All Comments on 'The Thief in the Corner Office Pt. 02'

by JQueen9

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
diusfidusdiusfidus9 months ago

Love this. Ironic it is about stealing t

ech when the tech in use is from Joe Haldeman's boook, Tool of the Trsde.

Cant wait to see what else he makes her do.

JQueen9JQueen99 months agoAuthor

Good catch! You made my day!

Joe is a friend of mine, and I read his book when it was published years ago. For my money, he is the finest living SF writer in America. I hoped somebody would notice; that's why I gave my protagonist the same last name as Joe.

"Tools of the Trade" came out before smartphones, so I thought a sensible homage would have the protagonist use that as a mind-control device. I did the very same thing in my series "Keep This Secret."

Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter how mind control works. It can be based on magic, some kind of electronic technology, drugs, hypnosis - it all functions the same way in the end. One reason I enjoy mind-control stories is that anyone who had a mind-control device would ultimately have to reckon with the fact that it would inevitably lead to consequences that are much more significant than making it possible to have an endless series of sexual encounters.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by revealing that Bill Haldeman will have exciting sex in every chapter of "The Thief in the Corner Office," but by the end, he will have done other things that he didn't imagine when the story began.

James555888James5558889 months ago

I love it, really, very much potential. but the problem is that he makes her enjoy it, so it doesn't really work... he would take revenge if she actually hated it, but the things she hates he makes her love them, so really he's doing her favours... so it's not real revenge. At least not yet ;)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJQueen9@JQueen9
I worked as a professional writer and editor for many years. But I published fiction when I was younger, and I've had a longstanding interest in resuming.