The 'Reno' Project

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What?" exclaimed Suzee.

"Omigod, I didn't intend to say that last bit out aloud."

"I've already forgotten what you said. Um, does your father work here?"

"No, but mum and dad are part owners of this business. They own and operate a chain of shoe stores, mum looking after the fashions and dad is their expert on fitness and leisure footwear."

"Well, to work. Off you go dear Suzee and return when your contract is signed after any changes arising from discussion with your lawyer check are settled to your satisfaction. Will you want a business lease car or have a generous monthly allowance for using your own vehicle?"

"The car allowance will suit me fine. My first impressions of this place are great, and it's most interesting knowing first-hand that my boss is so friendly."

They laughed, hugged and Suzee left.

After a café lunch, she crossed the road to the offices of a law firm and left 40 minutes later having signed up with a middle-aged woman as her lawyer.

Happy with the progress she was making in settling in to her new location, Suzee went to a motor vehicle agency and negotiated a deal on a near new 6-speed manual white Japanese roadster, trading in her 2-year-old SUV. She'd also road-tested the more powerful GT roadster but decided the lower-powered model suited her needs better, and the fact that she could drive-away in the roadster that day, clinched the deal for her.

She drove home, with the top down, feeling good, incredibly good, and thought her remaining need was to make a few real friends, unaware that desire was about to be answered.

Suzee drove into the first of her two parking spaces that went with her apartment and stood admiring her new possession when a lithe red-head walked up beside her and said, "Nice wheels. Omigod, I sound like a male who only likes beer, broads and driving."

They laughed and Suzee said easily, "Hi, I'm Suzee and very recently moved in here."

"Hi, I'm Sophia Bosman. I've seen you a couple of times around here and thought you looked classy."

That comment rang Suzee' s alarm bell in her head.

She said neutrally, "That tag is rather too refined for me, but thanks. Love your hair."

Oh damn, why did she add that last bit although it didn't appear to ignite the friendly near-neighbour.

"Thanks, but I wish I was brunette like you and had your clear, slightly olive skin rather than hearing the monotonous jokes about red-heads and my skin type being a breeding ground for freckles."

They laughed easily and Sophia said, "Look, I meet a small group of girlfriends from this building and some living nearby over at Natalie's Bar at 5.30 on Friday evenings and invite you to join us. We are mainly professionals and I reckon you'll fit in fine. Please say yes."

"Thanks, I'd like that."

"Great, I'm on the 5th floor and will come down to your floor at twenty past five and take you with me."

"Oh, I'm on the 7th. I'll come to your apartment."

"The 7th? God, you must be well-heeled. Oops, sorry as that was a bit personal. Look, let's meet in the foyer at 5.25."

Suzee entered her apartment feeling as if she was almost walking on air. She now had one probable new friend and more likely perhaps, only two days away.

On Thursday she went to her lawyer's office and signed her employment contract.

Suzee was in the apartment block foyer at 5.20 when Sophia arrived and they kissed on the cheek lightly and smiled.

Sophia said, "You are dressed much like we do for Friday nights - jeans, ankle boots, no bra and fancy loose top."

"I think it's rather universal for Friday evening drinks for females around thirty and to the mid-thirties who not too large in the chest and particularly for those of us who get home to change clothes before meeting the girls."

Sophia said, "There you go. I predicted on Wednesday that you'd fit in."

Two hours later, a number from the group went to an Italian restaurant for dinner, Sophia and Suzee among them.

At the end of the evening, some from the group had left, leaving Sophia, Suzee and six others.

Kitty, who appeared a natural leader, said, "Suzee, you would have gathered by now that we are mostly professionals at some level. At the table we have three lawyers, two accountants, a medical researcher and I lecture senior students in music at university. We are interested in knowing something about you. I asked Sophia and she said she didn't know but you are on the 7th floor at Portobella Apartments where the 7th and 8th floors are inhabited by wealthy widows or toffs and you drive an expensive and cute sports car."

"Well, I arrived here recently jobless and liked the look of Portobello Apartments that were still leasing as the property was only completed five months ago. I took an apartment high up for the views. I start work on Monday with Mason-Freeman who fit out new commercial premises and even larger private homes.

"Never heard of them," Liz said. "They must be small."

"They have 137 people on the payroll at present, and hire outside fit-out specialists as well. They actually fitted out Portobello Apartments I found out when being brief by the general manager who I've been hired to assist to totally upgrade the company's offices and its product manufacturing plants and warehouse that are all housed under the one enormous roof. I have a degree in philosophy which these days is far wider-reaching than sitting on one's butt and thinking deeply."

The young women laughed.

"I've never been married, gained a 4-year Bachelor of Design degree with honours and gained early experience helping to design company offices, new factories and especially in the retrofitting of offices and manufacturing units. The chairman of Mason-Freeman wasn't at all interested in hearing about that. He said he was out to someone who could generate new ideas and solve fit-out and retro-fitting problems faster than ordinary consultants could pull out paper from a toilet roll. He appears very old school but conversely, as odd as it may seem, is open to new age ideas."

Her listeners rolled around in their chairs in laughter.

"Wow," Kitty said, you certainly pack a ton of horsepower. The core of our Friday night gatherings and the occasional fun visits away has long been eight of us, all varsity graduates. But we lost Grace two months ago who immigrated to America and her replacement hasn't been found, However, as Sophia told a couple of us yesterday, she believes you'll fit our group like a glove, and that's what we have just witnessed. Ladies, should Suzee be invited to become the eighth member of the core?"

Suzee interjected, "You should wait until you get to know me?"

"Ladies, you all know how to choose the right fit of glove. I recommend Suzee becomes our replacement core member,' Kitty said.

Sophia called "Seconded."

There was no dissention.

"Thanks ladies," Suzee said. "I need friends as being a new arrival to the city and I've suddenly got you lot. This calls for a glass of French champagne all round, on me of course. Waiter!"

Later, walking over to the Portobello Apartments, Sophia whispered to Suzee to avoid Claire, Kitty and Simone who also lived at the apartments from overhearing, "All those girls tonight will befriend you as you have much in common with us."

"I owe it to you Sophia, and thanks."

"All I did was put you on show and it was you that did the rest. Wow, you practically set Kitty alight. At one stage I thought I saw lust in her eyes."

"Hey what are you two in front whisper about?" Simone called. "Out with it."

"It was just Suzee saying she was embarrassed by you lot admitting her into the inner circle without knowing much about her, like she may have had a sexual infection."

Wondering what the hell Sophia was saying that for, Suzee then heard Kitty say, half-chocking, "Have you ever been infected, Suzee?"

"I sometimes scratch down there but never have I had to seek a medical inspection."

"We all scratch there sometime or another," Claire asserted.

They all laughed and Sophia whispered to Suzee, that ought to cool Kitty if she really was developing the hots for you."

"Thanks Sophia, good thinking. Are you a lawyer?"

"Nah, I work in a team engaged in research of clinical sample data of hospitals in this region and, needless to say, the scope does include data on results of sexually transmitted infection tests. We don't deal with actual test samples, only recorded data on them."

The other young women with them got off at the second and third floors and Suzee invited Sophia to come to the 7th and have coffee.

"Fine, and thanks and no booze as I have to be a work by 8.30 in the morning."

"Omigod, what a beautiful and large corner apartment and you must get great views of the river and park through those big side windows in daylight."

"Indeed, I do. That's why I have my smaller dining table with seating set up against those windows. I'll get the firm I'll be working for to make me a six-seat table to my design for over in the dining area along with the other furniture to complete a full dining suite."

"Really, how lovely. You must be rolling in it, where you a call girl in your home city?"

Sophia's blush almost matched the colour of her hair.

"Omigod, I apologize for that stupid joke, and it was a joke."

"I realize that and you were left thinking what if that comment were true. Well, it isn't. My parents were drowned at sea earlier this year, only a short time after the death of my paternal grandmother who'd always loved me to bits. My parents and my grandmother left me assets that have made me very wealthy but I have no desire to sit on my butt. All that explains why I came to this city to make a new start."

Tears flowing, Sophia hugged Suzee and expressed her deep condolences and said she would tell no one about Suzee' s family tragedies.

Suzee kissed Sophia and was pleased to see no hint of rising passion. She was confident that they'd become great friends.

Chapter 3

Suzee arrived for her first day working for Mason-Freeman half-expecting chairman Frank Mason to rush out and shake her hand or even hug her. She found out later that Frank was on a country tour with his wife visiting gardens of note and staying at two spa resorts.

She went to Emma's office to find the general manager was on the phone discussing shoe colours with her mother.

Suzee went over to the coffee machine and made two flat whites, remembering that she'd heard Emma order a flat white the first time they'd met.

Emma ended the call minutes later and picking up the coffee said thanks.

"Welcome to Mason-Freeman where time has practically stood still. Look I have to..."

"That's fine, Emma. Has my arrival here been posted on the company's website with an explanation what my role will be?"

"Yes, that was posted on Thursday, an hour after we received confirmation that you'd signed your employment contract."

"Excellent, then may I wander about unaccompanied to introduce myself to department managers and section heads and if they've no idea who I am, I'll lead them by the ear to their laptop and tell them to open the company's web page."

"Um, lead them by the ear, figuratively."

"Indeed, figuratively. I mean, who would want being led by the ear by me?"

"Emma raised her right hand, and gazing at the attractive and professionally-looking woman across from her, and said huskily, "Me"

They laughed.

"Suzee, your office is virtually next to mine with my PA Maggie's office between us. We will share her services, at least initially. We'll I'm off for four hours. Go forth with courage."

Suzee chatted to Maggie, who immediately called her Suzee.

Then armed with a staff list and maps of each floor of the three levels of offices and cafe, plus underground car parking and layout of the entire factory, transferred to her phone by Maggie, Suzee set forth to give a good impression and to hopefully start to win respect.

The reception she received throughout the admin and design section was good. She dealt with her first hurdle in the factory wing soon as she entered it and met factory general manager Mac McCrone. He said aggressively, "Ah, the bitch who the old man has hired to slash and burn my various departments."

"Mac, I could begin by kicking you in the nuts for calling me, a stranger to you, a bitch. But I choose the alternatively and say, put away your knife, Mac."

"What on earth does that mean?"

He suddenly got it, and smiled, saying, "Ah, Mac the Knife. Christ, you have humour. I regret my slur."

"Thanks Mac. Let's bury that misfire. Now be a man and kiss me softly on a cheek and say either something more appropriated or just mutter 'Welcome to my domain, Suzee'."

The 45-year-old executive engineer ignored that and just said Suzee was off to an impressive start.

"I'll show you around."

"Okay and I will dig around by myself after that. But I'm not moving from here until you kiss me on the cheek softly and grunt, "Welcome to the team Suzee."

Mac's body stiffened and he said darkly, "I thought I was supposed to say welcome to my domain, Suzee."

"People mostly only get one chance with me, Mac, and I'm not talking about sex or asking to be taken on a picnic. What I'm proposing is you bend your back a little whenever dealing with me. Aggression is a bad fit with me."

"Are you from a family of lion tamers?"

"Great comment Mac. Now exercise flexibility. You can do it, huh?"

The burly guy remained seated for a moment, meditating. Then rose, all 6ft 6in of him and he walked cautiously at her, bent and kissed her softly on the cheek and said, "Welcome, you gutsy woman. I'm impressed."

"Thanks for welcoming me to your domain, Mac. Rest assured, there will be no slashing and burning anywhere in this factory. It will be no change, or alternatively, carefully considered changes as part of the progressive upgrading of this entire business. There will be some pruning of personnel, mainly those who won't or can't adapt to change but you will be kept involved all along the way and the ultimate objective is to have our people happy that they are working for a company geared to be more flexible and more effective in a 21st business environment."

"That's a mouthful."

"Yes, but it was presented in an attempt to convince you that I'm neither a bitch nor a witch and neither a soulless person who lacks understanding of tradition and the fundamentals of introducing change without attempting to sell it before implementation."

Mac said, "Let's see how you go."

"That Mac, I appreciate hearing that. You read my profile on the company's website."

"Yes."

"And?"

"I thought just a kid with a great face and chest who looks ready to rip into us."

"I see, and you also thought without understanding."

"Yes."

"Did you happen to look up my online thesis with the address included at the bottom of my profile."

He scratched his head and looked at little guilty.

"And?"

"Fuck, what a lion tamer. I look it up tonight."

"Good man. Should we tour now with you telling me quietly as we go the good, the bad and the ugly and include comment on what you think about personal although perhaps that personal comment could wait until you get to know each other better."

"Yeah and I was thinking that myself."

They walked off, with Suzee no longer perspiring after dealing with her anticipated toughest nut in the entire business to bring on side. She felt she had made good progress and wished she could have a shower and dress in dry clothes before they began the tour.

* * *

Suzee returned to the general manager's office at noon to find a guy stretched back in Emma's chair, relaxed and looking as if he were the regular occupant.

She almost gasped, looking at his heaps of blond hair, square chin and the shoulders of a gym regular.

However, she rasped, "Who the hell are you?"

"Oh hi. I'm Rick, Emma's brother and I'm here to take you to lunch where we will meet her. Maggie told me to wait here for you and warned you might come in ready to sweep the floor of me as an intruder."

"Is that right? What's Emma's nickname?"

"Pussy-licker."

Suzee gasped and Rick said she ought not have asked such a personal question if she were afraid what the answer might be.

"No, it's fine, though I didn't expect such a demeaning answer."

"Mum gave it to her."

"Omigod."

"What is your nickname Suzee?"

She eyed him and said sounding surprised, said, "You know my name?"

"Yes, do you think I'd take a woman to lunch without knowing her name?"

"That makes sense. I was named 'Egg-head' at an early age and it stuck. May we leave this awkward conversation and go?

"Few women manage to involve me in awkward conversations."

"Then I must apologize for making you think. Tell Maggie where we will be for lunch."

"There is no need, Miss Egg-head. Maggie made the booking for three."

They entered the café and Emma waved them over to the table.

"Omigod, you two look such a handsome couple."

She received no response. But Suzee went up and kissed her on the cheek.

"Omigod," Emma said. "I should have been at the office to make formal introductions."

"No, it's fine," her brother said. "She's been almost too much for me. She found me in your chair and challenged me as if I were an intruder in your domain."

"It's cool, Emma. I assume big brother is not used to a female being a little confrontational at their first meeting. It was a little like we were both tilting at windmills."

Emma gaped and asked was Suzee taking some of the blame for her first meeting with Rick as being a bit confrontational."

"Yep, but I suggest that we move on. Although Rick and I sparred a little, I'd call it a draw."

"Ladies, what would you like to drink?" Rick asked expansively.

Suzee left the restaurant and waved down a passing taxi, kissing Emma and Rick and said she'd really enjoyed herself and Rick flagged down a taxi that pulled in behind Suzee' s.

"May I date you?" he called.

"Yes," Suzee said, entering her taxi.

As their taxi drove off, Rick said to Emma, "That woman has balls, or should I say has drive, and I believe she knows exactly where she is and she might roll you to take over your position."

"You are wrong," his sister said. "She has been recruited to make it her mission to assist me to progressively restructure our entire company, bringing it into the 21st century and I'll be happy to allow her to shoulder the burden because I believe she can already see what needs to be done, and this is only Day One for her. She wants to be successful with the mission to build to her reputation, not to take over my job as chief administrator. She's out of my league."

"She's had some hands-on experience at restructuring including her dolls' house restructuring when she was twelve. She was recruited personally by Frank Mason, who's as canny as they come. She has a Master's degree in Philosophy and a Bachelor's degree in Design and her thesis for her 4-year design degree was on kitchen design trends over the past 50 years."

"Rick, you've already experienced, I bet, just how focused she can be. Put all of that together in the over-all mix and perhaps you can see what we have ready to unleash."

"Yeah, yeah, but having good qualifications and undeniable drive are two things, but what about getting admin and factory personal to accept what you and she intend imposing on them to change."

"Oh, the final ultimatum will be, prepare to change or look for new employment elsewhere."

"Oh yeah, but what about your tough-arse opponents now, like the general manager of the factory operations?"

"Hmm, that question was in my mind too. But guess what, the factory general manager called me when I was at a meeting with our financiers this morning and said, sounding as if he was still shell-shocked, to say my little cutie, meaning Suzee, called on him and sketched what was intended by modernizing the factory and administration and he could barely believe it but she had him practically eating out of her hand. Mac is twice her size."