, guessing the answer.

"I am sure you noticed the metal bracelet that was placed on your wrist. It's essentially a tracking device. If you try to remove it or don't show up at your investigation, the police will arrest you again," said Evelyn.

"I see," said Dianna.

"Good, now tell me what happened. Don't leave anything out, the more information I have the more I can help you," said Evelyn.

Dianna told Evelyn about her prank and how she had 'borrowed' the ring and gemstone in order to execute the joke. Evelyn listened to her, asking her questions as she told her story, and about past pranks she had pulled.

"So you have a history of this sort of thing?" she asked.

"Yes," ever since I was a child," said Dianna. When Dianna had finished she asked "so what do you think is going to happen to me?"

"Well normally, in such a case, I would suggest you plead guilty and tell the court what you told me. Most likely you would get a month or two of community service and a warning to not repeat this sort of thing again. Unfortunately, this is probably not going to work in your case."

"Why not?" said Dianna, "I told you, it's just a joke."

"I believe you," said Evelyn, 'however, the court is likely to be more skeptical, given the value of the gemstone."

"What do you mean?" asked Dianna, confused.

"As you are aware, the gemstone was a Venusian Emerald: very rare, and very, very expensive. Worth several millions, as I recall," said Evelyn.

"What!" Dianna exclaimed. "You mean it was really valuable?"

"Very," answered Evelyn. "You didn't know?"

"No," said Dianna. "I thought it was a synthetic emerald, like the stones next to it."

"Well, it wasn't," said Evelyn.

"How come, it wasn't better protected then?" asked Dianna, incredulous.

"Why?" replied Evelyn. "The last such theft occurred over fifty years ago."

"What's going to happen to me, then?" asked Dianna.

"Well, the punishment for a crime of this monetary value is usually life in servitude," said Evelyn.

Dianna started to cry. It was just unbelievable. How could everything have gone so wrong? Of all the stupid bad luck, she had taken that particular stone, probably the only one on this part of the globe!

Evelyn believed Dianna's story and felt sorry for her. She had counseled troubled young women before, but Dianna's case was quite unique. She had never seen such a combination of bad luck and ill timing and someone facing such a heavy sentence for it. "Look," she said, trying to comfort Dianna, "what I told you was the worst case outcome. If we can persuade the court that you really didn't know the value of the gemstone, then you will get a much lighter sentence."

Dianna stopped crying and looked up, hopefully at the counselor, "You think so?" she asked.

"Yes," said Evelyn, "but its not going to be easy. I'll need to look into this more, of course. For now, the best thing four you to do, is go home and rest. I'll contact you in a few days."

"OK," said Dianna.

When Dianna got back to her room in the dorm, Karen was waiting for her, worried about what had happened. Of course, word had quickly spread across the campus of Dianna's arrest, and all sorts of rumors were being discussed.

"Thank god!" said Karen, when the door opened and she saw Dianna walk in. "I was so worried! Everyone is talking about what happened. Are you OK?"

"Yes, no" said Dianna, collapsing on her bed and starting to cry. "It was awful! They arrested me for taking the ring and the gemstone."

Karen sat next to her friend and put her arms around her. After a few minutes Dianna stopped crying and told Karen what had happened that afternoon. When she was done, Karen said, "Do you think this Evelyn is a good counselor?"

"I don't know," said Dianna. "She seemed like she wanted to help me, but I don't know. I'm so confused." And with that, Dianna started to cry again.

Karen said, "Listen, one of my parents is a counselor, I'll call her tomorrow and see if she can recommend someone."

"Thanks," said Dianna. The young women talked a little longer, but Dianna was exhausted and soon, both went to bed. Dianna lay in the dark for sometime, tossing and turning as she thought about the day's events. Eventually she fell into a restless sleep, where she remained until morning.

********************************************************

The next day, upon awaking, Dianna received a message from the Dean's office. She had been placed on suspension, pending the outcome of the judicial investigation. She was allowed to remain in her room at the dorm, and continue her studies, but she could not attend classes or other school functions. This did little to cheer Dianna, but in a way she was relieved, since she would not have to face her classmates.

Karen had left early, and Dianna spent the day in her room, thinking about the previous day and pretending to study. Shortly before lunch, Karen bounced into the room and proclaimed, "Good news! I talked to my parents and gave them the list of counselors you got yesterday. They looked it over, and said that Evelyn is one of the better ones. They suggest you use her, if you can."

"Good," said Dianna, not quite sharing her friend's enthusiasm. She was happy to hear about Evelyn, but it did little to relieve her worries.

Karen sensing her mood said, "I know it's not much, but at least you have someone good representing you. I want you to know, that I'll be there for you during the investigation. I'll even testify in your behalf. I know you didn't intend to keep the emerald".

"Thanks," said Dianna, "you're a true friend."

"What do you say, we go and get some lunch?" asked Karen. "You've been cooped up in here all day; it must be driving you crazy."

Dianna was not very hungry, but she was tired of sitting around in the tiny room. She was depressed, but she had pretty much worried herself out. "Sure," she said getting up and grabbing her sweater, "lets go; I am getting tired of sitting in here."

********************************************************

A few days later Evelyn called and Dianna told her that she would like Evelyn to represent her. "Very good," said Evelyn. "I would like to talk with you and your friend Karen, can we get together tomorrow?"

"I think so," said Dianna. "I'll check with Karen, but I'm pretty sure she's available."

"Good, say about two o'clock?"

"Sure, where's your office?" said Dianna.

Evelyn gave Dianna the directions and said, "I'm going to talk with the Dean this afternoon, if I can. Maybe I can persuade her to have the police drop the charges for stealing her ring. You haven't pulled any other pranks on her, have you?"

"No," said Dianna.

"Good," said Evelyn. "I'll see you tomorrow."

********************************************************

The next day Dianna and Karen arrived at Evelyn's office at two. Evelyn worked for a prominent firm specializing in criminal cases. It turned out she was a junior partner, and well respected by her colleagues. After questioning Karen and listening to what she had to say about Dianna, she said, "Good. I think your testimony is going to help a lot."

The spirits of both young women were buoyed by this, and Karen said, "Do you think we have a good chance for a light sentence?"

"Yes," said Evelyn. "However I must caution you not to get your hopes up too much. I tried to talk with the Dean yesterday, but she was unwilling. I did a little poking around, and I found that the ring Dianna took had a high sentimental value to her."

"How's that?" asked Dianna.

"Turns out, it belonged to her one and only partner. They were together for a long time, until she died in a rather tragic accident. The poor woman's been heartbroken ever since, and as far as I can gather, has remained single."

"That's sad," said Karen.

"Yes," said Evelyn. "I think it might help, however, if Dianna were to write a note of apology."

"Sure," said Dianna, "I had no idea."

"I know," said Evelyn. "You don't have to make the letter long, just sincere. Tell her you didn't realize how important the ring was to her, but don't get into the details. When you're done give the letter to me, and I'll see she gets it."

"OK," said Dianna.

"One other thing," said Evelyn, "I know you're living at school and that you have been placed on suspension. It's really important that you follow all the rules. Keep a low profile, stay in your room, and don't talk to the other girls, especially about your case. I know it's hard, but it's only for a short time, till after the investigation is over."

"When is the investigation?" asked Karen.

"It's set for a week from today. In the mean time, write the letter of apology and concentrate on your studies."

********************************************************

The next week dragged for Dianna. She wrote the letter of apology as Evelyn suggested and gave it to the counselor. Dianna at first thought this would be a difficult task, but it turned out to be substantially easier than she would have imagined. The reason was that Dianna was actually sorry for what she had done. Although she didn't particularly like the Dean, she had never intended to hurt her either. Evelyn was quite pleased with the letter saying, "Very nice. This should help."

For the remainder of the week Dianna busied herself with coursework, but her mind was preoccupied by the upcoming investigation. At best her efforts were half-hearted and she knew that she would have to review everything she did once this was all over. That is, assuming she did not end up as a slave. Karen did her best to keep Dianna's spirits high, but this became more difficult as the week wore on, and she became increasingly anxious from being confined and waiting.

When the day of the investigation came, both young women arrived in the hearing room early dressed in their best business clothes. Evelyn had advised both to dress neat and conservatively. She was not disappointed when she greeted them in their suits. "Before we go in there are a few things you should know," she began. "First, this is not like some old courtroom drama of centuries past and popularized in countless vids. As you should have learned in your high school civics class, we no longer have an adversarial system of justice. Questions can be asked by anyone on the panel, though the counselors usually do most of the talking and presenting. If you are asked a question, you must answer it truthfully. Whatever you do, don't lie. You may not like some of the questions, or the way they are asked, but try to keep your cool, and tell the truth."

"Can I refuse to answer?" asked Dianna.

"No," said Evelyn. "No one can force you, of course, but the objective of the investigation is to find the truth, and as such, any refusal to answer on your part is viewed as an attempt to hide the truth from the panel."

"Another thing," continued Evelyn, "don't speak unless you are asked a question. I'll do the talking, that's what I get paid for."

"OK," said Dianna and Karen, nervously and in unison.

"Good, let's go in and take our seats."

Dianna was surprised by what she saw inside. The room was much smaller than she had imagined. Its main feature was a large almost square table, surrounded by twelve or so well padded chairs. Evelyn, Karen and Dianna took seats along one side of the table as soon as they entered the room. Across from them sat the Dean and a woman Dianna had never seen before, but who somehow reminded her of Evelyn. Seated to their left were six women dressed in black robes. The fourth side of the table was empty except for a large chair. The room also contained two benches about eight feet long, along one wall. The benches were empty, but presumably for spectators or other interested parties. Dianna had some how pictured a larger room with more people, instead of the almost cramped space that surrounded her.

A woman dressed in a gray jumpsuit standing next to a door on the opposite wall announced, "Catherine Wells, lead Judicial Investigator," as the door opened and a blond woman who appeared to be about fifty and wearing a black robe with a red border, entered the room and sat in the large unoccupied chair to Dianna's right. The six women to Dianna's left were also judicial investigators, but acted more as a jury. The blond woman who had just entered acted as a sort of judge, mediating the proceedings.

The woman seated next to the Dean, Chloe Washington, was the prosecutor. Catherine Wells began by saying, "Judicial Investigation of the State versus Dianna Weiss is now in session. Are all parties present and ready to begin?"

"Yes," answered the prosecutor.

"Yes," said Evelyn.

"Very well, then proceed Ms Washington."

The investigation did not begin like Dianna had expected. The prosecutor began by stating the names and occupations of all the parties involved and detailing the evidence, such as the recordings taken at the jewelry store. Dianna was also surprised to learn that Karen and the Dean were the only 'witnesses' that would be called. The prosecutor's initial presentation took over an hour, and by the time she was finished, it was close to lunchtime and Dianna was getting hungry.

"Very well, Ms Washington," said the Judicial Investigator, when she was done. "I assume you are ready to state your case."

"Yes," replied the prosecutor. "I estimate approximately three hours, and I would like to suggest we break for lunch at this time."

"Any objection Ms MacMann?" asked the Judicial Investigator.

"No."

"Very well, this investigation will recess until one o'clock. With that, Catherine Wells and the other investigators rose and left the room. Chloe and the Dean followed them out.

"Lunch, ladies?" asked Evelyn "My treat."

"Sure," said Karen as they stood and followed Evelyn out of the room and along a wide corridor that eventually led to a cafeteria. After they had gotten their food, the three women sat together at a small table along one wall of the large room. Dianna began by saying, "That's not at all what I expected."

"Me either," said Karen.

"How so?" said Evelyn.

"Well to begin with, what was all that information the prosecutor went on and on about?" said Dianna.

"Yeah and where are the other witnesses?" said Karen.

Evelyn smiled and said, "Ladies, you have watched too many old courtroom dramas. First of all, there are no other witnesses, at least none with anything meaningful to contribute."

"What?" Karen said "How about the owner of the jewelry store or the people inside."

"Or the police officers that questioned me," added Dianna.