The Reunion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She held the picture up to his face and observed, "You have aged well, Mr. Richards."

Chuckling, he said in return, "Please call me Michael," and reaching across to her, asked, "Do you mind?'

"By all means," she said straightening her back and leaning forward. Michael notices the action put her abundant cleavage on full display. He had to briefly reach within the shoulder of her dress and the back of his hand brushed her skin, she playfully squealed, "Oooh!"

Michael reddened, then looked at the picture and said to her, "I had completely forgotten about what had happened before in high school," paused and handing her the nametag said with a warm smile, "I'm glad we got the opportunity to meet, again."

Michael noticed that the ambient lighting of their little corner of the eatery was causing Sharon's eyes to almost glow. 'It would be very easy,' he thought, 'To become completely hypnotized by them'.

While they waited for their meals to arrive, they chatted about their favorite pastimes. Michaels were running, and the outdoors. Sharon shared that living in a country club allowed her to golf a couple of times a week and play tennis. "Do you golf," she asked as she took a sip of water.

"I used to, but it's been about ten-years, he admitted and added, "I'm probably not even in your league" causing her to smile at his self-deprecating humor.

After a few minutes their server brought a bottle of wine. Michael tested it and approved. The server poured her a glass of the deep red wine and taking a sip, Sharon found that it was an excellent vintage.

"Tell me more about Rebecca," she asked.

He gave her a sad smile, as if she had struck a tender spot in his spirit. "She was quite a lady," he began. He then went on to share her love for the outdoors. He described the rough spot in their relationship when she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Because of the chemo and radiation treatment, she was unable to have children.

He went on to say that after her recovery, she filled this void by working with kids through several non-profit agencies. He shared that although they traveled and had lots of fun, they had also saved their money and wisely invested it. "I surprised 'Becca on our anniversary by giving her the deed to some land I had purchased in Idaho, as a getaway place for us. It was a couple hundred acres. Like our own little ranch"

He went onto say, "I also let her know that I was retiring from the Navy, so I could spend more time with her. She had loved the idea."

"Why would you retire," asked Sharon.

Michael replied, "I had had made Captain and I was the CO of my own command. It was a great ship, but the deployments were wearing on her patience. I could tell." He went on to say, "I knew it would have killed her if I had become an Admiral, which would have forced her to really keep her mouth shut and her strong opinions to herself."

"Like what," inquired Sharon.

"Women on combat ships and flying jets, for one thing. She had some very politically-incorrect remarks about that," was his reply as he took a sip of his wine.

Michael went onto say, "By that time I was doing really well financially. Several investment houses had made me some offers, and I jumped on one. I became a fund manager and financial advisor. I eventually worked my way up to a Vice President's seat when...," he trailed off and dropped his head briefly. Just then their orders arrived, and they ate in silence for several minutes.

After they finished their meals, Michael refreshed their wine, and he took a long sip. Sharon could see he was deeply saddened about something. She slid her hand across the table and placed it on his and gave it a gentle squeeze. Michael raised his eyes to hers and she could see they were tear-filled.

He cleared his throat and then continued, saying, "I had done quite well with the investment firm I was with -- Apogee Investments in Alexandria, Virginia."

Sharon sat up at that, recognizing the name. "I know that name," she said, "Many of our mutual funds are with them."

Michael blushed and said, "I know. Ed was one of my clients."

Sharon was stunned and asked, "How so?"

Michael explained, "I advised Ed on some investment options and managed your funds. He also asked me to research several non-profits for him to support."

Sharon was amazed at this news. "Did you and Ed ever meet... face-to-face," she asked.

"No," Michael replied, "All of our conversations were by email or by phone."

Sharon aghast, stated, "He never told me. Why didn't you tell me after we first met?"

Michael dropped his eyes and when he met her gaze again said, "I didn't think it would have been right. I hope you'll forgive me."

"Oh, absolutely," said Sharon, exclaiming, "You're the reason why Ed was a success in his investing. I should be thanking you!"

Michael again blushed and said, "It wasn't just me. Ed was a very smart guy in his own right," and reaching for his wine glass took another sip.

"I worked with Apogee from the time I retired from the Navy in 1999 until 2005." He took a long drink of wine and then said, "That's when we got the news 'Becca's cancer had relapsed."

"I notified my seniors I was retiring to care for her, full-time," he took his napkin and wiped tears from his eyes before continuing and said, "She was pretty pissed-off when she heard that. She thought she was pulling me away from something that I loved. I was simply leaving something I loved, for someone I loved more."

He took another sip of wine and said, "I was planning to leave anyway, because I had a surprise for her. We couldn't have kids of our own due to the cancer." Dabbing his eyes again with the napkin, he said, "She filled the need for kids by pouring herself into the lives of foster kids who needed love."

He went onto describe how he set their ranch up as a care facility and summer camp. It opened just before she passed away.

He paused briefly and then said, "She's the reason I'm here. 'Becca knew I could wall myself off from the world and I intended to do just that, but right before she died... in a quiet moment we had together, she made me promise."

They sat in silence for a while, just letting the hustle and noise of the other diners envelop them. Finally, Michael said, "I have some pictures of us," as he reached into his jacket pocket for his cell phone and asked, "Would like to see them?"

"Absolutely," said Sharon.

She slid her chair around the small table to sit next to him. When she did so, he caught the sweet fragrance of some perfume she must have put on when she went to freshen up.

Accessing the phone's photo library, he called one up and handed the phone to Sharon. It was a picture of Michael in his Navy dress white uniform. His chest was festooned with medals and ribbons, and he wore a belt with a sword on his waist. Standing next to him was Rebecca. She was a very beautiful, petite blonde with blue eyes and a wonderful tan. She was wearing a strapless, white summer dress, with white high heels.

Sharon commented, "Rebecca was very beautiful and you're very dashing."

Michael after taking a sip of wine stated, "Big change from the geek I was in high school," chuckling at his self-deprecation, he said, "That was taken at my retirement ceremony."

Flipping through the following photos were various shots of Michael and 'Becca camping, hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities. One that she commented on was of 'Becca wearing Daisy Duke short-shorts and a midriff-bearing old red and black, checked flannel shirt with the sleeves cut-off. She wore a straw hat and mirrored sunglasses, worn low on her nose as she glam' d for the camera, while she held up a large rainbow trout.

"God, she loved the outdoors," said Michael.

Flipping to the last photo, Sharon stared at it intently. "That one was taken just before she passed away," clearing his throat again, he said, "She called that the reason for living as long as she had'."

The photo depicted Mike in a flannel shirt and jeans, with a cowboy hat and dusty boots. Standing next to him was a very thin Rebecca. She was wearing a long white dress and had a white scarf wrapped around her head. She appeared sick and her skin pale but wearing a smile that could drive away rain clouds. They were standing next to a large stone and ornately carved, wooden sign that read, ''Becca's Place -- The Place Where Memories Are Made'.

Michael said, "That was taken three-months before she died, right after I sprung the surprise on her that the ranch had been turned into a place where foster kids could come and have fun during the summer.

Sharon looked up to him stunned, "I know this place," pointing at the phone's screen and inquired, "'Becca's Place belongs to you?"

"Well not me," he replied and clarified, "It belongs to the foundation I established in 'Becca's name, as her legacy."

Sharon's free hand went to her chest as she blurted, "I support 'Becca's Place!"

"I know," he said again blushing, "I didn't want to say anything that would appear... inappropriate."

He went onto describing receiving her Christmas cards every year along with their generous donations, which contained a picture of her and Ed."

Sharon interjected by saying, "I have my assistant do that to help keep Ed's memory alive. He knew how much I adored foster kids, coming out of the system, myself."

Michael drained his glass of wine and said, "When I saw you walk through the doors of the ballroom tonight, I was stunned."

Sharon handed Michael his phone back and taking the wine bottle refilled his glass. Setting the bottle down she propped her chin on her hand and looked at him said, "What a small world we live in. Who would've known?"

Sharon took a sip from her glass and licked the rim with her tongue and said, "Before I share my life and photos, I want to hear about the ranch and 'Becca's Place."

Michael brightened, and Sharon felt he loved talking about his wife's legacy. He went onto describe how foster kids from around the county could come for two-weeks of outdoor adventures. Many of whom had never been outside of a big city before. During their stay they got to have all types of summer camp fun. Additionally, a counseling staff was on-hand to help with any emotional and developmental needs that might arise. He added that he wanted to instill a sense of worth into these kids, to prevent them from becoming obliviots. So 'Becca's Place was also a fully functioning ranch and farm. The kids were expected to help with things, like taking care of the animals, especially the horses they rode. They also helped with a variety of science projects the ranch sponsored with Idaho State University, so the kids also got a chance to receive some practical educational training.

"That is amazing," she said shaking her head in wonder and commenting, "I would love to see it."

"I've had several contributors come for a four-day weekend," said Michael and concluded, "And they get to experience everything the kids do... even the panning for gold."

"I've never been camping a day in my life," Sharon said and remarked, "Ed's idea of roughing it was staying at three-star hotel, instead of a five."

Michael chuckled as he sipped his wine and said, "That's okay, we're not backpacking into the boonies. I'd love to have you come and experience it."

"When the kids are there," inquired Sharon.

"If that's what you'd like, then absolutely," replied Michael. Then holding up a finger as an idea struck him, said, "I have something else I'd like to bounce off of you."

"Sure," replied Sharon sipping her wine.

"Since you've got experience with non-profits, I was hoping you could provide a 'woman's touch' to finding a Programs Coordinator," adding, "I think you'd be perfect for it."

He went onto say that the person who was in this role was wanting to step down, as she had gotten married recently and wanted to start her own family.

Sharon asked the obvious question, "Why not you?"

"Although I'm the Director, my gifting is making things run," holding his wine glass in his hand after taking a drink, he said, "You've started several non-profits and from your Christmas cards I can tell you have a passion for coordinating them."

Michael concluded by saying, "I'm not asking you to be the Programs Coordinator. I want to hire you as a consultant to find a Programs Coordinator."

Digging in her purse and withdrawing her cell phone, she said with a warm smile, "I'll think about it."

For the next several minutes, it was her turn to share about her life after Cloverville High School. About going to California and living with her aunt and uncle, as well as the freedom she experienced there. She shared about going to college and doing modeling to help pay expenses.

"There was one time," she shared with a smile, "While I was living with my relatives, I got this phone call. This guy said he had seen some on my modeling stuff and thought I could do a great photoshoot for his magazine."

"Really," Michael commented, "What did you say," he asked.

"First of all, he backtracked and apologized for not introducing himself first," Sharon commented and setting her phone on the table, said, "He said, 'I'm Hugh Hefner and I own Playboy magazine'."

Michael was aghast. "What did you do," he asked.

Smiling Sharon said, "I told him he was a pervert and that if he called again, my uncle would sue him."

Michael was impressed with her brashness and moxy. Sharon picked up her wine glass and polished it off and picked-up her phone. At the same time, Michael refilled her wine glass.

She thanked him for the refill and explained that she had just purchased the cell phone before the trip and her daughter had loaded all the pictures for her. She handed the phone to Michael and said, "Can you find the photo library and I'll tell you about each one."

When she handed the cell phone to him, he could tell it was a top-of-the-line model, with all the bells and whistles. She leaned close to him again as he complied with her request and opened the camera's picture folder. Michael couldn't tell if it was the wine (which usually didn't affect him) or the scent of her perfume, but he was beginning to become aroused.

The first picture was the one he'd seen in the Christmas cards from her charity. It showed Ed and Sharon seated and surrounded by their children, their spouses, and a grandchild. "Ed was so proud of his family," she said and pointing to the picture said, "This was one of his favorites."

She pointed out each person in the photo. Sheri was their oldest, at 33 years of age. Except for hair length and style, she was the spitting image of her mother. Sharon pointed out, "She's the reason why I'm here, for the reunion," and quipped, "She practically kicked my ass out of the house with my suitcase and said, 'Go have fun -- that's an order'."

As Sharon took a drink from her wine glass Michael jokingly leaned toward her and observed, "Well, having seen your ass, she didn't kick it very hard."

This caused Sharon to spew red liquid from her lips as she laughed. She grabbed her napkin and began dabbing herself before the deep red liquid stained her dress. They laughed together for a bit and then Michael complimented Sharon on the likeness she shared with her daughter.

Obviously, her Irish heritage was supported by very strong genes. Sheri's copper-colored hair was wavy, and she wore it shoulder length. Her husband Kevin was tall also, with brown hair, beard and mustache that were well-trimmed. Kevin was holding a newborn. "That's Jimmy," pointed out Sharon, "he's older now, since this picture was taken soon after he was born."

Ed Junior was 30. At the time he was dating a lovely African American girl, named Bianca. Sharon said they were married now and were working on starting a family.

Michael looked at Ed in the picture, as he had never met him. He was square-shoulder and had a burly build. He was shorter than Sharon but had excellent posture and presence. He smiled, but there was a quizzical and lost look to his eyes. Obviously, this picture had been taken after the Alzheimer's had begun doing its dreadful damage to his mind and spirit.

"That's a wonderful picture," said Michael.

Flicking hair out her eyes and sniffling, she said, "Thanks."

The following pictures were various ones of her and Ed. They did everything together -- golfing, tennis, and sailing. Sharon described several photos of trips they had made to Disneyland. It was one of Ed's favorite places to go. Tearing up again, Sharon said, "He was a big kid at heart."

As Michael flipped to the next one, she exclaimed, "Oh God, why did she put that one in there," as she tried to cover the phone's screen as he held it.

It showed Sharon wearing sunglasses, in a white bikini and sporting an alluring smile standing next to Ed, who was wearing black swim trunks and grinning from ear-to-ear. They were on the deck of a cruise ship. His arm was draped around her waist, and she was hugging him.

Michael could see why ol' Hugh wanted her to pose for him. She was quite a sight to behold. Tall, tanned and very stacked.

She chocked up briefly, took a large drink from her glass and then breathed deeply, fanned herself with her hands and then breathed several more times. "That was the last cruise we went on," she began and continued in a voice that suggested she was struggling to maintain control of her emotions, "That was the last time Ed was truly happy."

She went on to describe how for weeks before that, Ed whose memory was so pinpoint, other attorneys dread facing him in court, had showed signs of fading. He saw his doctor and they did their tests. She remembered being asked to go see his doctor with him, thinking it was cancer, but being horrified when they said the 'A-word', especially for someone as young as he was.

"I remember what he said that day, like it was yesterday," she said and quoted, "Sharon, it's going to be okay. I've worked hard to take care of you. There are people out there a lot worse off than us, so I don't want you worrying about me. Got it."

"Every time I wanted to break down and cry my eyes out," she said, "In my mind I heard him saying that to me, so I would grit my teeth and carry-on."

Draining her wine glass, she said, "That vacation was our last hoorah. After that, I was caring for him full-time; except for when I absolutely had to leave home, I was right there beside him," using her napkin to wipe her eyes she said, "Just like our marriage vow said, 'In sickness and in health'."

She fell silent for several minutes with her head down and Michael patted her hand. She then raised it and with a hand, flicked her hair from her tear-stained eyes and smiled. "I've gone on small family trips since he's been gone, but nothing big like coming here for the reunion," she said.

After a moment of silence her hand moved from the phone to Michael's knee, below the table and gave it a squeeze. She looked at him with those amazing green eyes and said, "I'm glad I did too."

Michael looked down and then returned her gaze. Smiling he said, "So am I."

Michael then lifted his wine glass and said, "A toast. To Ed and 'Becca. Dearly beloved and departed, but always alive in our hearts."

Sharon raised her glass to his and clicked it. They both then drank deeply of the wine.

They then exchanged phone numbers. Mike showed her how to use the camera on her phone to take a picture and link it to his number. His photo was a very casual profile shot. When Michael took hers -- always the model -- Sharon posed herself. She set both elbows on the table and rested her head on her hands as she pleasantly smiled. As he snapped the photo, he couldn't get over how amazing she looked.

Michael paid their bill and left a very generous tip, as they had occupied the table for most of the evening. As they walked out to the Escalade, Michael placed his hand on Sharon's shoulder and she in turn moved closer to him and hooked her arm around his waist. As they approached the big, luxury SUV, Michael took the key fob from his pocket and asked, "Want to give it a spin on the way back to the Sheraton?"