The Sweetest Fling Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

If Catherine had been attracted to someone other than his brother, Jack figured drifting apart wouldn't have hit him so hard. He would have moved on with his life, while she became a bittersweet memory he revisited less and less often.

Instead, he'd had to watch her give his brother the affection he craved for himself, marry the guy, and build a future with him--all while he wanted her with the same intensity he had before.

He couldn't see the point in relationships after that. Why settle for a woman who'd never measure up to his image of perfection--not fair on her or him--or risk being hurt again the next time someone stepped over him in favor of a better option?

Jack collected his empty beer bottle and went inside, his thoughts shifting to Meg as he closed the door behind him.

She had the potential to be different. He'd seen it right from the start, the way they clicked, the familiarity of just knowing her even though it had only been a couple of days. That alone should have terrified him, because if she had the potential to be different, she also had the power to ruin him.

He hadn't discussed his situation with anybody in the twelve years since his heart was torn out. There'd been nothing to gain from it, and he wouldn't chance any of the details getting back to Josh or Catherine, who, as hard as it was to admit, had done nothing wrong by acting on their attraction to each other.

Maybe it was time to take Meg up on her offer, talk to someone who had no connection to his life in Australia. His secrets could stay here, the weight of them left behind when he went back home.

Jack grabbed his wallet and room key, figuring he'd start with an apology and see where it went from there.

12