The Valentine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You have many cousins, but none from me," he answered angrily. "My first wife died in childbed and my second wife was barren."

"You would be the last of my own grandchildren," Zelda said haughtily. "The other cousins are my brother's children and my more recent late husband's children and grandchildren. Why would that woman accuse you of lying to us?"

"Because we rode together and I embarrassed her. She spoke down to me and I let her know I didn't like it. She decided she was going to make sure I didn't get away with slighting her and her name, so she followed me and made accusations everywhere we stopped, each more wild than the last. Where are we going?"

"Home," she answered tersely.

"When can I see Sterling again?"

"You will not appear in public again until you have been made ready!" she snapped. "You are a Madison. We have an image to maintain. I will not let you tarnish our name with your ignorance."

"Look, I don't really care about the name. I came here to be with Sterling. Get married and be happy. I don't want anything else."

"Apparently he did, or else he would have stayed gone," Allistair said with a snort.

"No, it wasn't like that. We had to leave."

"Why?"

"There was this boy... and the town... it's a long story, but we had to leave. We were coming back here and he was going to teach at the college. That's all. We both wanted that. I don't want to... be put in society or anything."

"You are a Madison, my granddaughter. I just got you back and I intend to see you enter society as a Madison."

"I'm a Sutton and I am proud to be a farmer's daughter. My PA taught me to be proud of who I am and I am. MA was happy to be a farmer's wife and I will be proud to be a teacher's wife."

"Hah. She IS Amy's daughter," Allistair laughed.

"Girl, you will not fight me on this. It is not so much to ask you to behave as a lady for a short while until the wedding is said and done. You will be in the public eye for that long. A Madison returned after all these years. The newspapers will be watching you keenly. Watching all of us. You can step up for a short time and behave yourself. Act like a lady and not a... thing from the wild."

"Can't we just say that it was a mistake? I am not your granddaughter? And I can just go be with Sterling?"

"You truly have no wish to meet the rest of your family?" Allistair asked, sounding offended.

I deflated. "It's not that... it's just... I like who I am. If I'm not good enough for you people, then it's your loss. I don't need a fine dress or pearls or a stupid looking hat," I said, gesturing to the feathered atrocity on Zelda's head. "Just me should be enough for anyone who really cares about me."

"That is enough!" Zelda snapped angrily. "You spoiled, ungrateful little thing! I have invited you into my home and arranged to take care of you! See you turned into a lady and enter you into society. There is prestige in our name and I will not have you tarnishing it in ignorance!"

"So you said. I have no wish to tarnish your name, I have no wish to your name at all! Seems like my ma felt the same way! Let me out! I will go find Sterling myself!"

"Al!" Zelda snapped as I yanked on the door to the carriage.

Allistair caught my arms and sat me down, holding on to me gently. "Settle down, Cassandra," he said with a sigh. "Let's just get home and we can all sit and talk about everything."

"I don't want to go anywhere with you people! I want to go back and find Sterling!"

"If you don't stop, I will forbid you to see that boy again!" Zelda snarled.

"You can't do that! You have no right to do that to either of us! I am a woman grown and he is a man grown!"

"You have no idea what I am capable of! I am tired of your temper! Al, when we get home, put her in Amy's room and lock the door. She can go without dinner and see if that quells her mouth!"

I laughed at her. "You think sending me to bed without supper is going to hurt me? I think you underestimate me, old woman. I am no lady all frail and simpering and weak. No wonder ma ran from you, I'm just amazed she didn't do it sooner. Lock me up. See what it gets you."

Allister chuckled again and pulled me out of the carriage as it rolled to a stop. He tucked me under an arm like a sack of grain and carried me up the stairs to a set of huge doors that opened as he approached. The inside was lit up and servants were hurrying around, as well as people in suits and dresses, moving to be able to see as Allistair came in with me. They all stared in shock as he carried me down a huge, grand hall with marble floors to a giant staircase and up. He took me down another hall, passing another servant who looked terrified, then into a room. He tossed me on the bed, then went to leave. He paused at the door and turned to look at me, grinning. He gave me a wink before shutting the door, clearly amused by me.

I jumped up and ran to the door, but it was locked. I looked around the huge room. The fireplace was lit, a fire going nicely and wood next to it in a bin. The giant bed was large enough for ten people to sleep comfortably with largy, heavy blankets. There were wardrobes, dressers with mirrors and jewelry boxes full of jewelry. The wardrobes had older dresses. I wondered if they were my ma's old clothes. I ran to the windows and opened them, stepping out onto the balcony and looking down. It was a drop, but I was sure if I climbed down and held on and fell from the bottom of the balcony, it wouldn't be a hard fall and I wouldn't get hurt. Even so, I went and yanked the curtain off the window and tied it to the bottom of the balcony before climbing over. I slid down it, then turned and ran across the gardens and around the side of the house.

There were men there, unhitching the carriage and putting the horses in a stable. I walked by with my head high, like I had every right to be there and they ignored me completely. I got around to the front of the house and looked at the cobblestone street, wondering which way we came. I picked a direction, not wanting to hang around and be caught.

"Hey now," a man called, catching up to me.

I looked at him, prepared to run as he slowed to a walk next to me. "What do you want?" I demanded.

He grinned down at me. He was a tall, slender boy with a mop of blonde hair and big brown eyes. He had on fancy clothes and I immediately mistrusted him. "Name's Madison," he said, clasping his hands behind his back.

"Madison? Ok. Do you have a first name?"

"That is my first name," he answered, grinning. "Father thought it would endear me to the old bat. So you're my cousin I have been hearing about. You running away? Like your mother did?"

"I am just going to do what I came here to do. My ma's family was never supposed to know I was coming here."

"So what is it you're here to do that has you heading towards the ocean?"

"I am wanting to head into town. Do you know where the Whittiers live?"

"Easy enough for me to find out. We could just hire a coach and say where we wish to go. We'll have to go back that direction though, nothing this side of the manor but water and the servants slums. How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

"You don't look it."

"I do, if you look past the height."

"Ok, you may have a point. Do you have a name, cousin?"

"Cass."

"Cass?"

"Cassandra Sutton."

"Amelia's daughter. I've seen paintings, you look a lot like her."

"My Pa says I do. Why are you helping me?"

"Are you kidding? If you go away, all of this is mine."

I looked at him with a frown. He was joking, from his tone, but I didn't get the joke. "How old are you?"

"Nineteen. So this Whittier you are looking for, he's the man you are supposed to marry?"

"Sterling Whittier, yes."

"I think I have heard of the Whittiers. I don't pay much attention to the families, but even I have heard that name. They must be someone then."

"Everyone is someone."

"Not here. Here, you have to have the right name to be a someone and if you aren't a someone, then you are a no-one."

"That makes my head hurt."

"Try growing up with it!"

"Is there a way to go wide of the house?" I asked as we started to pass in front of the huge manor.

He chuckled. "No one is looking for you. They think you are thrown across your bed, sobbing for being set down and publicly humiliated. All but Al."

"Allistair?"

"Yes. He told me to keep an eye on you, not let you get hurt or in trouble."

"So he knew I would leave."

"He did. Right up here at the crossroads, we can ring for a carriage. So you're really from out west?"

"Yes."

"Did you see any indians?"

"No. Just normal people."

"Oh," he answered, disappointed. "Outlaws?"

"No? I mean... maybe. I saw a man in jail once... but I don't think he's an outlaw like you mean. Just a boy I went to school with who did something wrong."

"No bank robbers or anything?"

"No. It was a small, quiet little town."

He helped me into the small carriage. "The Whittier residence," he said confidently to the driver before getting in. He looked at me as he sat down. "So, if you get caught, you can't say I helped you."

"I wouldn't do that."

"Good," he grinned. "So this man of yours, how did you meet him if he is from one of the families?"

"He left to teach out west. He was my teacher."

"So he is older than you? By a lot or a little?"

"By some. It doesn't matter, I like him."

"So he was your teacher and he just asked you to marry him and come back here?"

"No... he made me a Valentine. A sweet, thoughtful Valentine. Then I noticed him and we talked some and I noticed him more... it just happened. We came back because we sort of had to. This is all kind of a huge accident that just keeps spinning more and more out of control."

"You'll have to tell me all about it when you have more time."

"Why are you helping me?"

He grinned again. "Like I said, you take off, I get everything," he teased. "You are the last Madison. I'm not a Madison, I'm a Durham. We aren't technically related at all, just by marriage. By rights, blood gets everything, that's you. With you gone, it goes back to me inheriting everything when the old bat goes. Not that I am wishing her ill, don't hold that comment against me."

"I won't," I agreed, confused. "But we aren't really cousins?"

"Not by blood. My widower grandfather married your widowed grandmother. They both already had families. They got married, and that made all of us sort of related by their union, but there is no blood there. Guess this is it?" he asked as we slowed to a stop. He got out and helped me out, then paid the driver. "Wait here for me while I see her in," he told the man.

He led me to the door and knocked. A servant opened it and bowed.

"Miss Cassandra Madison to see Sterling Whittier," Madison said importantly. The servant opened the door wider, letting us in. I started to follow, but Madison caught my arm. "She will announce us, then they will either come to us or the servant will direct you to them."

I nodded, going still but bouncing on my toes anxiously.

The servant returned with a man following behind her. "Miss Madison?" the man asked, eyeing me.

"Sutton, actually, yes. Is Sterling here?"

"Not yet. My apologies, I was given to understand you would be at your grandmothers for at least a week before you and Sterling would be seeing each other."

"I wanted to see him tonight. I... I have to tell him something important."

"He isn't here."

"Where is he?"

"I'm not sure. I was told they would be home tonight. They did not say where they were going."

"Thank you sir, we will call back another time," Madison said politely, taking my arm gently. "Miss, I will see you back home now," he said to me, a warning in his eyes. He bowed to the man and then led me back out to the carriage. "Downtown," he snapped to the driver before getting in. He looked angry and preoccupied.

"What's wrong?" I asked fearfully.

"They know. Something is wrong. Your man was there, but they weren't letting you see him. Couldn't you tell he was lying? The way he kept looking at the side door, hoping your man wouldn't walk through it and give him the lie? No, they know. The old bat must have talked to them, made them some deal. She intends to have him married off before he finds out, I bet. They probably had someone in mind for him."

"Victoria," I breathed fearfully.

"VanDenBurg?"

"Yes!"

"Oh... I do not envy him. He is that old? We will need a plan. She probably has someone in mind for you too, he'll be there in place of your Sterling for the wedding. Probably a Remington. Ok, first, let's go ahead and get you back home. Make them think you are properly contrite and docile. You play along, let them try and make a lady of you and I will reach out to your Sterling. We will find a way out of this mess. Can you do that?"

"You would really do that for me? You hardly know me!"

"I would do it just to thwart the old bat. Hateful old crone. Driver! Madison estate!" he yelled the last. "I will get you back in the servants entrance and up to your room. In the morning, put up a little fuss, but not too big. Don't just roll over, but play along. Can you do that?"

"How long?"

"As long as it takes. I will get word to Sterling as quick as I can. I have a friend I can send over since they have seen my face. I will let you know."

The night was long, but the next day was longer. Listening to Zelda talk down to me and snap at me while women measured me and then took my clothes away before bathing me and scrubbing me raw and trimming my hair. There wasn't a single eyelash on me that they didn't fuss with. I had felt less violated after Jack had finished with me. Worse was when they started redressing me. They put a contraption on me that made it so I couldn't breath and shoved my breasts up to my chin. My waist was smaller than was natural and I felt like a sausage. The brocaded satin dress they put on me fit way too snugly and it wouldn't fit at all without that awful contraption. It dipped low enough in front that I was ashamed, but they all seemed to think it was just fine to show that much skin. They curled and twisted my hair, piling on my head and pinning it within an inch of its life rather than just letting the curls hang as they usually did. They put powders on my face and jewelry on my ears and neck. I felt like a fraud as I looked at the creature in the mirror. That wasn't me.

"Do not scowl so! You will put lines in your face. Relax your face and try to appear pleasant. Not a full smile, but a pleasant visage," Zelda demanded.

I couldn't manage anything but a grimace. "When can I see Sterling?" I demanded.

"Not yet. We are having your wedding dress made and we will have a rehearsal dinner first to make sure you are ready to be seen in public. There will be many people there writing about the wedding, you have to get it right."

I rolled my eyes. Rehearsal dinner? Rehearsing a wedding? What sort of foolishness was that? All you had to do was say 'I do' and kiss.

That evening, I had to sit at the table with the huge family. I had thought sitting would be impossible. It turned out it wasn't impossible to sit, but it was impossible to eat.

Zelda introduced me around the table and Madison hardly glanced up from his conversation with the man next to him when she introduced him. He was much better at subterfuge than I was.

That night, I asked one of the servants to bring a plate of food up to my room before I went up. I had to have help to get out of the contraption. I was happily in a big flowing nightgown, curled up and eating when Madison slipped in.

He grinned at me as I shoved more food in my mouth. "I got word to my friend, he is going to go as soon as he can. You looked flat miserable down there!" he teased.

"I was! Do you know what they make girls wear under dresses here?"

"A gentleman would say no," he laughed. "But I do happen to know. Keep eating that way and you'll not fit in your dresses even with a corset."

"I eat how I want," I snarled, shoving more food in my mouth to prove my point.

"He laughed again and sat down across from me. "I have to admit, you didn't look bad in that dress with your hair all done up."

"Shut up."

"Almost looked like a lady."

"Almost? What else could they have possibly done to me?"

"Ladies don't scowl at everyone who glances their way," he teased. "You want some dessert? I can have something sent up."

"No thanks."

"You want anything?"

"You have any books?"

"Me? No. There is a library downstairs, what book would you like?"

"Something with action? Maybe something scary? Or a love story. Something good. Are there any penny dreadfuls?"

"Oh... cousin!" he groaned. "No. Nothing like that here. Zelda may KILL me if she finds out, but I will try and get some for you. Hide them. If I find some while you are out tomorrow, I will put them in that drawer there under whatever is in it. Anything else? A cat, perhaps?"

"A cat? Can I have a cat? I've always wanted a pet."

"No!" he laughed. "It was a joke. Zelda HATES cats."

"Oh," I answered glumly.

He left, still chuckling. At least I had one friend here.

The next day was more of the same. Shopping for dresses, hats, jewelry. Meeting 'ladies' for lunch and tea at places that did nothing but serve tea and food. Not that I could eat or drink at all. The whole time Zedla was 'teaching' me how a lady talks and acts.

That night, there was a small stack of stories in my drawer and a cookie on my nightstand. I grinned and ate it while I read.

The next day was more meeting people and lessons, but all at home, people coming to us. I saw Madison twice, but he walked by without looking. That evening when he went passed, Zelda called to him.

"Madison, you met my grandaughter, didn't you?"

"Yes, at dinner the other night," he said politely. Emotionlessly. "Cassandra, you remember Madison?"

"Vaguely. Sorry, there were so many names and faces that night."

"You must make it a point to remember names and faces, always! Madison is the oldest child of Dean, Marcus's son. I told you about Marcus, my second husband?"

"Yes. So he is my cousin?"

"Not really, but it is easy to think of it that way. He is no relation to you at all, he is my step grandson."

"I see. It is nice to meet you again, Madison."

"Likewise, Miss Sutton. Grandmother, did you need something?"

"Yes. I need a stand in for the rehearsal dinners. You will not be a part of the wedding party, so you will be free to stand in for her to practice the ceremony. Yes?"

"Of course, anything you ask, grandmother, always," he said pleasantly. "What would you have me do?"

"You won't have to play out the whole part, the boy will be rehearsing his part where he is. All you need to do is stand there and let her practice her part."

"Easy enough," he said politely. "When did you want to do this?"

"We will be running three rehearsals. Tomorrow afternoon we will run the preliminary with the basics. The day after the run through with all of the party. Friday the full dress runthrough so she is ready for the wedding on Saturday."

"Saturday?" I asked, surprised. "Can I see Sterling before Saturday?"

"It is bad luck for the groom to see you before the wedding. And there won't be a wedding if you don't get the rehearsals right. Thank you Madison, you may go. Noon tomorrow in the garden. Now, Cassandra, repeat the nine main houses back to me," Zelda demanded.

I sighed miserably, but did as I was told. I hoped Madison would find a way before Saturday or I would have to really run away again.

That night, he slipped in again while I was reading in bed.

"Hey," he whispered, moving closer. "My friend got in touch. I am meeting him tomorrow night, downtown at a pub. I will let him know about Saturday and we can make a plan to get you out of here Friday night."

1...678910...19