The 'Reno' Project

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No problem."

"Great, and that wall over there I want a coffee bar and hot food prep area and small dining table to seat four. In that corner next to it I want a toilet and hand basin installed to meet all appropriate regulations."

Terry said food and bathrooms need to be well separated and Suzee said but she wanted them against that wall for convenience as the main purpose of the room was planning, creative-designing and displaying a multitude of plans and drawings.

"Christ, a virtual bloody war room."

Suzee obscenely gave Terry the fingers and all the guys laughed and looked at her impressed. She suddenly had three guys totally won over.

"Thanks guys," she said airily. "I guess that also signals that no shoddy work or fittings will be accepted around here. The furniture manufacturing department already has my urgent order, counter-signed by the CEO, for a large table to go into the centre of the room to hold four computers and allow us to prepare plans."

Graham was told the dimensions of the table were indicated by short pieces of white ribbon pinned to the carpet.

"Oh, I thought the night cleaners had been sloppy and missed four bits of rubbish," he cackled.

The three guys laughed loudly, watched by Suzee who had her right arm across her front and taping her fingers as if signalling a possible imminent reprimand might be on the count-down.

Graham said hastily that those four markers were very handy.

"You're the expert Graham and placement and quality of the lighting will be the key. Executives and senior managers will be coming here to look at Emma's and my work scouring the wall display of their departments ready to scream in triumph at even the tinniest fault they find and perhaps one or two might even need to sit in shock at the tremendous improvement they see that is in store for them and their people."

"Oh, and out and out critics will receive a kick in the butt from me and told to fuck off and never to return from this room."

"If any one attempts to take the piss out of you two, call me and I'll come running," the burly plumber said, cracking his knuckles.

"With me as backup," the electrician promised and Terry nodded his approval.

"Thanks guys, you are so sweet," Suzee cooed. "Well that's it, unless where are any questions.

The guys stood, looking at her boobs.

She pushed them forward a little and the guys trooped off. She heard Bruce say out in the passage, "That hot sweet darling will become a legend in this place."

Smiling, she called Mac and said, "Hi, it's Suzee."

"Hi Little Darling," said the factory's over-all boss who stood 6ft 6in. She almost dropped her phone in shock and managed to say he was so sweet saying that because she was aware that some fury from personnel would be unleased from some quarters in the non-too -distant future.

"I'm glad you are not a bunny about to be caught unaware."

"What, oh yes. Good. I need to bring you up to date..."

"Suzee, thanks for demonstrating that you really do intend to liaise closely with me. I appreciate that. Emma came down here an hour ago and told me we you two are at and to make sure my initial report on the impact to the factory is ready to bring to you two on Thursday by mid-afternoon so we can discuss any suggested amendments or additions."

"Oh great."

"Do you realize the significance of that visit?"

"No."

"It's only the second time she's been in my office. The first was not long after I arrived to take up the management over-all of the factory."

"Christ, is the speed at which we are going terrifying her that much?"

Mac laughed and said no, she was cool.

"She wanted to give a pep talk about we three need to stick together like concrete to push this what she peculiarly now calls the Reno Project through. Yes, that really is..."

"I told her it was already done when you came into my office and then left with me almost on my knees and begging to support the renovation proposal to the hilt."

"Mac you ended up being supportive but not way..."

"I just told her what she wanted to hear."

The alterations to Suzee' s office, now loosely called the war room, were completed just after 11 that evening apart from the toilet that wouldn't be open for use until someone from the city's health and safety department signed it off. The table had arrived just before 6.00.

Suzee tossed a dozen cans of beer on to the table and had one with Terry and his gang and then left, exhausted.

She left and was back in the war room at 6 am. Emma arrived 15 minutes later and found two sketches of recommendations of the new look for the lobby, that included the reception counter, already pinned on one of the walls.

"They're rough, an architectural draftsman and artist I recruited on Monday for Wednesday to Friday will arrive soon to tidy up my sketches and finish them off artistically and to record any structural changes to our copies of the original plans for this building. They will bring those with them as they work for the original architects after I confirmed we were merely doing a face-lift or two."

"They agreed to that without required my permission?"

"Yep, I gave them my title of interior designer and project manager and claimed I had carte blanche authority to hire anyone needed to present plans and specifications to you to take to the board meeting on Friday. We pay the architectural firm double the rate these two people would earn for three days but it will be worth it, because we end up with professionals that I intend to work hard."

Emma said, "You are incorrigible and could possibly talk your way out of a coffin, darling."

"Thanks for your support but you know you are backing a winning team."

"Maybe."

"Eh, what was that?"

"Nothing. How the hell did Terry and his boys get all this done so quickly and it looks really great."

"Darling, you know men. Place a hand under your boobs when talking to them and jiggle that flesh a little and guys become willing to do anything for you."

"You really should be in politics, Suzee, and in your earlier life you probably were Cleopatra's hand maiden."

Suzee had instructed Maggie, the shared PA, to advise all of her callers she would not be one to available for the remainder of that week, the exceptions being Emma, Emma's brother Rick, Frank the chairman, and Mac the charge engineer of that factory. She then gave her phone to Maggie and asked her to bring it in with calls from any of those exceptions.

"God, you really are intending to keep your head down."

"Yep, we present on Friday."

"What full plans and specifications?"

"Nah, Maggie. That work will take a month to six weeks to complete. I believe board members simply want a resume of intentions, and illustrations of over-all concepts and text confined to mainly bullet points and overall estimated costs and the time frame."

"Yes, that's probably correct. If there's any stumbling, it will be over costs, time frame and the anticipated extent of disruptions to contractual output."

"God, you're not just a pretty face."

Maggie coloured and said, "Gosh, I wish my husband could hear that from a top-tier and detectable female executive like you. He'd probable have a fresh take on me. Oh, I have combined law and commerce qualifications which is why Emma hired me as she merely has a B.Com degree. But she's hugely street smart. May I come in and make fresh coffee for you?"

"Thanks, that's a sweet offer but please make that every two hours, beginning in say thirty minutes."

"Will do."

The draftsman and female artist arrived at 8.30 and after a short briefing, went to work with gusto. Peter was putting on his ear-plugs connected to his mobile phone when Suzee noticed that and said, "We should have music in here. What's your preference, Peter?"

"Latest mainstream stuff."

"Lisa?"

"Swing and Opera."

"Do you have a liking for cool jazz?"

The both nodded and Suzee connected her mobile phone collection to the wireless speaker she had on the bench of the food area and the sound of jazz floated around them at low level.

"Cool," said Peter, placing his phone and ear-plugs into his back-pack.

Chapter 6

The shared PA entered the war room with Suzee' s phone.

Maggie said, "It's a hot-sounding guy, Emma's brother."

Looking around at the collection of displayed work, Maggie said, "I can't believe you guys have managed to produce so much original work in almost 1½ days."

"We are driven, Maggie," Suzee said and said into the phone, "Hi, lovely man."

He said indignantly, "But you are the one who hasn't made the effort to contract me."

"Sorry, and I guess are get a little busy at times."

"Um, well yes. Emma told me you two are up to your eyeballs and you set yourselves a too ambitious goal."

"Yes, but it's too late to step back now. Somehow, we are on schedule to complete at 8.00 in the morning, by returning here at 5.00 am."

"Christ, then you are unable to meet this big-time guy today."

"No, sorry."

"I was thinking of dinner with you tonight and a big of, um, romancing."

"No way, sorry."

"This guy heads our city's biggest advertising agency by far. It's part of an international group. I was at a business club breakfast this morning and heard him say that finding truly impulsive and overly-possessed ideas people with the ability to peer into the future with some clarity are today scarcer to find than tits on a bull."

"Tits on a bull, do that have them?"

"No, at least not developed, and that was the point of his comment. I know Quinn Chambers and cornered him afterwards and told him about you."

"Me, why me? I don't possess any advertising credentials."

"I told him what Emma thinks about you and how you have been hired to take what the Mason-Freeman company into the 21st century as a catch-up and, um, truly I almost saw Quinn's ears prick up and grow an inch."

"Bullshit."

"Okay, then he was mightily impressed and said he wanted to talk to you today or perhaps tomorrow over lunch."

"Not a chance, sorry you handsome bugger."

The term 'handsome bugger' drew no comment from Rick. He ploughed on, saying he'd not expected to have such an important encounter, perhaps a career-changing offer for Suzee, turned down.

"Then when?"

"Saturday night with you, him and his wife or mistress at a quality restaurant."

"Quinn and wife err Claris will have other plans."

"Bye Rick, it's up to you to change that or it's dinner with just you and he can lose his change to recruit me as I just may be in need of new employment by Saturday."

"What does that mean, are you..."

"Bye darling. See you Saturday."

Suzee handed the phone back to Maggie who said, "I managed to follow most of that conversation. Are you preparing to leave us?"

"It depends what the board does with our recommendations tomorrow. That's all I'm saying and please keep that to yourself."

"You called Rick darling."

"Yes, and that might be the first time. I was signalling I like him a lot, a real lot, actually."

"You were motivating him to do his best to get that advertising agency guru to meet you on Saturday night."

"You are sharp, Maggie but until the board makes it's decision, I don't know what I want. I think advertising bosses who climbed through the ranks as this Quinn probably did are likely to think roughly at the same level as I do. That being so, he's likely to be more interested in me after I turned down the initial opportunity to meet with him."

"God, you are manipulative."

"Possibly, that's what Emma thinks too."

"Gosh, talk about me being sharp. What about you? Emma mentioned that you were sharp and so manipulative that it's barely detectable. She also said she and a few others in the know were astonished that you managed to win over Mac McCrone when it was just your first chat with him."

"So?"

"Suzee, you don't understand. Attempting to woo Mac about anything around he is considered to be as difficult as locating an undiscovered entombed Pharaoh in the Egyptian pyramids."

"Really, well I merely met Mac to tentatively indicate I would need his co-operative assistance in bringing his domain up to date and I would welcome his suggestions for consideration. Even a child could have said something like that."

"There you go again Suzee, manipulating my thinking with that comment that even a child could have said something like that to Mac. I say bullshit."

"You think clearly, Maggie."

Maggie sighed, wondering exactly what that comment meant and expressed her frustration: "Grrrr."

Suzee adroitly captured her in that confused frame of mind.

Looking down at the far end of the table where Emma was engrossed in working on a computer at composing bullet points, Suzee asked offhand, "What does Emma think our changes of getting out proposals accepted by the board in full, or substantially so."

"No better than 50-50."

Maggie slammed a hand over her mouth and then releasing it, whispered, "Omigod."

Suzee told her to remain calm, that she'd never reveal to anyone what Maggie had just told her in absolute confidence.

Suzee returned to her work and Maggie was back a few minutes later with coffee in a cup with saucer.

"Thanks, Maggie. You know, if the board really slashed back on our recommendations, and I leave, you should suggest to Emma why not appoint you to manage the execution of what content the board wants executed on the surviving Reno Project recommendations."

"Oh no, that would be out of my league."

"Bullshit, Maggie. You need to unleash your potential."

Maggie walked away as if in a daze.

* * *

On Friday morning, Suzee remained calm but Emma clearly was agitated when Frank, the company's chairman, without even finishing the preamble of the presentation, after admiring the wall-hanging presentation, signified that an axe was likely to fall over the Reno Project.

"You two women have gone overboard," he shouted.

There was no response.

"An estimated $3.5 million spending just to pretty up the admin building internally and to -jiggle the factory departments around a bit and to streamline operations in the process."

"Emma said, "Frank, take a break to calm yourself and come back with an open mind."

"Nah, Emma. It's a waste of time," Suzee said, watching Frank tugging at his beard as if her were preparing to pull out hair by the roots.

"Clearly, his mind is already made up; you'll have to go through the charade of delivering our concepts and recommendations to the board within two hours from now, lacking his support."

"How dare you alleged that my mind is made up," Frank thundered. "Take that back, right now."

"Only if you swear that you mind isn't made up, substantially if not fully."

"I have a conservative board and our first thought will be where are we to get $3.5 million from?"

"Remember that you are a businessman Frank, heading a reasonably large company in terms of its type of business. The estimate of $3.5 million is only for the Reno Project work. Added to that will be the costs of disruption, the temporary relocating some departments, out-sourcing some of the work temporarily and the unavoidable decline in factory output during the two years schedule of workplace improvements."

"The company will have to take out loans, which is normal procedure, and if Mac McCrone is given free rein on top of his planning recommendations to improve the factory over-all, he'll deliver the efficiencies needed to improve productivity and less costly delivery of output, an improvement in net income will provide cash surpluses to pay off the loans within the their terms."

Frank fumed, "That's all blasted theory."

"I agree Frank and point out that business fundamentals per se run on business theory."

"Well Miss Smart Ass, Emma will attend the board meeting but not you."

"That's your decision, Frank. Emma had led this project and has led strongly but I'm responsible fully that we developed as a team. I suggest, because you appointed me for this role, that you are chickening out of this to possibly save youe own head if the board proves to be as conservatively displeased with the recommendations as you are because of conservative mindsets."

"I'm extremely disappointed in you Frank. Unless you make at least some attempt to lead the company fully into the 21st Century, it will gradually disintegrate around you and your board. If the feeling among board members is to reject the scheme, fight that negative response as chairman and lead by suggesting some of the enhancements could be scaled back a little and implementation of the plan before you could be implemented over a much longer period, say 10 years and that will allow it to be financed out of company capital and initially all of that be directed at revitalisation of the factory based on increasing efficiencies and productivity. Let Mac be the main adviser on that option."

Frank said, "Then why didn't you recommend that approach in the first place?"

"Because to revitalize in entirety quickly, taking no more than two years, would pull the company into improved profitability far more quickly and at the end of the day have the company appealing more to it's potential customers through faster deliveries and a more modern range of products, elevating it to higher ranking in the markets it competes in."

"That's more theory, Suzee."

"True, Frank. Tell me, do you believe the theories will produce the outcomes I'll just stated?"

"I rather not say at this point."

"And do you accept that you'll not have to fire me if the board fails to adopt substantially our concepts and recommendations because that means you'll have my resignation in writing before the end of today."

"Yes."

"Thank you, and please work to save Emma if there are any attempts to roll her or censure her."

"Yes, indeed."

"Good, and if the board says it will progressively implement the recommendations, with adjustments in some cases, I suggest that you and Emma look at appointing Maggie to co-manage a rejigged Reno Project with Mac as the other co-manager."

"Maggie, why Maggie?"

"Because she understands the culture or this company, is well-liked around here and is an excellent administrator, but above all in chatting to her periodically I have found her to be an exceptionally clear thinker. You ask her about any of the commendations you now have before you and I'll bet she'll answer you impressively, not because she typed them up but because she took a close interest in the rushed project."

"Well, I'm surprised at that. Ah, Emma?"

"We should consider her if the need arises, Frank. She would still be available for me to consult with if legal and employment issues arise. Yes, we should consider her place in all this, as I said, if the need arises. I presume your decision to forbid Suzee to attend the meeting is partly based on making her the scapegoat if the board rejects the Reno recommendations as placed before members."

Frank said, "I think the board will look for a scapegoat as the tide turns against current recommendations."

Suzee said, "Yes Frank, if conservatism begins to reign and the mood turns nasty, concentrate on protecting your and Emma's scalps."

"You are a courageous young woman."

"Thanks Frank. I'm off shopping as I need a new outfit. Emma, call me about the decisions made affecting me and when you want my resignation. If it's required today, no problem. I'll email it as I have my scanned signature on my phone."

* * *

Emma called when Suzee was at a café having late lunch. Her voice sounded weary.

"Was the project axed?"

"Not totally. Renovations to the offices and café will be placed on hold but the reception area and the board room are to be proceeded with as soon as possible and renovations to the factory are to proceed over five years of more. Frank and I have discussed retaining you for a short period. As a result, I'd like your resignation today, to come into effect 30 days from today. In that remaining time with us, on a salary unchanged, we'd like you to help Maggie to settle into her new co-manager's role and to work on the planning and recommendations so that they conform to the board's decisions."