The Unwanted Swap Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't be like that, Eddie darling. Nothing untoward has happened. We are friends and that is all."

"I thought you were trying to set him up with Rose?"

She sighed deeply. "I tried, I really did, but she just didn't seem interested. We went on several outings, the three of us, but she never seemed to click with Howard."

"So you decided to date him yourself?"

"We are not dating, as you put it. We are two friends who are working together. We do share similar interests. That is all. Now stop acting like a jealous lover. You are making me angry."

"Making you angry!" I snarled. "How the bloody hell do you think I feel. My supposed girlfriend is out every night with another man."

"Edwin, if you do not stop these silly accusations I am going to hang up. I have done nothing wrong."

Hang up! I wasn't giving her that satisfaction. I disconnected the call and turned my phone off.

I didn't get a lot of sleep that night. My mind was a whirlpool of emotions. Anger, jealousy, indecision. What the hell was I going to do living on the other side of the planet. It's not like I could catch him and knock his flaming block off.

The alarm clock ringing in my ears tolled in the new day, and it was a busy one. I didn't turn my phone back on until I was in the mess eating breakfast.

There were half a dozen messages from Claire. None of which were very nice. She made me well aware of what she thought of my behaviour. Juvenile, jealous, controlling, insecure. It took me back to my arguments with Rose. She made pretty much the same allegations about my behaviour, when I accused her of wanting to shag Tony.

It took a couple of days for the dust to settle. Rose acted as the intermediary. Claire apologised. "I am sorry, Eddie, I understand how this must look to you from afar. Honestly, if you were here and could meet Howard, it would be much easier."

I apologised for jumping to conclusions and Rose told us both off for acting like children. I thought that was rich, she started the whole bloody thing, filling my head with worry.

Still, as they say, life goes on. Rose and Claire were able to put aside their differences and their friendship seemed to be bubbling away.

Unfortunately, that coincided with one of the busiest times on the project: commissioning the first of the cooling water systems. It meant the days were long, hot and tiring. It was pretty much, work, eat, sleep.

Claire, Rose and I did catch up once or twice over the next couple of weeks, but it was short and not the long loving conversations we shared.

After the commissioning completed, I put some effort back into my relationship with Claire. It wasn't hard to see things had shifted a little. The conversations were warm, without being loving. There was a cool distance between us. She was hesitant to talk about what she was doing, unless it was to talk about the redecorating of the house.

Rose, as well, was hard to catch. She was now back working full-time for her previous employer, and because she wanted to impress, she worked days almost as long as mine.

It came out of the blue, a month to six weeks later. Claire rang me. I was still in the mess having dinner when she said those fateful words. "Eddie, can we talk please?"

I was finished anyway, so stood and walked out heading back to my room. "Yeah, what do you want to talk about?"

"Eddie, I do have a special place in my heart for you. After Tony, you were amazing and I will be forever in your debt, for seeing me through that period."

Oh, oh. I didn't like the sound of this. "Go, on."

"Eddie, there's no easy way to say this. I am not the sort of person to have an affair, especially when my partner is away. I promised you I would always be honest. This is no exception."

"Howard?" I spat out.

"Yes, I am afraid so, my love. We have been spending a lot of time together, and I have developed feelings for him. He has asked me to go away with him for the weekend."

"I see, and this trip would include sex?"

"Yes, that is the long and short of it. I'm sorry, Eddie."

"Well, I suppose I have to applaud your honesty, if nothing else."

A brief silence ensued until she said tearfully, "What do you want me to do, Eddie?"

"I'm not sure I have any say in this, do I?"

"What... don't be silly. If you tell me that you love me and we will live together until the end of days, then I will tell Howard no. Eddie, I have thought a lot about this. I do not do tawdry affairs. I prefer to be honest, and open."

"You're confusing me, Claire, I don't understand."

"Eddie, I loved our time together. You are amazing, wonderful, but I know I am a lot older than you. Surely you must have concerns, be honest."

"Yeah, I would be lying if I said otherwise. Look, Claire, I'm not sure where this is going. In one breath you tell me you're going away with him. The next you're telling me you love me. Just what the hell is going on?"

"I never said I was going with him. I said he asked me to go with him. If you can say to me right now that you love me and want to be with me, then I will tell him no."

"What do you want, Claire, just tell me that."

"I want to know where I stand with you, us. Is there an us?"

"Well, I thought there was, maybe I was wrong. You have feelings for Howard, you told me that already. If you want him, just do it." I was getting angry and the circulating conversation was pissing me off."

"Let's be clear, Eddie. If you cannot say you love me and want to spend eternity with me, then we need to reconsider."

"I do love you, Claire, but what that means, I don't know. There's Rose to consider, as well; where does she fit into this."

"Eddie, do you love Rose?"

"Yes, of course I do." Ooops, the words slipped out before I could stop them.

"Yes, of course you do, and she loves you. Eddie, darling, you two should be together. You are the true lover here. What we had was wonderful, but it was never meant to last. I think it's true purpose was to reunite with her."

"Just tell me, Claire. Do you wasn't to go with him?"

"Yes, yes I do."

"Then it's game over really isn't it?"

"Yes, perhaps it is. I will always love you, Eddie. You saved my life."

"I love you, as well, Claire. I don't know what the future holds. I mean old Howie might be a flop in the sack."

She laughed and had to wait several seconds to catch her breath. "Yes, he very well might be."

"What happens then?" I asked.

"Well, I will kick myself from here to eternity for throwing away a wonderful relationship."

"What about Rose, does she know?"

"No, I haven't told her yet. She isn't very happy with me because I have been spending an inordinate amount of time with Howard and she told me off. Said I was behaving like a slut. Accused me of sleeping with Howard, called him a lecherous bastard. It was all very unseemly."

"What happens now, then?"

"Well, Eddie, my love, I hope we can part as friends. I would hate to think we couldn't at least be friends."

"I would like that, Claire. Who knows what the future holds?"

The next day I received an explosive phone call. "Eddie, you fucking moron, you can't let her get away with it."

"Steady on, Rose. Firstly, she's not getting away with anything. She told me what she was doing. I accepted it."

"Christ, we couldn't even go to a bloody swingers party, but you let her go off for a dirty fucking weekend with that creepy old bastard."

"Creepy, you said he was nice?"

"Yeah, okay, he is nice, but they're fucking you over, you bloody pillock. They're going to be having sex, don't you get it."

"Rose, settle down. Jesus, you're going to have a coronary. I know what they're doing. Why are you so angry?"

"Because the bitch is cheating on you."

"She isn't cheating. Rose, last night we broke up. She's a free agent."

"What... She never told me that."

"Did you give her a chance?"

"No, I suppose not. It turned into a screaming match."

"Why"

"Because she's going off with him."

"Rose, are you feeling a little left out? Jealous perhaps?"

"Yeah, maybe." She spluttered. "But why didn't she tell me?"

"I would say she feels a bit let down. I assume she expected you to be a little more on her side, and less on mine."

"Eddie, can I move into your house? I'll pay for the appliances, I'll pay rent. I need to get out of here. I need to be gone when they get back."

I let her words hang in the air as I contemplated my answer. "What if I paid for a hotel, or apartment for you? The house isn't finished. There's other stuff apart from appliances."

"Eddie, please, I'm begging. I will finish whatever work needs doing. I will pay for everything. I just need to get out of here."

"Yeah, okay then. Go and see Gordy. He has the key. I will call him and let him know what's going on. He might let you use the caravan, if it's still there."

"Thanks Eddie, you're a gem."

"What happens when I get back?"

"If you want, I'll move out. I'm not doing this to gain possession."

"Okay, sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I just don't want things to get awkward between us."

"Eddie, I just want out of here before they get back. If when you get back you want me gone, then I'll be gone."

"And what if I don't want you gone?"

"Then I'll be right here waiting."

"What happens between now and when I get back? Are you going to be seeing anybody else?"

"No, idiot... If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I will be here when you return, waiting with open arms."

"Rose, forgive me for feeling a little hesitant about that statement. I mean we have some history in this area. Felix, Tony."

"Eddie, I'm not joking around. If you want I'll go out tomorrow and buy a chastity belt."

I laughed, coughing and spluttering. "Oh shit, I would love to see that."

"You don't believe me?"

"No, I don't; what's more, I wouldn't want you to. All I want is a commitment, a promise. But this time I want it to mean something."

"Eddie, I never broke one single promise to you."

"Yeah, what about Felix the wonderful?"

"We were broken up. You ran off and left me, and you slept with other women; you told me so."

"Okay, maybe this is a little to much too fast. You can get the key, but I want photo's of what you're doing, and you must get my permission first. Remember, I am your landlord now."

"Yeah, and I'm your financial adviser. All your money is in my bank. So be bloody careful what you ask for, shit head."

She sniggered a little at the last bit.

It was a very tense couple of days. Gordy had a laugh at my expense. "You, my lad, are a greedy little bugger." He did meet with Rose and open up the caravan, and the house.

Over the next few days, Rose and I talked every day, sometimes three or four times. She sent photos of the appliances she purchased. She showed me pictures of the huge bed she brought for the master bedroom.

Work was testing, we were now on a race to the completion of the project, and things were very tense. It took long hours and plenty of hard work to get through the pile of issues.

Hard to explain, why it didn't hurt as you would expect. I guess Claire and I both knew that our relationship was never a long-term thing. Yeah we said the words, but there was always this feeling in the back of my mind. We weren't like lovers, not in the normal sense. She wanted somebody who could fit in with her world. I believe that me refusing to move in with her was the start of the fracture, the thin end of the wedge, as it were.

Rose seemed completely focused on getting the house ready to move into. Less than three weeks after getting the keys, she moved in. She sent me photos, and even video footage of the house as she walked around, giving me the grand tour of my own home.

After moving in, she went back to her other focus, making money. I had a quick glance at the website most nights. Although I couldn't alter anything, I could trace her activity. She brought and sold. Some of the risks she took looked like bad choices, but they paid dividends.

There appeared to be a trend. As I followed her trading I could see how her mind worked. She had a set strategy and followed it ruthlessly.

Even with all the success, Rose seemed a little glum. "Okay, Rose, what's going on. Lately you seem unhappy."

"I miss Claire. I know she did the wrong thing, but I can't help it. I miss her."

"Why don't you call her, or go over for a visit?"

"Well, because of what she did to you, dummy."

"Rose, what happened between Claire and me... maybe that was a good thing. Perhaps we had run our course."

"So, if I said I was going over to visit, you wouldn't be pissed off with me?"

"No, I think it would be a good idea. She was your friend, after all."

"Eddie, we were more than friends."

"Yeah, I know. I was trying to be polite."

"What will I say?"

"Hello, is a good start."

"What if she's angry with me?"

"Then at least you'll know. Right now you're worrying about something that you are only guessing about."

"I'll think about it. I'm scared she will hate me for telling you about Howard."

"I was going to find out anyway. I believe her when she said she didn't do anything improper until we had spoken."

Two days later, I got the phone call. "Hello, darling. I just wanted to say thank you. Rose told me, it was you who encouraged her to visit."

"Don't thank me, Claire; she wanted to, I just reinforced that."

"Well, I am dreadfully glad you did. I have missed her so much. I wanted to call her, but she seemed so angry with me. Still, I think we are okay. We went for lunch at Finnegan's. It was lovely."

"Good, I'm glad. How have you been?"

"Wonderful, darling. Apart from missing you and Rose. The redecorating is finished. Tony has been expunged. I do miss you, darling. Your quirky humour. Can we still be friends?"

"Yes, I would like that, as well."

The project was completed ahead of schedule, so some of us were let go early. We collected our bonuses and headed for home.

In a moment of madness I decided to make my return a surprise. It was two weeks before I was expected back in the UK.

I grabbed the train back to Birmingham, and a taxi out to home. Driving in, I was shocked to find, gardens, trees, little rock walls edging the driveway. Bloody hell, it looked amazing.

Rose's car wasn't there, so I unloaded my bags and let myself in. If the gardens were a shock, the inside looked sensational. It was no longer an empty space; there was furniture, rugs, the kitchen was fitted with the very best appliances. As I walked through the house I peeked into every room. All except the master were empty.

I left my bags in the master and went back out to have a look out back. Nothing much to see out there. A couple of trees planted, but that was the extent of it.

Wandering around the living area, I looked a little deeper. The fridge was full of food, everything fresh.

The TV was enormous, a powerful stereo DVD player. Flopping down in one of the big comfy chairs. I put my feet up and tried to take stock. Rose did send photos, but they didn't do it justice. She did a fabulous job of the decorating, the place felt like home, warm and comfortable.

I heard a car pull up, I stood quickly and rushed to the window. Peeking out I saw Rose climbing out of her car.

She picked out a few grocery bags in her arms and staggered towards the door.

As she swung the door open I stood back. She looked confused. I guess, why was the door unlocked.

She placed the bags on the bench and turned slowly. "Hello, Rose." I whispered, hoping not to scare her."

The look on her face changed from concerned to absolute shock. "Oh my god, Eddie."

"Hey, Rose, surprise."

She rushed into my arms, her mouth colliding with mine. Her arms encircled my head and her legs my waist. I staggered a little, trying to keep balance, but with her tongue ravaging my mouth, my head spun.

I staggered backwards into the lounge and crashed backwards onto the sofa.

She sat astride me, our eyes locked. "What happened, you weren't due home for weeks. I was going to come and collect you."

"We finished early, so they let us go."

"Why didn't you call? I wanted to pick you up."

"It was my surprise. I was planning to catch you in the arms of your lover."

"Hah, my lover is in the bedroom, second drawer down. He probably needs new batteries, though, because he has been getting a torrid workout lately."

"A likely story."

She gave me a scowl. "Are you serious?"

I smiled, it was a joke that got twisted. "It was just a joke."

She slapped my shoulder playfully. "Well it's not funny."

She asked almost apologetically, "So what do you think of the place?"

"It's pretty swish. Looks great."

"You like it... Thank god, I have been so nervous that you wouldn't like it."

"The landscaping looks great out the front. Didn't think gardening was your thing."

"Cheeky bastard," she snapped back. "Actually, Beth helped me. She is really nice once you get to know her. She gave me most of the plants. She has her own nursery and propagates lots of different varieties."

"Yeah, she's a lovely lady."

"God, I don't know what you did, but she thinks the sun shines out your arse. You must have really charmed her."

"Yeah I get on great with middle-aged women. They see me as a cute little toy."

"Fuck off, she thinks you're a nice boy."

"That's because I am."

We snogged a little before I asked. "How are things between you and Claire now?"

"Good, actually. They weren't for a long time, but after you and I talked. I decided to go and see her. It was cold at first, awkward and uncomfortable. It took a couple of visits before we were comfortable enough to talk about what happened. There were lots of tears, but as we talked I realised how much I loved her, and I believe that is shared. It allowed us to get past all the jealousy."

"Jealousy?" I asked.

"Yeah, I had to be honest with myself. I was feeling jealous. I sort of felt she was casting me aside, as well as you. You might find this hard to believe, but I have feelings for her as well."

She melded against me in a hug and I whispered, "I knew that. It was obvious."

"I don't think she did. I know she was seeing him, but I don't think they did the dirty until after we broke up."

"Maybe physically, but emotionally, that's different."

"The bottom line, Rose, is that I don't think either of us was fully into it to start with. I think we both realised it was fun, but never meant to last. It did get her through a rough patch, I think, that's all that matters."

She sighed. "You're probably right, but still she was pretty quick to jump into his bed."

"What's he like?"

She cringed. "Okay, if you weren't going out with her at the time, I would have said he is perfect for her. He is actually very nice."

"I'm glad, she needed to find somebody who could support her."

"Support her... God he's obsessed, besotted, wildly in love. And she's like a schoolgirl in love when she's around him."

Rose, I'm happy for her. I don't say that lightly, Our relationship gave me something that I can't explain, but I needed it as much as she did."

She gave me a warm smile. "Well, I'm just glad to have you back. What would you like for dinner first night home?"

"Something simple."

She rushed into the kitchen to start. I called after her. "I'm going to have a shower, and get changed."

The shower was refreshing, and it was the first time in the house. I stepped in under the flooding jets of steaming water, enjoying the relaxing massage. I took my time, luxuriating in the feel, but more than the shower, it gave me time to clear my head.

Rose... what to do? She obviously expected that this was a new start, new beginnings. There was a certain feeling of being manipulated. Rose had got what she wanted, and moved into what was going to be my house.

1...456789