The Possessed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All that has been recorded and viewed by the panel already," said Evelyn. "As for the store owner and other customers, any testimony they could provide would be redundant. Again, the relevant material was captured and recorded by the store's security monitor. It's far more accurate and reliable than human witnesses anyways. That's why the prosecutor 'went on and on' as you put it. She was supplying the necessary legal and background information to validate the recorded evidence."

"Oh," said Dianna.

"Then why am I here?" asked Karen.

"Because you have something meaningful to contribute," answered Evelyn. The young women looked confused, so Evelyn continued. "Look, as in most cases the facts are clear and not in dispute. Dianna took the gemstone and the ring. It would be foolish to call witnesses to corroborate this, since no one believes otherwise, especially given the recorded evidence. Taking the ring and gemstones is a crime. The only remaining question is how bad of a crime is it? Based on the value of the items taken, it's quite serious. But there are mitigating circumstances, that can't be ascertained from the recordings."

"And that's where I come in," said Karen.

"Correct," said Evelyn. "And for that matter the Dean too. Remember it's the intention of the perpetrator that determines whether a crime was committed. In this case for example, why did Dianna take the gemstone and ring, and what was she going to do with them? The answers to these questions are not contained in the recordings, but they determine the severity of the crime and for that matter if a crime was committed at all."

"I see," said Dianna. "So the trial is really all about why I took the ring and the gemstone."

"Yes," said Evelyn. "When we go back, the prosecutor will present the facts of the case in order to present a clear sequence of events to the panel. After she's done, she will question you, Karen, and the Dean in order to establish your motives. Obviously, she'll try and show you took the ring and gemstone for personal gain. It's my job to cast enough doubt so that the offense appears minor."

"Real minor, I hope," said Dianna.

"Me too," said Evelyn to herself, "me too."

When they returned to the courtroom an hour later, the investigation proceeded just as Evelyn had said it would. The prosecutor outlined the events as they had occurred. When she had finished, Chloe concluded by saying, "Ms Weiss clearly stole a very rare and valuable item from the jewelry store, and another of lesser value monetarily, but of great sentimental value to its owner. I therefore request that she be found guilty and given the maximum sentence."

"Ms MacMann, counter argument?" said the Judicial Investigator.

"I think Ms Washington overstates the severity of Ms Weiss's actions. She acknowledges that she took the items in question but denies knowing their value, either monetarily or otherwise. In addition, she promptly surrendered the items when confronted, without denying she took them. Ms Weiss also offered a reasonable and consistent explanation for the thefts. It was her intention to use these items in a practical joke on the Dean of her school, and then have them returned to their rightful owners."

"Can you provide any evidence for this?" asked one of the panel members.

"Yes I can," said Evelyn. She then told Karen to tell the panel about the past pranks that Dianna had pulled and what Dianna had told her concerning the prank she had intended for the Dean. Karen repeated to the panel what she had told Evelyn about Dianna's past and about the prank involving the gemstone.

"And you discouraged her," asked Chloe.

"Yes," said Karen.

"Did you know anything about the gemstone she intended to take?"

"No," said Karen.

"Then you really don't know all the details of her 'prank', as you call it?"

"No, not really, but..."

"And in fact, you didn't even know that she had taken the gemstone, until after she was arrested?" interrupted the prosecutor.

"Yes, but..."

"So if she had kept the ring and the gem, you would not have known?" asked Chloe, cutting Karen off again.

"Yes, I mean no," said Karen.

"Well which is it?" said Chloe.

"I mean, I can't believe she wouldn't have told me," said Karen, becoming upset. It was almost as if, the damn prosecutor was trying to put words in her mouth.

"But, she in fact didn't, isn't that correct?" said the prosecutor.

"Yes, but..."

"That's all," said Chloe, cutting her off again.

Karen fell silent and Evelyn put her hand on her arm, patting it. Karen felt frustrated, as if she had done more harm than good to her friend.

"As for the gemstone itself," continued Chloe, "you claim you did not know its value, Ms Weiss?"

"Yes," answered Dianna.

"You didn't see the label in the display case?" asked the prosecutor.

"I saw it, but I didn't bother to read it," said Dianna.

"Oh, really?" said the prosecutor in a skeptical tone of voice. "You just happened to take the most valuable gemstone, by far, in the store, by accident?"

"Yes," said Dianna.

"Where were you going when you were stopped by the police?" said Chloe.

"To my literature class," said Dianna.

"Really?" said the prosecutor. "How come you were walking east towards the shuttle lot, instead of North towards your class then?"

"I was going to get some coffee in the student union," said Dianna, becoming alarmed.

"What time was it when you were stopped?" asked the prosecutor.

"I'm not sure exactly," said Dianna. "Near ten, I guess".

"It was in fact, two minutes before ten," said Chloe. "What time does your literature class start?"

"Ten," said Dianna.

"Then you would have been late, had you bought the coffee?"

"I guess," said Dianna.

"Now lets see," said the prosecutor, examining her notes. "The attendance records show you late to class only once in the past year. Is that correct?"

"I suppose so, but..." began Dianna.

"The shuttle however leaves at ten past ten, does it not?" interrupted Chloe.

"I guess so, but..."

"We're you not in fact, headed to the shuttle, Ms Weiss?" interrupted the prosecutor, again.

"No! I was not," said Dianna angrily. "If I had wanted to leave, why didn't I leave the night before?"

Evelyn gave Dianna a sharp look, but before she could say anything, the prosecutor said "Good question. Where were you the previous evening?"

"I went to the village and then back to my room in the dorm," said Dianna.

"What were you doing in the village?"

"I had the gemstone mounted on the ring," said Dianna.

"What time was it when you returned to your room?"

"I don't know exactly, about ten."

"Well, let's see," said Chloe referring to her notes again. "You left the store about 9:30, right?"

"Yes, I guess," said Dianna.

"What time does the last shuttle leave the village?"

"I'm not sure. I don't usually take the shuttle," said Dianna.

"Well, the last shuttle out of town leaves the village at 9:15 and the last shuttle from the campus at 9:50. I submit the reason you didn't leave sooner, was because you couldn't".

"That's crazy!" said Dianna angrily, but she stopped when she felt Evelyn grab her arm.

Evelyn said, "Of course, if she had wanted to leave, Ms Weiss could have left after taking the gemstone and the ring. There was no reason for her to wait till that evening; she could have had the stone mounted anywhere."

"Good point," thought Dianna. Suddenly she was happy that she had chosen Evelyn to represent her.

"Possibly," said Chloe. "However, after mounting the gemstone on the ring, she had only a single piece of jewelry to deal with, making the single item less suspicious than the individual pieces."

"But this is mere speculation," pointed out Evelyn. "The facts are that Ms Weiss did not leave, and the mounting of the gemstone was consistent with playing the prank that she had planned."

Chloe turn to the Dean and said, "Can you tell us about the ring?"

"Yes, it was the wedding band of my late partner, Clara Kline. She died some years ago in an accident. I kept the ring as a memento of her."

"So you were upset when you found that Ms Weiss had taken the ring?"

"Yes. It was an important keepsake," said the Dean.

"Are you aware of any other 'pranks' that Ms Weiss has initiated or been involved in since coming to the college?" asked the prosecutor.

"Yes, a few have been brought to my attention," answered the Dean.

"Is it not true that all of them involved the staff and other members of the academic administration?" said Chloe.

"Yes, I believe so."

"I don't see where this is going," said Evelyn. "Ms Weiss has already admitted to playing numerous pranks, both at college and in high school, not to mention when she was a child. This is simply not adding to these proceedings."

"I have to agree with Ms MacMann," said the Judicial Investigator. "Is there some additional point here, Ms Washington?"

"Yes. If you examine the record, there is a clear pattern of escalating hostility towards the staff and those in authority, by Ms Weiss. I would submit that, if Ms Weiss did not intend to keep or sell the jewelry, her intention was to frame, the Dean of her college. The note recovered with the ring and gemstone was intended to falsely persuade the recipient into keeping stolen merchandise, a serious crime considering the value of the item. If the college's Dean had been caught with the ring, it was entirely possible that she would have been arrested and charged, and that the college's reputation would have suffered significantly from the resulting scandal."

"Ms MacMann?" said the Judicial Investigator.

"I think the prosecutor is overstating the case again," began Evelyn. "This is all speculation on her part. The facts are that Ms Weiss had a history of such behavior, but it never resulted in anyone being accused of a crime. It seems doubtful that the Dean of a college would have kept such a 'gift', at least not without some investigation. After all she is a highly intelligent woman, and is well aware of the kinds of activities young women engage in while going through school."

At this point the investigation ended. Evelyn and Chloe presented some remaining technical and legal information to the panel after which the Judicial Investigator said, "This investigation is concluded. All parties are instructed to appear the day after tomorrow to hear the conclusion of this panel." With that, the investigators stood and left the room.

"That's it?" said Dianna.

"For now," said Evelyn.

"What happens next?" said Karen.

"Well, the panel will meet tomorrow and decide whether or not a crime, in fact, took place, and if so, its severity" said Evelyn.

"When do we find out?" asked Dianna.

"The day after, as the Judicial Investigator said," answered Evelyn.

"So what do we do now?" said Karen.

"Go home and wait. I'll call you if I hear anything, but that's doubtful. Come back to court, day after tomorrow," said Evelyn.

"But..." began Dianna.

"Look I know you're anxious. I would be too," said Evelyn. "But there is simply nothing you or anyone else can do. It's hard, but you simply have to wait."

********************************************************

Dianna and Karen both spent the next day pacing their small room at the dorm. They had talked about the case upon returning home, staying up well past midnight commenting on what had happened. Ironically, Dianna had thought the case had been presented in an even and fair manner. Karen was not so sanguine. She thought that the prosecutor was an 'evil bitch' out to get Dianna. Upon awakening the next morning the girls continued their discussion, but by noon they were both talked out. The one thing they both wanted to know could not be had from talking.

When evening came, they decided to go to the village for dinner, if for no other reason than to get out of the small anxious room where they had spent the day. At dinner, Karen noticed that Dianna's mood had become fatalistic and, she thought, somewhat grim. "If I am found guilty," she began, "I want you to know, that I appreciate everything you've done and that I don't blame you for anything."

"Thanks," said Karen, '"but you're not going to be found guilty."

"I wish I were as confident as you," said Dianna. The two friends fell silent for awhile, but then Dianna said, "What do you think they'll do with me?"

"Nothing," said Karen, "you're not going to be found guilty."

"Promise me one thing," said Dianna, "if I am found guilty, you'll come to my humiliation."

"Look," said Karen emphatically, "you're not going to be found guilty. I simply won't believe it"

"Ok, I know," said Dianna, "but just in case, promise me."

Karen found this an odd request. If anything, she thought Dianna would not want anyone she knew at such a terrible event. She was about to ask about this, but something in Dianna's face stopped her. Finally, she said, "I promise, but it's not going to happen."

The young women finished their meal in silence. That night, neither slept well and both rose early the next morning. Karen called Evelyn who told them that the panel had reached a decision, and that she would meet them in court at ten. Dianna took her time getting ready, as a way of killing time. Karen had dressed and gone for coffee earlier, so she had the room to herself.

After showering and shaving her legs, she laid out her best clothes: silk panties and bra, fine pantyhose, light blue blouse, and charcoal wool skirt and jacket. As she put on her panties, bra, and hose, Dianna thought about how good they felt against her soft skin and the fact that this might be the last time she would get to wear the fine undergarments. Putting on her makeup she had the same thoughts. As she finished, Karen returned and said, "You look great!"

"I wish I felt that way," said Dianna.

"You will," said Karen. "In fact let's celebrate later, when it's over."

"OK," said Dianna, but from her tone, Karen could tell she was worried.

********************************************************

Evelyn met them outside the court room about a quarter till. "Sorry, I had a lot of messages to answer this morning," she apologized. "Been here long?"

"About twenty minutes," said Dianna.

Evelyn looked at her sympathetically. Taking her arm she said, "I know it's been rough, but it will be over soon." The three women walked into the room again and took their seats at the table. Chloe and the Dean came in a few minutes later and sat down at the opposite end of the table.

At ten o'clock the six investigators, dressed in black robes, entered and took their seats to the left of Dianna. Finally the bailiff announced, "Catherine Wells, lead Judicial Investigator".

Catherine took her seat and said "Judicial Investigation of the State versus Dianna Weiss is now in session. Are all parties present?"

"Yes'" answered Chloe.

"Yes," said Evelyn.

"Very well," began Catherine. "Yesterday this panel met and after deliberation reached the following conclusions: First, Dianna Weiss did in fact steal the ring and gemstone, as presented by the prosecutor before this panel."

Neither Dianna nor Karen was surprised at this. They fully expected that Dianna would be found guilty of stealing, since Evelyn had warned them of this before the investigation had begun. The important point would be if the panel thought the crime malicious. Knowing that this would be revealed next, Dianna tensed and Evelyn took her hand.

"With regards to the intent of the crime," continued Catherine, "this panel finds its intent malicious. These findings are based on the past history of Ms Weiss and her apparent dislike for those placed in authority over her. It is the consensus of this panel that if Ms Weiss had not been apprehended, her actions could have plausibly and at the very least, resulted in a scandal at her college and the possible arrest of its dean."

Dianna sat in stunned silence at hearing the investigative panel's conclusion. Evelyn placed her arms around her client, but Dianna barely felt them. Karen's jaws dropped at the news, and she sat motionless with her mouth open.

"With regards to sentence," said Catherine, "the value of the items taken merits the most severe of punishments. This panel therefore sentences you to be publicly humiliated, followed by diapered servitude for the remainder of your natural life; sentence to be carried out immediately."

Dianna turned towards Evelyn crying in disbelief and the counselor wrapped her arms around the young woman. Karen covered her open mouth with her hands and tears of shock flowed down her cheeks. "No, no, this can't be happening," cried Dianna.

"Bailiff will take the defendant into custody," said the Judicial Investigator. Two bailiffs approach Dianna and when Evelyn released her, placed handcuffs on her wrists. "This investigation is now closed," said Catherine rising. As the investigators left the room, the bailiffs took Dianna by the arms and began to lead her away.

Turning, Dianna looked back at Karen and said, "Remember your promise." Karen did not have time to reply before Dianna was ushered through a pair of double doors along the far wall. After Dianna had gone, a woman in a white jumpsuit approached Evelyn and Karen.

"Hello, my name is Diane I'll be your escort".

"Escort?" said Karen, confused.

"Yes, Ms MacMann, Ms Washington, and their parties have the right to witness the first part of the punishment, the preparation for public humiliation. I am your appointed escort," said Diane.

Evelyn turned to Karen and said, "Unfortunately, it is my duty to witness this part of the punishment. However, you don't have to come."

Karen thought for awhile. She was still upset by what had happened, and she had no desire to see Dianna's punishment. However, she had promised her friend that she would attend her humiliation. Hoping that she could afford her friend some support through her ordeal, she said, "No, I'll come. I think Dianna would want me to."

"OK," said Evelyn, "but be warned this is not going to be pleasant."

The prosecutor declined the invitation to attend, but the Dean accepted. Diane led the three women through the door Catherine Wells had used and into a long corridor. As they left, a small woman, unnoticed by the others in the room and dressed entirely in black, got up from one of the spectator benches, took out her communicator, and speaking softly into the device said, "Yes. She's on her way."

Chapter 3: Don't Cry For Me

Diane opened the door to a small, darkly lit room, with a solid glass wall that revealed what looked like an old style operating room on the other side. The room was brightly lit and a woman dressed in white busied herself arranging instruments around a padded exam table.

"What's this torture chamber?" asked Karen sarcastically.

"This is the room where the convicted are prepared for humiliation and servitude," answered Diane, matter-of-factly.

"What?" Karen said.

"The convicted are physically made ready for humiliation in the public square and for their new life in servitude," said the escort.

"Prepared?" said Karen.

"All slaves are given facial and body tattoos for identification purposes and unneeded body hair is removed. In addition, diapered slaves are fed a special diet to eliminate infection. This works by first eliminating the ordinary bacteria in the digestive track, which is highly infectious, and then placing the slave on a special diet. The byproducts of the diet are sterile and the normal unpleasant odor is also eliminated."

"And how is that done?" asked Karen.

"You mean, eliminating the existing bacteria in the digestive track?" asked the escort.

"Yes," said Karen.

"By giving the convicted and enema of course; if you are patient, you'll get to see the whole procedure in a few minutes. In fact, here is the convicted now."

1...34567...33