The Valentine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You'll always be welcome, there will be a place for you if you decide you want to come back east," Sterling said quickly, earnestly. "It would make Cass happy to have you close and that would make me happy."

"You're a good man, Sterling. I'm sorry I knew you too late."

The rest of the evening, I felt a pit in my stomach, like this was the last night I was going to have with my Pa. My world was about to change.

Sterling held my hand in both of his, gentle and comforting, like he knew I needed it.

I was up early in the morning, making breakfast for Pa before he left. Sterling sat with me as Pa left on horseback. I couldn't sit still very long.

"I guess I ought to go start packing, just in case," I said as I stood. My heart was aching a bit as I hurried up the stairs.

Sterling darkened my door a moment later and chuckled as he looked around my room. "You don't intend to bring all these penny stories, do you?" he asked, his eyes shining.

I looked around and smiled. "I suppose not. The books, yes. I will leave the stories and let Pa give them to someone. The school maybe."

"You should leave the books as well, I think. I can replace them once we reach Charleston, but they will be a lot to haul around between here and there. We should pack lightly."

"Oh... of course. My clothes, I suppose. The things of my mothers that I want to keep. I will never be coming back, will I?" I asked sadly.

"We can come and visit as much as you want," he answered softly. "And you can write Lizzie and your Pa every day if you like."

I nodded, then looked up at him. "I never thought I might consider leaving here. Marry'n someone I hardly knew and taking off before we even sparked proper and said vows."

"You have my word I will see you happy, Cass," he s

aid softly. "I know it's sudden and I wish it hadn't all happened this way. For you especially."

I shrugged a shoulder and started packing my things. "You have family back east?" I asked as I worked.

"Yes, quite a bit, actually. They are going to adore you. My mother especially."

"You sure?"

"Positive," he answered with another chuckle.

"Sprout?" Pa called from downstairs.

I frowned and hurried down. It was too soon for him to be back!

"I don't think you two should wait," he said breathlessly as we came down. "I heard talk before church. They intend to go tonight and take him out of his home. Run him out of town or worse. The way Pete's Pa was talkin, the aimed to maybe hang him since that's what was coming for Jack. They keep talkin the way they are, they will work themselves up to it sooner than tonight. I stopped and grabbed up clothes, but didn't have time for more. Didn't want anyone to see me there and wonder on what I was doin'."

"No, that's all I need. Thank you Tom, truly."

"It ain't nothin'. What they are planning... They have a thing in their head that ain't true and they are refusin' to believe that Jack is as bad as he is. Come on now, you two get ready while I hitch the team. We'll be through town and gone before they are out of church."

"I will pack for you," Sterling said quickly as Pa hurried out. "You write out your sworn statement to give the Sheriff!" He hurried upstairs and I sat down at the table to write out the statement.

They were both waiting on me to finish as they put our two bags in the wagon and Pa made us a sack of food and cask of tea. I signed my name and jumped up and held it to dry as we rode into town.

Pa pulled up in front of the jail and I hesitated, thinking. Pa helped me down and I went in, still pensive. The sheriff sat up, looking me over.

"That your statement?"

"Yessir," I answered, looking back at Jack who had stood up and come to the bars, staring at me.

I walked up to him slowly, looking up at him sadly. He went to his knees in front of me and reached out, his fingers an inch shy of being able to reach me. "Cass!" he said, his voice choked. "I'm sorry. I should have just asked you, Cass. I should have told you sooner. Been nicer to you. I was a fool. I was showing off, showing them how I didn't even have to try and I would just smile at you once and you would fall into my arms. I thought everyone knew, I told everyone. Everyone but you. I had it all planned out. I just never counted on... Everyone knew he was a dandy, everyone. How could I have figured him in? No one thought he liked girls at all, then suddenly he did. I'm sorry Cass. I went about everything all wrong and I wouldn't swallow my pride. I should have. You were worth being good too and I should have. I should have done nice things for you, given you a card and a candy every Valentines and walked you home and give you flowers and all that. Told you my plans for us, how bad I wanted to marry you."

My heart was breaking as I stood there, watching him pour his heart out. He knew he was done for, but he was still saying he was sorry.

"Jack? I'm leaving here. Leaving to go far away back east, about as far as I can go from here. I ain't coming back and neither is Sterling. I'm going to go be his wife. I... I don't want you to be hanged, Jack. What you did was wrong, very wrong, but I can't make myself feel like it's worth you hanging for. You are sorry, and I think you really are. Sheriff? I... I was willing that day and lied about it. He didn't hurt me."

"Girl," the sheriff said, shaking his head and standing. "You don't have to..."

"It's ok. I'm ok. I have a beautiful life waiting for me with a loving and gentle man. I can forgive this. Jack... be a better man. Find a girl and be good to her. Show her her worth every day. Sheriff... will you please let him go in the morning? I will be long gone by then. He is young and deserves a chance to prove he can be a better man."

I stepped back and tore the statement up, tossing it in the trash before leaving. I hurried to the wagon and Pa helped me back up and looked at me for a moment. "Sprout?"

"It's fine, Pa. Let's get going before church lets out?"

He nodded and we took off. He took us past Strasburg all the way to Waynesville, saying it would be harder for a mob to stay wound up on that far of a journey. He stayed the night there with us before heading back the next morning. I wondered, as he left, if he would be upset that I let Jack go. I hoped Jack would change.

The trip east was longer than I had imagined it would be. I had no idea there was this much world to cover. Sterling talked to me and smiled at me and kept my spirits up. When others were in the coach, he was very personable and polite with all of them. Not easy going like Pa, but very... polite and well mannered. I watched him as we traveled and he was always a perfect gentleman. He always got me my own room at inns when we had to stop and was always very solicitous of me. It was sweet and I liked it, but I still felt like I wished I knew him better. Like I didn't truly know him at all, just this polite mask he gave everyone.

He picked me up stories as we went and I read in the stagecoach, sometimes reading out loud to him just to make him cringe and laugh and beg me to stop torturing him. Those were the moments when I felt like he let some of himself show. Some little part of his true personality.

Once we got far enough east that towns were closer, bigger and busier, things changed a lot. For one, there were multiple inns and sometimes we had to go to a few before we found one with room. The first time that happened, they only had one. Sterling took it, but slept on the floor, letting me have the bed. He did that every time that happened.

The third time, I told him I trusted him and he could sleep on the other side of the bed, but he only shook his head and said that wasn't proper. We weren't married yet. He also hadn't kissed me once since that day by the creek.

I was starting to wonder if maybe he didn't like girls after all. He wasn't giving me much sign that he did, he was just polite and sweet, the same as he was to every woman he came across.

I felt myself becoming guarded and unsure as we got closer to his home.

Still a week out, I was sitting opposite him with my feet up so I could read comfortably when we stopped. A man stepped in and sat next to Sterling before I could move, looking me over. He glanced at Sterling, then did a double take.

"Mr Whittier! It is so good to see you again, are you heading home finally?"

"Hello Mr Roberts, yes. I am heading home."

"Your family will be happy to see you! I saw Janine just last month and she was saying how much your mother was missing you. She had just gotten your latest letter about your students and she was going on and on about them! Did something happen? The school year isn't over yet, is it?"

"Nothing of import," Sterling said with a slight smile, sounding terse. "Business is well, I presume?"

"Yes indeed! Has me gone more than I would like, but Lynda doesn't mind so much I think. The girls mind more, but Lynda keeps them busy with tutors and other lessons. Listen to us go on so rudely," he said, looking over at me and smiling. "I'm George Roberts! It's a pleasure to meet you young lady. You traveling all alone, Miss...?"

"Cassandra Sutton," I answered softly, wondering why Sterling wasn't speaking up.

"Your folks letting you visit family not far off?"

"I'm eighteen."

"Oh, my pardons, please! I did not realize. My daughter Daniella is only 10 and your size. You understand, I am sure."

"Of course, it's no problem."

"Heading to school then?"

"Perhaps," I answered with a nod. "I do plan on seeing the college in Charleston."

"Mr Whittier here lives in Charleston! So do I, but I will be getting off at the next stop. Business, you understand."

"I understand," I agreed with a nod.

"Sterling, perhaps you could show the young lady around? Take her to the school and introduce her to some of your old colleagues."

"Actually, I intend to resume my position there."

"All the better! Miss Sutton, you may have already met one of the professors! I hope you like history, this man can go on about it!"

"Actually, I enjoy literature more than history. Perhaps I will not see so much of him there."

"Indeed? Yes, I see you are reading, what book is that? Oh! A penny dreadful!" he laughed. "Don't show Mr Whittier, I have heard him go on at length over how bad those were for young minds."

"I think I have heard him mention that," I replied, glancing at Sterling. He was staring out the window as if he were bored with the conversation.

"So where are you from, Miss Sutton?" the man asked politely.

"West," I answered softly. "But my folks are from around here. My ma especially."

"Is that so? Perhaps I knew them?"

"Doubtful, you are much younger than them."

"Oh, but around here, names are known even if faces and families aren't. If they are from around here, it is very possible I have heard their names at least! Maybe even know their families."

I nodded. "My Pa is Tom Sutton."

"That doesn't ring a bell," he said thoughtfully. "What about your mother? What was her maiden name?"

"Madison."

"Amelia Madison?" he asked incredulously, sitting up.

"Yes," I answered, seeing Sterling cut his eyes over at me like I had said too much.

"Sutton... the farm boy who took off with her! You are Amelia's child! Well, won't her family be happy to see you!"

I froze, staring at the man with wide eyes.

"Aren't you going to Charleston to meet her family? Your family?"

"I... I wasn't sure who I planned on meeting yet."

"Can you imagine, Sterling? Amelia Sutton's daughter, right here in the flesh! What a splash SHE is going to make when she lands," he chuckled. "And such a lovely little thing too! I heard Amelia was an amazing beauty! Now I think it wasn't an exaggeration! I have half a mind to skip my business and ride on to Charleston with you just to see all the faces when you arrive! Is Allistair picking you up at the livery?"

"I don't know who might be waiting," I answered softly, wondering why Sterling wasn't speaking up. I had family who wanted to see me? And they would be in Charleston too? Had Sterling known that? "Excuse me," I said as politely as I could and buried my face in my story.

The man turned back to Sterling. "I may have to look you up when I get home so you can tell me all about it! I would just love to see the looks on all those faces! Especially the Durham's! Do you know how upset they will be now?"

Sterling made a noncommittal noise and continued staring out the window with disinterest. I frowned down at the page, wishing I knew what was going on. Was he ashamed of me? Didn't want his friends to know he was going to marry a farm girl? Wanted me cleaned up and dressed up and turned into a lady first? Or was this man... one of his dandy friends? A man he liked? And he didn't want the man to know he knew me at all? I was so confused!

The next town seemed an eternity away, even though it was only two hours. As soon as the man stepped off with his exuberant farewells, Sterling quickly switched seats before more people got on. Many more people. We were crowded in and two kids were sitting on the floor while the smaller ones sat on laps.

"Hello, Mr Whittier," an older man said politely from across the seat.

"Mr Johnson," Sterling said politely, with a small nod. He turned to me as the coach began rolling again and put an arm around my shoulders as he leaned in close. "Cass, do not think that is what it was not, I implore you."

"What was it?" I asked, my voice shaky.

"George and I came up together and he was ever the bully. He changed some as he grew, but only into a more devious bully and less showy. He wouldn't punch me in the mouth, but he would gleefully hire a driver to take him to Charleston ahead of us and sabotage everything. He also would have sat telling you stories about me to make me look bad. He may have even tried to lure you away from me. He... There is a lot of old anger between us. That is all. Had I played into it or acknowledged you, things would have been bad. Do not be angry or feel slighted, please?"

"Your arm around me now is the most affection you have shown me since we started this trip," I whispered.

He pulled me in closer, holding me more tightly. "Cass! I will not take advantage of you! Of this forced time alone with you!"

"Even if I wish you would?" I asked, looking up at him. "Just one stolen kiss as we ride?"

He let out a shocked laugh, then lowered his head and closed his eyes. "I am sorry, Cass," he said gently. "You are right. Once we started back this way, I began thinking this way again. Things are a little different here. I shouldn't have expected you to understand that and conform. Back there, a stolen kiss is natural, expected. Holding hands, time alone... it's normal. Back here, it's scandalous for a man and woman to be alone if they aren't married. Kissing... holding hands... it isn't really done until you have been courting for some time and are expecting to be wed soon. It's very different here, especially in... society. Proprieties have to be observed. I fell into that once we started traveling here. I should have explained, I don't know why I assumed you would know. You are so smart, it sometimes escapes me that you don't know some things. You would have no reason to know some things."

"So you aren't ashamed of me?"

"Cass! Cass, no! There is no possible way I could be more proud of you! But I would not let that... man," he said the word like a curse, and like he had almost said something else, "run ahead of us and spread lies and try and cause trouble. As it is, he may be running ahead just to say I am back and you are back, even if he doesn't know we are together. All of the Robert's are huge gossips and malicious besides. They like to stir trouble anywhere they can. I am so immensely proud of you, Cass. Look at you. Smart, sweet, loving, and so incredibly beautiful. I am the luckiest man alive. Look at me. I have hoped for you for a long time now. I am fiercely happy I got up my courage to give you that card, and even happier that you decided to give me a chance, and then come back here with me. I will make you happy you did, Cass."

I nodded, then leaned into his chest as he held me. I felt him go tense, but he pulled me closer and held me against him until the next stop. He helped me out since it wasn't leaving for another hour so we could eat.

The closer we got, the more people he knew. I grew used to being ignored when people he knew got in the coach. Most spoke to me, but I was merely polite and went back to my book, inviting no conversation. Some people he spoke to more warmly, but he still never introduced me.

We were a day out when a woman got on. "Sterling! Sterling Whittier as I live and breathe! You are coming home, finally! Does Victoria know you are coming?"

"Doubtful," Sterling answered, blushing. "Good to see you again, Miss VanDenBerg."

"It's Mrs Mitchell now!" she said smugly as she scooted in close to him so more people could get on. I was squeezed between an older man and a little girl. "If your family knows you are coming, I am sure Vicki does too!" she said happily, arranging her fox fur stole as she leaned in to Sterling.

"My family does not know, I didn't send word ahead. I'm not really going home, I am going back to the college and my position there."

"But surely you will see your family!"

"Of course."

"And Vickie?"

"I am not sure why she might want to hear from me. Last I heard Carl Wallingford was courting her."

"He did not work out. She didn't like his fascination with firearms and all the time away he took with it. A few more have asked after her, but she hasn't married yet. I am sure she is hoping a certain young man would come back and pick up where he left off?"

"I left for a reason, Hestor. I have no interest in Vickie. At all. I am not coming back for her, I would prefer not to see her."

"Sterling! You don't mean that! I didn't realize she hurt you so much, you must really love her!"

"Not at all. I have not thought of her once since I left, I was glad to leave her grasping and angry claws behind," he said, anger apparent in his voice, color blooming on his cheeks. "I am coming back to be married, as it happens. You can let her know she will not be invited."

"You are?!? To who? Do I know her? Is she from here? Have you been writing to her? Corresponding? Is it Lorelai DuPree? She says she has a beau from off and shows off his letters and poetry. It's her, isn't it?"

"It's no business of anyones who she is! I will not have her subjected to scrutiny and gossip and hateful words. That is all I will say on the matter!"

"Well! You are no longer the polite and quiet little man, are you? Seems your time away has made you a bit rough around the edges. Some time home will smooth that right out, I am sure. I will let Vickie know how you feel and I am sure she will want to meet this girl of yours and have some words with her. She already dislikes that Lorelai, I am sure she will have plenty to say to her after this!"

"Vickie has no right to speak to anyone about me. She is a bully and a horrible person. If she had truly wanted to marry me, she never would have treated me as she did. She will not speak of me to anyone at all, least of all Lorelai Dupree who I have not seen or spoken to since we were still in school!"

"Mrs Mitchell," the older man next to me called, distracting her. "I had some business with your father in law. Is he well?"

The ride after that was tense as the older man and Hestor chatted politely to each other. There was still a distinct chill and everyone felt it.

When people got out at the next stop, she scooted all the way over and Sterling switched seats to the same bench I was on. More people got on and a large woman sat between us. I was across from Hestor now and her cold eyes appraised me.

1...45678...19