The Valentine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tommy!" Jack said quickly, making Tommy grab the door jamb to stop himself. "The second book about me, remind me of the title?"

"Plowboys Grave?"

"The first one?"

"The Thorny Rose?"

"Yes, that's the one! Right, thanks Tommy!"

"Sure!" Tommy yelled, taking off again.

Jack turned to me with a smirk. "The Thorny Rose? And written before The Plowboys Grave. Do you happen to have this book on hand?" he asked, moving to look over the shelves.

"You'll not find that old thing in here," I said, smiling. "Doubt you'd find it in any stores either, old and awful as it is. Maybe a used book shop."

"Awful? Doubtful. I've yet to read anything of yours that could be called awful. Even the one about the donkey and the monkey was just funny. Did you know I thought you made up monkeys for a long time? A tiny furry manlike creature. Who could imagine they were real?"

"Seriously? They are in books! Real books, not fiction."

"But I only read your books. Anyway, one of my boys told me about them. Wasn't until he talked about them, described them, that I realized you hadn't made them up."

"You're lying! Everyone knows what a monkey is!"

"It's the truth! I didn't know. Not until Samir told me about them. Separately. He told me about them and I realized you hadn't made them up. He never read your story so far as I knew, he was just talking about them one evening. I heard him talk and it dawned on me. Here I thought you were this clever and imaginative girl and the whole time you were getting information from other books."

I laughed, delighted. "That is just ridiculous! I refuse to believe you never heard of a monkey!"

"Where would I have heard of one? Or read about one? Your books are the only books I read that school didn't make me read and you read every book in school I had to read. Did they mention monkeys? Any of them? No. Plowboys also can't plow into the underworld and gamble with death, why would I think monkeys were real if you could make up any little thing you wanted to make up?"

"Because they ARE real! I am sure Dorathea called Ephram monkey face more than once when we were younger."

"If she did I don't remember. I would have heard a gibberish made up word, why would I remember it? She could have been saying anything!"

I laughed so hard I had to sit down, shaking my head and wiping away tears.

"So, The Thorny Rose. Has the sound of a romance novel to me. You have to have a copy somewhere in this giant house. I am betting your bedroom? Next to your bed. Right?"

"You're so amusing!" I said sarcastically, still wiping my eyes.

"And... for the record... I agree completely with your assessment of that Janey. Vapid, as you would say in your books."

"Hush. It's close to dinner, people come out of the woodwork and you never know who is listening."

"The woodwork?"

"Yes. The families are huge and all the cousins show up in some sort of rotation they all seem to be aware of but I never am. I stopped trying to figure it out. It's the boys they all talk to now anyway."

"You can't tell them to eat at their own house?"

I paused a moment, considering. "They have just always come, it never occurred to me to tell them to stop. It's like some long standing tradition."

"If you don't like it, you don't have to continue it. Not that I am trying to change how you do anything."

I shrugged. "This old house is enormous. I don't actually care who comes and goes and stays, so long as they are considerate and there is room if I wish to have a single guest."

He leaned close to me. "I guess you are thinking I am spending the night here? Forward of you to ask, but I accept."

"Jack!"

He laughed, a deep, from the belly laugh and it made me laugh too.

"You truly are incorrigible! Yes, you are welcome to sleep here in the guest room I have provided to you."

"Thank you," he answered in a mock bow. "And where might my room be in relation to your room?"

"You need not know that! Not at all! And anyway, my door will be locked!"

"Locking yourself in with a good book? About thorny roses?"

"You just hush! As it happens I do have a book to read. A dear friend wrote it and sent it to me. She was one of my first fans that wrote to me and now she is writing books as well."

"That is nice, actually. You inspired her. I wonder how many you have inspired, Cass? Besides me and your friend?"

"Sterling. Madison."

"And them. I imagine you have inspired a great many people."

I looked down, my thoughts making me catch on something else. "Jack?"

"Mm?"

"Do you ever think on Dew?"

He sat down, his look pensive. "Sometimes."

I sat down near him. "Did you know he was in love with you?"

"Not until Eph pointed it out. It was obvious after he said it... putting it into context. But I just couldn't see it that way until it was framed for me. After, I couldn't imagine how I hadn't seen it. How jealous he was. How he hated you and then his raging hostility towards Mr Whittier. The things he said to me. Always sleeping over, wanting to help. Never wearing clothes. I thought he was just... very open and hated being constricted. Looking back... all the times he wanted to wrestle, go swimming, sleep over and share a bed instead of sleeping on the couch."

"He never tried to kiss you?"

"No... no, but there was one night..."

"One night?"

"I woke up and the bed was moving just a little. I knew what he was doing, but I pretended to be asleep. We all did it, just... not when we slept over. Alone. You know? After that, I knew there were other times he had done it and I hadn't woken up. I just thought his dreams were better than mine. After Eph told me what you said... all of those things hit me. The picture was so clear then. Then I felt like an idiot and a jerk. What sort of friend didn't see something so glaringly obvious. I felt sick when he killed himself. I could have talked to him, let him know I wasn't upset."

"Even after what he did to Sterling?"

"Cass... I know you loved Sterling, but I didn't. And Dew was my best friend. If I wanted to blow smoke, I would say no, I would condemn him for that. But honestly? Who am I to condemn anyone for taking what they want? Especially back then."

"He killed him!"

"That. I condemn him for that! That's not what I meant. I meant the trying to figure things out and make a move on the guy he thought was like him. Even so... I wish I could have at least told him I didn't hate him for it. I may not have felt the same, but I didn't hate him. Anyway, it was a long time ago. Long done with. Met a few men like him in my travels, worked with a couple of them. Made it clear to them I didn't care. It wasn't for me, but I wouldn't hurt them for it. I kept their secrets. Got good at seein' who was who, you know? Just because they dressed like Mr Whittier, that didn't mean anything. You had to watch who they looked at and how. That's actually how I learned to start reading people like I do. After that first boy got killed like he did, I started watching for them. Kept them from the others. Kept their secrets and made sure they knew how to be more discrete. Some took it to mean I was like them, but all I had to say was no one time and they never bothered me again. Felt like it was the least I could do for Dew. He didn't have anyone to help him, show him the way and protect him. All he had was his anger."

"You did what you could and that is laudable. Most men wouldn't have done that. Especially not in your line of work."

"What do you know about my line of work?" he teased, but I could still hear the emotion in his throat.

"Of all the things I have nightmares about... the ones of Dew are the ones that haunt me the most. I dream of the night Sterling died and what happened to him. How he must have felt, how scared he must have been. How angry. Dew is always there, and I wake up screaming at him. Hating him with a renewed passion every time. I don't hate what he was, I hate what he did. What he did to a good man who didn't deserve it. What he did to me. I am glad you were good to men who needed your protection. Dew does not deserve your tears."

"I understand how you feel," he said softly. "I'm sorry you still hurt so much, Cass. I wish I knew how to heal you."

"You could have not shown up," I answered softly, my heart wrenching in my chest.

He flinched visibly. "Cass..."

"I'm sorry. I spoke before I thought again. I didn't mean that like it sounded... I just... all these memories. You coming back, you opened the door."

"I'm sorry. I wanted to make you smile again, Cass, not hurt you."

"I know. And you have, I haven't smiled and laughed like this since before Mads died."

"Mads," he said with a smile. "If I had been given a name as awful as Madison, I think I would have gone by Mads too."

"What's wrong with Madison?"

"Nothing, I guess. Just never heard it until you married him. Never met any Madisons at all that weren't from the east and weren't from money. The other two I met didn't go by Mads either. They reminded me a bit of your Sterling. HE could have been a Madison. Suited him better than Sterling."

"I know you are not making fun of either of my late husbands."

"I thought you were never married to Sterling?"

"Not technically, but I think of him as my first husband."

"I wasn't really making fun. I didn't like Sterling. Not after that night. Well. Not before that night either. But even more after that night. Why did you let him..."

"I didn't. I don't want to talk about that," I said quickly.

"How many times did he make you..."

"I said I don't want to talk about it!" I snapped.

"Mother, is this the one? There are two amethyst rings, but I like this one better and I... Mother, are you well?"

"Fine, Tommy, thank you. Yes, that is the one. Will you ask her tonight? You are wearing your good suit! She must be very special if she got you to wear a suit!" I teased, but my stomach was still churning.

"Yes, I wanted to ask her. Do you think I should wait? I feel like I have waited so long! We both have. I know she will say yes. Should I wait?"

"No, my darling. No. Don't wait. If she makes you happy, then go for it. The world needs more happiness."

"It does," Jack agreed softly. "We should all allow happiness in our lives."

"Then I will ask her tonight! We can be married as soon as you want to set up the wedding! Where should I take her on our honeymoon? It has to be somewhere special!"

"Well, you have to take her overseas, to England," Jack said. "To see the St Leger."

Tommy's face lit up. "Of course! Yes! But... we would have to leave straight away to get there in time! I'm not sure we could even sail quickly enough to make it? I would have to find out!"

"What am I missing?" I asked Jack, confused.

"Horse race," he answered. "I think you are correct, Tommy. If you managed to sail tomorrow, it may not be in time. But! You can take her for your anniversary next year if you have your wedding on the same day it's held!"

"That's a splendid idea! Then we could tour Europe as well!"

"I'm not sure I like you sending my son off to foreign countries," I teased Jack lightly.

"Dinner is ready, Miss," a servant called from the door.

Tommy lit up and fixed his suit, then hurried to the dining hall. I took Jack's arm and let him walk me in more slowly, then we stood back and watched as Tommy held a chair for Valery who was dressed in her Sunday best and looking a little terrified.

I went in and pulled her into a hug and kissed her cheek, welcoming her before sitting down. Jack made it a point to hold my chair for me and I rolled my eyes at him.

Garreth joined us along with Janey, looking surly and hurt. I felt bad for him, but my eyes were drawn to Janey as she leaned across to speak to her friends and laugh and smile. She ate and drank with gusto, talking and smiling. She had no regard at all for Garreth's dark mood and none at all for the tiny life in her body, if there was one. Her corset was cinched so tightly, I wondered how she managed to eat at all.

I worried for my son and his feelings.

The first course arrived and Tommy did not wait, bounding out of his chair and going to a knee in front of Valery. The girl blushed and looked around nervously. Fearfully as the others sneered at her and looked at her in disdain. Her eyes moved to mine, terrified.

I smiled at her and nodded. She managed a small smile back, then looked at Tommy and nodded. He jumped up, pulling her into a hug and they both laughed. There was sniggering around the table and I stood up angrily.

"Valery! Welcome to the family, we are so very happy to have you. All of us. As Tommy's wife, that will make you a Durham and my daughter. An heir to the Madison name. No one at this table will stand higher than you. No one," I said pointedly, looking at Janey who was whispering to the girl next to her. The girl nudged her and Janey looked at me. She had not been listening. "Everyone here will treat you with the utmost respect, always. As I am sure they already did," I said, still staring at Janey, who seemed confused now. "I could not be more proud of my son who has chosen so well with his heart, a sweet and kind girl who will love him wholly and make him proud in every way. Make all of us proud. Please, be welcome here and thank you for joining our family and adding your light to ours. I cannot wait to take you out and spoil you and help you with the wedding. I never had a daughter to spoil, only sons, so you will forgive me if I go a bit overboard. Have your mother come to me, as the mother of the bride, arranging the wedding is in her hands, but please, I hope she humor me and will allow me to host and help as much as she will allow. And you... such a darling you are! I am terribly excited to take you shopping! My wedding gift to you will be a wardrobe of your choice, all I ask is that I get to come with you and your mother and spend some time getting to know you both as you are fitted for it and find what you like."

Valery stared at me, her eyes wide, then tears welled up as she looked at Tommy. He was grinning at her and she looked back to me and nodded shyly.

"I could come too if you like!" Janey said suddenly. "We'll be sisters soon enough after all! And besides... I have some shopping that needs done now too! Since my dresses won't be fitting me in the near future!"

"Janey, not now," Garreth hissed as everyone looked at her.

"It's the perfect time to announce! We are going to have a baby!"

There were exclamations and congratulations all around and I stood trembling. "Garreth," I said coldly. "I will see you and your wife in the parlor, right now."

He dropped his eyes and nodded, taking Janey's arm and leading her out of the dining room as everyone murmured.

I stormed to the parlor angrily and slammed the door as Janey looked at me with a pleased smile, holding her tummy.

"Missy!" I called out the door. "Send for the doctor right now! Get him here as quickly as he is able!"

Janey's smile faltered as I turned and looked at her.

"Did you really just RUIN my son's proposal by announcing a fake pregnancy?" I asked, livid.

"Mother!" Garreth said, shocked.

"We... we told you earlier. I am pregnant," she said uncertainly, smiling.

"I have been pregnant! Garreth, were you with her at the doctor or did she tell you of it later?"

"Later, but I know she went, she left with her friends and came back and told me!"

"When I was pregnant, I could not eat, I couldn't even smell food without wishing I was dead. She has had no issues at all with either. More importantly, she is still wearing a corset. No pregnant mother would still be wearing a corset, causing harm to a child in her womb. This is a farce! She wants attention."

"That isn't so! Garreth! I showed you the little knot where the baby is in my tummy!"

"So when the doctor arrives, you will have no issues letting him listen to the baby's heartbeat?" I asked.

She went pale, her eyes wide. "That isn't necessary, not at all! I already heard the baby's heartbeat! I don't need to be molested by some new doctor and go through the trouble of it again!"

"It's a very simple process, if you have ever been through it you would know. There is no 'molesting'. Admit it, Janey. I was willing to let it go when I knew you were faking it for attention and intended to pretend to lose it for the attention. But you went too far in taking away my son's night for him."

"Garreth, please! This is upsetting me so!" Janey cried.

"Jane... Are you pregnant?" Garreth asked, hurt painting his features.

"Of course! I showed you, didn't I?"

"Then we wait for the doctor," I said, crossing my arms.

"If it isn't MY doctor then I won't let him touch me! Anyway, it has to be a special doctor! One for mothers and babies."

"So you saw a specialist? What was his name?"

"I... it was Smith."

"There is a single Obstetric doctor in town and HER name is Doufresne."

"It wasn't that kind of doctor! It was a doctor for women who are pregnant!"

I looked at Garreth, my teeth clenched as he grimaced.

"Jane... that IS a doctor for women who are pregnant. You lied to me? You got my hopes up for... what? For attention? Why?"

"No, Gary! I wasn't lying! I was pregnant! I lost it and I was so afraid to tell you, you were so happy! I have been going through this all alone and trying to pretend to be happy for you, but..."

"That's enough Jane," Garreth said harshly, his voice thick with anger and betrayal.

"The doctor can tell if you have miscarried as well," I said to Janey. "And if you have, you will need care. A lot of it. In fact, you should probably be in bed."

"Oh... yes. Yes, I do feel like I should lay down."

"The couch is fine. I want the doctor to be able to look you over right away."

"There is no need! Done is done and nothing can be done now anyway. I will just rest a while and..."

"Janey, shut up! Don't you know she sees right through you? She knows you are lying through your teeth and she is mocking you. Mother DID have a miscariage when she was a lot further along with my baby sister. She was up the next day. You faking it is insulting to every woman like her who HAS lost a child. No, don't argue, just shut up! Listen for once! You aren't getting out of this. You LIED. You lied to me, my mother, all of our family out there. You stole away my brother's big moment. I... I'm sorry I ever met you Janey. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Mother... I'm sorry. I... Janey, go on home to your mothers. I am going to take a trip for a while. Be gone."

"Garreth, no," I snapped. "Running away is not the solution. Here is what is going to happen. I am hiring a lawyer and this union will be dissolved immediately."

"No!" Janey cried.

"If you so much as whisper a word against it or object or our families name touches your lips, I will release the details of what happened in this room today. Tell the world who you really are. Your family will never live down the shame of the bitch who lied her way into a marriage and schemed and connived to steal away my son's heart and trick him into thinking he would have a child to love, then stealing that joy from him like some villain from a child's story. You are a heartless, soulless, insipid piece of trash! I will see your whole family ruined! You will sign the papers and you will do it quietly, then you will take a trip. Anywhere but Charleston. Anywhere but where my son is. And you will never speak of him or mine again. If you do, so help me, you will curse the day your father kissed your mother. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes?" she answered, her eyes wide in fear.

"Get out of my house."

She fled and Garreth stood staring at me with huge eyes. "Mother... that was... a little terrifying! I never knew you had that in you! That was... fantastic!" he laughed, shocked. "We can really dissolve our marriage?"